• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Big-E

Just beat it now and I got to say this is so far the best console rpg of the generation. Thought all the story battles were very well executed and provided a good challenge in order to A rank them all. I loved the little details such as how each and every soldier has their own dialogue in battle. You got diverse personalities ranging from Jann the gay lancer, to Marina the stone cold killer and Claudia the engineer who I liked the best because she would always scream "HIT! HIT!" after every shot like she had no idea what she was doing. Other games need to take some stuff from this game. I have never felt attached to standard party members like I had in this game.

rykomatsu

Big-E said:
Just beat it now and I got to say this is so far the best console rpg of the generation.

Wholeheartedly agree. TBH, I expected it to be a really solid title from the get-go, in particular after hearing the interview with Nonaka Ryutaro and Inoue Marina (and here I'm not even a slight fan of Inoue Marina). While it's not unheard of, it's pretty telling when the VAs are extremely excited about the game and also the development process of it, whether it be the story development or char development while still in the vaults of the developer.

maskrider

Got the UK version, finally ! And they are lying side by side.

vc-all.jpg

Oh, I always thought the western cover with Selvaria was pretty good (except for the horribly ruined german one I happen to own :I ), but the japanese cover looks even better. :eek:

so i FINALLY got this game yesterday
i wasn't allowed to buy it myself because someone wanted to get it me as a birthday gift

It's brilliant! I'm upto Chapter 7 now, i've not been able to put it down
also, it's really freaking hard! :lol I'm not really a tactics RPG fan, and the difficulty curve in comparasin to your average JRPG is stupidly different (i've had to retry several missions, several times), i like the challenge though!

I decided to try it with english VA for my first playthrough, and they're pretty good actually, so well done Sega for that. I especially liked the 'you put poo in my hand? Are you crazy?!' bit.

Also, the bit in Ellet's place, where you're able to purchase interviews and stuff, what does that actually do?

So far, it's already my GOTY 08 , and i'm not even halfway through :D

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Finished it last night, stayed pretty consistent throughout, although there was a distinct lack of cutscenes in the middle 1/3 of the game and it was all just talking heads. Budget problems I guess.

Story wise, its a little too cutsey anime for me. The darker themes are good, but I wish it would have expanded on that. The game could have done a lot more with the
darcsen concentration camps.
I also feel it should have given more time for the villians other than selveria to shine. I found her to be the least interesting amongst them and I would have preferred more screen time given to others, especially the tank guy with the brown hair.

I also could have done without all the valkyuria stuff, but I guess all japanese stories absolutely must have some sort of supernatural aspect to them.

Still, it was the most fun srpg I've played in a long while.

also, to the people who didn't know about R2, L2, don't you ever just... push buttons? You know, to see what they might do?

Baha

Hcoregamer00 said:
NO WAY, ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I played this game for 34 hours and I never noticed this.

Edit: Holy Shit, I just tried it and it works.

:lol :lol :lol

(Sorry for being late but didn't they mention this early on in the book?)

BlazingDarkness said:
any tips for chapter 7 anyone?
i'm being raped

Here's how I did it:
Stack the original playing field with mostly lancers, an engineer, and a sniper near the bottom right. Move your sniper up the hill and use him multiple times to take out the troops up top. Spam the shit out of the tank turrets by using the lancers multiple times, and use the engineer to not only fix the Edelweiss, but to provide ammo to the lancers as well. When it gets to the point where the radiators open up, have some lancers and the sniper retreat in exchange for at least 2 scouts. Place a scout and camp in the safe area behind the chunks of wall to the right of the base that Maximilian runs over, putting your scout in the prime zone to climb the ladder when the weak spots open. Be sure to use a lancer to knock over the walls for obstacles as well too. When Selvaria shows up, use the Edelweiss to take her troops out, and keep that engineer close to it to restock on ammo. Selvaria won't move from the one side of the tank, so that scout you hid should be safe.
I was able to get a B rank on my 2nd try, and I only died on the first attempt because I was being stupid with placing the Edelweiss.

Gryphter said:
Here's how I did it:
Stack the original playing field with mostly lancers, an engineer, and a sniper near the bottom right. Move your sniper up the hill and use him multiple times to take out the troops up top. Spam the shit out of the tank turrets by using the lancers multiple times, and use the engineer to not only fix the Edelweiss, but to provide ammo to the lancers as well. When it gets to the point where the radiators open up, have some lancers and the sniper retreat in exchange for at least 2 scouts. Place a scout and camp in the safe area behind the chunks of wall to the right of the base that Maximilian runs over, putting your scout in the prime zone to climb the ladder when the weak spots open. Be sure to use a lancer to knock over the walls for obstacles as well too. When Selvaria shows up, use the Edelweiss to take her troops out, and keep that engineer close to it to restock on ammo. Selvaria won't move from the one side of the tank, so that scout you hid should be safe.
I was able to get a B rank on my 2nd try, and I only died on the first attempt because I was being stupid with placing the Edelweiss.

where do i place the Edelweiss, where it is at the start?

BlazingDarkness said:
where do i place the Edelweiss, where it is at the start?

Before Selvaria shows up, I bum rushed the shit out of the turrets! I got up damn close and spammed the anti armor rounds to help the lancers take them out, but stay the fuck away from the back and the front of the tank. When Selvaria shows up, I had it in the middle of the map with the engineer hiding behind it; on the map, top to bottom, it was the Edelweiss, a wall, Selvaria, the enemy tank, then my camping scout (this is all just right after the enemy tank takes out your first base and moves forward once). I left the Edelweiss in range so that it could use mortars on the enemy troops Selvaria shows up with, and she didn't end up attacking it at all since a wall was in the way.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Baha said:
:lol :lol :lol

(Sorry for being late but didn't they mention this early on in the book?)
People were probably pressing X as fast as they could to get back to the game.

Played a couple hours of it this weekend. I'm normally not a strategy RPG guy but I am liking it so far. It's not OMG FANTASTIC but it is a very solid game so far.

slayn

BlazingDarkness said:
any tips for chapter 7 anyone?
i'm being raped
My advice would be to *not* take out the turrets if you can handle it. Or take out as few as possible. They eat up CP that would otherwise be used by selveria and her squad. If she jumps in with 20cp, it can hurt. Try to get the turrets to attempt to hit you while under cover so that the cp is mostly wasted. Likewise if my tank was at full hp, I would intentionally get hit by the rear cannon just to eat up some more cp.

I used similar tactics in later stages where I would park the edelweiss with an engineer right near a couple enemy tanks and then never kill the tanks. The AI is stupid, and except for bosses, never uses a unit more thance twice. So sometimes the AI would then use up 8cp taking shots at my tank which could be healed up with 1 or 2cp from the engineer.

CP is everything in this game and baiting the AI into wasting its cp on attacks that don't result in a kill is possibly more valuable than killing non-essential enemy soldiers.

edit:
I didn't try this, but some of the walls on stage 7 form corners. I would be curious if you could use your tank to push selveria into a corner by repeatidly running her over, and then wedging the tank into the corner so that she can't move and can't attack anything except the side of your tank. That would be kind of funny.

Volcynika

Hopefully I can get back on this game during my Thanksgiving break, Ch7 got me a little discouraged, and I had tests and interviews to focus on anyways.

Big-E

For chapter 7, don't kill a radiator in three straight shots. Try to hurt all of them with two shots when the radiators are first exposed and then finish one of them off. Then all you have to do is knock down the walls so he uses the main cannon to expose the radiators two more times. After the radiators are gone, just spam lancer attacks and reload with engineers. Also, it may help to take out the turrets on the tanks left side and rear. The ones on the tanks right side should not be much of a problem.

XiaNaphryz

Big-E said:
For chapter 7, don't kill a radiator in three straight shots. Try to hurt all of them with two shots when the radiators are first exposed and then finish one of them off. Then all you have to do is knock down the walls so he uses the main cannon to expose the radiators two more times. After the radiators are gone, just spam lancer attacks and reload with engineers. Also, it may help to take out the turrets on the tanks left side and rear. The ones on the tanks right side should not be much of a problem.
Why bother with all that when one grenade can kill a radiator in 1 shot?

Big-E

XiaNaphryz said:
Why bother with all that when one grenade can kill a radiator in 1 shot?

Never tried the grenades. I never really rolled with scouts and troopers because lancers are needed for the turrets and killing the tank itself so I didn't want to waste space with weak scouts.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Aaahhhh I finally finished the chapter 5 battle after 4 tries! I'm doomed there's no way I'll be able to beat the game if I'm doing so poorly early on! Guess I'll have to grind skirmishes >.<

Big-E

Lindsay said:
Aaahhhh I finally finished the chapter 5 battle after 4 tries! I'm doomed there's no way I'll be able to beat the game if I'm doing so poorly early on! Guess I'll have to grind skirmishes >.<

The second skirmish is fairly easy to grind. Send a sniper to the right and shoot the two guys on the ground there. Bring an engineer to your sniper to reload and use the engineer to shoot the guy on the roof. Next snipe one of the guys at the flag. Then just move up your scout going around the right and shoot the last guy in the base. Easy A rank.

XiaNaphryz

Big-E said:
Never tried the grenades. I never really rolled with scouts and troopers because lancers are needed for the turrets and killing the tank itself so I didn't want to waste space with weak scouts.
Who said anything about scouts? I had engineers do it since they have to refill lancer ammo anyway. ;)

patsu

Lindsay said:

How did you win Battle 5 ?

I took out the first 2 camps asap (using tank and Aika). Then I sent Alicia and Rossie from the back alley to take camp 3 by charging all the way. Rossie the Shocktropper can take quite a beating, especially with Ragnite healing. I relied on hand grenades and machine gun a lot.

This has probably been asked before but I went back a few pages and didn't see anything but is this game getting trophy support anytime soon? I want to play it but would prefer starting it when trophy support comes around. I know in Japan they had some downloadable content and that the US is supposed to be getting it but does any of it involve trophies?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Big-E said:
The second skirmish is fairly easy to grind. Send a sniper to the right and shoot the two guys on the ground there. Bring an engineer to your sniper to reload and use the engineer to shoot the guy on the roof. Next snipe one of the guys at the flag. Then just move up your scout going around the right and shoot the last guy in the base. Easy A rank.

I only got one A rank so far and that was on my third try of battle 3 somehow. So I say easy nothing! I'll prolly manage to C it up somehow especially since the only time I used a Sniper was in the demo and they always missed!

patsu said:
How did you win Battle 5 ?

By healing my tank multiple times per turn x_x First I moved up despite the warning and the anti-tank got me then the mid tank pounded on it then the other one did. C ranked it! What was with that one Shocktrooper anyway? Guy dodged everything I had and killed my guys till I finally just killed him with my tank.

Big-E

Lindsay said:
I only got one A rank so far and that was on my third try of battle 3 somehow. So I say easy nothing! I'll prolly manage to C it up somehow especially since the only time I used a Sniper was in the demo and they always missed!

You should still be able to do it. Ranks are only determined by the amount of turns and if you do all that, you will finish in the first turn. Might want to save though before your sniper shoots because if you miss one shot you will run out of cp.

Dave1988

mrkapawutzis said:
This has probably been asked before but I went back a few pages and didn't see anything but is this game getting trophy support anytime soon? I want to play it but would prefer starting it when trophy support comes around. I know in Japan they had some downloadable content and that the US is supposed to be getting it but does any of it involve trophies?

SEGA has said nothing about trophies. We might get them, we might not, and the DLC released in Japan has nothing to do with trophies.

slayn

I just now realized another piece that really bothered me but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. Why did they not do much with the Federation? There was just the
kidnapping

You would think that since the empire is sending the strongest pieces of its military at Gallia, that the federation would have been much more involved. I mean, if the federation wasn't in Gallia at all, and all of the empires weapons and generals were in gallia, wouldn't the federation have an incredibly easy invasion into the empire?

Was there something I missed? The opening made such a big neal of how this wasn't gallia's fight, and yet they end up doing everything.

patsu

Lindsay said:
What was with that one Shocktrooper anyway? Guy dodged everything I had and killed my guys till I finally just killed him with my tank.

This. But the reverse is also true. :)

My shocktropper charged and wiped out 2 shocktroppers and 2 scouts in 5 consecutive turns including 1 healing. Her fellow scout took out 2 shocktroppers with 1 hand grenade, but fell very quickly when fired upon (Just 1 turn !).

I always use grenade or mortar on shocktropper(s). They are tough.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lindsay said:
Snipers are your friend when you get a B-rating rifle, otherwise they tend to waste turns.

What was with that one Shocktrooper anyway? Guy dodged everything I had and killed my guys till I finally just killed him with my tank.
You'll get a few of those in the game. The worst is when they lay down for cover so first you have to blow them up out of that, and then they still dodge everything.

Speaking of which, what is up with the laying down mechanic? It's my only real gripe with the game system. I understand laying for cover when you're far away, but if I'm basically standing on top of them it should be a SERIOUS disadvantage to them. Like, undodgeable one shot to the head death kind of thing.

Big-E

Dice said:
You'll get a few of those in the game. The worst is when they lay down for cover so first you have to blow them up out of that, and then they still dodge everything.

Speaking of which, what is up with the laying down mechanic? It's my only real gripe with the game system. I understand laying for cover when you're far away, but if I'm basically standing on top of them it should be a SERIOUS disadvantage to them. Like, undodgeable one shot to the head death kind of thing.

Ya that is the only real thing that bothers me about the cover mechanic. If a unit is in cover then they have added defense no matter where you are attacking them from.

slayn

Dice said:
Snipers are your friend when you get a B-rating rifle, otherwise they tend to waste turns.

Its just a game mechanic thing. All characters have a chance for evasion and lying down is the generic animaiton. If you're up close, pretend you shot for their head and the jumped out of the way or something.

Try to get behind them instead of just up close. If you are behind someone, then they will be unable to dodge. The better they can see you when you attack, the higher the chance of evading.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I just bought another copy of this game.

Don't ask me why.

I still haven't played it.

Too busy with Last Remnant.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
slayn said:
Its just a game mechanic thing. All characters have a chance for evasion and lying down is the generic animaiton. If you're up close, pretend you shot for their head and the jumped out of the way or something.

Try to get behind them instead of just up close. If you are behind someone, then they will be unable to dodge. The better they can see you when you attack, the higher the chance of evading.
I don't mean evasion. I can be okay with that just because they see you lift your gun. I'm talking about when they are hiding in grass and you find them and point your gun right at their head and somehow they are magically defended not just against criticals but even normal damage by being in grass.

Dice said:
I don't mean evasion. I can be okay with that just because they see you lift your gun. I'm talking about when they are hiding in grass and you find them and point your gun right at their head and somehow they are magically defended not just against criticals but even normal damage by being in grass.

Yeah, it can be annoying when you sneak up on some one crouching behind a sand bad and have to waste a turn blowing him away from it with a grenade and then killing him. As shitty as that is, its always nice when the AI shocktrooper runs around a bag and shoot my character at point blank and doesnt kill them. It works both ways.

Big-E

The cover problems really don't cause much of a problem though once you get elite troopers. The flamethrower is usually good enough to completely destroy anyone behind cover and can often kill more than one enemy in one go.

Dave1988

Big-E said:
The cover problems really don't cause much of a problem though once you get elite troopers. The flamethrower is usually good enough to completely destroy anyone behind cover and can often kill more than one enemy in one go.

I've totally sarted to love the flamethrower after I took out three guys in one CP.

Top Bottom