• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

noonche

Finished the game today. I thought it was fantastic. About my complaint is that cutscenes need to be skippable; especially after you've seen them once. I loved everything about this game: the story, graphics, music, gameplay, etc.

Defuser

zoku88 said:
I have yet to use a single one >.> (order)

Maybe i should start >.>
I'll give you a list of useful orders:
Defense boost
Evade boost
Caution
Penetration
Awaken
Demolition

Try to use 2 or 3 orders on 1 character and you will see awesome results.

zoku88

Farnack said:
Defence, Evasion, Awakened Potential on Alicia. 8D
Oh god. What percentage of a boost is it?

Spoilers for like, ch 15 or 14, i forget.
That would bring out her valkyria thing, wouldn't it? What does that potential do. I activated it once, before I knew that I had it. I was hoping she would become invincible. I think she died right afterwards. Stupid turrets.

Farnack

Banned
zoku88 said:

That would bring out her valkyria thing, wouldn't it? What does that potential do. I activated it once, before I knew that I had it. I was hoping she would become invincible. I think she died right afterwards. Stupid turrets.
Lol, tanks do like 1 damage when her resist crossfire potential goes off. 8D

The Valkyria potential is actually quite dangerous. I think it boosts your stats, but it overwrites some other boosts. I think it actually kills the resist crossfire potential cuz that happened to me as well.

Just to say how awesome are the orders, I was able to beat Selvaria in one turn with a super pumped Alicia. Double movement potential goes off and let's me go really far even though I only had a sliver of movement left. ^_^

Awakened potential is too strong.

Defuser

zoku88 said:

Her potential activates once her hp is below half granting more boost in her stats,combine that with orders(evasion,defence,caution and penetration),she is almost invincible.

Farnack

Banned
Defuser said:
Her potential activates once her hp is below half granting more boost in her stats,combine that with orders(evasion,defence,caution and penetration),she is almost invincible.
I think you can only have one "SP" order on. Caution is an SP order which is overwritten with Awakened Potential.

Defuser

Farnack said:
I think you can only have one "SP" order on. Caution is an SP order which is overwritten with Awakened Potential.
Hmm,no wonder I couldn't kill a tank although my penetration order was on.

Besides alicia, Ted is another good scout in using those orders. Show off and ultimate
evasion potential is awesome.

RobertM

The characters are hot in this game, Captain yum. I'll stop with the creepiness for a second.
It kind of feels like I'm not fully utilizing my units or not using them properly. Still trying to figure out what units to use in what situation, and it sucks that snipers don't have a lot of AP.

Defuser

RobertM said:
The characters are hot in this game, Captain yum. I'll stop with the creepiness for a second.
It kind of feels like I'm not fully utilizing my units or not using them properly. Still trying to figure out what units to use in what situation, and it sucks that snipers don't have a lot of AP.
1 or 2 missions require a certain class to be use. But most missions can be done with Scouts alone if you know what you're doing.

And sure snipers got low AP but their range and accuracy makes up if you managed to upgrade them to elite class and their weapons..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jaundicejuice said:
The weird anime-isms--the cast is just so positive, earnest and upbeat, which is kind of an odd juxtaposition with the settings and theme of the game--are starting to become really endearing.
This is what made Skies of Arcadia stand out at the time - every other RPG plot at the time was filled with emo angst crap, whereas the SoA cast stayed positive and upbeat.

RobertM said:

Unless there's a good sniper point close to the starting position, I've stopped putting a sniper in at the beginning, but leaving an empty space, then calling them from a base further up the battlefield.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Farnack said:

You can have more than one. Pretty easy to test, too.
Just take some character without any damage-reducing Potentials into a skirmish, then have them rush at some enemy. Watch how much damage they take. End their turn, then use Caution then Awaken Potential on them. Use another CP on them and let the enemy shoot them some more. They'll be taking drastically less damage, which wouldn't be happening if Awaken Potential was overriding Caution.

The inverse also works, of course. Use Awaken Potential first, then Caution. You'll be able to tell by the crazy skill activation rate that Awaken Potential is still in effect.

Farnack

Banned
RobertM said:
Captain yum
Who?

I agree the most chars are hot. Edy. 8P
ixix said:
You can have more than one. Pretty easy to test, too.
Just take some character without any damage-reducing Potentials into a skirmish, then have them rush at some enemy. Watch how much damage they take. End their turn, then use Caution then Awaken Potential on them. Use another CP on them and let the enemy shoot them some more. They'll be taking drastically less damage, which wouldn't be happening if Awaken Potential was overriding Caution.

The inverse also works, of course. Use Awaken Potential first, then Caution. You'll be able to tell by the crazy skill activation rate that Awaken Potential is still in effect.
I dunno, tanks and everything still only did one damage each hit for either.

zoku88

I'm surprised they put in any amount of breast jiggle in this game :lol :lol

Ch 13 or 14 spoilers

Like when the prince tells Selvaria to die, pretty much. When she falls to her knees...Unless I'm mistaken

Farnack said:
Who?

I agree the most chars are hot. Edy. 8P
Edy is so cute. "Ryoukai desu wa"

ixix

Farnack said:
I dunno, tanks and everything still only did one damage each hit for either.

I think some Potentials might override Orders, but I don't know for sure. That's why it's important to use someone with no damage reduction Potentials that could possibly interfere with the Order.

I just tried it on skirmish 7 with Noce. They definitely stack.

And of course you can try the inverse test with anybody and it definitely still works.

zoku88 said:

Ch 13 or 14 spoilers

Like when the prince tells Selvaria to die, pretty much. When she falls to her knees...Unless I'm mistaken

That did kind of kill the mood a bit, didn't it?

Defuser

zoku88 said:
I was like

Omg, did he just order her to--- wait, was that breast jiggle?

Totally distracting...

I'm also not complaining
Give yourself a good wank before you watch that cutscene so you wouldn't focus on the boobs.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zoku88 said:

Ch 13 or 14 spoilers

Freaking perverts, paying attention to that in a dramatic scene over anything else.

ixix said:
That did kind of kill the mood a bit, didn't it?

Not really, personally I felt that the scene had enough of an impact that it wasn't distracting.

Granted I would have preferred
that Selvaria betray Maximillan and join the good guys once his true nature appears and he shows little regard to Selvaria
but that would have been totally out of character.

:(

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Freaking perverts, paying attention to that in a dramatic scene over anything else.
:lol :lol It wasn't for perversion :p

I just found it, odd, cuz I swear its the ONLY time they did it, right? I'm just wondering why they only did it for that one scene :lol :lol

Resisting urge to quote tag

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
:lol :lol It wasn't for perversion :p

I just found it, odd, cuz I swear its the ONLY time they did it, right? I'm just wondering why they only did it for that one scene :lol :lol

They do it a number of times, I would point the scenes out, but I would be more liable to get my tag quoted for kicks.

So I will refrain from pointing it out.

Farnack

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
They do it a number of times, I would point the scenes out, but I would be more liable to get my tag quoted for kicks.

Hentaicoregamer00 knows all the hscenes. 8D

Hcoregamer00 said:
Granted I would have preferred
that Selvaria betray Maximillan and join the good guys once his true nature appears and he shows little regard to Selvaria
but that would have been totally out of character.

:(

I really liked
how Selvaria's plot resolved, but then maybe I like a bit of resigned fatalism. I got the sense that she respected Alicia for wanting to retain her humanity and not just be a weapon, but knew that it was too late for her, which is why she requested that Squad 7 guard her men, and waited for them to be clear before detonating herself. Plus she killed Damon, which is a huge plus. Sometimes a dramatic exit resonates more than a happily ever after.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:

Oh, do they? Was it with Alicia?

TheExodu5

Banned
alske said:
Finished the game today. I thought it was fantastic. About my complaint is that cutscenes need to be skippable; especially after you've seen them once. I loved everything about this game: the story, graphics, music, gameplay, etc.

Pressing Start skips cutscenes for me.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Why?

It is because Selvaria is not looking evil and menacing like how she is normally in the game?
I don't know.

Maybe it's because it's kinda hard to see the outlining in your picture because of smallness (and cuz im blind.)

I cant think of any other big breasted females in this game. Cpt Varrot?

I dont care if its a spoiler or not (im in the chapter after the "reunion"), will i ever have a valykrie in my party during this game? Even if only for one battle? please?

Also, i just discovered what buying those interviews did after ignoring those blue tabs for hours. How many are there and how many include missions?

Farnack

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
I dont care if its a spoiler or not (im in the chapter after the "reunion"), will i ever have a valykrie in my party during this game? Even if only for one battle? please?

Also, i just discovered what buying those interviews did after ignoring those blue tabs for hours. How many are there and how many include missions?
Alicia just spouts out weird potential powers. One heals her automatically and one supposingly raises her stats. You won't get a chapter 7 Selvaria to play with.

I think there are 5 missions in those extra missions.

Farnack

Banned
zoku88 said:
I'm more into DFC >.>
kumawalk.gif

Im glad we can talk about female videogame characters so freely in this thread.

Because of the casual attitude here i have no problem asking where the lesbian characters i remember someone posting about here not to long ago are in the game?

Also, without giving to much away, does a love story fully develop between Alicia and Wilkes or is it just teased through out?

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
I'm more into DFC >.>

Whoa whoa whoa, that is way too much information.

It also probably explains why you don't like my avatar character so much.

zoku88 said:
I don't know.

Maybe it's because it's kinda hard to see the outlining in your picture because of smallness (and cuz im blind.)

I cant think of any other big breasted females in this game. Cpt Varrot?

I am not telling

:p

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Whoa whoa whoa, that is way too much information.

It also probably explains why you don't like my avatar character so much.
We've actually had this conversation before. :p

I believe you may have asked me what that meant, too. Nothing wrong with flat chests >.>

And I like Selvaria just fine ^^

Not telling

:p
But zoku is curious T_T

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
But zoku is curious T_T

Hint: Watch Ellet's report and the opening cinema
before you battle Selvaria

I am sure there are probably other ones, but I don't try to pay attention to it.

Volcynika said:
I hate to ask this, but what does DFC mean.

Gogo thread derail!

Hint (thread derail powers activate)

5291.jpg

Farnack

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Im glad we can talk about female videogame characters so freely in this thread.

Because of the casual attitude here i have no problem asking where the lesbian characters i remember someone posting about here not to long ago are in the game?

Also, without giving to much away, does a love story fully develop between Alicia and Wilkes or is it just teased through out?
There's that Alicia lover engineer that starts with a D... I forgot her name... she likes only girls and hates men.

You won't be disappointed with the story. Just get there. 8D

Ahem

Btw guys, I started a new game and I lost the sniper Catherine... wtf? Is this suppose to happen?

zoku88

Volcynika said:
I hate to ask this, but what does DFC mean.

Gogo thread derail!
Delicious flat chest :lol :lol

Farnack said:
There's that Alicia lover engineer that starts with a D... I forgot her name... she likes only girls and hates men.

You won't be disappointed with the story. Just get there. 8D
Dallas is always in my almost-all-girls party.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hint: Watch Ellet's report and the opening cinema
before you battle Selvaria

I am sure there are probably other ones, but I don't try to pay attention to it.
Ok. It seems that even though you don't try, you saw more than me (not like I was trying either.)

Now we can finally get back onto topic ;P

ixix

How could anyone possibly resist buying this game when said purchase grants them the esteemed company of the denizens of this thread?

zoku88

ixix said:
How could anyone possibly resist buying this game when said purchase grants them the esteemed company of the denizens of this thread?
I'm really not weird... I'm normal T_T

Please believe me T_T

But seriously, this whole time, from the week i was struggling wether or not to purchase this game up until i beat the desert dual battle today, i thought i would eventually get the "chick on the cover" on my team. Im actually really dissapointed im not. i want a Valkyrie dammit!

btkadams

hmm... this one completely slipped my radar. i might die of hunger if i buy another game right now though, so i will have to wait. but GAF seems to be enjoying it, no? love rpgs but havent played a good one in a year or two.

Top Bottom