• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

RpgN said:
o_0 What?! I finished the first mission of chapter 10 and I'm over17 hours. If I take the second mission into consideration, I might finish it in 18 hours. What have you been doing? Because I did the skirmish missions at least once and read all the glossary too.
I buy everything and level up my troops at least once per chapter. So, I replay skirmishes quite a bit.

I enjoy the English voice acting so much that I don't think I'll be bothering with the Japanese VA at all. Right now, whenever I envision a certain character, I can only picture them with their English voice. To me, that's how they should sound; they sound natural.

U K Narayan said:
Anyway, I just beat Chapter 10 and I almost have 30 hours clocked in. I swear, I'm probably the only person on earth who won't be beating this game until I've gotten at least 40 hours worth of gameplay in. It isn't deliberate, either. I'm just taking my time.

I wish this game would last forever, though. :(

Start of Chp.15 I've already got 55 hours on the clock. Even if I take away the time idling, I'd still have to add the time spent reloading and going back to old saves. I like to save at the start of battle, do an exploratory first round, get a feel for the lay of the land, and see what the enemy does, reload and try to make a perfect opening turn. If I'm satisfied I carry on, but if I'm not I restart and refine it more.

Then there are times where I play skirmishes just for the fun of it, not even for Exp or Dct, particularly now I've unlocked most of the skirmish maps.

Durante

21addlf.jpg

Please give me DLC where I can kill him.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Start of Chp.15 I've already got 55 hours on the clock.
Now that's just crazy.

Durante

U K Narayan said:
So, is there any idea how much this game has sold yet?
Outside of Japan? No. (There it was 150k according to Sega's financial report)

For the US we may get to know something in a month, but it's really rather unlikely (even if it does well by all standards it won't enter the top 10 and we usually only get numbers for that). For Europe the only reliable way to tell will be Sega's next report, which will take quite a while yet.

Facism

no justice. if this had even a 5th of the adverts shyteout 3 had, it still wouldn't shift units. it's not trendy or average enough

Durante

slaughterking said:
Well, we know it wasn't even close at entering the UK Top 40 in it's launch week. And it was even worse in its first full week on sale. ;I
Well, apparently British bad taste extends beyond their food :p

Baha

I think this game will fare better in the UK than in NA simply because it's hard to find here and Canadian retailers don't carry enough copies or keep pushing the release date back or simply are out of stock. Look at amazon.ca for example: Temporarily out of stock.

GPsych

Okay, I beat chapter 7 last night. Yeah, that's a frustrating chapter. When I
finally destroyed the goddamned radiators
I was like "yey! I beat it!" and then when Welkin said,
"Now it's defenses are down and we can destroy it!"
I was like "urge to kill rising!!" :D

This is a really great game, though. I've also been into SRPGs but I honestly would not have purchased it if it wasn't for GAF. For some reason I thought it was related to Valkyrie Profile when I first heard the name mentioned so I didn't realize it was a top-knotch SRPG until I read the Demo impressions here. Everyone should buy this game!

Nonetheless, I actually like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn a bit more than VC so far. Valkyria obviously has the more innovative game play, but the story and characters haven't grabbed me the way Fire Emblem did. Then again, I'm only on chapter 8 so I'm sure there are more revelations to come.

Baha said:
I think this game will fare better in the UK than in NA simply because it's hard to find here and Canadian retailers don't carry enough copies or keep pushing the release date back or simply are out of stock. Look at amazon.ca for example: Temporarily out of stock.

I wouldn't peg much hope on the UK, our tastes are pretty shitty, as a nation, not me personally, I have fantastic taste. In terms the West, mainland Europe is probably the best bet for sales. AFAIK there's a stronger following for anime and anime-inspired aesthetics there.

Volcynika

:lol Just noticed SomethingAwful's one-sentence review for it:

Valkyria Chronicles
Any hate that you might have for anime is easily offset by recruitable characters with bizarre personality traits, such as the antisocial sniper that don't shower and wears fancy underpants. 9/10

Durante

Volcynika said:
Valkyria Chronicles
Any hate that you might have for anime is easily offset by recruitable characters with bizarre personality traits, such as the antisocial sniper that don't shower and wears fancy underpants. 9/10
:lol

I can't remember the exact quote, but Jane's assist line is great, it's something 'You'd better not take them all for yourself'.

And I really like Ted as my 2nd scout (after Alicia of course). The horny little bi-sexpot gets turned on by pretty much anybody. It's not uncommon that both 'Fancies Men' and 'Fancies Women' will activate on the same turn.

Baha

Volcynika said:
:lol Just noticed SomethingAwful's one-sentence review for it:

Valkyria Chronicles

Do you have a link to it? I've only found their official thread for it and it's as big a love-in as this thread is. This game is definitely a cult classic now.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finished. Completed. I am content.

I've been waiting to play this for a year or more since Sega announced it and details of the staff involved trickled out (much love to Shuntaro Tanaka, keep directing games!). I bought a PS3 just to play this game. I'm happy to say that it's one of those games that I'll never have the heart to give away or sell.

I plan on going through it again sometime soon with the English VA and trying different characters to flesh out their biographies. Whilst the story isn't anything as excellent as some of the greater RPGs, I find that the characters bring home that charm in spades.. something similar to what Skies of Arcadia did so effortlessly. Should be interesting to see what A-1 can do with the anime.

Whilst Overworks as a company name is no more, the spirit still lives on in Valkyria. I'm happy to see that Sega are back.

androvsky

Die Squirrel Die said:
I can't remember the exact quote, but Jane's assist line is great, it's something 'You'd better not take them all for yourself'.

And I really like Ted as my 2nd scout (after Alicia of course). The horny little bi-sexpot gets turned on by pretty much anybody. It's not uncommon that both 'Fancies Men' and 'Fancies Women' will activate on the same turn.

I like using him too, but in the early forest mission, his "Show Off" was activating every five steps as enemies disappeared and reappeared behind trees, it got a bit annoying.

I wonder what the chances are Sony will license the anime and put it on the PSN Store soon after it airs in Japan? X'amd had to have been a success for the video store, I just hope they do something like that again.

Baha

androvsky said:
I like using him too, but in the early forest mission, his "Show Off" was activating every five steps as enemies disappeared and reappeared behind trees, it got a bit annoying.

I wonder what the chances are Sony will license the anime and put it on the PSN Store soon after it airs in Japan? X'amd had to have been a success for the video store, I just hope they do something like that again.

That would be a very smart move if they are able to get it on their PSN video store somehow.

rykomatsu

androvsky said:

Well, Aniplex is one of the sponsors for Valkyria so it's quite possible...

(for those that don't know, Aniplex used to be Sony Pictures Entertainment)

then again, Kannagi is also Aniplex, but that's not on PSN..i think? (i can't access the video store via my IP since it's in the US and my JPN proxy doesn't work either...)

Just finished the game earlier today...

I REALLY REALLY want a sequel, but I think I'm gonna go and replay Skies of Arcadia again. I used Vyse and Aika most of all, haha.

Big-E

Just got up to Chapter 5. Have been taking my time in order to get A ranks on every level but so far I think this might be the best rpg of the generation. Storywise it is kind of so so but the gameplay is just so refreshing and smart.

RpgN

Guled said:
how many chapters are there?

18 story chapters and I think 9 skirmish missions. Some story chapters have more than 1 mission.

Grrr...I didn't get new recruits this time and I have 48. 2 left to get
>_<
That is if I get them.

Ps. chapter 10B was really fun. I can't wait to use Zaka, his class is much needed.

RpgN said:
18 story chapters and I think 9 skirmish missions. Some story chapters have more than 1 mission.

>_<
That is if I get them.

Ps. chapter 10B was really fun. I can't wait to use Zaka, his class is much needed.

Some of the reports also have battles. They tend to be smaller affairs that have unusual rules or restrictions. I've unlocked 4 so far, I don't know if there are any more.

Edit: Actually I've unlocked 5 reports with battles in them. So yay, even more.

RpgN

^
Ah yes, I forgot about those. Silly, since Largo's mission is like one of my favourite ones :p
Big-E said:
Just got up to Chapter 5. Have been taking my time in order to get A ranks on every level but so far I think this might be the best rpg of the generation. Storywise it is kind of so so but the gameplay is just so refreshing and smart.

I don't understand why the story is so-so. The story is told and presented nicely, the characters are flashed out to the max. Maybe it not being too original is a criticism, but aren't those features very important too?

Guled

RpgN said:

>_<
That is if I get them.

How long is the game? There seems to be a ton on content
add online via a patch or DLC and we have a contender for GOTY here

Durante

RpgN said:
I don't understand why the story is so-so. The story is told and presented nicely, the characters are flashed out to the max. Maybe it not being too original is a criticism, but aren't those features very important too?
I agree. In fact, for a JRPG, the story is in the upper echelon I'd say. Its treatment of various topics like racism is certainly better than other entries in the genre. Also, how is it not original? I've certainly not played many SRPGs (or RPGs for that matter) set in an alternative universe 1930s Europe.

RpgN

Guled said:

Even without that, it is destined to be a GOTY to many gamer's hearts :D

As for the length, many gamers here are taking their own pace. For instance, I'm at mission 11 and so far managed to pass 18 hours, someone else liked to level up more and is up to 30 hours. I'd say the full game will take you between 30-40 hours max.

Die squirrel die, yeah it's a very handy potential.

Guled said:

There's unlikely to ever be an online mode. There are already 2 DLC mission packs for the Japanese version, which have been confirmed for a western release. From what I gather from earlier in the thread, the first adds 1 new mission, as well as an Ex-Hard more for the skirmishes. The 2nd adds 4 new missions.

RpgN

Durante said:
I agree. In fact, for a JRPG, the story is in the upper echelon I'd say. Its treatment of various topics like racism is certainly better than other entries in the genre. Also, how is it not original? I've certainly not played many SRPGs (or RPGs for that matter) set in an alternative universe 1930s Europe.

Its setting is definitely original and gives a fresh feeling compared to the middle ages setting. But I think people find the story a little clished and the characters very anime like. They're not negative points in my book though :D At least not as important as how the story is told and the amount of character development.

Does everybody have a full page of Personel info? I'm rearranging my squad to put people in who don't have all their potentials yet and was wondering if having all of them was the marker that they had been maxed out, so to speak?

Dave1988

Die Squirrel Die said:
Does everybody have a full page of Personel info? I'm rearranging my squad to put people in who don't have all their potentials yet and was wondering if having all of them was the marker that they had been maxed out, so to speak?

I don't think the recruits can have a full page...From what I've seen every recruit has three parts of his personnel info.

1st part: the basic info provided.
2nd part: kill a few soldiers or rescue a dying ally. After that go to Ellet and it'll unlock the second part and hidden potential of the unit.
3rd part: It's the "after the war" part.

RpgN

FredFish said:
How exactly do you get the Clear bonus? I thought you had to wipe out all enemies but apparently that's not the case.

You mean A scores and such? You finish the mission as fast as possible. The higher the score, more bonus you get. You also get bonus by killing leaders, ace recruits (hiding somewhere) and tanks.

FredFish

RpgN said:
You mean A scores and such? You finish the mission as fast as possible. The higher the score, more bonus you get. You also get bonus by killing leaders, ace recruits (hiding somewhere) and tanks.

Not the mission ranking and not the bonuses for leaders, aces and tanks etc. Just underneath the Base score line (which always has the biggest numbers for xp and cash) there is a line titled Clear. If you "Clear" the mission you double up on the Base xp and cash. I haven't found any explanation on what triggers that "Clear" line. Initially I thought it happened when you wipeout all enemies but I got it on the Ch. 10 Beach mission with some enemy units still alive

RpgN

FredFish said:
Not the mission ranking and not the bonuses for leaders, aces and tanks etc. Just underneath the Base score line (which always has the biggest numbers for xp and cash) there is a line titled Clear. If you "Clear" the mission you double up on the Base xp and cash. I haven't found any explanation on what triggers that "Clear" line. Initially I thought it happened when you wipeout all enemies but I got it on the Ch. 10 Beach mission with some enemy units still alive

I see. Well, I never really noticed or took a good look at the clear sign. I had it appearing at the most missions. I'm not sure, but you might get the clear sign if you find the aces and get their weapons. I think someone mentioned it before?

Big-E

RpgN said:

Dude I am only 5 chapters in. If the story picks up later that would be awesome but so far the story is only so so.

RpgN

Big-E said:
Dude I am only 5 chapters in. If the story picks up later that would be awesome but so far the story is only so so.

Sorry, sorry. It's just that I've read more of those comments and my reply was a general reply to those comments. Sorry if it seemed like I directed this at you. Yes, chapter 5 is still early to judge the full picture. And I find dude sounding weird, isn't there a dudin or something? Lol.

Volcynika

RpgN said:
Sorry, sorry. It's just that I've read more of those comments and my reply was a general reply to those comments. Sorry if it seemed like I directed this at you. Yes, chapter 5 is still early to judge the full picture. And I find dude sounding weird, isn't there a dudin or something? Lol.

Dudette!

Top Bottom