• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Y2Kev said:
This thread is like half gameplay discussion half through-the-looking-glass otaku convention. :D

Considering that I have over 900 volumes of manga, watch lots of anime, and I am a manager in the largest Anime Convention in the USA, it should not surprise you that my "otaku" side will pop up every now and then. Especially for a game like this that has very heavy influence from Anime and Manga.

rykomatsu said:
not sure about the US version but she's definitely a tsundere in the JPN version. Spoiled bitch tsundere, if anything. Try rescuing Rosie with Edy and her comment changes...i think there's 2 other characters this happens with, when you rescue with Edy.

Ouch, I don't use Edy as much as Rosie, Wendy, and Jane, but even I admit that is a little harsh.

rykomatsu

Defuser said:
She's not a Tsundere.

Edy has good potentials which outweights her bad potentials. Her panicky rarely kick in when I'm using her.

not sure about the US version but she's definitely a tsundere in the JPN version. Spoiled bitch tsundere, if anything. Try rescuing Rosie with Edy and her comment changes...i think there's 2 other characters this happens with, when you rescue with Edy.

Defuser

Y2Kev said:
This thread is like half gameplay discussion half through-the-looking-glass otaku convention. :D
When you have a anime looking game plus tons of good looking females with different profiles,it's hard to avoid it.

rykomatsu said:
I was referring to the JP version because I always get the impression that Tsundere means cold,spiteful and sometimes violent to you but warms up gradually and become loving to you. Doesn't seem to happen with Edy to Rosie even after the war.

zoku88

What does she say when she rescues Rosie?

I mean, she's nice most of the time, which would make her non-tsundere, wouldn't it?

Shouta

Jane is one of the best shock-troopers IMO. Awesome skills all around and her SP potential, makes her insanely deadly when it kicks in or when you use Awaken All.

zoku88

Shouta said:
Jane is one of the best shock-troopers IMO. Awesome skills all around and her SP potential, makes her insanely deadly when it kicks in or when you use Awaken All.
I've only used her once or twice.... >.>

Mostly, it was just Rosie, Edy, and Vyse ^^

rykomatsu

zoku88 said:
What does she say when she rescues Rosie?

I mean, she's nice most of the time, which would make her non-tsundere, wouldn't it?

I forget the exact quote...i mean the proc is hates rosie...and she basically tells rosie that she's not allowed to die or something along those lines, whereas she just calls for a medic when other troops are down.

also, she has a tendency to say the opposite of whatever she's thinking. in all honesty, though, the spoiled bitch personality is a bigger part of her than the tsundere part.

zoku88

rykomatsu said:
I forget the exact quote...i mean the proc is hates rosie...and she basically tells rosie that she's not allowed to die or something along those lines, whereas she just calls for a medic when other troops are down.

also, she has a tendency to say the opposite of whatever she's thinking. in all honesty, though, the spoiled bitch personality is a bigger part of her than the tsundere part.
Wow, you noticed a lot. The only thing I noticed was that her speech was really really feminine...

Yea, that Rosie thing is kinda tsundere-ish, huh? :lol

Defuser

zoku88 said:
I've only used her once or twice.... >.>

Mostly, it was just Rosie, Edy, and Vyse ^^
I'm doing exactly the same thing. Mostly use Vyse, Edy and Rosie with using of Jane for Chapter 17 and 18 b.

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
COuch, I don't use Edy as much as Rosie, Wendy, and Jane, but even I admit that is a little harsh.

lol i'm not quite sure what phrase fits the word "ojyousama" who's not from a rich family...so went with the closest thing I could think of. note that I used edy in every mission possible :p

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
lol i'm not quite sure what phrase fits the word "ojyousama" who's not from a rich family...so went with the closest thing I could think of. note that I used edy in every mission possible :p

The rich girl stereotype is filled easily with Susie.

She has all the hallmarks of the anime rich girl, curled hair, large ribbon in hair, naive personality.

f8e0edcf.png

1218689411786.gif

ani-mirika-sparkles.gif

ampere

Wow, just wow. I just recently played the demo and I am so sold on this game.
I just can't believe it has 'Sega' on the front :lol
I wish that wasn't funny :(

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
The rich girl stereotype is filled easily with Susie.

She has all the hallmarks of the anime rich girl, curled hair, large ribbon in hair, naive personality.

When I said ojyousama, I was thinking more along the lines of Ayanokoji Karen from Akane-iro...specifically the snobiness and how she speaks, though Susie falls into the ojyousama category, other side of the personality spectrum, though.

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
When I said ojyousama, I was thinking more along the lines of Ayanokoji Karen from Akane-iro...specifically the snobiness and how she speaks, though Susie falls into the ojyousama category, other side of the personality spectrum, though.

That's true, I tend to forget that Rich girls tend to be in two categories when it comes to anime.

Sweet and Naive -------------------------------------------------------------------- Super Bitch

Just like real life, the rich girls in anime tend to be more of the right side than the left.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Shouta said:

The best Shocktrooper is totally Lynn. Hard Worker is an incredibly useful potential, and I don't think anybody else in the game gets it. And the best part is that it's one of her natural abilities, and not one that you need to level like crazy to get. Jane's probably second. I always used her if I wanted a third Shocktrooper after deploying Rosie and Lynn.

On another note, about some of the later equipment:
is there any real use for the weapon branches that inflict status effects? Their attack power and range are usually crap, and inflicting a status effect isn't nearly as useful as inflicting death.

Farnack

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
That's true, I tend to forget that Rich girls tend to be in two categories when it comes to anime.

Sweet and Naive -------------------------------------------------------------------- Super Bitch

Just like real life, the rich girls in anime tend to be more of the right side than the left.
Tsundere ------------------------------------------------------- Yandere

Hcoregamer00

Farnack said:
Tsundere ------------------------------------------------------- Yandere

Okay, now I am getting confused with these descriptions.

Let's use Toradora as an example.

Where would Ami and Taiga be placed on this scale?

toradorawallpaper-16.jpg

Defuser

Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay, now I am getting confused with these descriptions.

Let's use Toradora as an example.

Where would Ami and Taiga be placed on this scale?
Taiga is on the tsundere scale while ami is not on either scale.

akenatone

i just did chapter 7 earlier tonight. that thing was epic, took a couple of hours of retrying until i figured it out. i haven't had this much fun with a srpg since the first disgaea.
i am not even done with this and i want a sequel just for the gameplay. like a whole different setting but with refined game rules some more. the class leveling is genius.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
All this -dere hairsplitting is absurd when the real token tsundere of Valkyria Chronicles is obviously Largo.

First he's all "I don't like you, boss-man, and I ain't listenin' to you."

Then he's all "Okay, yeah, that whole driving the tank through the river thing was pretty decent, but I've seen better plans."

Before long he goes all "Yeah, I guess it was pretty cool of you to help out with that vegetable blockade, but it's not like you really went out of your way or nothing."

Then he gets all "You know, blowing up that giant tank was kinda righteous. Maybe you're not such a bad sort after all."

Then finally he's like "BFF, Welkin. BFF."

Huge tsundere.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
What are you guys talking about? I come in here to say some good and bad stuff about the game, and all I get is talk about anime/manga?

Shouta

ItsInMyVeins said:
What are you guys talking about? I come in here to say some good and bad stuff about the game, and all I get is talk about anime/manga?

The game IS an anime, just more well done.

Shouta

ItsInMyVeins said:
Dude, don't hate on the game. I guess it kinda is, though :/

Err, who's hating?

But seriously, it's an anime that you can play and it's planned well. Although, there's gonna be an actual anime of it too. :lol

itsinmyveins

Shouta said:
Err, who's hating?

But seriously, it's an anime that you can play and it's planned well. Although, there's gonna be an actual anime of it too. :lol

I guess I'm the one hating then, because I find a lot of the characters and story to be very, very silly :)

But I am liking the game so far, even though there's a bit too much story in between the battles.

And what's the deal with not being able to take cover behind more stuff? I'd like options to lean out from walls and boxes, just like you can crouch behind sandbags. Why only sandbags?

Hcoregamer00

ixix said:
All this -dere hairsplitting is absurd when the real token tsundere of Valkyria Chronicles is obviously Largo.

First he's all "I don't like you, boss-man, and I ain't listenin' to you."

Then he's all "Okay, yeah, that whole driving the tank through the river thing was pretty decent, but I've seen better plans."

Before long he goes all "Yeah, I guess it was pretty cool of you to help out with that vegetable blockade, but it's not like you really went out of your way or nothing."

Then he gets all "You know, blowing up that giant tank was kinda righteous. Maybe you're not such a bad sort after all."

Then finally he's like "BFF, Welkin. BFF."

Huge tsundere.

<3

best -dere related post

/thread

ItsInMyVeins said:
I guess I'm the one hating then, because I find a lot of the characters and story to be very, very silly :)

But I am liking the game so far, even though there's a bit too much story in between the battles.

And what's the deal with not being able to take cover behind more stuff? I'd like options to lean out from walls and boxes, just like you can crouch behind sandbags. Why only sandbags?

I agree that there are lots of elements in the story that are quite absurd

Chapter 15 spoilers
Like what the fuck at Selvaria. Here you had a Valkyria that was still useful, but Maximillan wanted her to throw away her life? Not only that, she things that doing so is a great idea. Good job Sega, you make Selvaria as interesting as a cardboard box because she doesn't have any misgivings about dying

Shouta said:
Err, who's hating?

I agree, as an anime fan it is quite a compliment from me when I say that to me this game feels like a well planned anime.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Seen this for £20 in Gamestation bran new today, so I picked it up as it seemed like a great bargain, but I also only seen one copy of it.

Yet they also had Fable 2 for £20 but had shelves full of them.

Xisiqomelir

Shouta said:

<3

I love Jane (which is weird because normally more than one earring/ear is a complete turnoff for me).

Durante

Shouta said:
I fully agree, and in addition to that gameplay prowess her backstory is hilarious. She should be more popular.

ItsInMyVeins said:
It's not just sandbags but also trenches. (And crouching in grass.) However, I agree that there are some places on some maps where it would make sense to be able to take cover but it isn't implemented.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys should work on a GAF guide. Then you can put it on the internets and become famoos.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Did anyone else notice that Welkin rips a massive fart when he issues orders?

"Okay listen up!"

BRRRRRAAP!!

Requesting mortar support!

Gets me every time. :lol

btrboyev

picked this game up this weekend and am loving it!

god I miss sega, this is the kind of quality game sega came out with consistently years ago.

Y2Kev

Okay, I managed to do Ch. 4 easily by stationing two shock troopers (ROSIE!!!) right in the enemy hotzone and they took them all down on counterattacks, but how in the world do you do this mission in 2 turns? The Edelweiss was pretty helpful here in needling down tanks, but I had to put it right out in the line of fire a few times. I got to the enemy base and saw a lancer and went oh shit...

My lancer sucks major ass. He needs an accuracy boost. Largo. More like Suckass.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
ItsInMyVeins said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay bozos, you convinced me. I started playing this game yesterday at around ten o'clock. I've not stopped since then and I'm in chapter thirteen already.

This is soooo good.

Y2Kev

Sega's just been a little under the weather.... Yakuza, VF, VT, Valkyria...Sega's on the path to recovery. :D

Y2Kev

YOU MADE ME HOLD POO?
:lol :lol :lol :lol

This game is so ridiculously cute. The little piglet is awesome. He reminds me of my dog, a pug.

itsinmyveins

FredFish said:
Embrace the silly! <3 Cherry!

I don't have anything against silly stuff in general, it's just that this particular silly story is one that's been told sooo many times. I mean, like every character is cliché, along with the story. And there's a lot of story/dialouge. The thing saving in this game in that regard is the whole presentation, which is great.

I'm at chapter 7 now, I think. Or maybe it's 6. Either way, it's pretty fun but I'd like some more of these smaller side missions, like the one you get to do with Largo.

Y2Kev said:
This game is so ridiculously cute. The little piglet is awesome.
You know, Hans or whatever he's called made me roll my eyes pretty hard at first, but then I remembered that Norwegian army penguin, after that I realized that the world in Valkyria is slightly less insane than Norway.

FredFish

ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't have anything against silly stuff in general, it's just that this particular silly story is one that's been told sooo many times. I mean, like every character is cliché, along with the story. And there's a lot of story/dialouge. The thing saving in this game in that regard is the whole presentation, which is great.

I'm at chapter 7 now, I think. Or maybe it's 6. Either way, it's pretty fun but I'd like some more of these smaller side missions, like the one you get to do with Largo.

I'll agree with you that the story early on wasn't very compelling. Frankly there was a point where I actively disliked Welkin. Luckily, around chapter 10 or so the story picks up and gets decidely better
Issara's death was the turning point in more ways then one
as it moves forward.

Top Bottom