• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

RobertM

Farnack said:
Who?

I agree the most chars are hot. Edy. 8P

I dunno, tanks and everything still only did one damage each hit for either.
2ufc3ro.jpg

I like the whole teacher look.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Gamer @ Heart said:
But seriously, this whole time, from the week i was struggling wether or not to purchase this game up until i beat the desert dual battle today, i thought i would eventually get the "chick on the cover" on my team. Im actually really dissapointed im not. i want a Valkyrie dammit!

I was hoping the same thing, until I realized it would be pretty damn out of character to have a villain join "the good guys," especially if they do horrible things like what Selvaria did.

If Selvaria was a Valkyria who objected to using her powers to kill people, then it would be feasible for her to change sides, but with her personality and character in the game it would have been impossible.

RobertM said:
2ufc3ro.jpg

I like the whole teacher look.

Elanor definitely looks like a teacher, it really didn't occur to me about her look.

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
I knew she would be on the enemy side from the start :p

That was a given just looking at her design.

I was merely pointing out the possibility of her becoming and ally over an enemy, which is slim considering how they developed her. They developed Selvaria with
a complex over Maximillian and transforms her into essentially a loyal dog who has absolute loyalty to her master.
If they developed her differently, for example
if they made her detest violence due to her being locked up in a test lab. Or developing her in other ways, like by making Alicia her little sister or daughter (I was hoping for a familial tie with Selvaria and Alicia in a shape or form, as you can imagine I was VERY DISAPPOINTED)
then it would be feasible to make her into a bad guy who joins the party to atone for past sins.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
That was a given just looking at her design.

I was merely pointing out the possibility of her becoming and ally over an enemy, which is slim considering how they developed her. They developed Selvaria with
a complex over Maximillian and transforms her into essentially a loyal dog who has absolute loyalty to her master.
If they developed her differently, for example
if they made her detest violence due to her being locked up in a test lab. Or developing her in other ways, like by making Alicia her little sister or daughter (I was hoping for a familial tie with Selvaria and Alicia in a shape or form, as you can imagine I was VERY DISAPPOINTED)
then it would be feasible to make her into a bad guy who joins the party to atone for past sins.
Oh yea, we had this discussion before in the other VC thread.

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
Oh yea, we had this discussion before in the other VC thread.

Just because we discussed it in the Import thread doesn't make it any less relevant in the Official Thread for the Western Release.

Farnack

Banned
Hmm, there's a medal that tells me that one of my guys has to die... is that really the only option? >_>

And I still can't figure out where Catherine went.
The profile says she's living as a hermit.

Defuser said:
Just let of your men with useless potential die. Mainly Herbert.
Or Cezary. (I think that's his name?) The sniper dude that became a sniper, simply so that he wouldn't end up biting it.

Combined with his hate for Darcsens, he just deserves to have his head blown off.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Just because we discussed it in the Import thread doesn't make it any less relevant in the Official Thread for the Western Release.
Wasn't saying it was irrelevant, just noting that I remembered it ^^

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, there are some characters in my party I would like to kill off, just because they annoy me.

I should go to a skirmish and intentionally get some of them killed.
You guys are so mean T_T

There are only about 12 ppl in my squad that actually exist to me. The rest are just filler

Hcoregamer00

U K Narayan said:
Or Cezary. (I think that's his name?) The sniper dude that became a sniper, simply so that he wouldn't end up biting it.

Combined with his hate for Darcsens, he just deserves to have his head blown off.

Yeah, there are some characters in my party I would like to kill off, just because they annoy me.

zoku88 said:
Wasn't saying it was irrelevant, just noting that I remembered it ^^

Well, thank you for remembering my post in the Import thread where asked about a
familial relationship between the two valkyria leads on the USA cover

I post so much that I sometimes forget what I posted so long ago.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I like how, when you put him on stand-by, he responds by saying that he doubts you'll see him again.

Well -- damn right, you son-of-a-bitch! But the next time I'm putting you in battle, YOUR SHIT IS GON' GET MESSED.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, thank you for remembering my post in the Import thread where asked about a
familial relationship between the two valkyria leads on the USA cover

I post so much that I sometimes forget what I posted so long ago.
Oh, well I didn't remember the specifics, I just remember you talking about stuff like that, since I remember responding and saying

I hoped she would become crippled after the war
or something like that :lol :lol And I partially remember your response to that, too.

Yea, I remember weird random stuff. If only I could apply that to classes @_@

Defuser

U K Narayan said:

Sorry,his good potentials outweighs his bad potentials greatly. There's plenty of soldiers in Squad 7 whose whole stats is bad potentials.
Maybe I should get rid of that girly looking lancer guy despite of his good potentials. :lol

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
Oh, well I didn't remember the specifics, I just remember you talking about stuff like that, since I remember responding and saying

I hoped she would become crippled after the war
or something like that :lol :lol And I partially remember your response to that, too.

Yea, I remember weird random stuff. If only I could apply that to classes @_@

I would have preferred either my option or yours rather than what Sega did.

I mean she was a freaking waste of what could have been an amazing character.

Defuser

Hcoregamer00 said:
I mean she was a freaking waste of what could have been an amazing character.
Sega can easily manipulate the story if they want to for the sequel if there's ever one.

She could have survive but lost all her Valkyria powers or she can pull a Code Geass's Guilford. :lol

zoku88

^ Never watched Code Geass significantly long enough, but I think it's a Sunrise show, right? So that means, very few ppl who 'die' actually are dead for realz :p

tehbear

Juggling so many games have left me seriously behind on Valkyria. Just started basically but already my OCD is kicking in X-Com style trying to formulate my perfect squad. All the characters are so enticing that I want all of them in my squad, but I only have 20 openings... argh >_<

Also already I had some loltastic A rank to failure moments and it's only chapter 3

I was on turn 3 breezing through the level so when it comes time for me to aim at the enemy tank's radiator I just quickly aimed towards it and hit X. Unfortunately I moved it an inch too far, aimed it towards my own gate, and destroyed it...

Defuser

zoku88 said:
^ Never watched Code Geass significantly long enough, but I think it's a Sunrise show, right? So that means, very few ppl who 'die' actually are dead for realz :p
I just watch for the lulz and didn't bother watching the final episode of R2. If you want to know....
Guilford got caught in a 'Nuclear' Explosion with his mecha in the air and still fucking survives. That guy must be god if he can survives a nuclear and mecha explosion + long height freefall.

Goodness,how I hate at Sunrise's crazy deus ex for their mecha.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you're gonna sacrifice someone, at least let someone die whose death is a prerequisite for another recruit appearing in your pool. After you unlock his potential and personnel info, let Oscar eat it.

Speaking of prereqs, I'm still only in chapter 8, but is there an easier way to pick up lots of cash outside of grinding for it? I dunno if I'll ever hit 1 million to get that one recruit to appear.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
XiaNaphryz said:
Speaking of prereqs, I'm still only in chapter 8, but is there an easier way to pick up lots of cash outside of grinding for it? I dunno if I'll ever hit 1 million to get that one recruit to appear.

If you do the skirmishes and bonus episodes as they become available you'll end up with enough scratch eventually without even trying. I never did any real grinding and ended up with enough roundabouts Chapter 13.

Game starts doling out the bills with a fierceness as the mission numbers get up there. Don't sweat it.

Defuser

XiaNaphryz said:
Nope,Just keep on grinding skirmishes and scoring A. You can get to 1 million very easily. I save money by not buying tread parts for Edelweiss because enemies rarely hit the treads.

I just sunk my teeth into this today and I have to note that the localization is TOP shelf. Great job SEGA.

Those of you playing in Japanese need to give it a whirl in English when you are finished.

Just been playing more of this over the weekend. Put it down to play some R2 and LBP. So many great games on the go, not enough time. Must say things get a way bit easier after
that tank boss mission.
And I have been enjoying it more for it. Progressing really well now.

Getting lots of money though but Ellet did manage to scam me out of 50k for a story :O

BTW is Japanese VO of Zaka the same as does Zoro in One Piece? Because they do sound the same or at least very similar.

klee123

Katana_Strikes said:
BTW is Japanese VO of Zaka the same as does Zoro in One Piece? Because they do sound the same or at least very similar.

Yeep, Kazuya Nakai. Awesome Seiyuu, I loved his work on Samurai Champloo and Gintama.

I just started this last night, but I need some help. I am on the second mission, and I have no idea where to go to complete the second part. The tank keeps killing me. Advice?

Hcoregamer00

Defuser said:
Sega can easily manipulate the story if they want to for the sequel if there's ever one.

She could have survive but lost all her Valkyria powers or she can pull a Code Geass's Guilford. :lol

That would take the fun out of it.

I mean
She used the final valkyria power to blow herself up, how the bloody hell can she survive that? Unless she is some invincible goddess who can destroy herself at will it is impossible. Not only that, if she had such a power, she should have done so in the beginning so that she could slaughter all the gallians.

PuMa

Thanks to this thread, I downloaded the VC demo, played it, loved it, and am now going to purchase it. Thanks GAF!

Llyranor

Well, shipped on Friday. Hopefully I'll have it by today.

As a SRPG fan, the demo didn't completely blow me away, though the gameplay mechanics held promise. Is the level design and challenge in the full game substantially better?

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
well too bad I'm shallow, ain't no place for old geezer on my team!:lol

Nooo.....

Coby is awesome, don't kill him

:(

Llyranor said:

As a SRPG fan, the demo didn't completely blow me away, though the gameplay mechanics held promise. Is the level design and challenge in the full game substantially better?

Yes, Durante said it best when he mentioned that each mission is very different from each other and is a unique experience.

The difficulty curve is also great, the game can be quite a challenge later on.

TheExodu5

Banned
Llyranor said:

Much, much better. The game is quite challenging early on, and levels offer a wide array of strategies most of the time.

RobertM

What constitutes to the overall grade? Number of friendlies injured in battle? Number of Turns? Enemies killed? What else? I'm getting a lot Ds
Ds motherfucker, Ds *Kanye*

zoku88

RobertM said:
What constitutes to the overall grade? Number of friendlies injured in battle? Number of Turns? Enemies killed? What else? I'm getting a lot Ds
Ds mother, Ds *Kanye*
I think it's turns only.

I actually wish it were a combination of other things...but i guess it makes sense since this game is mostly 'capture the flag'

Picked it up last friday. Played a little bit this weekend. Got to chapter 8.
Solid game.

I kinda wish i had more leeway in equipping characters and leveling them up. The streamlined approach makes it quick and painless, but i would have digged being able to get in there and customize everything.
But i'm nitpicking here.

Other minor annoyance: my snipers seem to suck a whole lot more than the enemies'. Maybe i'm doing it wrong.

Other than that, the game's stylish, reasonably deep (strategy-wise) and refreshing. And in spite of what's been said earlier in this thread, i also think the game would work extremely well as a multiplayer game. One on one, 4 player free for all, etc.

Giving your snipers better rifles and leveling them up really helps. Now my snipers Marina and Catherine can pick off people up to 1200 yards.... man.. Marina is such an awesome sniper... lone wolf, hates people... kills from a distance.. perfect :D

Durante

Fistwell said:
my snipers seem to suck a whole lot more than the enemies'. Maybe i'm doing it wrong.
Don't worry, it's a simple matter of level and equipment. I almost feel bad when sniping now, it's almost unfair :lol
24yxqox.jpg

Top Bottom