• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
chespace said:
I just bought another copy of this game.

Don't ask me why.

I still haven't played it.

Too busy with Last Remnant.

Its awesome that you are buying the game, but is buying a second copy really necessary?

Hcoregamer00

Carmilla said:
shutupshutupshutup!

We need the support! =P

If he was doing something with it like giving as a present, I agree it is for a good use, but as far as I can tell buying another copy for the sake of it is a waste of money.

Defuser said:
Buy more is good!!! Those fuckers who aren't buying the game doesn't deserve the game!

I would agree with you if it was people buying it for friends or family.

Carmilla

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
If he was doing something with it like giving as a present, I agree it is for a good use, but as far as I can tell buying another copy for the sake of it is a waste of money.

I certainly appreciate your view on the ethics of superfluous purchases...

He can gift it to himself for all I care...twice.

I know that I've purchased a few games I already own to give to the "Adopt a Family" we have at work so I understand your sentiment.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:
I would agree with you if it was people buying it for friends or family.
What about collectors who just want to own an unopened copy from every region? This is GAF after all...

Hcoregamer00

XiaNaphryz said:
What about collectors who just want to own an unopened copy from every region? This is GAF after all...

Do it when the game price collapses, I know I will buy another one for the sake of collecting.

i've arrived at chapter 18 (17 was nasty til i gave up trying to be clever, & just fell back on good ol' guerilla tactics), & vc's most definitely my rpg of the year - disgaea 3's fun, & i know persona 4 will be great, but the fact that vc, despite being a new franchise, 'feels' like it's been around forever is, to my mind, worthy of special acknowledgment - i've just been very comfortable playing the game from the beginning, & i think, for a new game, that's about the highest praise you can give...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Dice said:
I don't mean evasion. I can be okay with that just because they see you lift your gun. I'm talking about when they are hiding in grass and you find them and point your gun right at their head and somehow they are magically defended not just against criticals but even normal damage by being in grass.
I guess it is pretty silly, but I think cover would be really imbalanced without it. Imagine how annoyed you would be if a couple enemy snipers from clear across the map 1 hit killed your entire team which was behind cover in one round. Especially if that sniper was a new reinforcement and there was nothing you could have done.

It would also make gernades and flame throwers much less purposeful.

neight

Banned
Accuracy should be affected by distance. I've wasted as much as 3 turns trying to hit things that are right in front of me. That is a big fault of the game and hope they improve on that in a sequel(if there is one please don't start the doom and gloom sales shit again).

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
Accuracy should be affected by distance. I've wasted as much as 3 turns trying to hit things that are right in front of me. That is a big fault of the game and hope they improve on that in a sequel(if there is one please don't start the doom and gloom sales shit again).

Then don't bring up the subject.

kinn

Pachael said:
I'm part of the 'bomba' parade but I'll be disappointed if not surprised if it shows that the game doesn't sell well. (whereas Iron Man sells a million)

Like I articulated before, the problems are: Low shipment numbers, Crowded release schedule, fairly niche genre, and lack of Sega marketing or push. As for the latter, I hear there's a new Sonic game with werehogs.

So depressing. Its a shame when a good game like this gets ignored and crap like Iron Man gets released (let alone selling well).

I wonder if this game would have sold better if SquareEnix's name was on the cover instead of Sega's.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I said it before and I will say it again, Valkyria has some of Sakimoto's best compositions.

Did he also do Skies of Arcadia?

Hcoregamer00

kinn said:
Did he also do Skies of Arcadia?

Nope, he did Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy XII, Odin Sphere, Gringrimoire, Vagrant Story, and is working on Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)

He is basically the KING of Strategy RPG composition.

Carmilla

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Nope, he did Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy XII, Odin Sphere, Gringrimoire, Vagrant Story, and is working on Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)

He is basically the KING of Strategy RPG composition.

Has some of the greatest music in RPGs period for the PS2

I want to support the game more by buying VC related merchandise. I wish they sold actual artbooks, lithographs (or whatever you want to call them for a game), soundtrack (I know there's one but jpn only), etc, I' all for it! There are some figures and statues out already and more coming, so I am definitely keeping tabs on it!

Hcoregamer00

Gryphter said:
I want to support the game more by buying VC related merchandise. I wish they sold actual artbooks, lithographs (or whatever you want to call them for a game), soundtrack (I know there's one but jpn only), etc, I' all for it! There are some figures and statues out already and more coming, so I am definitely keeping tabs on it!

I would buy an official artbook in a heartbeat.

I would say Valkyria Figures, but the good ones aren't coming until December. Also, the good Selvaria Figure is still not announced for released.

>_<

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
Just preempting anyone that may jump onto that crap given my sequel comment. ;)

I bring up sales as a response to someone posting, so your comment would not mean anything because you already initiated the discussion.

;)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Big-E said:
You should still be able to do it. Ranks are only determined by the amount of turns and if you do all that, you will finish in the first turn. Might want to save though before your sniper shoots because if you miss one shot you will run out of cp.

Ummm well no I just totally failed it. I guess by "right side" you meant the right side of the left start point.... not the right side where your tank is... and by guys on the ground you mean not the guys in the grass but the ones in the town. x_x

AKS

Wow, this game is so awesome! Sega is making such killer titles between Ryo Go Gotoku, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter, and publishing titles from Platinum Games (yes, I was a huge Clover fan). Sega has already made a comeback and is making elite titles again, but few seem to know about it. I hope at least one of these kickass titles is a financial success so everyone else sees what Sega is doing.

Hcoregamer00

AKS said:
Wow, this game is so awesome! Sega is making such killer titles between Ryo Go Gotoku, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter, and publishing titles from Platinum Games (yes, I was a huge Clover fan). Sega has already made a comeback and is making elite titles again, but few seem to know about it. I hope at least one of these kickass titles is a financial success so everyone else sees what Sega is doing.

If it makes you feel better, Sonic will likely sell well.

patsu

neight said:

Who were you shooting at ? and by whom ?

AKS

Hcoregamer00 said:
If it makes you feel better, Sonic will likely sell well.

If the latest Sonic game is actually good, it might. I'd rather the other games I mentioned get some attention, but that's not realistic I suppose. I'd just like to see Sega's hard work and awesome games provide some rewards for them so they can keep making great games like Valkyria Chronicles and Ryo Go Gotaku. Also, is it possible if they can make a terrific SRPG like Valkyria Chronicles that they might remember how to make a Phantasy Star game as good as I or IV? I can only hope...

Hcoregamer00

AKS said:
If the latest Sonic game is actually good, it might. I'd rather the other games I mentioned get some attention, but that's not realistic I suppose. I'd just like to see Sega's hard work and awesome games provide some rewards for them so they can keep making great games like Valkyria Chronicles and Ryo Go Gotaku. Also, is it possible if they can make a terrific SRPG like Valkyria Chronicles that they might remember how to make a Phantasy Star game as good as I or IV? I can only hope...

You forgot to mention Phantasy Star II.

Durante

neight said:
Accuracy should be affected by distance. I've wasted as much as 3 turns trying to hit things that are right in front of me.
But accuracy is implicitly affected by distance, is it not? Distant objects are smaller and thus harder to hit. Anyway, it's an RPG, accuracy is one of the stats that show tangible growth throughout the game. And I think we have different definitions of "right in front", because even at the very beginning of the game I don't think I ever missed stuff "right in front" of me.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
neight said:
uh, it is? simply by the nature of perspective?

The closer you are to something, the less physical distance is encompassed by your aiming circle.

edit: beaten

O' CANADA! OUR HOME AND NATIVE LAND!
NO CHRONICLES, IN ALL YOUR GAMING STAND!
NO MAGAZINE RACKS, NO SHIT TO SHOVE,
NO VALKYRIA BEAUTY.
FROM EB GAMES TO FUTURE SHOP,
IT'S NO WHERE TO BE SEEN!

GOD KEEP YOUR STORE EMPTY AND CLEAN,
O CANADA, WE SHOVE THE RACKS FOR THEE!
O CANADA, WE SHOVE THE RACKS... FOR... THEE!!!!!!!!!

Shadow780

shagg_187 said:
NO VALKYRIA BEAUTY.

:lol :lol

depward

shagg_187 said:
NO VALKYRIA BEAUTY.

HAHAHA that was so so so awesome (sorry about Valkyria not being in stock anywhere..)

Farnack

Banned
shagg_187 said:
NO VALKYRIA BEAUTY.

Lol, dude what part of Canada do you live at?

Baha

shagg_187 said:
NO VALKYRIA BEAUTY.

If major retailers are a bust start calling up the smaller video game shops in your city. Google is your friend.

neight

Banned
Durante said:
But accuracy is implicitly affected by distance, is it not? Distant objects are smaller and thus harder to hit. Anyway, it's an RPG, accuracy is one of the stats that show tangible growth throughout the game. And I think we have different definitions of "right in front", because even at the very beginning of the game I don't think I ever missed stuff "right in front" of me.
slayn said:
uh, it is? simply by the nature of perspective?

The closer you are to something, the less physical distance is encompassed by your aiming circle.

edit: beaten
Yes I'm aware that the more of the enemy that fills the aiming circle the higher the chance of hitting. But there's still a dice roll that happens if even like 20% of the aiming circle is free. I'm just saying that when I have the enemy filling up 70-80% of the damn aiming circle standing right in front of him I should not miss. And being close in front of the enemy should also negate the ability of the enemy to evade.

Durante

neight said:
Yes I'm aware that the more of the enemy that fills the aiming pointer the higher the chance of hitting. But there's still a dice roll that happens if even like 20% of the aiming circle is free. I'm just saying that when I have the enemy filling up 70-80% of the damn aiming circle I should not miss.
I really don't understand your point. The aiming circle shows the area in which your shot may land. There is always a "dice roll" to decide where exactly in the circle your shot is going to hit. If the enemy fills 80% then you have a 20% chance of missing. The ony way to make 100% sure to hit an enemy is having it fill 100% of the aiming circle. Eeverything else would be extremely counter-intuitive to me.

hrmope.jpg

maskrider

neight said:
... I have the enemy filling up 70-80% of the damn aiming circle ...

You answered yourself. That's what leveling up are for, it makes the circle smaller and you have less chance of a miss.

neight said:
And being close in front of the enemy should also negate the ability of the enemy to evade.

From my experience, if you act fast (aim and shoot before they can react), the chances of evading or defending are lowered.

neight

Banned
maskrider said:
You answered yourself. That's what leveling up are for, it makes the circle smaller and you have less chance of a miss.
Glad to hear that I think I should note I've been playing the game in very short spurts I just beat chapter 5 I think(first encounter with Jaegar and his tank). I still think it's annoying how you have to level the game to a balanced state, that's cheap. Like how the snipers were completely useless at first.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
neight said:
Glad to hear that I think I should note I've been playing the game in very short spurts I just beat chapter 5 I think(first encounter with Jaegar and his tank). I still think it's annoying how you have to level the game to a balanced state, that's cheap. Like how the snipers were completely useless at first.

It's entirely possible for a sniper to stay out of range of interception fire and still pop somebody even before you gain levels and get better guns. Just fire from a moderate distance instead of from way across the battlefield for a pretty good chance of landing a head shot.

You can also use the tip the game gives you of having your snipers retreat and redeploy from a captured base to get them nearer the enemy without having to burn CP getting them into position. Or, if you don't need them right away, just don't deploy them at the beginning of the battle and wait until you've secured a base nearer the enemy to call them in. Only 1 CP needed that way.

maskrider

neight said:

They stayed true to the story, the people are not well trained army, they are the militia, or amateur soldiers that were called in/volunteered to protect their country. Leveling up means more training that makes them closer to professionals.

neight

Banned
maskrider said:
They stayed true to the story, the people are not well trained army, they are the militia, or amateur soldiers that were called in/volunteered to protect their country. Leveling up means more training that makes them closer to professionals.
lol okay that's the best explanation for the growing pains this system has but c'mon even a rookie with the rudimentary training a militia would receive would be able to hit his target from 10 feet away especially with the Lancer class where you're firing this rocket launcher type weapon against tanks.
ixix said:
It's entirely possible for a sniper to stay out of range of interception fire and still pop somebody even before you gain levels and get better guns. Just fire from a moderate distance instead of from way across the battlefield for a pretty good chance of landing a head shot.
I think you need to replay the first couple chapters again because the sniper couldn't hit shit. Even when you would get moderately close you still miss like 50% of the time.

I do recognize from what you people have said and what I'm seeing that the system does balance out but even though the growing pains only lasts for 2-4 chapters I find it objectionable that your introduction to the game is basically broken.

Spike

shagg_187 said:
NO VALKYRIA BEAUTY.

Valkyria Chronicles - PS3 (In stock usually ships within 24hrs) $59.99CDN
http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=13960

Retail Locations :

North York
1068 Wilson Ave.
(Downsview Plaza)
North York, Ontario.
M3K 1G6
(416) 636-5774

Hours of Operation :
Monday to Friday : 10am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday : 11am to 7pm

Mississauga
377 Burnhamthorpe Rd. East
(Central Parkway Mall)
L5A 3Y1
(905) 803-0754

Hours of Operation :
Monday to Friday : 10am to 9pm
Saturday : 11am to 6pm
Sunday : 12pm to 5pm

Seriously, what more do you want? Why do you keep going to stores like EB/FS/BB? These guys have been around since 1990 and they always have stock available. In fact, they almost always have the game on the ship date, whereas EB gets it in the day after.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
neight said:
I think you need to replay the first couple chapters again because the sniper couldn't hit shit. Even when you would get moderately close you still miss like 50% of the time.

I do recognize from what you people have said and what I'm seeing that the system does balance out but even though the growing pains only lasts for 2-4 chapters I find it objectionable that your introduction to the game is basically broken.

I used the hell out of snipers in the early chapters, before I succumbed to the siren's song of scout spam. I'd have them get near the enemy and fire using 1 CP, then have them use another CP to take another shot and run back out of sight. It worked quite well up until I stopped caring about interception fire and embraced the rushdown.

neight

Banned
ixix said:
I used the hell out of snipers in the early chapters, before I succumbed to the siren's song of scout spam. I'd have them get near the enemy and fire using 1 CP, then have them use another CP to take another shot and run back out of sight. It worked quite well up until I stopped caring about interception fire and embraced the rushdown.
But you shouldn't have to get that close-up and then have to run away. The point of snipers is not getting close. With snipers you bunk down in a position and from there snipe away.

Again this is just a problem I have with the state of the game system at the start before you level it up it's not really worth continuing discussion. I'm sure anyone that plays through a good chunk of the game will not even give a second thought to the initial problems as is evident by this thread. I've just been playing the game very slowly which is why this popped out at me so much.

maskrider

neight said:
lol okay that's the best explanation for the growing pains this system has but c'mon even a rookie with the rudimentary training a militia would receive would be able to hit his target from 10 feet away especially with the Lancer class where you're firing this rocket launcher type weapon against tanks.

Well, do you expect 100% accuracy from amateurs ? Do you think hand held rocket launcher is so easy to control ? I think they are doing a very good job of balancing between the restrictions/limits.

neight said:

If there is no such stuffs to balance out the things, you would be defeated in every chapters because the enemies shouldn't make mistakes and will hit your critical weak spot every time they fire, you do recognise that the enemies are more capable than you do in general, right ?

neight said:
Again this is just a problem I have with the state of the game system at the start before you level it up it's not really worth continuing discussion I'm sure anyone that plays through a good chunk of the game will not even give a second thought to the initial problems as is evident by this thread. I've just been playing the game slowly which is why this popped out at me so much.

I play from scratch recently with the US version (and yesterday my UK version, I have opened it anyway), I don't see it as a problem because it is you who should find the best way to use your troops.

I'll rest my comment.

Top Bottom