• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zoku88 said:
My active party is almost ALL female ^^

Mine is all female except for Jan (gay guy), Wavy, Cezary, and Coby

I have Marina, Catherine, Edy, Wendy, Susie, Aika, Ramona, Yoko, etc. for the girls.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Mine is all female except for Jan (gay guy), Wavy, Cezary, and Coby
The only males I use are Vyse and that one guy that starts with the L (you know the veggie lover...)

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
My problem with games with very large casts is that there may be people you can replace with someone else. That there would not be enough personality to make them interesting.

What makes Valkyria so great is that the cast is secondary cast (the recruits) are all so personalized, from the design all the way down to voices and what they hate/love. For example, we have Yoko who is an older woman, a city girl. She has a son and she hates being around Largo because he looks like her husband. Then we have Susie with large golden curls, typical of the "rich girl" stereotype found in anime. Her twist, she is a pacifist who hates violence but joined the army over family honor. Then we have Jann, a gay guy who wears makeup, he "fancies men" and does well with Largo around.

There is just so much personality.

I agree pretty much with everything. It's one of the biggest reasons why I love this game. So much detail, care and personality is put into it.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
I agree pretty much with everything. It's one of the biggest reasons why I love this game. So much detail, care and personality is put into it.

I am not shocked, Skies of Arcadia had comparable amounts of detail when it comes to the world design to make it feel natural.

Valkyria took it a couple of levels forward by having such an insane amount of detail for history, weaponry, character design, character personality, and geography. You guys should do yourself a favor and read the glossary for the history of Gallia and you will see just how deep the game delves into everything.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
What makes Valkyria so great is that the cast is secondary cast (the recruits) are all so personalized, from the design all the way down to voices and what they hate/love. For example, we have Yoko who is an older woman, a city girl. She has a son and she hates being around Largo because he looks like her husband. Then we have Susie with large golden curls, typical of the "rich girl" stereotype found in anime. Her twist, she is a pacifist who hates violence but joined the army over family honor. Then we have Jann, a gay guy who wears makeup, he "fancies men" and does well with Largo around.
Yeah, the Potentials are really a stroke of genious for incorporating the characters' traits into the gameplay.

(I just love Jane Turner, the florist turned sadistic empire-hating slaughteress after they destroyed her shop :lol)

RpgN

zoku88 said:
The only males I use are Vyse and that one guy that starts with the L (you know the veggie lover...)

My team is pretty much divided. I have many favourites that I would rather use, but I try to look at their potentials and decide too (desert bread/allergy etc).

That said, I love Jann so I use him often. Salinas, Vyse, Aika, Jane and Homer too. Ps. Have you guys noticed that Karl is gay as well? When you read his updated personal tab?

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am not shocked, Skies of Arcadia had comparable amounts of detail when it comes to the world design to make it feel natural.

Valkyria took it a couple of levels forward by having such an insane amount of detail for history, weaponry, character design, character personality, and geography. You guys should do yourself a favor and read the glossary for the history of Gallia and you will see just how deep the game delves into everything.

I'm plan to read all the glossaries and such once I've finished this tenth chapter. I'm roughly back to where I was in my first attempt, about 2 turns faster and with no deaths so far.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:

Ah, Skies of Arcadia...It does have some too. Very nice and warm little game.

I'm glad they expanded with the detail. Since you're talking about glossary, weapons and personal tabs, I can't help but remember FFXII's glossary. VC always reminds me of it, only done much better. With FFXII, You always had to guess which piece of glossary you would get and isn't organised well. VC did it right and updates at the right time :D

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
Yeah, the Potentials are really a stroke of genious for incorporating the characters' traits into the gameplay.

(I just love Jane Turner, the florist turned sadistic empire-hating slaughteress after they destroyed her shop :lol)

I love it when they would say certain stuff, like whenever Susie would throw a grenade she would grudgingly say "I'm a Pacifist."

Yes, Jane is freaking awesome, I love it whenever she has the Sadist potential. That gives me such a laugh.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Aside from the "it will bomba ill get it when its 30 bucks" riff raff, I realized that I haven't seen 1 single negative poster in here. Admittedly I haven't looked very hard/been around for the JP launch, but still.

Most impressive.

Hcoregamer00

Oh yeah, for the record my main team is

Yoko (lancer)
Jann (lancer)
Edy (shocktrooper)
Wendy (shocktrooper)
Ramona (scout)
Susie (scout)
Catherine (sniper)
and some darksen girl as my engineer (her name totally escapes me)

Outside of the main cast of Largo, Rosie, Alicia, and Welkin.

Baha

SnakeXs said:
Aside from the "it will bomba ill get it when its 30 bucks" riff raff, I realized that I haven't seen 1 single negative poster in here. Admittedly I haven't looked very hard/been around for the JP launch, but still.

Most impressive.

The only things that bother me if at all are 1) camera angle when aiming can sometimes obscure your target but it's not game breaking and 2) sometimes it takes a while to climb over a sandbag or ledge, I wish they assigned that action to a button. The difficulty is fine since it's more trial and error and you can figure things out pretty quickly.

buffi

Banned
SnakeXs said:

Most impressive.

There is a reason for that. This game is seriously amazing.

Hcoregamer00

I was looking at some Japanese website and I found a fanart of Susie :lol

co_11.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
SnakeXs said:

Most impressive.

Hi hi!

Hcoregamer00

Gamer @ Heart said:
So im assuming the main chick on the cover in the bad ass valkyrie? Is she a separate character or some sort of transformation form?

She is a member of the Valkyria race, but her powers are not active the whole time.

Got it? It is pretty hard to describe.

Here is Selvaria before she powers up

388164e7.png

and here is her afterwards, notice the blue aura around her.

a2803063-2.jpg

matmanx1

Now that I have Vyse and Aika I try to rotate them in together whenever possible, for obvious reasons. Outside that I like Jane, Coby, Marina, Yoko and Freesia. When Freesia's "fancies men" potential activates it cracks me up. "Hunks on the left and hunks on the right!" Dallas is cute for an engineer and the fact she's infatuated with Alicia can make for some interesting situations. Definitely +1 for Sega for all the little personality details.

Hcoregamer00

matmanx1 said:
Now that I have Vyse and Aika I try to rotate them in together whenever possible, for obvious reasons. Outside that I like Jane, Coby, Marina, Yoko and Freesia. When Freesia's "fancies men" potential activates it cracks me up. "Hunks on the left and hunks on the right!" Dallas is cute for an engineer and the fact she's infatuated with Alicia can make for some interesting situations. Definitely +1 for Sega for all the little personality details.

It seems that Alicia is quite popular with the men and the ladies.

:lol

RpgN

matmanx1 said:

Or Jann's "Look at those muscles":lol

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
Jann is so freaking great.

There is a reason why he is on my all-girl team (except for 3 other guys)

So true, I don't know why I love him so much or why girls like gays in general, really.

About the Alicia love, doesn't Coby kinds of hates having her around?

kiryogi

Banned
RpgN said:
So true, I don't know why I love him so much or why girls like gays in general, really.

Abou the Alicia love, doesn't Coby kinds of hates having her around?

Yeah, theres a few that don't like Alica, same for Rosie and Largo. Got their share of love and hate.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:

Abou the Alicia love, doesn't Coby kinds of hates having her around?

According to the glossary Coby doesn't like Alicia because it reminds him of his dead daughter who died during EW1.

Which is a pretty damn good reason.

kiryogi said:
Yeah, theres a few that don't like Alica, same for Rosie and Largo. Got their share of love and hate.

I found it funny as hell that Edy hates Rosie because she thinks that Rosie is a better diva than her.

Yoko also hates Largo because he reminds her of her husband.

Hcoregamer00

Speaking of Jann, I find it fascinating that this game has a larger than usual amount (relatively speaking in the videogame world) of Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals. Go Sega, they made a great game and showed a little spine.

jmonteiro

Finally got some time to play VC and it's freaking unbelievable. The presentation, voice cast and story are some of the best I've seen. And the characters are so likable.

I want to split my time between VC, LBP and R2 but I think this is going to have most of my time. What a marvelous game this is.

Hcoregamer00

jmonteiro said:
Finally got some time to play VC and it's freaking unbelievable. The presentation, voice cast and story are some of the best I've seen. And the characters are so likable.

I want to split my time between VC, LBP and R2 but I think this is going to have most of my time. What a marvelous game this is.

Yeah, the English Voice acting is great.

In chapter 11, Rosie's singing was awesome and pushed the English VA's from good to great in my opinion.

jmonteiro

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, the English Voice acting is great.

In chapter 11, Rosie's singing was awesome and pushed the English VA's from good to great in my opinion.

Looking forward to it. I'm only on chapter 3. How many chapters are in the game?

Hcoregamer00

jmonteiro said:
Looking forward to it. I'm only on chapter 3. How many chapters are in the game?

Honestly, I have no idea, I just got to Chapter 12, but I will be slowing down my progress because I don't want the experience to end. I will probably play on the Skirmish levels and come up with new strategies.

It is too amazing, and I don't want to go through the withdrawals after finishing an amazing game.

jmonteiro

Hcoregamer00 said:
Honestly I have no idea, I just got to Chapter 12, but I will be slowing down my progress because I don't want the experience to end.

It is too amazing, and I don't want to go through the withdrawals after finishing an amazing game.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Hcoregamer00

jmonteiro said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously dude, there will come a point where you will realize that the experience will end.

What would you do after that? There will likely be no Valkyria Chronicles 2, and even if there was one, it is not coming out for at least two years.

I rather enjoy the experience, because finishing it will leave a pretty big void (DLC will definitely help on that end). Heck, the moment Valkyria has DLC I will run to best buy to buy a $50 PSN card.

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:
What kind of girls would be considered "Moe?"

Lemme guess, Edy is the shining example.

Oh yeah~

and Susie above is awesome as well.

Also Alicia, Isara, Freesio, and the sniper ladies.

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:
Susie is considered "moe," I wouldn't have guessed.

I just thought she was the typical rich girl like Karin from Street Fighter.

I thought that she would appear to be some kind of spoiled princess with harsh tongue judging from her appearance, but I was wrong, and for delightful reasons.

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
I thought that she would appear to be some kind of spoiled princess with harsh tongue judging from her appearance, but I was wrong, and for delightful reasons.

Same here, I associate girls with curled hair as rich girls. To be fair she is a wealthy girl in the boonies, so it creates an interesting dynamic, especially since she is a pacifist soldier.

Perfect example #1 Karin
f8e0edcf.png

Sinn Fein

RpgN said:
Ps. Have you guys noticed that Karl is gay as well? When you read his updated personal tab?

I'm only on Ch. 8, but I got vibe from his personnel entry too. He also has the same last name as Faldio, if I'm remembering right, and he doesn't look anything like him ... Kinda cool.

I did the Ch. 7 battle in 10 turns. I think that is the limit for A rank. I'm not actually sure how you could do it faster, but maybe I waylaid the tank for a turn earlier on or something. You definitely have to wait for it to do it's thing a few times before you have the opportunity to really get at it.

A lot of you guys are talking about your squad lineups and most used characters, so I have a question about that. Welkin is always out on the field, but do you guys pretty much always use Largo, Rosie and Alicia as well? They are the "commanders" so they give a CP each when on the field per turn right? Others characters can't do that can they?

I could see not using one of them or something depending on the certain battle, but so far I've been using all of them each time with a mixture of others. If you only need one lancer, one scout or one shocker I'll always choose Largo, Alicia or Rosie for those roles for the CP.

Just recently, mostly thanks to dealing with Selvaria and the foot soldiers attacking from above both at the start and later on, I think I've finally gotten a better handle on how sight and range work and you can force enemies to look one way while you move in from another. That's been really key in a lot of ways and something the game didn't just explain straight out (which I personally enjoyed). They give you a lot of the basics, but don't worry about doing everything perfect the first time through or on your first try. Experimentation has been important for me to learn what's possible.

Other I've been using a fair amount include:
Catherine, Cezary and Marina; Herbert, Karl and some Homer; Vyse, Alex,and a little Edy; Yoko, Jann and Walter (Anti-armor boost is nice in ch. 7); Cherry, Noce and some others I can't remember exactly.

Baha said:
The only things that bother me if at all are 1) camera angle when aiming can sometimes obscure your target but it's not game breaking and 2) sometimes it takes a while to climb over a sandbag or ledge, I wish they assigned that action to a button. The difficulty is fine since it's more trial and error and you can figure things out pretty quickly.

I agree on the sandbags thing. They've been a couple of times when I've been trying to crouch-walk my people into a good position only to have them leap over fully exposed to enemy fire. A button command would have been better.

Finally finished the chp.10 battle. Took 10 turns, only got a C, but I did get a medal. Do the medals do anything, other than acts as trophies (note: I don't mean 'Trophies')?

zoku88

UGH, I did so horrible on the 2nd battle of Chapter 10. 15 turns... D-rank >.>

I started looking for the bomb above me too, until I remember what Hcoregamer said.

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
Well, they are doing that one manga...

Well, the opening does talk about love blossoming in the battlefield......

zoku88 said:
UGH, I did so horrible on the 2nd battle of Chapter 10. 15 turns... D-rank >.>

I started looking for the bomb above me too, until I remember what Hcoregamer said.

You will love Chapter 11, it was one of my favorite missions.

spoiler for 11 (do not spoil until you beaten it)
until the sad ending

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I desperately want 1) a second VC (even though I'm only on chapter 7), and 2) an anime series. I think there are so many places you can go with these characters.

As a lot of you guys have said... the characters are simply phenomenal.

I love when Jann gets near Longo. HILARIOUS! :)

As someone else mentioned - I don't think I've ever seen a game with this many gay/lesbian/bi-sexual characters... ever. Plus, it's done respectfully and doesn't make them all just punchlines.

Kagari said:
Vyse is so awesome.

Who is Alex supposed to be? His Likes and glossary entry suggest that he's a childhood friend of Vyse and Aika, which would suggest a SoA connection, but I can't remember him from the last time I played it.

Top Bottom