• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

About the Snipers. Yours get better as you progress. You need to equip them with good shit, though. A B-grade stat for aiming in weapons make them practically unstoppable. I haven't gotten anything higher than B-Grade, so, I can't comment on anything higher.

Marina is my favorite Sniper. She hates everyone. She has aspergers. Hilarious.

Scratch that, Catherine is my real favorite.

Durante

U K Narayan said:
About the Snipers. Yours get better as you progress. You need to equip them with good shit, though. A B-grade stat for aiming in weapons make them practically unstoppable. I haven't gotten anything higher than B-Grade, so, I can't comment on anything higher.
The one in my screenshot is A grade :D

U K Narayan said:
Marina is my favorite Sniper. She hates everyone. She has aspergers. Hilarious.

Scratch that, Catherine is my favorite.
I love them both. One for shooting at high places and one for shooting from high places!

I like the Bielert brothers. I wonder if they are meant to be twins? They are both 15, but it says Oscar is the oldest, plus their face models are very similar.

Robobandit said:
Giving your snipers better rifles and leveling them up really helps. Now my snipers Marina and Catherine can pick off people up to 1200 yards.... man.. Marina is such an awesome sniper... lone wolf, hates people... kills from a distance.. perfect :D
Yeah, i've been buying the best weapons they've let me buy (although only up to the 4rth upgrade for sniper rifles right now), and i've been leveling up my snipers a little more than the other guys (i think they're level 8). Yet they still suck balls. I'll get lucky now and then, but most times it goes wide.
Marina and cath are sort of sucky but not horrible. That dude though, whatever his name is...
aw gawd...

Most times, it's infinitely easier to just sneak a scout up to the guy and shoot him in the face from 5 feet.

Edit: thanks for the heads up guys. I'll be looking forward to better equipment.

Oh, on that note, i've picked up a few weapons from dead guys (i assume). Most of them were essentially worthless (like a "sniping" rifle that's kinda powerfull, but D accuracy). Do you ever get useable/good stuff?
Whatabout named enemies, do they drop better stuff?
Thanks.

Alidar

Neo Member
When you get to the branching equipment, I have to suggest the accuracy boost gun for snipers. Going from C to B is huge, and the slight upgrade in power of the other model is pretty pointless since headshots are usually one-hit kills. Ditto for the added effect gun.

Most guns I've found off of enemies so far are either a lot stronger but have horrible range and/or aim. I did get a machine gun for Rosie that was better than what she had in every way, but I got it from
the princess
, and I just got access to said person so I'm not sure if that person gives me the weapons that dropped or if it's new researched weapons or what. I'm thinking the latter.

buffi

Banned
Do the "added effect" weapons serve any decent purpose in the game?
I've always found more damage/aim to be a whole lot better.

zoku88

I gave a machine gun I got from an enemy to Edy. It made since to me since she had the melee skills potential and the gun is very short range.

Level where you meet princess
I got Edy to take out the jeep by herself.

buffi said:
Do the "added effect" weapons serve any decent purpose in the game?
I've always found more damage/aim to be a whole lot better.
I gave Vyse an attack-down weapon. When they say attack down, it's REALLY REALLY down. As in, each shot from a submachinegun takes like 1 dmg. Attack down is very crippling.

Baha

Alidar said:
When you get to the branching equipment, I have to suggest the accuracy boost gun for snipers. Going from C to B is huge, and the slight upgrade in power of the other model is pretty pointless since headshots are usually one-hit kills. Ditto for the added effect gun.

Most guns I've found off of enemies so far are either a lot stronger but have horrible range and/or aim. I did get a machine gun for Rosie that was better than what she had in every way, but I got it from
the princess
, and I just got access to said person so I'm not sure if that person gives me the weapons that dropped or if it's new researched weapons or what. I'm thinking the latter.

The princess is your source for better weapons outside of r&d and enemy weapons (mostly rifles and sub machine guns although you do research better guns later on) although from what I've read the 3rd dlc has the mother of all sub machine guns (see chapter 15b) available to unlock but we won't see that till next year.

RobertM

zoku88 said:
I gave a machine gun I got from an enemy to Edy. It made since to me since she had the melee skills potential and the gun is very short range.

Level where you meet princess
I got Edy to take out the jeep by herself.

I gave Vyse an attack-down weapon. When they say attack down, it's REALLY REALLY down. As in, each shot from a submachinegun takes like 1 dmg. Attack down is very crippling.
Wait, how do you give people equipment?

buffi

Banned
zoku88 said:

I still find it better to just let my troopers kill the enemies instead of crippling them.

Dyne

Just beat chapter 7 first try. I loved it! Very exciting.

Also, holy crap. I thought there were only 3 weapon upgrades for each thing and I accidentally pressed down on the rifle page and HOLY CRAP! There's a million upgrades to do! My faith-o-meter for this game just went straight through the roof.

Also Selvaria's a babe. Damn. :3

maskrider

Finished my 2nd round already and now on to all Decorations and A all Hard Skirmish.

And I have finally received the dispatch e-mail for my UK version, ha ha !

Durante

Dyne said:
Also, holy crap. I thought there were only 3 weapon upgrades for each thing and I accidentally pressed down on the rifle page and HOLY CRAP! There's a million upgrades to do! My faith-o-meter for this game just went straight through the roof.
The same thing happened to someone else earlier in the thread, it also happened to me. I don't know if it's bad interface design (since you should be made aware that it can scroll) or an intentional genius WOW moment feature :lol

Egg Shen

tehbear said:
I was on turn 3 breezing through the level so when it comes time for me to aim at the enemy tank's radiator I just quickly aimed towards it and hit X. Unfortunately I moved it an inch too far, aimed it towards my own gate, and destroyed it...
I had the same experience, except it was a clear miss that rolled for me. I had the cannon square at the enemy tank and wept when it pulled a Greedo with the shot
blowing up the gate and failing the mission.

Shadow780 said:
I just let that old geezer die, can't have ugly ppl in my master's list...
No way, Coby?! Coby put down
Ty the Immortal, the uber dodging bastard
with his undodgeable shot in the clutch
during the mission you fight for Vasel(sp?) bridge near the end.
I'll admit, he's not much to look at, but he rocks! Great compliment to Vyse.

"Hehe, our hero's in trouble now!"

Dyne

Hahah, well they could have at least put an arrow! Even a 3-pixel-wide one. Here I was worried I was maxing out my weapons too early but I'm not even close!

So I guess, unintentional WOW moment. :D

Aeon712

Finally decided to open my copy up since I have no one to play R2 Competitive with(Fortus stop playing Valkyria :lol). Played the 1st three battles and loving it. Kinda wish the story book pictures wouldn't let me know what was gonna happen before I started the segment.

Dyne

Aeon712 said:
Finally decided to open my copy up since I have no one to play R2 Competitive with(Fortus stop playing Valkyria :lol). Played the 1st three battles and loving it. Kinda wish the story book pictures wouldn't let me know what was gonna happen before I started the segment.

Wait, aren't they all-white until you view each scene, and then colour up when you go back to storybook mode?

Dyne

Red Blaster said:
If you look hard you can make out what's in each picture.

Weird. I'm on RGB Full on a calibrated Sharp Aquos and I can barely see lines in the white space. I guess I have my contrast too high?

Aeon712

Dyne said:
Wait, aren't they all-white until you view each scene, and then colour up when you go back to storybook mode?
I saw
Isa with a gun when the two soldiers broke into her house and Welkin in his tank before I hit X

I want this game sooooooo bad.

This game was on my "Day 1" list and I can't believe I've let it slip by this far and it looks like I won't be able to get to it until sometime after December.

;_;

Picked up the game a week ago and finally got around to playing it this weekend. Stayed up till 2AM last night finishing up with Chapter 7. :D Wasn't that bad honestly; I beat it on my first try even. My strategy...

At the top side of the start point with the tank, I had an engineer and two lancers, and on the bottom all my captains (Rosie/Alicia/Largo) and another lancer and shocktrooper. I kept my tank's side facing Max's tank to provide cover for my lancers and engineer. From that point it was purely a strategy of dropping lancers out, taking a couple shots at the turrets (on the right side), and ducking back behind the tank. Engineer absorbs the tank damage and refills lancer shots every turn. My bottom row took care of the first batch of troops from the northeast until Max's tank wheeled his left side in front of the cover area, then I dropped that line further back behind a large rock and deployed the same lancer strategy for the left side of the tank, and had my tank troop take out the back turret (the back cannon was a much tamer shot than I thought it would be).

From this position I got my first shot at the radiators. I had the captains crew take out the left side radiator, then shoot all the rubble for blocking the tank, then move all those guys way to the south west behind a nice brick corner. The tank crew would take out the back radiator and prepare for the second wave of attack (currently they were a touch southwest of the first destroyed base, very close to the west stage limits). Selvaria and friends come down from the northwest and position themselves to take on my tank. A couple mortars cleared up most of them, and my crew behind the walls finished up any left overs (undetected!). At that point I just waited for Max's tank to turn left so the corner/captain's crew could take out the last radiator uninterrupted. Selvaria was never a threat because her shots couldn't reach my troop, and couldn't hurt my tank at all.

All and all I thought it was a sound strategy, took me 11 turns (C rank), and that was with a ton of lancer whiffs at the turrets and one too many useless troops. Everyone was level 4, except for lancers which were level 5.

Sleepwalking through work but still thinking about it! :lol

Egg Shen said:
Ty the Immortal, the uber dodging bastard
I don't think it was that precise guy (the one i'm thinking of was in the
first desert map
), but another dude kept on avoiding my attacks.
He "avoided" a hand grenade by laying down on top of it...
0 damage... wtf... (much loud cursing ensued)

TheExodu5

Banned
Dyne said:
Weird. I'm on RGB Full on a calibrated Sharp Aquos and I can barely see lines in the white space. I guess I have my contrast too high?

Yes your contrast is too high, which is crushing whites. Also, you're using RGB Full, which is crushing backs.

Bajan32

But i took a little break to play some Motorstorm:pR..

However last nite I had a dream that i was somehow trying to make it out of a warzone where the people i was w/ needed to escape but we were being tracked by some bad guys.

What made this dream stand out was the fact that it played out exactly like a skirmish in VC.
I was in command, had to set up my guys in strategic positions, cover all angles and try to survive. Then my turn would end and id have to wait for the badguys to take their round.

It was awesome, I was totally winning, only lost like one guy....then i woke up...

yeah obviously been playing VC a bit too much.

Dyne

TheExodu5 said:
Yes your contrast is too high, which is crushing whites. Also, you're using RGB Full, which is crushing backs.

Whoa there. It's not crushing either, my TV supports it. The brightness is at +15 and my black level is perfect.

I usually like contrast a little higher. I calibrated with Ratatouille and I think I went 1 or 2 above. This probably explains it.

Dark Octave said:
I want this game sooooooo bad.

This game was on my "Day 1" list and I can't believe I've let it slip by this far and it looks like I won't be able to get to it until sometime after December.

;_;

ya see, I DID get this game on day 1, but other games are preventing me from playing it. I had to play Gears 2 right away since that is a multiplayer/co-op experience, and I didn't want to miss out on that with my friends. Now Left 4 Dead is doing the same thing. I think I might put off Left 4 Dead because my co-op friends are playing Wrath of the Lich Kingt now, though

Baha

Dyne said:

Yeah well wait till chapter 14, I swear I almost wish they were left blank or something, I knew what was gonna happen at the end of that chapter w/o even squinting.

Dyne

Baha said:
Yeah well wait till chapter 14, I swear I almost wish they were left blank or something, I knew what was gonna happen at the end of that chapter w/o even squinting.

Oh what the heck. Yeah I'm definitely leaving my contrast up so I don't spoil myself.

Volcynika

Tycho wrote about it on Penny-Arcade today!

- Valkyria Chronicles is very, very simply one of the best games this year. We've been starved for a worthy tactical experience on the next-gen consoles, waiting for the install bases on this equipment to reach the point where more subtle maneuvers make sense. This game practically defines the Playstation 3 hardware for me, now: you don't get the sense that it's part of some calculated portfolio, engineered to snare elusive demographics. It's just classic from the moment you pick up the controller, with strategy gameplay that feels modern without being compromised for a general audience. I've already recommended the demo, and I'll do so again - it would be a cataclysm if this game doesn't get its due. I could write a thousand words every day for a week on either the design or the art. It's an index of our progress as a species that you can get both on the same disc.

zoku88

Baha said:
Oh yea, I just got past that. Really dumb idea on their part. :lol :lol

Dyne

Volcynika said:
Tycho wrote about it on Penny-Arcade today!

Fuck, they should have pushed it more at PAX. Untapped potential. I mean they pushed Eye of Judgement pretty well. This game is leagues better.

Dyne

XiaNaphryz said:
They just need to do a comic about it now.

I wonder if Zero Punctuation will review this at some point.

They should do it about Jann.

OH I COULD JUST MELT INTO THOSE MUSCLES~

Baha

1up.com had some great ads last week for it on their site. I do hope they talk about it on the 1up show or 1up yours at least.

Dyne

Volcynika said:
Goddamn you, chapter 7!

They got Catherine so I had to retry!

You mean they got to her body before you did? That sucks. : ( I'm so glad for the 3-turn revival thing though, MUCH much better than the way Fire Emblem does it.

When does the anime begin? I know they announced it, but I'm going to be highly anticipating that series and fansubbers hopefully will churn it out on time. Really glad jRPGs are getting anime series - it's a nice compliment to the games and expands the fandom greatly.

Gryphter said:
ya see, I DID get this game on day 1, but other games are preventing me from playing it. I had to play Gears 2 right away since that is a multiplayer/co-op experience, and I didn't want to miss out on that with my friends. Now Left 4 Dead is doing the same thing. I think I might put off Left 4 Dead because my co-op friends are playing Wrath of the Lich Kingt now, though
Almost the same thing here. Gears 2 bareley took priority and I've spent a lot of money on games before VC launched (Dead Space, GH:World Tour, Dragon Quest IV, Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas 2). Add to the fact that I'm moving which is expensive, then Christmas gifts for the family and I'll be VC deprived for a good while, unless I can think of something.

This thread is the true meaning of agony for me...

Baha

TSA said:
When does the anime begin? I know they announced it, but I'm going to be highly anticipating that series and fansubbers hopefully will churn it out on time. Really glad jRPGs are getting anime series - it's a nice compliment to the games and expands the fandom greatly.

Spring 2009 so April at the earliest.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TSA said:
ANN says April 2009.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Volcynika said:
Goddamn you, chapter 7!

They got Catherine so I had to retry!

Chapter 7 is not bad once you get the hang of it.

It may take multiple tries.

Dyne said:
Just beat chapter 7 first try. I loved it! Very exciting.

Also Selvaria's a babe. Damn. :3

I said it the moment the game was announced a year ago.

You are preaching to the choir.

Top Bottom