• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
If we are talking about awesome characters, how can we forget about Wendy?

This girl blew up her house testing explosives, and then she joined the army to test explosives on the imperials. She is so freaking insane :lol

Yazuka

I've asked this before but never got an answer since there was not enough info then.
Does anyone know who the english voiceactors are?
I haven't been able to get this game yet (later this month or next, sadly). And I really want to know who voices who in the english version.

Hcoregamer00

Yazuka said:
I've asked this before but never got an answer since there was not enough info then.
Does anyone know who the english voiceactors are?
I haven't been able to get this game yet (later this month or next, sadly). And I really want to know who voices who in the english version.

I don't know, but the main cast sounds so familiar.

I bet that there are some very very familiar voices in there for the Anime fans.

sonicmj1

Question: How are S ranks determined?

For instance, I've cleared the Chapter 6 Desert mission in 2 turns. The Gamefaqs guide from the Japanese version says an S rank requires it to be done in 3 turns or less. Yet I got an A rank. Why?

Does it have to do with the number of soldiers you use? For instance, if I only used one person, would I get a better rank than if I used five or six people?

Flakari

Banned
zoku88 said:
:lol :lol :lol

I almost lost Largo on that one. I had to send a scout all the way to the beginning of the map
and move the scout behind rocks and pillars so that Selvaria's shots would miss. It's actually kind of funny. Selvaria was shooting at poor Dallis a lot but Dallis kept on dodging XD. Does Selvaria ever target the tank btw? I was afraid of her owning Welkin.
I don't know if this has been said or not but,
Selveria's weapon in chapter 7 (don't know if she gets a new attack (at chapter 8)) doesn't affect the Edelweiss. Feel free to use it as a shield for lancers or engineers.

Yazuka

Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't know, but the main cast sounds so familiar.

I bet that there are some very very familiar voices in there for the Anime fans.
Yeah, that's what I think to.
I've heard someone say that Welkin is voiced by Dave Wittenberg. (Allen in Xenosaga, Kakashi in Naruto. And so on...)
I'd really like to know who voices Selvaria.

Hcoregamer00

sonicmj1 said:

For instance, I've cleared the Chapter 6 Desert mission in 2 turns. The Gamefaqs guide from the Japanese version says an S rank requires it to be done in 3 turns or less. Yet I got an A rank. Why?

Does it have to do with the number of soldiers you use? For instance, if I only used one person, would I get a better rank than if I used five or six people?

Check the objectives mid-mission, they tell you what rank you can currently get if you beat the mission in that turn.

Yazuka said:
Yeah, that's what I think to.
I've heard someone say that Welkin is voiced by Dave Wittenberg. (Allen in Xenosaga, Kakashi in Naruto. And so on...)
I'd really like to know who voices Selvaria.

Alicia sounds like Rikku

Quick, someone beat the game to tell us the English VA's

Yazuka

Hcoregamer00 said:
Alicia sounds like Rikku

Quick, someone beat the game to tell us the English VA's

Ohh, nice.
Do the english voice actors even get credit in the game? if they do, I would love if someone could post a list.

Hcoregamer00

Yazuka said:
Ohh, nice.
Do the english voice actors even get credit in the game? if they do, I would love if someone could post a list.

I have no idea, but they should considering the superb job they did in Valkyria Chronicles.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I have no idea, but they should considering the superb job they did in Valkyria Chronicles.

Under a clause in the voice actors guild, they'll probably remain anon. I forget the reasoning to be exact. It was something about protecting them. Anywho, this was something debated during Vesperia and other games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sonicmj1 said:

Looks like A ranks in the US version are the top ranks, so it's the equivalent of S ranks in the Japanese version.

Rank is only determined by how many turns you take to finish.

Hcoregamer00

kiryogi said:
Under a clause in the voice actors guild, they'll probably remain anon. I forget the reasoning, but this was something debated during Vesperia and other games.

Dammit, this is irritating.

If someone does a good job doing the voice acting in the game, it is proper that they should get credited for it.

This pisses me off.

XiaNaphryz said:
Looks like A ranks in the US version are the top ranks, so it's the equivalent of S ranks in the Japanese version.

What?

Are you serious? This is pretty irritating also because American gamers are accustomed to seeing S ranks above the A ranking in this ranking totem pole.

Yazuka

kiryogi said:
Under a clause in the voice actors guild, they'll probably remain anon. I forget the reasoning to be exact. It was something about protecting them. Anywho, this was something debated during Vesperia and other games.
So then it has nothing to do with the game developers being to cheap to give credit to english VA? That's what I've always thought...

Hcoregamer00 said:
Dammit, this is irritating.
If someone does a good job doing the voice acting in the game, it is proper that they should get credited for it.

This pisses me off.
I feel the same way. I've only heard people say good things about the VA in this game. Even from people who dislike english VA. So I'm pretty impressed with that.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, try to find the actual credits for any of the voice actors in other Namco RPGs. You won't. They'll credit the studio, but won't credit the actors.

edit: another example, check out atlus games too. No ones credited specifcally in Persona 3. We only know Vic, Michelle etc because they came out themselves saying they did the roles. But you won't see them in the credits.

rykomatsu

kiryogi said:

there's an actual VA guild in the US? I didn't think there were enough in the US to even merit one lol

RpgN

XiaNaphryz said:

Interesting...I wonder if the same applies with the DLC packs. You know, some Japanese importers said you would get a third map if you clear 2 mission with an S rank. I guess that will be an A for us?

kiryogi said:
Yeah, try to find the actual credits for any of the voice actors in other Namco RPGs. You won't. They'll credit the studio, but won't credit the actors.

edit: another example, check out atlus games too. No ones credited specifcally in Persona 3. We only know Vic, Michelle etc because they came out themselves saying they did the roles. But you won't see them in the credits.

That's really weird. I don't usually care about who is doing the voice-overs (as long as it's good), but that must be really lame of others who want to know more about them. I mean, some companies brag about the people they hired.

kay

Hee hee kaboom.
2i6l7pj.jpg

Dead Man

Does any Aussiegaf have a source for this in Adelaide? I work in the city and my lack of car makes it hard to get to suburban stores, JB is out, EB never had it as far as I can tell, TRU doesn't have it either. Any I'm missing? Trying to avoid getting raped by Myer/Target/Harvey Norman

Defuser

I finally got the game after so damn long delays.

I'm currently watching the prologue in Japanese and I got a complaint which would be the English translation is sooooooo off and inaccurate. It's quite bothering for me.

buffi

Banned
Defuser said:

I'm currently watching the prologue in Japanese and I got a complaint which would be the English translation is sooooooo off and inaccurate. It's quite bothering for me.

Yeah, the translation for the Japanese dialog seems to be a transcript of the dubbed English dialog instead of a proper translation (a.k.a. dubtitle). The overall meaning of the script is pretty much correct, but there seems to be minor translation issues in pretty much all of the phrases.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
archnemesis said:
Yes. They're in the end credits. I usually don't pay attention to voice actors, so I don't remember any specific names.

I'm not very well versed in English game/anime dubs, but I did notice Dwight Schultz (Murdock in A-Team) was in the credits (as Borg and another character).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Defuser said:

I don't think I've ever seen non-"dubtitles" in a game with both English and Japanese voice tracks. English subtitles will follow English dubs.

And before someone yammers for a proper English translation of the Japanese track - just be glad it even has a Japanese track.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Tempy said:
I'm not very well versed in English game/anime dubs, but I did notice Dwight Schultz (Murdock in A-Team) was in the credits (as Borg and another character).

o_O

Holy shit, awesome game gets awesomer.

Farnack

Banned
zoku88 said:
I'm on chapter 12 and my highest level is 9 >.>

Lol, you must like Disgaea :lol I can tell you like grinding
I just like having an advantage in strategy RPGs, but this game still makes you think pretty hard even if you are higher level. Leveling is just a slight boost (except level 11 scouts) of help, but enough to be helpful. The game still makes strategy most important.

I finally got Vyse last night after reloading like 10 times hoping he would appear. So far I'm loving it. It's managed to pry me away from LittleBigPlanet, which is definitely no small feat. I second the opinion that this game is reminiscent of Dragon Force. Not so much in the battle system, but more stylistically and spiritually if that makes any sense. I think part of it comes from the emphasis on each character being their own individual with their own little quirks and advantages. I don' t know, it just feels undeniably like a classic Sega RPG and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Farnack

Banned
baphometbones said:
I finally got Vyse last night after reloading like 10 times hoping he would appear. So far I'm loving it. It's managed to pry me away from LittleBigPlanet, which is definitely no small feat. I second the opinion that this game is reminiscent of Dragon Force. Not so much in the battle system, but more stylistically and spiritually if that makes any sense. I think part of it comes from the emphasis on each character being their own individual with their own little quirks and advantages. I don' t know, it just feels undeniably like a classic Sega RPG and I'm enjoying every second of it.
They appear by random chance?

I go Vyse on my second mission.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
baphometbones said:
I finally got Vyse last night after reloading like 10 times hoping he would appear.
I didn't realize they were random... I got Vyse and Aika right from the start... that's weird. I guess I'm lucky.

Durante

Tempy said:
I don't think I've ever seen non-"dubtitles" in a game with both English and Japanese voice tracks. English subtitles will follow English dubs.

And before someone yammers for a proper English translation of the Japanese track - just be glad it even has a Japanese track.
Yeah, that's the next project after dual audio is industry standard :D
(Though I actually find it interesting sometimes to see/hear what they changed in the localization process)

Anyway, regarding the audio, I never played with English dub outside of the demo, so I have a question: is the lip-synching good? Because it fits very well with the Japanese audio and I wonder if they re-did it (or maybe just took special care with the English recording).

zurra

I haven't noticed any problems with the lip syncing for the dub, but it doesn't look like they redid it. Chalk it up to special care.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:
What?

Are you serious? This is pretty irritating also because American gamers are accustomed to seeing S ranks above the A ranking in this ranking totem pole.
Pretty sure. I finished the first story mission in 1 turn and got an A. There isn't any faster way to complete that mission, and others have mentioned this as well on other forums.

Raistlin

I was away this weekend ... can someone say what happened with that Circuit City deal?

Is it available in store? On sale now? The 11th?

El_TigroX said:
I didn't realize they were random... I got Vyse and Aika right from the start... that's weird. I guess I'm lucky.

Yup, totally random. My boss got both on the first go as well. I kept getting one or the other but not both at the same time. I have terrible luck with these things.

Does anyone know how many characters are available in total?

Hcoregamer00 said:
FUCK, judging from this threads movement (or the lack thereof) this game will sell like shit.

Which means no Valkyria Chronicles 2.

I always said that the future of the franchise is dependent on western sales (read my damn post history), but hearing it from the horse's mouth that they WANT to make a Valkyria Chronicles 2 and that the onus is on the Western markets to buy the game is very different.

Valkyria Chronicles is ranked #27 in top 100 most wanted FAQs on GameFAQs, and has been on the chart for only 11 days. That's not too bad considering how difficult it is to obtain this game. Don't worry too much. There are lots of places which still haven't gotten their copies yet either.

speedpop said:
I think it's time to stop worrying about Valkyria's sales as they shouldn't reflect on anything unless you're that harped up on the possibility of a sequel. I have the game loaded in my PS3, I enjoy it immensely. Whether it sells 100K or 700K is inconsequential, I don't need those sales to be a measure of my enjoyment for the game nor anyone else's.

If a sequel to this excellent game comes around, then great. I've been asking for a sequel to Skies of Arcadia for years and the closest I'll ever get to it is Valkyria. Until then, those two games are residing in my collection and nothing can take away the pleasure they have given and continue to give me. Sales data and word of mouth be damned.

Well said! WELL SAID. If a game is good, it will sell itself.

maskrider

radiantdreamer said:
Valkyria Chronicles is ranked #27 in top 100 most wanted FAQs on GameFAQs, and has been on the chart for only 11 days. That's not too bad considering how difficult it is to obtain this game. Don't worry too much. There are lots of places which still haven't gotten their copies yet either.

Yes, this game seems to be quite hard to get, I had received the 3rd delay e-mail from cd-wow.com today, damn ! When will SEGA UK delivers ?

I think I'll be able to get my US VC tomorrow, though. I already lost count on how many hours I have played the Japanese version.

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
Well said! WELL SAID. If a game is good, it will sell itself.

I disagree, there are many good quality games that fall by the wayside, while many average games sell incredibly well thanks to million dollar marketing efforts.

Good games don't sell themselves, it needs the userbase along with some marketing muscle to make it sell.

Durante said:
Anyway, regarding the audio, I never played with English dub outside of the demo, so I have a question: is the lip-synching good? Because it fits very well with the Japanese audio and I wonder if they re-did it (or maybe just took special care with the English recording).

You could always play the game in English?

Hcoregamer00 said:
I disagree, there are many good quality games that fall by the wayside, while many average games sell incredibly well thanks to million dollar marketing efforts.

Good games don't sell themselves, it needs the userbase along with some marketing muscle to make it sell.

I say we are both right. A good game will sell itself, as in anyone that knows about it WILL buy it. Marketing helps expose it to people that don't know about it.

You can have a wicked marketing campaign but if the game sucks, it won't sell. Likewise, you can have the best game in the world, but if nobody knows about it, it won't sell.

Average games are the "grey area" so I'd say that shouldn't be part of the argument.

BTW, neogaf may not be lit up, but it seems the VC board at GameFAQs has about 42 pages of topics. The last locked topic is at page 23 or so, dated november 2nd. This means that this board is very very active.

Leam said:
Try to keep that innocence for as long as you can :lol

Don't under estimate the power of word of mouth. It's at least gotten VC that much exposure.

It also got me buying Theresia, which I had no idea existed until 3 days before release date. It's also how youtube and google prospered.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
What skirmish is everyone using to level up? I've been just sticking with 1, because I can get 1,800 exp in just a few minutes... I tried playing Skirmish 3 last night and it took FOREVER. I sucked at it the first go around in the story mode and sucked again.

I'm only on the beginning of Ch. 7, haven't gone through the crazy mission that everyone keeps referencing.

matmanx1

Speaking of voice actors, does anyone think the Aged Gentleman sounds JUST like a certain Ninja Cyborg from MGS4? I got chills the first time I heard him speak...

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
I say we are both right. A good game will sell itself, as in anyone that knows about it WILL buy it. Marketing helps expose it to people that don't know about it.

You can have a wicked marketing campaign but if the game sucks, it won't sell. Likewise, you can have the best game in the world, but if nobody knows about it, it won't sell.

BTW, neogaf may not be lit up, but it seems the VC board at GameFAQs has about 42 pages of topics. The last locked topic is at page 23 or so, dated november 2nd. This means that this board is very very active.

I agree to a certain extent, but we forget one very important facet of marketing.

The audience that they are aiming for. Unfortunately, Valkyria has a very strong anime style (unfortunately in terms of marketing, don't get me wrong, I love the anime style). That automatically limits the audience quite a bit since many people HATE this style. Tales of Vesperia is a shining example of an extremely high quality game that should have MASSIVE sales based on quality, yet it is not doing so because of the aesthetic that turns many westerners off.

So when a company markets something that has an art style that repels many westerners, how do they target the game for a mainstream audience? That is very hard indeed. This explains why Sega has been extremely conservative in its shipping numbers (which means that they likely had a VERY LOW print run). Sega themselves knew that this game would inherently have two things that would prevent sales, the SRPG subgenre that doesn't have the massive appeal of traditional RPG's along with an art style that limits its potential market.

This is something that no marketing would have helped, same thing goes with positive reviews and word of mouth. In this case, Valkyria will be an example of a game that is a high quality game that doesn't sell itself. Sure word of mouth sales would maybe garner an extra 50k for sales, but it wont produce a large difference.

Top Bottom