• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

zoku88

rykomatsu said:
Well, Aniplex is one of the sponsors for Valkyria so it's quite possible...

(for those that don't know, Aniplex used to be Sony Pictures Entertainment)

then again, Kannagi is also Aniplex, but that's not on PSN..i think? (i can't access the video store via my IP since it's in the US and my JPN proxy doesn't work either...)
Isn't aniplex still 100% owned by Sony Music Entertainment though?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Whilst Sakimoto did an excellent job with Valkyria, I'm hoping they tap someone else on the shoulders. A Yoko Kanno/Hajime Mizoguchi pairing ala Escaflowne would make me cry tears of joy.

klee123

rykomatsu said:
Well, Aniplex is one of the sponsors for Valkyria so it's quite possible...

(for those that don't know, Aniplex used to be Sony Pictures Entertainment)

then again, Kannagi is also Aniplex, but that's not on PSN..i think? (i can't access the video store via my IP since it's in the US and my JPN proxy doesn't work either...)

I don't think Aniplex is just a mere sponsor, since A1-pictures is a part of Aniplex which is owned outright 100% by Sony Music Japan.

I think there is a chance for Sony to do it, since it can help promote the game even more.

At what rate should i be doing skirmishes after every main story battle so that i am always ahead of the curve?

When do i get Vyse?

Any word on trophies?

Does New game plus alow me to use my upgraded characters and all?

Any secret tips for weapons, characters, upgrades, or tactics i should know about before i miss the opportunity to get or use it?

Are there level caps?

Dyne

Gamer @ Heart said:
At what rate should i be doing skirmishes after every main story battle so that i am always ahead of the curve?

When do i get Vyse?

Any word on trophies?

Any secret tips for weapons, characters, upgrades, or tactics i should know about before i miss the opportunity to get or use it?

Are there level caps?

2. He shows up randomly along with Aika. I got both of them right away.

6. I hear you can't level up past level 20.

Gamer @ Heart said:

Opinions will differ, but between main battles I did skirmishes until I had enough to buy all the available R&D upgrades.

When do i get Vyse?

The pool of recruits is randomly selected at certain points. I'm not sure when exactly, maybe each chapter, maybe every other chapter. If you really want Vyse and Aika as soon as possible, save before going to the HQ and checking the recruit list. If they aren't there reload. AFAIK you should eventually get everybody anyway, except for 5 special recruits, who have special conditions to meet before they show up.

Any word on trophies?

None, it's probably not likely though.

Yes, weapons, upgrades and levels all transfer over.

There are special enemies that you can kill for weapon drops. They all have unique names, rather than the generic 'Shocktrooper' or 'Sniper' or 'Light Tank' etc. They only appear on main mission stages, and once you beat a main stage you cannot replay it until the 'new game +'. I don't know if there's a special unit on every stage.

Are there level caps?

The level cap is 20. At level 11 the class upgrades to 'elites'.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Gamer @ Heart said:

At any rate you feel comfortable with. You could probably complete the entire game using only the experience you get from the story missions. As Strategy-RPGs go, this one skews heavily towards the strategy end of the equation.

Gamer @ Heart said:
When do i get Vyse?

Vyse (and Aika for that matter) are both recruits just like any other, and new recruits show up randomly after every chapter. If he's not there when you first gain the ability to hire recruits, check back after every mission.

Alternately, you can save your game before going to HQ after a chapter ends, and if he's not there reload the save and check again. You'll get a different set of recruits.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Any word on trophies?

No official word that I'm aware of. I wouldn't hold my breath, personally.

Gamer @ Heart said:

That's the word on the street. I haven't beaten the game myself, so I don't know for sure.

Gamer @ Heart said:

Like, in terms of permanently missable things? The only things that you can't get anytime I believe are the weapons you get for killing enemy aces. The aces only show up in particular chapters, and you can only do each story chapter once.

Personally, I hardly use most of the weapons dropped by the aces. Missing some isn't a big deal.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Are there level caps?

Levels go up to 20.

Edit: gah, beaten.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
For the record, I got both Alex and Vyse right at the start. Practically a perfect duo of Shocktroopers.

Thanks guys. Im loving the game alot, but part of me wishes the game looks as good as the stylish CG cut scenes the game uses. It seems so within reach!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fuck this duel.
I barely got all the turrets and two radiators and then they get a "kill everyone they want" turn? Then I have to hopefully have the next people survive so the last radiator can go? How the fuck is this supposed to be possible do I need to level up my Lancers to 12 or something?

I just beat Chapter
. I now have 34 hours clocked in.

Fuck, man.
Isara.
emot-crying.gif
FUCK... Just... FUCK! I've never said
"NO!" to any fictional character's death more than ever.
emot-crying.gif
emot-crying.gif
emot-crying.gif

Meanwhile, my troops are now
Elites
and the Edelweiss
is a monster. You've got to love the
Shamrock
, too. :D

ixix

Dice said:
Fuck this duel.
I barely got all the turrets and two radiators and then they get a "kill everyone they want" turn? Then I have to hopefully have the next people survive so the last radiator can go? How the fuck is this supposed to be possible do I need to level up my Lancers to 12 or something?

Ain't Chapter 7 grand?

Keep everyone away from the northeast corner of the map when you go to blow up the second radiator, since that's where Selvaria and her posse show up. If they can't see anybody they'll just run toward the Batomys, and you can pick everyone except Selvaria off with Snipers without anybody putting themselves in real danger.

Selvaria's shots don't hurt the Edelweiss, so you can then just park it in front of her to keep whoever you send to destroy the last radiator safe from her interception fire.

If you're in the mood to make it hilariously one-sided you can also deploy 3 snipers from your main camp before you destroy the second radiator, then have them run up onto the "stage" part of the ruins, snipe one of Selvaria's soldiers, end their turn, use another CP on them, have them shoot another soldier, then run back down toward the camp. If they're on the far side of the stage when your phase ends then Selvaria won't see them and will run toward the Batomys. You can wipe out all of Selvaria's soldiers before they get a single turn.

ixix

Ha ha, Chapter 15.
I just finished the first battle in one turn while killing two enemy aces. Anybody know if there are any more? I got the tank destroyer and the Shocktrooper hiding in the grass in the northeast. I still had 2 or 3 CP left at the end so if there's just one or two more I could probably take them out too while still one-turning it.

speedpop said:
Whilst Sakimoto did an excellent job with Valkyria, I'm hoping they tap someone else on the shoulders. A Yoko Kanno/Hajime Mizoguchi pairing ala Escaflowne would make me cry tears of joy.
Yeah, that would pretty much be amazing.

Dice

ixix said:
Ain't Chapter 7 grand?
Thanks for the tips, it probably would have taken me a while to figure that out.
Even so, it was so damn tricky figuring out what kind and how many units to have where. I thought I had my Lancers up enough but it took a couple more levels to barely tip the balance to get those turrets down in time. Meanwhile some really bad luck got both engineers insta-killed so that was a trouble all it's own, then it got worse when Vyse was surprisingly taken out and a sniper wasted two shots failing to avenge him (shooting into the 4% of the circle which was not the dude's head). I really had to stick some Lancers necks out to attack and fetch the dead guys.

Something troublesome which ended up being useful was that they captured my lower left base. It seemed they didn't want to run it over unless it was mine but I sent Alicia there and her awesome dodging made them waste a lot of turns. That allowed me to save turns to pull out enough guys to spawn the snipers and get them ready before reoccupying the base and sending her up to drop a grenade the radiator on the next turn. Then my snipers were out in the open but I found if you move fast enough Selvaria doesn't get her attack out before stopping.

Even with all that, I barely had enough turns to kill the enemy team (the snipers were more accurate than usual) and pull my snipers out so she'd run around back. Unfortunately she wiped out Alicia, but then all the CP from the the following action-empty turn allowed me to move the tank to block and sneak an engineer I deployed before to save her and blast the last radiator. Thing is, even with the tons of extra CP as I had (on accident), I could just barely redeploy the 4 lancers and finish off the Batomys. I mean I guess the tension does have a kind of thrill, but it was just too long of a process.

Now I'm about to go into "Reunion"

Aurelius

Still getting to grips with the mechanics, but I'm really enjoying the game. Love the presentation. Just managed to finish Chapter 4 in the final round!
That last tank before the bridge was really holding me up. My guys kept on missing.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:
I don't understand why the story is so-so. The story is told and presented nicely, the characters are flashed out to the max. Maybe it not being too original is a criticism, but aren't those features very important too?

Exactly, people don't understand that originality is a pretty subjective term.

Valkyria Chronicles like Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 1, Lunar, Lunar 2, Tales of the Abyss, and many other games are character driven. The main storyline is weak, but the focus of the game is the strong development of the main cast, the villains, and the secondary cast of characters.

In my humble opinion, I prefer having a strong character driven storyline because a story driven storyline can get stale after the first playthrough. If the cast's strong development and charm is strong enough, it can make the next playthroughs just as compelling because you care about the characters and you feel a certain bond with them.

Been staying away from this thread as I haven't gotten confirmation when my copy was gonna arrive. Now I know I'm gonna get my hands on it on the 28th, and I would just like to say: FUCK YES.

Barrett2

Pop On Arrival said:
Been staying away from this thread as I haven't gotten confirmation when my copy was gonna arrive. Now I know I'm gonna get my hands on it on the 28th, and I would just like to say: FUCK YES.

Prepare for an awesome experience. I have been so busy with school I haven't played much this week, and am still in Ch.4. But so far, no complaints. ^_^

buffi

Banned
Finished the game. Endgame spoilers below.

I'm a bit disappointing at the final boss battle. Managed to beat the final boss in three turns for an A rank on my first try without using saves. Had troupers take care of the nearest towers and a sniper for the towers on the other side. Then I'd just pair up three troupers and let them group shoot at the boss a bunch of times. Wasn't even close to dieing.

kiryogi

Banned
buffi said:
Finished the game. Endgame spoilers below.

I'm a bit disappointing at the final boss battle. Managed to beat the final boss in three turns for an A rank on my first try without using saves. Had troupers take care of the nearest towers and a sniper for the towers on the other side. Then I'd just pair up three troupers and let them group shoot at the boss a bunch of times. Wasn't even close to dieing.

Heh, it could actually be done in two turns too :eek:.

Hcoregamer: Eh, Abyss' main storyline wasn't weak at all. One of the more solid Tales plots around. It had great character and main story development. Though, in general Tales are very character driven. Even that doesn't save some of the games though. Tales of Rebirth, urgh. But I figured as much many folks wouldn't like the story to Valkyria. It's one of it's weakest points.

Picked up my pre-ordered copy Valkyria Chronicles on Friday, finally. I imagine the delay was due to the addition of the dual language cover art and manual. Blarg. I popped the game in late last night and ended up playing until four in the morning.

So far the final game is everything the demo hinted that it would be.

Farnack

Banned
kiryogi said:
Heh, it could actually be done in two turns too :eek:.
I did it in one turns. ^_^

Buffi: It's not disappointing really. You just figured out the strategy.

Edit: People remember this old awesome music? ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTgQ-MaB8V0&fmt=18

I'm not sure if it is him, Masaharu Iwata, or Hayato Matsuo who did this one, but you can sure tell that this theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqyBBIstLYM&fmt=18 and that Ogre Battle theme work so well and sound good playing endlessly.

I wish they orchestrated that Ogre Battle theme. It's my favourite music from the SNES console.

Started yesterday and I'm already at Chapter 7 which looks to be a total ass beating for my guys. Game's real good, though I was surprised to find how there's barely any RPG components in the game aside from the character traits. It errs way more towards games like Silent Storm and X-Com. Rather progressive title in that respect, culling ideas from Western strategy games.

Fuck a duck, DO NOT GO TO THE WIKIPEDIA PAGE FOR THE GAME. Spoilers afoot. :(

Dyne

Red Blaster said:
Fuck a duck, DO NOT GO TO THE WIKIPEDIA PAGE FOR THE GAME. Spoilers afoot. :(

God I hate that. I love looking up a game or movie or show or book but then I'm immediately graced with spoilers from every side. :( Goddamn Wikipedia.

TuxBobble

To those of you who have beaten the game: how long did it take you? Just curious since I've barely started it and don't know what kind of commitment I'll be making haha.

So far I am enjoying it though, so I'm happy with that.

buffi

Banned
TuxBobble said:
To those of you who have beaten the game: how long did it take you? Just curious since I've barely started it and don't know what kind of commitment I'll be making haha.

25.5h for me
I did all of the skirmish missions and side quests so it should be possible to clear the game in under 15-20h easily if you rush through it (don't do that).

Some people seem to take upwards of 40h though, and I have no idea what the hell they are doing :)

Farnack

Banned
TuxBobble said:

30 hours for me.

I had super grinded though. Everyone but engineers were level 20. Engy was at 16.

I think leveling had really helped me get along with the story. It would have taken longer for the story mode if I didn't. Also, I probably spent like 35 hours since I reloaded a lot. 8P

"Bang, bang baby!" Aikia's my favorite scout simply because she says that every time she offs an Imp.

I've made it up to the fifth chapter and am absolutely loving Valkyria Chronicles. I just love the gameplay, how it's action oriented but remains a strategic experience. I love how you where you place your units, the direction they're facing, who they're grouped with matters. I love how a battle can end on an enemy phase because of how well you placed your units. An enemy unit breaks cover and gets absolutely destroyed. I like how you level up a class and not an individual, that you equip the whole and not just any one member. Instead of growing to rely on the few characters you use you're free to experiement with newer additions without being punished. I love the episodic, history book presentation that allows you to save when ever you want. You don't have to watch cutscene after cutscene if you don't want to. You can save anytime you want. The game feels well-paced, everything is just moving along at a decent clip. The battles and cutscenes don't just drag on and on.

The weird anime-isms--the cast is just so positive, earnest and upbeat, which is kind of an odd juxtaposition with the settings and theme of the game--are starting to become really endearing. I haven't liked a group of characters this much since Dragon Quest VIII or Persona 3.

matmanx1

jaundicejuice said:
"Bang, bang baby!" Aikia's my favorite scout simply because she says that every time she offs an Imp.

I've made it up to the fifth chapter and am absolutely loving Valkyria Chronicles. I just love the gameplay, how it's action oriented but remains a strategic experience. I love how you where you place your units, the direction they're facing, who they're grouped with matters. I love how a battle can end on an enemy phase because of how well you placed your units. An enemy unit breaks cover and gets absolutely destroyed. I like how you level up a class and not an individual, that you equip the whole and not just any one member. Instead of growing to rely on the few characters you use you're free to experiement with newer additions without being punished. I love the episodic, history book presentation that allows you to save when ever you want. You don't have to watch cutscene after cutscene if you don't want to. You can save anytime you want. The game feels well-paced, everything is just moving along at a decent clip. The battles and cutscenes don't just drag on and on.

The weird anime-isms--the cast is just so positive, earnest and upbeat, which is kind of odd juxtaposition with the settings and theme of the game--are starting to become really endearing. I haven't liked a group of characters this much since Dragon Quest VIII or Persona 3.

Excellent post and I agree with everything you said. Especially the part about the cast. The guys are awesome and the girls are strong and sexy. It's a very endearing group!

Be sure to set aside plenty of time before tackling Chapter 7. Took me almost 2 hours to finish the hellish battle of attrition. Lost some good troops in the process, RIP Claudia and Yoko.

Facism

Polished off Chapter 16 earlier.

Shame we won't get trophies. That would have gotten at least 1 more sale (Seiken hehe).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kittonwy said:
I gotz my copy finally. ~_~

Sweet, so after wards will you take the cause of posting this in every PS3 recommendation thread?

"Buy Valkyria Chronicles!!!!"

Or should I do it? :lol

Defuser

I must say the the ORDERS are definitely useful and imba. You might not need them for the earlier chapters but you will be using almost every single turn you get for the later chapters or hard skirmishes if you want to survive or capture a base fast.

Farnack

Banned
Defuser said:
I must say the the ORDERS are definitely useful and imba. You might not need them for the earlier chapters but you will be using almost every single turn you get for the laters if you want to survive or capture a base fast.
8D I can do most maps in one turn because of orders.

Dice

Beat the first battle in 10.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

So far Jane might be my favorite. She is totally nuts, man. I knew it for sure when I saw her Sadist potential come out, but you kinda want a Shocktrooper to be a freak like that.

"DIE! DIE! DIE!" :lol

Top Bottom