• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

KTallguy

Banned
I really love this game. It's great.

A lot of talky talky at the beginning, which was nice but not what I was in the mood for.
Looks like there's less talky now that I'm in the meat of the game.

Alidar

Neo Member
Dyne said:
No, even though it's a really great game, the only similarities are the antagonists and the appearance of Vyse and Aika as playable. :)

You should play SoA anyways.

The antagonists are related, or are just cut from the same mold? Or is that a spoiler?

And I'm definitely playing SoAL in the near future. Looking forward to it.

Volcynika

Alidar said:
The antagonists are related, or are just cut from the same mold? Or is that a spoiler?

And I'm definitely playing SoAL in the near future. Looking forward to it.

The inclusion of SoA characters in VC is more like a fanservice thing. It doesn't affect any direct story element.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well, chapter 14...I have to admit that
Seeing zombie valkyria Alicia smoke the competition brought a smile to my face.

Metroidvania

Durante said:
Argh.
That spoiler is for chapter 14, and I have yet to finish chapter 14 >:|

Ack, my bad.

Hadn't saved yet, and was just doing that as I posted this, thought it was still 13.

Still....not like you couldn't see it coming, given how blatant the story makes it.

Again, my bad. :(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
True. Still, I thought it was worth pointing out.

They freaking spoil it in the opening.

If you were too dense to connect the dots after the opening, it is implied very heavily in
Chapter 7 and in Chapter 12.

Spike

Well, I came across the game today. It was the only copy that the local Blockbuster video had received and it was for sale only.

I decided to wait on it. I really want the artbook, and EB tells me that it's off the upcoming release list so it should be in stores in the next few days. I'm going to take the chance and hope they get it in. They better get the artbook.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Chapter 7's battle was CRAZY. I got a B rank and no one died (permanently... there was blood all over those sands)... I'll take that as a victory.

I wish I never had to sleep... this game is so much fun.

Shadow780

Chap 7 is fucking epic, spent an hour on that stage to get A rank (going all A first playthrough here),

On turn 9 I was down to my last lancer, engineer and tank, thanks to
that uber hawt busty valkyria who slaughtered everyone else :). Fortunately I got 20 orders to spare and my tank took it all out on Maxmillian after engineer 'nade the last radiator.

Am exhausted now...*yawn*

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
Chap 7 is the epic, spent an hour on that stage to get A rank (going all A first playthrough here),

On turn 9 I was down to my last lancer, engineer and tank, thanks to
that uber hawt busty valkyria who slaughtered everyone else :). Fortunately I got 20 orders to spare and my tank took it all out on Maxmillian after engineer 'nade the last radiator.

Am exhausted now...*yawn*

Yeah, it seems that no matter who you talk to, the experience in Mission 7 was
one of absolute fear as Selvaria moved around killing everyone.

kiryogi

Banned
My chapter 7 experience wasn't as bad as everyone's it seems. Well it was in a different way. Being that I played the JP version, I couldn't quite figure out how to go about the stage for awhile there. I was like 1 wall away from failure. So that actually helped a lot since it didn't trigger her until near the end. Not to mention I ended up saving TONs of CP. Which by then, I was able to to fend her off and pull the an absolute last minute victory. I used Welkin to protect my lancers and save Vyse amongst others. :lol Given, she did scare the living daylights out of me, it was only a short scare.

Farnack

Banned
LOL Chapter 10, I used Alicia with some order powerups to run past like 2 medium tanks and 3 intercepting soldiers. XD So powerful!
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, it seems that no matter who you talk to, the experience in Mission 7 was
one of absolute fear as Selvaria moved around killing everyone.
Lol, good thing I saved before two of my guys died that turn.

Alidar

Neo Member
Spike said:
I decided to wait on it. I really want the artbook, and EB tells me that it's off the upcoming release list so it should be in stores in the next few days. I'm going to take the chance and hope they get it in. They better get the artbook.

For what it's worth, I preordered at GS and they never got any artbooks.

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
Any VC Dōjin out yet?

With this many female characters should be a great source of materials~~*wink-wink*

:D

They are not even scanlating the damn Manga that was supposed to start, forget anything about Dojinshi.

Freaking pervert (Yeah, quote my tag like I know you will) :p

Ferrio

Banned
Currently just got my ass kicked in Ch 7, some big ass fucking tank. I hate this scripted "Oh you can't kill it yet"

Anyways, I had a person climb ontop of the tank.. how do they hurt the radiators up there? Lancers?

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:
They are not even scanlating the damn Manga that was supposed to start, forget anything about Dojinshi.

Freaking pervert (Yeah, quote my tag like I know you will) :p

Hcoregamer00
(Today, 01:35 AM)
Reply | Quote

Nothing wrong with that!~:D

Tifa4.jpg

Shadow780

Ferrio said:
Currently just got my ass kicked in Ch 7, some big ass fucking tank. I hate this scripted "Oh you can't kill it yet"

Anyways, I had a person climb ontop of the tank.. how do they hurt the radiators up there? Lancers?

'nade it with scouts, shocktroopers, or engineers

Farnack

Banned
buffi said:
I'm currently at chapter 12 and decided to try out Skirmish 5.
It can easily be cleared in 3 turns if you know what you are doing which makes it an insanely good grinding point if you are into that kind of stuff.

I probably wont bother grinding it though since it will most likely make the game a bit too easy later on :)
Lol quoting this again cuz I just tried skirmish 5. XD

I did it in two turns only using Alicia!

Metroidvania

Farnack said:
Lol quoting this again cuz I just tried skirmish 5. XD

I did it in two turns only using Alicia!

Yeah, 5 is pretty damn easy once you have the
Isara smoker

Just bomb the region above your base, and gun it with Alicia or another scout, maybe a "caution" or defense+evade order, and you're set.

Personally though, I can't wait until my scouts get their potential that lets them
have a chance of refreshing their entire move bar

I just wanted to say I finally finished this game. I had not played a game this consistently (2 epic marathon sessions lasting 12+ hours) since Metal Gear Solid back in 1998 (not counting Zelda games - I play all of them non-stop till I beat them but they could suck and I would still do that because I absolutely will not tolerate spoilers for that series).

Best game of this generation, and I absolutely can't wait till some other developers notice it (hopefully). It's a bit obscure and won't sell well (didn't do well in Japan or EU), but it's definitely high quality. I dearly hope Nintendo sees this game and will make the next 3D Fire Emblem just like this system - I would go nuts.

The depth in this game and the level of design is just "wow". And heck yes, it was actually difficult to beat this game and took several tries for most missions (though a few missions in the last 1/3 of the game before the final few missions were a bit on the easy side, IMO).

This game rules, go buy it now if you own a PS3.

I so wish there was an online versus mode for this game...

Farnack

Banned
Metroidvania said:
Yeah, 5 is pretty damn easy once you have the
Isara smoker

Just bomb the region above your base, and gun it with Alicia or another scout, maybe a "caution" or defense+evade order, and you're set.

Personally though, I can't wait until my scouts get their potential that lets them
have a chance of refreshing their entire move bar
Lol I got that last potential. Now I beat skirmish 5 in two movements. XD

ONE TURN!

Ferrio

Banned
Beat Ch 7. Got a B rank for the first time, desperately needed that money... damn didn't know you got so much.
Wish I had figured out earlier you can injure all the radiators to 1 hit, then take them out one by one.

Also Damn Lenneth and her drill that will pierce the heavens.

Farnack

Banned
Oh man oh man... getting further into the story. Omg what's gonna happen!?! >_<

lol @ skirmish 7

Beating it in one turn.

Amazingly, I beat skirmish 6 in one turn as well.

I followed a walkthrough pretty slavishly for battle 7, and did fine up to
Selvaria
. I managed to squeeze my tank between a rock and the boss so she couldn't seem to find a way all the way around, and just stood there trying to shoot through me.

maskrider

Got the US version, state of the UK version is still unknown, heh !

Installing at the moment, haven't played the game from scratch for a while.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
SiegfriedFM said:
I followed a walkthrough pretty slavishly for battle 7, and did fine up to
Selvaria
. I managed to squeeze my tank between a rock and the boss so she couldn't seem to find a way all the way around, and just stood there trying to shoot through me.

That's what I did too. She came out, whacked a few guys, then went after my tank and I kept her on one side of the map while i evacuated everyone to higher ground.

That mission was just completely awesome. The only time I REALLY had trouble was when he hit my tank with a big blast from the front and when the radiator came up, I couldn't get a person up the ladder because
Selvaria
was standing RIGHT in front of the ladder...

I'm on Chapter 6, and I've clocked in about 13 hours.

I hope this game lasts forever. :(

It would be super cool if we got a quality animation out of this. I can just imagine so many scenes animated. It would be great.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah I am taking my time with this game, still up to Ch 7. That white haired witch drilled me again so I gotta do it all over again.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
U K Narayan said:
I'm on Chapter 6, and I've clocked in about 13 hours.

I hope this game lasts forever. :(

It would be super cool if we got a quality animation out of this. I can just imagine so many scenes animated. It would be great.

The only one I can sorta think of that's like this is Pumpkin Scissors. I only watched 4 episodes, but it was similar in concept... WWII era Europe with a tank group and interesting characters.

I can't vouch for the quality post episode 4, but it kept me interested when I watched it.

Hcoregamer00

Haha, Chapter 7 seems to be quite the mission.

Hopefully you guys will get past it to get to awesome missions like Chapter 10 and 11.

Dragon

Banned
speedpop said:
Yeah I am taking my time with this game, still up to Ch 7. That white haired witch drilled me again so I gotta do it all over again.

Yeah I'm on this mission also but reading some of Ellet's reports before trying again.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
dralla said:
just curious, what class are Vyse and Aika [i think that's her name]

They are the assault guys with the machine guns... I can't remember the exact name of the class... man I fail.

I was doing a recap of the story, before I entered the skirmish on Chapter 6. Surprisingly, it took almost two hours! I don't remember the story sections being this lengthy. :lol

Volcynika

Durante said:
I'm quite sure that Aika is a scout, actually. Don't know about Vyse, I don't use male characters :p

Sexist!!!11!!

Also, I would like to vouch my own appreciation about unit profiles to read. One of them, my sniper, seemed a bit interesting, so I read up on him (or her, I forget the name). Turns out
They're great on friendship, but feel kinda bad about an earlier incident where a lack of sniper rounds left them helpless to watch a fellow comrade die.
I was all :eek: about it.

Volcynika said:
Sexist!!!11!!

Also, I would like to vouch my own appreciation about unit profiles to read. One of them, my sniper, seemed a bit interesting, so I read up on him (or her, I forget the name). Turns out
They're great on friendship, but feel kinda bad about an earlier incident where a lack of sniper rounds left them helpless to watch a fellow comrade die.
I was all :eek: about it.
I think that's Catherine O'Hara. She's pretty ace.

Top Bottom