• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
El_TigroX said:
I desperately want 1) a second VC (even though I'm only on chapter 7), and 2) an anime series. I think there are so many places you can go with these characters.

As a lot of you guys have said... the characters are simply phenomenal.

Seriously, they could choose a character from Squad 7 (lets say Susie or Ramona) and they could easily make an anime about it and tell more about them.

Shahadan

I want this game so much :(
I would have been part of the solution if I had a PS3.

Edit : Wait Vyse & Aika ? :lol Are they also SoA-like in their design ? :eek:

There's a tab called Decorations, but it doesn't show up until after chp.9. So far I've earnt medals for defeating an elite officer, defeating more than 250 enemies, being wounded in the line of duty, earning victory without a single casualty and earning victory with exceptional speed. There seems to be 20 medals overall, unless there's more pages of them I can't access.

Hcoregamer00

Die Squirrel Die said:
There's a tab called Decorations, but it doesn't show up until after chp.9. So far I've earnt medals for defeating an elite officer, defeating more than 250 enemies, being wounded in the line of duty, earning victory without a single casualty and earning victory with exceptional speed. There seems to be 20 medals overall, unless there's more pages of them I can't access.

Hopefully they have trophies soon, because these medals are awesome.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone had a character permanently die? I haven't yet... I refuse to let any of my soldiers die... what happens when they die?

Baha

Die Squirrel Die said:

Cool. Do they unlock anything in the game or are they there for bragging rights?

Hcoregamer00

El_TigroX said:
Has anyone had a character permanently die? I haven't yet... I refuse to let any of my soldiers die... what happens when they die?

I lost three on mission 7 when
Selvaria came out of nowhere and slaughtered my troops.
After that I restarted in frustration so that I wont lose people. I learned my lesson from that point onwards and planned more strategically.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
I lost three on mission 7 when
Selvaria came out of nowhere and slaughtered my troops.
I learned my lesson from that point onwards and planned more strategically.
:lol :lol :lol

I almost lost Largo on that one. I had to send a scout all the way to the beginning of the map
and move the scout behind rocks and pillars so that Selvaria's shots would miss. It's actually kind of funny. Selvaria was shooting at poor Dallis a lot but Dallis kept on dodging XD. Does Selvaria ever target the tank btw? I was afraid of her owning Welkin.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Herbert's moodiness is going to kill me... he doesn't want to do shit... he's going back to the command room.

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
:lol :lol :lol

I almost lost Largo on that one. I had to send a scout all the way to the beginning of the map
and move the scout behind rocks and pillars so that Selvaria's shots would miss. It's actually kind of funny. Selvaria was shooting at poor Dallis a lot but Dallis kept on dodging XD. Does Selvaria ever target the tank btw? I was afraid of her owning Welkin.

No, she doesn't.

But she did quite some damage with it in the background of the three troops she slaughtered.

Now I know the fear of seeing her on screen that the JPN players were talking about. Thank god she doesn't do anything as my avatar. It is one thing to have a crazy killer as your avatar (Dalia Hawthorne), but having a crazy general with superpowers is another story.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Question related to Chapter 7.....

Are Sylveria's troops supposed to move towards you?

I suspected something was coming, but she and her troops never moved towards me, never attacked, nothing....hence the quick A-rank.

Did the game glitch on me?

Hcoregamer00

Metroidvania said:

I suspected something was coming, but she and her troops never moved towards me, never attacked, nothing....hence the quick A-rank.

Ahem

Apparently so, when I replayed it many times Selvaria's troops would go to you and she would slaughter everyone. That is why you hightailed in and ran towards base camp.

Metroidvania said:

They are meant to charge down the ramp towards the Batomys.
So it seems you did get a lucky glitch.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Ahem

Apparently so, when I replayed it many times Selvaria's troops would go to you and she would slaughter everyone. That is why you hightailed in and ran towards base camp.
So,

I happened to be in a really good position. I slaughtered most of her troops (ceptt for one shocktrooper. Of course, she slaughter almost everyone else. Such long range. I started fearing that shooting sound she makes.

zoku88 said:
So,

I happened to be in a really good position. I slaughtered most of her troops (ceptt for one shocktrooper. Of course, she slaughter almost everyone else. Such long range. I started fearing that shooting sound she makes.

I know what you mean, I lost a sniper in the north trench, so ran my engineer back to recover the body. I didn't even look to see where she was shooting, all I could hear was the noise. By the time I managed to get the engineer behind the safety of the tank I noticed that his health was almost entirely gone, one more hit and he would have bit the dust as well.

zurra

Man, you guys are killing me. I'm going to have to grind skirmishes to unlock everyone's final potentials just to learn more about all the awesome characters.

AND I WILL LOVE IT

GAF,

My favorite rpg of all time is FFT (300+) followed my western rpg stuff. I havent touched a jrpg since FFIX. This game looks interesting. Do your best ( or worst) to sell me on this game. I kind of want it but there is a lot to sift through atm (L4D and LBP).

Thanks,

Shinz

Baha

Shinz Kicker said:
GAF,

My favorite rpg of all time is FFT (300+) followed my western rpg stuff. I havent touched a jrpg since FFIX. This game looks interesting. Do your best ( or worst) to sell me on this game. I kind of want it but there is a lot to sift through atm (L4D and LBP).

Thanks,

Shinz

Have you played the demo on the PSN? That will sell you on the game better than anything we can say here imo.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Shinz Kicker said:
GAF,

Thanks,

Shinz

I just explained to a friend of mine that this feels like an evolution in concept of FF Tactics. The game is just remarkably well made and fun and creative and unique.

I haven't felt this way about an SRPG since FF T.

Baha said:
Have you played the demo on the PSN? That will sell you on the game better than anything we can say here imo.

i havent.... because if its really good, i dont need more timesinks until after christmas, i still have the witcher to play as well.

Farnack

Banned
Oh man, the joys of grinding skirmishes and raping the chapter mode.

I'm like chapter 9 with everyone at elite and scouts at level 18. :lol
speedpop said:
Why did I just uncover that spoiler!? *sob*

Oh well. My own fault.
Aeris dies.

imperium

Anyone have any luck picking it up at Circuit City? My attempt was met by blank stares as no one had a clue WTF I was talking about. I had to show them their own add and they still had no idea where the game was. The game doesn't even come up on Circuit City's web site.

Fortunately I drove the quarter mile to Best Buy and they price matched the $44.99 without question. It was night and day in terms of customers and the general feel between the two stores. CC was quite and there appeared to be as many employees as customers. BB had a Santana concert playing on their TV's as you entered the store and the mood was much more festive.

Baha

Ferrio said:
In the mission briefing I was just it sounded like you could teleport troops between bases? Is this possible?

Yes, you can order any troops you have near a base to retreat and then order them back into battle at any other camp you've captured. You can also order different troops into battle that are in your squad as long as you have CP to spare and there's room for them to join.

Ferrio said:
In the mission briefing I was just it sounded like you could teleport troops between bases? Is this possible?

Sort of. If you place the cursor over any bases you have you can call for reinforcements, so long as you have spaces on your squad. It costs 1CP and won't activate until your next turn. So if you have a unit with a low AP, like a sniper, shocktrooper or lancer, that you need to get across a large distance, it might be more CP-efficient to have them retreat at a close base and recall them at a different base, than running them across the map.

rykomatsu

imperium said:
Anyone have any luck picking it up at Circuit City? My attempt was met by blank stares as no one had a clue WTF I was talking about. I had to show them their own add and they still had no idea where the game was. The game doesn't even come up on Circuit City's web site.

Fortunately I drove the quarter mile to Best Buy and they price matched the $44.99 without question. It was night and day in terms of customers and the general feel between the two stores. CC was quite and there appeared to be as many employees as customers. BB had a Santana concert playing on their TV's as you entered the store and the mood was much more festive.

well...CC is going under soon...maybe they don't really give a rats ass about anything anymore? lol

I was just farming some EXP in the second skirmish by using what I like to call the "Rosie Rampage" technique, and me being the dumbass that I am, ended up ending my turn after Rosie's second turn. Unfortunately, Rosie and Welkin were my only characters, for time purposes. Then the enemy began to unleash their assault.

Rosie kicked some motherfucking ass. She killed two scouts and two shocktroopers as the rest of the troops on the right side of the map came running to try to stop the unstoppable.

She then proceeded to occupy the enemy's camp, kick some ass, and blow up a tank in the process.

God, it's official, I am loving this game WAY too much.

mAcOdIn

Well, I'm just going to chime in and say I got the game. It's fantastic. Everyone who likes it should buy it. Now back to try and finish that crazy mission without losing anyone.

zoku88

Farnack said:
Oh man, the joys of grinding skirmishes and raping the chapter mode.

I'm like chapter 9 with everyone at elite and scouts at level 18. :lol

Aeris dies.
I'm on chapter 12 and my highest level is 9 >.>

Lol, you must like Disgaea :lol I can tell you like grinding

rykomatsu

Ferrio said:

a general tactic that I use for the lancers, since their mobility is limited, is to go in with an incomplete batallion, then once i take an upfront base, bring the additional troops in. It gives a little more freedom to move your chess pieces around initially.

zoku88 said:
I'm on chapter 12 and my highest level is 9 >.>
Lol, you must like Disgaea :lol I can tell you like grinding

There's a VERY easy grind that was in the JPN version...not sure about the US version....

zoku88

rykomatsu said:
There's a VERY easy grind that was in the JPN version...not sure about the US version....
Oh, I have an anti-grinding stance in most RPGs. If I die, it's because I wasn't thinking good enough ^^. Therefore, I try and try again :p Very rarely do I ever grind, except in Etrian right now >.>

Alidar

Neo Member
SnakeXs said:
Aside from the "it will bomba ill get it when its 30 bucks" riff raff, I realized that I haven't seen 1 single negative poster in here. Admittedly I haven't looked very hard/been around for the JP launch, but still.

Most impressive.

I think part of it is that only 10,000 people bought the title, knowing they'd really dig this kind of game. It's not the kind of game an average person would pick up off the shelf and give it a shot, even if they could find it. But yeah, I'm very early in but loving it myself as well. It is an exceptional game for those who like the genre.

JEKKI

question!!

when you kill an enemy and walk next to the body it's like it disappears or like you pick it up or something???

what does that do???

thanks!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
JEKKI said:
question!!

when you kill an enemy and walk next to the body it's like it disappears or like you pick it up or something???

what does that do???

thanks!

It just gets them out of the way, since they can do that to you as well, and permanently kill your troop by doing so.

Also
there's some "ace" enemies in just about every level that usually have a full name, and they seem to drop special weapons.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
JEKKI said:
question!!

what does that do???

thanks!

In some cases, I believe if it is a
"named" enemy, it will give you an enemy weapon.

I, too, am curious about the easy-grind skirmish level.

sonicmj1

zoku88 said:
Oh, I have an anti-grinding stance in most RPGs. If I die, it's because I wasn't thinking good enough ^^. Therefore, I try and try again :p Very rarely do I ever grind, except in Etrian right now >.>

I ought to take an anti-grinding stance in most RPGs.

The moment I begin to grind out of necessity or perceived necessity, I stop playing the game for good.

JEKKI

SnakeXs said:
It just gets them out of the way, since they can do that to you as well, and permanently kill your troop by doing so.

Also
there's some "ace" enemies in just about every level that usually have a full name, and they seem to drop special weapons.
well I jus beat chapter 3 and at the end it said I got a weapon!

so.... look out for doods with names then?? sounds good!

Hcoregamer00

Die Squirrel Die said:
I know what you mean, I lost a sniper in the north trench, so ran my engineer back to recover the body. I didn't even look to see where she was shooting, all I could hear was the noise. By the time I managed to get the engineer behind the safety of the tank I noticed that his health was almost entirely gone, one more hit and he would have bit the dust as well.

Hearing her zip from one place to another instilled so much fear in me.

I call it the "Swooshing sound of death."

Don't even get me started on hearing her aim that large sword at me.

That's why I am glad she is my avatar and nothing more.

Top Bottom