• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

patsu

ixix said:
It's entirely possible for a sniper to stay out of range of interception fire and still pop somebody even before you gain levels and get better guns. Just fire from a moderate distance instead of from way across the battlefield for a pretty good chance of landing a head shot.

You can also use the tip the game gives you of having your snipers retreat and redeploy from a captured base to get them nearer the enemy without having to burn CP getting them into position. Or, if you don't need them right away, just don't deploy them at the beginning of the battle and wait until you've secured a base nearer the enemy to call them in. Only 1 CP needed that way.

Great advices !

How far is "good enough" for a sniper ? like how many blocks away ?

neight

Banned
maskrider said:
Well, do you expect 100% accuracy from amateurs ? Do you think hand held rocket launcher is so easy to control ? I think they are doing a very good job of balancing between the restrictions/limits.
No not 100%, misses do happen in real life too. Not that this game is a war sim, in this game misses happen due to game mechanic dice rolls not because of sim aspects. I do expect misses to happen in the game but when you're standing close to something you shouldn't miss that much.

I'll just post this again. It's just a bad introduction to a game imo. Still an overall good game once you've leveled up.
neight said:
I do recognize from what you people have said and what I'm seeing that the system does balance out but even though the growing pains only lasts for 2-4 chapters I find it objectionable that your introduction to the game is basically broken.
neight said:
Again this is just a problem I have with the state of the game system at the start before you level it up it's not really worth continuing discussion. I'm sure anyone that plays through a good chunk of the game will not even give a second thought to the initial problems as is evident by this thread. I've just been playing the game very slowly which is why this popped out at me so much.

And actually handheld anti-tank rockets have historically been easy to use. The panzerfausts were a very effective weapon for Nazi Germany especially in the late part of WW2 when the Wehrmacht was short of experienced soldiers precisely because of how easy it was to use.

RpgN

Lindsay said:
Aaahhhh I finally finished the chapter 5 battle after 4 tries! I'm doomed there's no way I'll be able to beat the game if I'm doing so poorly early on! Guess I'll have to grind skirmishes >.<

Have you played SRPG games before? It's really not that hard compared to those and I don't think it will get easier by grinding. You should really take a good look at your surroundings and the recruits' potentials.

Drac

Was just wondering if the translation is the same for US and Canada ? 'Cause I have the Canadian one but holy sh#t, I could do a better work with my 3 years of japanese. Sometimes there is some sub and characters are not even talking :/
Great game anyway, ps3 finally gets some love for rpg? This and Disgaea 3 = win
Now bring the dlc!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
patsu said:
Great advices !

How far is "good enough" for a sniper ? like how many blocks away ?

As close as you can get without triggering interception fire, or as close as it takes to get their head to fill most of the targeting circle. Whichever comes first.

Alternate answer: as close as their paltry AP can get them.

Durante

RpgN said:
Have you played SRPG games before? It's really not that hard compared to those and I don't think it will get easier by grinding. You should really take a good look at your surroundings and the recruits' potentials.
I think just taking a good look at the map and enemies' postitioning should suffice, I never even cared about the potentials (I chose my recruits by looks/voice/profile basically) and I didn't have any insurmountable problems. But I should mention that I still haven't completely finished the game :lol

Oh, and regarding the earlier sniper discussion: I also used snipers a lot already in the earlier missions, from a moderate distance they are the best class for killing non-crouched infantry without any HP loss even in the beginning.

Llyranor

Heh, I should stop doing skirmishes. I mean, I like the combat and all, but the last few have basically been complete rehashes of the main story battles. It seems like it's mostly for grinding.

RpgN

Durante said:
I think just taking a good look at the map and enemies' postitioning should suffice, I never even cared about the potentials (I chose my recruits by looks/voice/profile basically) and I didn't have any insurmountable problems. But I should mention that I still haven't completely finished the game :lol

Potentials are really handy. Being noctural (having the same sight as in the morning) at night missions. Recruits with mud (I think that's what's called), can avoid trigger the traps even if they step on it, handy with missions full of them. Or recruits that have undodgeable shots are really handy if there is a mission with little maximal recruits and you really can't afford to miss. Sniper's extra shots are also handy when engineers are not around. I once had Oscar had 3 extra shots :lol It might be not necessary to finish the missions with having potentials in mind, but it adds to the overall strategy of the game. I like to take advantage of them :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Drac said:
Was just wondering if the translation is the same for US and Canada ? 'Cause I have the Canadian one but holy sh#t, I could do a better work with my 3 years of japanese. Sometimes there is some sub and characters are not even talking :/
Great game anyway, ps3 finally gets some love for rpg? This and Disgaea 3 = win
Now bring the dlc!
The subs aren't based on the original Japanese dialogue, they're for the English localization which took some liberties here and there. Sometimes it's still in the spirit of the original dialogue, but a couple places were quite far off.

Big-E

Llyranor said:
Heh, I should stop doing skirmishes. I mean, I like the combat and all, but the last few have basically been complete rehashes of the main story battles. It seems like it's mostly for grinding.

Ya, I stopped doing them when I unlocked the first skirmish on the second page. You should play them again on a second playthrough since they are completely different if you play on hard.

Is going to your character list in battle the only way to view a character's potentials? Another dynamic indicator would help out a lot I think if there is one. Namely for advantages over certain enemy types. Sometimes I don't think to check if one of my characters is single-handedly capable of wiping out an entire squad of enemy lancers, etc.

So far I've had one or two close calls, but still grinding along. I've only played 2 skirmishes, and I'm up to Chapter 7 now which is supposedly a bitch.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
This figure looks like epic win.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10077832

$30 USD isn't bad. It's Yujin, however. Damn I wish Good Smile or Max Factory, or heck, even Alter would jump on it and make some figures.

10077832a.jpg

Looks like crap, probably will buy anyways.

Llyranor

Big-E said:
Ya, I stopped doing them when I unlocked the first skirmish on the second page. You should play them again on a second playthrough since they are completely different if you play on hard.
Sounds like a plan. Skirmishes on hard sound appealing if they actually are different (and challenging).

RpgN

Valkyr Junkie said:
Is going to your character list in battle the only way to view a character's potentials? Another dynamic indicator would help out a lot I think if there is one. Namely for advantages over certain enemy types. Sometimes I don't think to check if one of my characters is single-handedly capable of wiping out an entire squad of enemy lancers, etc.

So far I've had one or two close calls, but still grinding along. I've only played 2 skirmishes, and I'm up to Chapter 7 now which is supposedly a bitch.

Triangle is your friend. You need to be pointing yourself to the recruits/enemies' and then their names will pop-up on the left side of the screen, and then you use triangle. If you're not pointing at someone you look at the character's potential you're using at that moment.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG this game has RACISM

Isara rocks though. :lol

"Oh there was a tank in the garage and i fixed it lol....good power to weight ratio."

Phew, took out the tank with like a turn left before the wall ate it. Two boys!

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone actually get A's on their first playthrough on a mission? Only two missions I've gotton A on, and they were both ones I redid several times.

I dislike that your rating is based on how many turns you complete a mission on, since I naturally think it's based on how much damage your characters so I take thing slow.

Ferrio said:
Anyone actually get A's on their first playthrough on a mission? Only two missions I've gotton A on, and they were both ones I redid several times.

I dislike that your rating is based on how many turns you complete a mission on, since I naturally think it's based on how much damage your characters so I take thing slow.

I got an A on Largo's side mission (vegetables!) the first time i did it
just used Largo and ran through avoiding the enemy soldiers, destroyed the one in the machine gun thing, and went onto the hill and took out the two tanks, it took me three turns in total.

buffi

Banned
Ferrio said:

I got A on 6 chapters during my first playthrough, one of which being the last one :)

Kyoufu

Ferrio said:

I had S rank on all the chapters on the 2nd part of the game, when I finally got the hang of it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ferrio said:

I got an A on the very first mission, but I guess that doesn't count as I played it in the demo first (beat it in 2 turns in the demo first time I played it, 1 turn in the retail).

Come to think of it, I got a couple A's in the first handful of missions.

Big-E

Ferrio said:

I got a rank on every single mission except the first two when I wasn't trying to get them. I was able to do it by playing through them multiple times but on the hard ones like taking out
Selvaria
I had to look at a guide.

RpgN said:
Triangle is your friend. You need to be pointing yourself to the recruits/enemies' and then their names will pop-up on the left side of the screen, and then you use triangle. If you're not pointing at someone you look at the character's potential you're using at that moment.

Thanks.

I managed to beat Chapter 7 on my first real attempt, but man; talk about nerve-racking. It took me nearly an hour and a half and 13 turns, but I managed to make it through without any casualties (thanks to a few daring rescues and evacs). I'm afraid to ask, but how much more difficult are some of the later missions? :lol

inner-G

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Thanks.

I managed to beat Chapter 7 on my first real attempt, but man; talk about nerve-racking. It took me nearly an hour and a half and 13 turns, but I managed to make it through without any casualties (thanks to a few daring rescues and evacs). I'm afraid to ask, but how much more difficult are some of the later missions? :lol
That's the one where
you blow up the radiators on the tank and the Valkylria shows up
right?

Shit is so epic. That's why I love this game, it's full of those moments.

Spike said:
Valkyria Chronicles - PS3 (In stock usually ships within 24hrs) $59.99CDN
http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=13960

Retail Locations :

North York
1068 Wilson Ave.
(Downsview Plaza)
North York, Ontario.
M3K 1G6
(416) 636-5774

Hours of Operation :
Monday to Friday : 10am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday : 11am to 7pm

Mississauga
377 Burnhamthorpe Rd. East
(Central Parkway Mall)
L5A 3Y1
(905) 803-0754

Hours of Operation :
Monday to Friday : 10am to 9pm
Saturday : 11am to 6pm
Sunday : 12pm to 5pm

Seriously, what more do you want? Why do you keep going to stores like EB/FS/BB? These guys have been around since 1990 and they always have stock available. In fact, they almost always have the game on the ship date, whereas EB gets it in the day after.

You're the man. I didn't know they were retail. I avoid websites that (excuse my french) do not look safe. Getting it tommorow ASAP!

IT ARRIVED!!! AMAZON.CA CAME THROUGH!!!

Now to figure out some way to kick my wife off the Wii Fit board so I can play. heh heh. No, I need to exercise too...

Hcoregamer00 said:
Looks like crap, probably will buy anyways.

It had so much potential, but since it's Yujin, my expectations are very low for it.

Have you seen the Shining figures from Kotobukiya? They are quite nice! Er... here's a good example:

10066077a12.jpg

If a company like that picked up Valkyria Chronicles, I'd be all over that like bees to honey!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I hope Gametrailers excellent review gets more people interested in the game.

Hell, it sold be a copy of the game, and I was sold on the damn game a year ago :lol

ianp622

Dave1988 said:
Her face looks...off.

Lips are too wide, eyes have black stuff around them, and they are also too big. The shape of the eyes is off too.

Sorry, I just got back from my 3D modeling class where I'm working on a human face :)

Dragon

Banned
Well I got an A on Mission 7. Finally done, after putting it off for two weeks.

Eat that Maximillian. BTW, using grenades on the radiators saved me having to use lancers at all. I just pounded away with the Edelweiss on Turn 9. Using a Sniper worked well. At teh beginning I had the sniper kill all of the guys that start above you by climbing up the tank, and then after the reinforcements come I did something similar.

Yazuka

Zyzyxxz said:
I did not know that the Japanese dub was included, finally a game which will satisfy the Japanophiles on GAF?
Probably not. They'll find other things to complain about. People always do.
Well I'm glad that they add that option and I hope more companies will have dual audio tracks. Well as long as I get english audiotrack in my games I don't care. =)

Nice review! Not gonna watch it. Just looking at what it scored is enough.
Gonna post it to others I know and hope they finally get the game.

buffi

Banned
Yazuka said:
Probably not. They'll find other things to complain about. People always do.

Like previously mentioned, the subtitles are rather shitty (the English and Japanese dialog differ quite often and the subtitles are a straight transcript of the English dub).

Still awesome though.

Yazuka

buffi said:
Like previously mentioned, the subtitles are rather shitty (the English and Japanese dialog differ quite often and the subtitles are a straight transcript of the English dub).

Still awesome though.
Yeah, that was a bit of what I was getting at.
But isn't this the case with most games that has the Japanese audio? They almost always make the subtitles after the english translation instead of a direct version of the Japanese audio?

patsu

Valkyr Junkie said:

Yeah, I just beat Chapter 7 too. It was depressing.
Damn Selvaria. I lost 2 soldiers (actually 4 but Rosie and Alicia simply retreated). At several points of the game, I only had 1 soldier left in the final base, and he was under attacked too. I had already given up but the lone soldier managed to pull through.

In the end, managed to revive 2 Lancers to finish off the final target. Edelweiss only had a tiny amount of health left and had to park behind a wall for half the game.

buffi

Banned
Yazuka said:
But isn't this the case with most games that has the Japanese audio? They almost always make the subtitles after the english translation instead of a direct version of the Japanese audio?

Yeah, pretty much.

RpgN

BlazingDarkness said:
gametrailers have finally released a review
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43161.html

story 8.7
design 9.1
gameplay 9
presentation 9.4

overall 9.1

awesome

Excellent score. I didn't see it coming! Need to watch the whole thing :D

Valkyr Junkie said:
Thanks.

I managed to beat Chapter 7 on my first real attempt, but man; talk about nerve-racking. It took me nearly an hour and a half and 13 turns, but I managed to make it through without any casualties (thanks to a few daring rescues and evacs). I'm afraid to ask, but how much more difficult are some of the later missions?

You welcome ;)

I don't think the later missions will be more difficult, but you will see a few small moments compared to chapter 7.

Top Bottom