• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Nekobo

I got my copy today, hooray. My PS3 will be getting some action again, between this and Bioshock.

I'm gonna go fire VC up in a few minutes. :>

Oh, and Alicia is adorable. <3

jsrv said:
Can you switch difficulty on new game +?
New Game +
• Unit levels and stats are intact. Collected weapons, decorations, experience, and money are also still available.
• Story is unlocked by chapter instead of by episode, allowing for a quickened pace.
• Story battles can now be played multiple times.
• Statistics tab added.
In my first game I got 10 As, 14 Bs, 6 Cs, 6 Ds and killed 667 foes.
• Music tab added.
• Hard difficulty in skirmishes unlocked.

zurra

Now that is how you do New Game+!

I feel like I'm going through it "slow" too. Just started chapter 6 with 11 hours played. Did a lot of exp/dct grinding though, just for kicks. I think that's enough of a head start money-wise so I'm not going to do anymore grinding until I run out of money for upgrades or Ellet stuff.

Farnack

Banned
zoku88 said:
Pretty much. If you ever find yourself needing some, you can always do the skirmiish battles (I have yet to need to go there, even though I've gotten a couple of D's on missions >.> )
lol I have level 11 scouts and level 4 everything else before bridge battle. XD

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think it's time to stop worrying about Valkyria's sales as they shouldn't reflect on anything unless you're that harped up on the possibility of a sequel. I have the game loaded in my PS3, I enjoy it immensely. Whether it sells 100K or 700K is inconsequential, I don't need those sales to be a measure of my enjoyment for the game nor anyone else's.

If a sequel to this excellent game comes around, then great. I've been asking for a sequel to Skies of Arcadia for years and the closest I'll ever get to it is Valkyria. Until then, those two games are residing in my collection and nothing can take away the pleasure they have given and continue to give me. Sales data and word of mouth be damned.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mission 7 is awesome. Game goes from turn-based, anime-styled Gears of War to turn-based, anime-styled
Shadow of the Colossus

I was kind of disappointed, though, when
I accidentally ran out of CP with the Edelweiss parked in front of the Batomys, and it just sat there and shot me to no particularly impressive effect. C'mon Maximilian, you love running things over and you're ten times my size. Shouldn't it take more than one piddly little tank parked in front of your treads to stop you dead?

Ditto for when I tried to run Selvaria over with the Edelweiss only to discover I couldn't. Much as I like the game, it could use some more robust options for smashing things with tanks.

El-Suave

I'm in Chapter 10 now and completed one of its two missions.

Except for the mission of chapter 9 the one where you have to stop the,
armored car after the kidnapping
, I liked them all so far. That one was too much of a puzzle that you have to play like the game wants you to.

I've started using orders more recently now that I have gotten the advanced good ones - awesome. Especially
"Order mortar strike"

The unlockable sidestories are quite nice, too - do they all give you a benefit like the
?Largo
one apparently did? Or did I just spend 50000+ moneys just for seeing the crew
in bathing suits
?

buffi

Banned
El-Suave said:
Except for the mission of chapter 9 the one where you have to stop the,
armored car after the kidnapping
, I liked them all so far. That one was too much of a puzzle that you have to play like the game wants you to.

That mission is actually really easy if you
use the "destruction" or whatever order which boosts a units tank-killing capacity. A machine gunner should be able to take down the tank with two or three bursts of shots when under that order. I beat that mission on my first try without issues.

Durante

archnemesis said:
New Game +
• Unit levels and stats are intact. Collected weapons, decorations, experience, and money are also still available.
• Story is unlocked by chapter instead of by episode, allowing for a quickened pace.
• Story battles can now be played multiple times.
• Statistics tab added.
In my first game I got 10 As, 14 Bs, 6 Cs, 6 Ds and killed 667 foes.
• Music tab added.
• Hard difficulty in skirmishes unlocked.
Wow that is awesome. I guess I can overcome my fear of finishing the game (since then it's over :() with such a nice reward waiting for me.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
speedpop said:
I think it's time to stop worrying about Valkyria's sales as they shouldn't reflect on anything unless you're that harped up on the possibility of a sequel. I have the game loaded in my PS3, I enjoy it immensely. Whether it sells 100K or 700K is inconsequential, I don't need those sales to be a measure of my enjoyment for the game nor anyone else's.

If a sequel to this excellent game comes around, then great. I've been asking for a sequel to Skies of Arcadia for years and the closest I'll ever get to it is Valkyria. Until then, those two games are residing in my collection and nothing can take away the pleasure they have given and continue to give me. Sales data and word of mouth be damned.

Good post. I swear to goodness GAF goes off the deepend way too much about this niche shit sometimes.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Leam said:
I just reached that point. I know it's a scene that's been done to death, but i loved
the cutscene where Selvaria stops the tank bullet with her lance. Maybe it's the child in me speaking but i found it sooo cool.
:lol

Yah that was pretty rad indeed, I was all "Holy shit please don't make me fight again..."

"...oh thank god." :lol

Durante

I just did the battle in chapter 13. I thought they'd run out on significant variations at some point, but the battles are still very unique, the trench warfare in this one was great.

It was also the second battle where I needed more than one save
and, probably not coincidentally, also the second battle in which Selvaria showed up :lol

Eww, just played the second mission in chapter 15,
where Selvaria is standing atop the cathedral while spaming extremely lethal interception fire.
I restarted the mission three times before even finishing one single turn. In my fourth try I managed to pull off quite a good start, or so I thought, but with the enemy making its turn the shit really hit the fan.
Snipers everywhere, wtf. ;_;
Turned the game off and now I hate myself for sucking so hard. D:

Baha

speedpop said:

Agreed. I'll still be pining for a sequel since there's so much they can add to this game (new classes, weapons, vehicles, small fixes for the camera when aiming).

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Lancers are destroying me... I can't find a tactic that substancially works against them.

I'm still pretty early on in the game, chapter 4.... what am I doing wrong?

I use armor piercing rounds from the tank, but it seems to take too many hits.

Thanks NeoFAQs

Durante

Start by actually reading the information the game provides for you :p

Lancer armor is very effective against blast damage, but ineffective against bullets.
There are a lot of ways to get rid of them:
- snipe them
- run up to them with a scout or shocktrooper and put a few bullets in their head (they have no defensive fire so this is trivial when no other units are around)
- kill them from short range with your tanks' machine gun

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Durante said:
Start by actually reading the information the game provides for you :p

Lancer armor is very effective against blast damage, but ineffective against bullets.
There are a lot of ways to get rid of them:
- snipe them
- run up to them with a scout or shocktrooper and put a few bullets in their head (they have no defensive fire so this is trivial when no other units are around)
- kill them from short range with your tanks' machine gun

I did read... :( But... maybe I just had a few bad go arounds, because I couldn't find a weapon that worked... oh well.

thanks! I suck.

Baha

El_TigroX said:
I did read... :( But... maybe I just had a few bad go arounds, because I couldn't find a weapon that worked... oh well.

thanks! I suck.

Also, they're extremely weak from bullet attacks from behind.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Baha said:
Also, they're extremely weak from bullet attacks from behind.

I think that's what I'm doing wrong, I can't find my way around them sometimes.

Thanks man.

Durante

Drinky Crow said:
so roughly how long is this game for someone who skips cutscenes and doesn't care about the characters/backstory? shorter is better.
I guess if you skip all the cutscenes (you shouldn't, but I guess it's preferable to you posting long articulate rants about their animeisms), don't do the character sidequests and are efficient in performing the HQ tasks you can get it done in less than 20 hours.

LiquidMetal14 said:
WTF banned already?!?!?!?
Either you're new around here or my sarcasm detector is broken.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Durante said:
I guess if you skip all the cutscenes (you shouldn't, but I guess it's preferable to you posting long articulate rants about their animeisms), don't do the character sidequests and are efficient in performing the HQ tasks you can get it done in less than 20 hours.

Nah I know. Just seeing his post history lol.

slaughterking said:
Eww, just played the second mission in chapter 15,
where Selvaria is standing atop the cathedral while spaming extremely lethal interception fire.
I restarted the mission three times before even finishing one single turn. In my fourth try I managed to pull off quite a good start, or so I thought, but with the enemy making its turn the shit really hit the fan.
Snipers everywhere, wtf. ;_;
Turned the game off and now I hate myself for sucking so hard. D:
I did it! And it took only 17 turns, too... D:
But seriously, that mission was a real bitch.
I captured every base and killed all enemys at the end of turn 7, but then I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to effectively hurt Selvaria. I ended up heckling her with my two tanks and alternate between the two of them so I could shoot her in the back. It felt really wrong and I'm sure there is a very smart and probably obvious way of dealing with her, but I'm just glad this is over. :I

zoku88

Durante said:

Wait, how do you skip cutscenes? Sometimes (when I lose) I don't want to watch a scene over again :-/

The second mission in chapter 15 was quite easy once I figured out
I could use the Isara smoke shell to prevent all incoming fire. Use it either on your camp or on the top of the stairs to block Selvaria's line of sight.

I love this game. I used to play every single Sakura Taisen until the PS2 ones. This game totally remind me of it except the love simulator and the overwhelmingly big cast of female characters which I dont mind since I am a grown man now. By similar, I mean the story structure (i.e. episodes) and the simple yet addictive strategic gameplay.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I just beat chapter 11 (spoilers)

I can't believe what happened to Isara. While she was never on my radar before the game game out, she was developed extremely well and I grown very attached to her. How could they do such a thing? Also, the development between her and Rosie was the most touching thing in the game, I almost cried at Rosie's song. I also loved how they showed a human side to Gregor, then show him as a monster later on in the Concentration Camps.

The game is amazing on every level, there is a sense that I have to just "play one more skirmish" when I come up with new strategies and new methods to beat the level.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
I can't believe what happened to Isara. While she was never on my radar before the game game out, she was developed extremely well and I grown very attached to her. How could they do such a thing?
That's almost exactly how I felt back when I finished chapter 11.
It has been a while since a game managed to surprise me like that.

zoku88

XiaNaphryz said:
Press start.
O_O Really? I swear that I've tried that before. Unless, pressing start doesn't work on the briefings (the only ones I've actually tried to skip.)

Darn, you passed me Hcore >_< I'm at the 2nd battle of chapter 10. I accidentally left the back of my tank exposed (again) and another tank one-shotted it >.>

I felt pretty much the opposite.
Her dying scene was your stereotypical anime kitsch and kinda embarassing actually. I thought it was pretty predictable, too. If one character would die in this game it had to be her.

O_O Really? I swear that I've tried that before. Unless, pressing start doesn't work on the briefings (the only ones I've actually tried to skip.)
Yeah, you can only skip full episodes, not the briefings or the talk inbetween battles.

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:

Darn, you passed me Hcore >_< I'm at the 2nd battle of chapter 10. I accidentally left the back of my tank exposed (again) and another tank one-shotted it >.>

Bah, this is not a race.

I will slow down my pace because this is my only major PS3 purchase this year, and I really don't want the game to end.

Hell, the 40 hour gameplay had me setting high bars since I always go over whatever you guys say. Instead, It looks like I am on track to beating this game in 27 hours.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Bah, this is not a race.

I will slow down my pace because this is my only major PS3 purchase this year, and I really don't want the game to end.

Hell, the 40 hour gameplay had me setting high bars since I always go over whatever you guys say. Instead, It looks like I am on track to beating this game in 27 hours.
I'm kidding, I'm kidding :p I know it's not a race :p

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
I'm kidding, I'm kidding :p I know it's not a race :p

Don't feel too bad, the 2nd battle of Chapter 10 took me a while.

In fact it took me a pitiful 18 turns to beat it :lol

Just take out the two bridge so reinforcements can't arrive, and always keep a team of people following your tank.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Don't feel too bad, the 2nd battle of Chapter 10 took me a while.

In fact it took me a pitiful 18 turns to beat it :lol
Wow, that's terrible. Acutally the first (and only time I've attempted) to play it, I... got a little confused. I don't think I read the map correctly :lol :lol

God, I love Marina so much. <3 her as sniper

I've been on the 2nd battle of chapter 10 for about 2 days now. I keep getting interrupted and I really messed up my first attempt.

I also misread the map. I wasted so much CP early on moving people with low AP over the first bridge, around and over the 2nd bridge. They didn't even catch up to my tank and advance team.
It was only once I got there that I realised I could activate the lift

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
Wow, that's terrible. Acutally the first (and only time I've attempted) to play it, I... got a little confused. I don't think I read the map correctly :lol :lol

Just like always, I have a little caveat for you.

When you get to the flag, aim down. I wasted 2 whole turns looking for what Zaka planted.

zoku88

This game makes me realize how conserative I am in SRPGs. I finish most of them quite slowly. Pretty sad. I think, so far, this game, it's easier to win battles compared to some other SRPGs (like FM4,) but it's somewhat harder to win 'well'. If you know what I mean (although, in some missions in FM4, I ended up not gaining any money.)

Hcoregamer00 said:
Just like always, I have a little caveat for you.
Thanks for the tip
I kinda assumed that it would be above somewhere

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
This game makes me realize how conserative I am in SRPGs. I finish most of them quite slowly. Pretty sad. I think, so far, this game, it's easier to win battles compared to some other SRPGs (like FM4,) but it's somewhat harder to win 'well'. If you know what I mean (although, in some missions in FM4, I ended up not gaining any money.)

Thanks for the tip
I kinda assumed that it would be above somewhere

I assumed the same thing, that is why I am warning you about it :D

On the first statment, same here, this game reminds me that I just plain suck in strategy RPG's. Thank god the game is very forgiving with permadeath or else I would be so screwed.

Also, I love the large female cast, this game is just plain awesome.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
Also, I love the large female cast, this game is just plain awesome.

It is! It keeps getting better and better and the guys are nice too <3

Since everyone is talking about how far they are, I'm going to start chapter 8 and have played more than 12 hours.

Also, I'm not sure, but it looks like it's impossible for mission 7 to take less than 10 turns. Maximilian has to move slowly and break those walls first etc. I got a B with that, but is it possible to get an A (or an S) with these circumstances?

And the new game+ content sounds really nice. I'm definitively going to try it someday.

RpgN said:
Also, I'm not sure, but it looks like it's impossible for mission 7 to take less than 10 turns. Maximilian has to move slowly and break those walls first etc. I got a B with that, but is it possible to get an A (or an S) with these circumstances?

I did it in 9 turns (I got lucky with some anti-armour/ tank killer potentials activating on the final turn) and got an A.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
It is! It keeps getting better and better and the guys are nice too <3

Since everyone is talking about how far they are, I'm going to start chapter 8 and have played more than 12 hours.

And the new game+ content sounds really nice. I'm definitively going to try it someday.

My problem with games with very large casts is that there may be people you can replace with someone else. That there would not be enough personality to make them interesting.

What makes Valkyria so great is that the cast is secondary cast (the recruits) are all so personalized, from the design all the way down to voices and what they hate/love. For example, we have Yoko who is an older woman, a city girl. She has a son and she hates being around Largo because he looks like her husband. Then we have Susie with large golden curls, typical of the "rich girl" stereotype found in anime. Her twist, she is a pacifist who hates violence but joined the army over family honor. Then we have Jann, a gay guy who wears makeup, he "fancies men" and does well with Largo around.

There is just so much personality.

RpgN

Die Squirrel Die said:
I did it in 9 turns (I got lucky with some anti-armour/ tank killer potentials activating on the final turn) and got an A.

That is lucky indeed. I don't know if I should feel good or bad that it involves luck though, the game in general.

Top Bottom