• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Ferrio said:
Anyone actually get A's on their first playthrough on a mission? Only two missions I've gotton A on, and they were both ones I redid several times.

I dislike that your rating is based on how many turns you complete a mission on, since I naturally think it's based on how much damage your characters so I take thing slow.
I got A's on roughly 2/3 of the missions my first time through. If you are trying to get an A its pretty easy, if unintuitive. You just have to realize that you should only be using 1 or 2 characters per level and ignoring half the enemies.

slayn said:
I got A's on roughly 2/3 of the missions my first time through. If you are trying to get an A its pretty easy, if unintuitive. You just have to realize that you should only be using 1 or 2 characters per level and ignoring half the enemies.

just doesn't feel right to me this way. I'm happy with whatever grade I get as long as I play smart and keep everyone alive.

Playing with the English dubs does give something over the Japanese VO's (unless you can speak the language) and that's the quipes that different units make during their turn.

You've got to especially love Jann (the gay one) and his comments. Very funny stuff and worth playing through again with the English dubs for these alone. Nice work!

FredFish

That Gametrailers review is very well done. Their score is about what I would give the game. Speaking of the game: NG+ is almost comically easy so far (first few chapters). My toons are almost completely immune to enemy gunfire :lol Shame that I lost Aika and Vyse though :/ On the plus side their post ending Personnel tabs seem to hint that they are having adventures which may be chronicled in a future game (please let my wishful thinking come true)

Farnack said:
Gametrailers definitely said something spot on.

Valkyria Chronicles is definitely the lowest profile of the biggest and best games, yet, I feel like it offers a better unique experience than Fallout, Resistance, or Gears.

Well, this thread is getting nearly twice as many posts as the Mirror's Edge thread. I think that says something... at least I hope it says something...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Well, this thread is getting nearly twice as many posts as the Mirror's Edge thread. I think that says something... at least I hope it says something...

Even more so when you consider that Mirror's Edge was on two systems.

If Valkyria Chronicles was on both the PS3 and the 360 it would have had access to a much larger market (you could argue the same thing about Tales of Vesperia).

Also, I would like to point out that thread size is not indicative of sales.

Llyranor

I'm in chapter 8 right now.

This and Vesperia are the two JRPGs this gen I'd classify as top-tier. Some of the others were good too, but they're really not at the same level (haven't played TLR yet).

Strangely enough, I know it plays like a SRPG, but for some reason it doesn't really feel like one. It feels in a different genre altogether from Disgaea 3 (which is also awesome - I'm not sure which game I like more).

anddo0

Just finished chapter 11
why Isara, why?
:(

I think its safe to say this is one of my top 3 games of the year (LBP, MGS4 being the others).

Farnack

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Half the posts are of near-hentai quality. 8D

Durante

Llyranor said:
This and Vesperia are the two JRPGs this gen I'd classify as top-tier. Some of the others were good too, but they're really not at the same level (haven't played TLR yet).
I'm really looking forward to trying ToV whenever Namco sees fit to sell it to us... if you rank it at the level of Valkyria it should easily be the best HD (non-S)JRPG so far.
Tthough I'd look forward to it even more if it had dual audio :/

Farnack said:
Half the posts are of near-hentai quality. 8D
Only around 12% actually.

Llyranor

Other people seem to be agreeing mostly that it's the best Tales game from Team Symphonia (never played the others to compare). Depends if you like Tales games or not. It's also infinitely more fun if you have a few people to play local co-op with.

I wouldn't object to a PS3 port, actually! I'd trade in my 360 version if it meant dual-audio.

Durante

Llyranor said:
I wouldn't object to a PS3 port, actually! I'd trade in my 360 version if it meant dual-audio.
I'm secretly hoping for that. Dual-audio would make a nice "extra" of the kind usually added to late ports, so it's not entirely impossible (if they decide to release the PS3 version outside Japan at all that is).

Anyway, I really have to finish Valkyria at some point, when I feel I'm nearing the end of games I love my progress always slows to a crawl :lol

Durante said:
Anyway, I really have to finish Valkyria at some point, when I feel I'm nearing the end of games I love my progress always slows to a crawl :lol

Haha, me too. I'm on chp.18, but I can't bring myself to finish just yet. Although I will definitely be replaying the NG+, there's something about that first time, the innocence, the unknown possibilities, that replays can never recapture.

Farnack

Banned
Durante said:
I'm secretly hoping for that. Dual-audio would make a nice "extra" of the kind usually added to late ports, so it's not entirely impossible (if they decide to release the PS3 version outside Japan at all that is).

There should be rule for official thread creator to finish the game before everyone else. 8D

Hey I have a question.

After LBP and R2 my wallet has been empty but slowly recovering. Planning on getting another game next week but I am stuck on which one to get.

Dead Space
Mirror's Edge
Valkyria Chronicles

So far I am leaning toward VC (though I plan to get them all eventually), great reviews and player impressions and I actually liked the demo (didn't expect to since strategy games tend to annoy me).

One of the reasons I want it first is that it seems somewhat lengthy (Mirror's Edge and Dead Space are short) so about how many hours does it take to beat?

Any other comments welcome, also if you think I should get one of the other two first let me know!

Llyranor said:
As much as I love Mirror's Edge, get VC is you have ANY interest in the SRPG/JRPG genre.

All 3 games have demos anyway, IIRC.

Ya I tried them all. Dead Space was fun (and pretty) as is Mirrors Edge but VC looks to last me a bit longer. Recently most JRPGs have looked boring to me. Same old battle system especially. So when i played the VC demo I was surprised, it is a JRPG and a SRPG and I actually liked it.

I think I will likely get it first, followed my Mirrors Edge in a few weeks. Dead Space looks great too but something has to wait!

Xisiqomelir

Just had a "duh" moment when I realized why I love the VA so much, the seiyuu are in basically all sorts of anime I like (Maximillian = Lelouch, Zaka = Hijikata from Gintama, Largo = Goldymarg, Rosie = Parfet from Vandread, Alicia = Chiri from Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei etc etc etc). I'm so slow :lol

eznark

Banned
Has anyone seen any black friday deals for this game? I ask because it was one of the games I foolishly told my fiance she could get me, which means I have to wait til Christmas for it. But....if I could find it a bit cheaper I would be unable to pass up such a deal.

FredFish

MvmntInGrn said:
...One of the reasons I want it first is that it seems somewhat lengthy (Mirror's Edge and Dead Space are short) so about how many hours does it take to beat?

Any other comments welcome, also if you think I should get one of the other two first let me know!

I clocked a little over 50 hours on my first playthrough tho that's a little misleading because I would sit in headquarters and flip over to watching football. There's about 40 hours of gaming if you do all the side stuff, more if you grind skirmishes. If you liked the demo I have no qualms about recommending VC over the others as good as they are

Umm...WOW. The game is awesome (so far). I'm only up to Chapter 4 (died my first time through, so I'm on a break), but I'm definitely hooked. At least until it gets really, really difficult and I get frustrated and give up. I'm not that great at strategy games but they're so damn fun.

mAcOdIn

Oh fuck it, cast the whole SZS class as a military unit. That'd be one twisted war game.

But no, Selvaria is not Chiri. Selvaria's too
whipped, Chiri would have owned Maximillion's ass for proposing that.

rykomatsu

Xisiqomelir said:
Just had a "duh" moment when I realized why I love the VA so much, the seiyuu are in basically all sorts of anime I like (Maximillian = Lelouch, Zaka = Hijikata from Gintama, Largo = Goldymarg, Rosie = Parfet from Vandread, Alicia = Chiri from Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei etc etc etc). I'm so slow :lol

Selvaria is Alicia Florence from ARIA :p

vcfigures.jpg

I got this set of figures the other day, cost me $32 with shipping on ebay. They're kinda... shitty. Rosie's head doesn't even sit on her neck properly, she's like a bobble head doll. Eleanor's glasses don't sit on her head right, I feel like they'd fall off with the slightest move.

vcfigs2.jpg

These are due out in february, but it looks like they're made by the same company, Yujin. Even the Rosie figure looks exactly the same, but a different paint job. I would like the Selvaria figure though. Odd how Welkin and Largo aren't involved in these sets at all

Yazuka

Gryphter said:
Odd how Welkin and Largo aren't involved in these sets at all
Its not odd. There is a perfect explanation for that. They are not girls.
To my knowledge at least Yujin only makes female figurines.

Gryphter said:

Yujin is pretty much one of the only companies that make trading figures. Though they have been getting better at it, it's still far from 1:8 scale figures.

I've since stopped collecting trading figures because of their incredibly small size and overall lack of "craftsmanship".

C'mon, Red Entertainment! Pull some strings!!

Lain

Got back to playing this game yesterday after spending alot of time on WoW and wotlk.
Managed to get to Chapter 10 (or was it 11? can't remember now...), basically after the royal rescue. I was wondering, since up until that chapter I managed to find those named enemies that gave me special weapons, was there one in the rescue chapter that I missed?

TheExodu5

Banned
What did Gamespot give Valkyria? Can't see the site at work.

Anyways, the game is now doomed in Canada...after the second shipment (thankfully, the small first shipment seemed to have sold out everywhere), it's now retailing for $70.

Durante

TheExodu5 said:
85/100
# Exceptionally beautiful visual design
# Unique combination of turn-based strategy and third-person movement
# Wonderful, subtle soundtrack
# Eliminates multiple genre-specific frustrations.

TheExodu5 said:
Anyways, the game is now doomed in Canada...after the second shipment (thankfully, the small first shipment seemed to have sold out everywhere), it's now retailing for $70.
Well, that the first shipment sold out is nice -- the new price is just a "uh wait what?" thing though.

Xisiqomelir said:
You are a man of great refinement and taste!

Baha

TheExodu5 said:

It's still $60 at Bestbuy despite them being out of stock. It's $70 at Futureshop though and they're sold out too..

Top Bottom