• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Shouta said:
Man, Sega knows how to hit you where it hurts, people that have played the game know what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest complaint with the game is that there are far too many "capture the base" maps. While nothing is wrong with it per se, it's annoying because I find myself just bumrushing it with a Scout and beating the maps in 2-3 turns. If they varied it up a bit like that 7 or so (or whatever chapter, Lance boobies first shows up), it'd be a lot crazier.

The game has a lot of variety compared to other SRPG's, but I do agree that capture the base maps were far too common in the game. There is so much potential for variety, but it never seems to come to fruition when it comes to the ultimate goal (which is to capture the enemy base).

Heck, have a couple of missions where you annihilate the enemy and have a couple of unique ones like mission 16 and Mission 8 and you are set.

semiconscious said:
i finally succeeded by using a simultaneous north/south rush, using stormtrooper & lancer pairs (& hitting both tanks asap). also, sniper on the roof helpful as always...

So should the priority be hitting the tanks or capturing the southern and western bases?

buffi

Banned
Farnack said:
You definitely have to had grinded out scouts to be able to do that. There's no way you could do some of the maps in one or two turns without scout's fourth potential.

That's probably why he wrote 2-3 turns.

Hcoregamer00 said:
So should the priority be hitting the tanks or capturing the southern and western bases?

pretty sure i took out each tank first, then captured the base (did both pretty much at the same time with the first north base). what was weird was, the more aggressive i was, the more passive the enemy became? - it almost felt like a glitch :) ... btw, kept everyone else behind cover, just ignored jaeger, & didn't use my tanks til the very end...

Hcoregamer00

semiconscious said:
pretty sure i took out each tank first, then captured the base (did both pretty much at the same time with the first north base). what was weird was, the more aggressive i was, the more passive the enemy became? - it almost felt like a glitch :) ... btw, kept everyone else behind cover, just ignored jaeger, & didn't use my tanks til the very end...

Thanks, I will try that out.

The problem was that I tried to capture the bases and got my arse kicked by those elite shocktroopers.

TheExodu5

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
Yup, got mine yesterday at EB (Ottawa) - unfortunately they jacked the price up.

Did you get it at the Billings Bridge one. I noticed 2 copies on Thursday, and only one on Friday. Maybe it was you. :lol

Hcoregamer00 said:
Thanks, I will try that out.

The problem was that I tried to capture the bases and got my arse kicked by those elite shocktroopers.

one-shoting each tank's easy. i did have one big piece of luck, which was jaeger smoke-bombing a western base i'd just captured with a fully exposed unit - he got rushed by 2 stormtroopers, but they couldn't see him, & he wiped them both out on my next turn :) ...

good luck! :) ...

actually, thinking back on that mission (which was one of my favorites):

there were 3 times (at least) when jaeger's smoke bombs were very helpful...

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
semiconscious said:
one-shoting each tank's easy. i did have one big piece of luck, which was jaeger smoke-bombing a western base i'd just captured with a fully exposed unit - he got rushed by 2 stormtroopers, but they couldn't see him, & he wiped them both out on my next turn :) ...

good luck! :) ...

actually, thinking back on that mission (which was one of my favorites):

there were 3 times (at least) when jaeger's smoke bombs were very helpful...

Every time Jaeger laid down smoke in chapter 17 it was to my benefit. He seemed to love dropping smoke rounds on his bases, making it trivially easy to rush them, kill the guards, and capture the base without taking a hit. He also dropped smoke on Ty the Immortal's head in the southern alley, so I had Rosie rush him and flamethrower him to death. Poor guy never even got a shot off thanks to Jaeger's profligate use of smoke screens.

zoku88

Oh, heh, I just beat the mission Hcore is talking about like two hours ago.

Why are the shocktroopers giving you trouble? Use All Defend. I actually took them out before the tanks (I only actually took out one tank, I think.)

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
Oh, heh, I just beat the mission Hcore is talking about like two hours ago.

Why are the shocktroopers giving you trouble? Use All Defend. I actually took them out before the tanks (I only actually took out one tank, I think.)

My problem is that I never ever used orders.

(which is pretty big handicap)

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
My problem is that I never ever used orders.

(which is pretty big handicap)
I didn't either until the mission right before.

I had no idea they were so helpful

Jaeger will start stacking three orders, btw. Kinda annoying.)

Anyway, even without orders

Just use more shocktroopers. Your scouts might be easy pickings for them, but your shocktroopers shouldn't be.

zoku88

TheExodu5 said:
Chapter 7....wtf:

Bartonys took my tank out in 1 shot
Are you sure it didnt hit your radiator?

Anyway, you generally shouldn't put your tank in a position where the big tank can actually fire on it
Durante said:
Yeah, I also only really started using orders around Chapter 12 or so, but used well they can make huge difference.
For me, I didn't start untnil
the mission where you defeat selvaria.

yeah, i didn't start using orders till around mission 12 - they weren't really necessary up til then, but they do come in very handy (when used well)...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Whether you use orders a lot or not probably depends on how many characters you tend to use simultaneously in battle. If you are using up absolutely all of your CP on just 1st or 2nd turns for critical guys you want to move then orders don't seem that enticing.

If, on the other hand, you only use a few and have an abundance of cp, orders start to look really, really good. Even the really expensive ones.

I love using the orders to summon snipers or mortar shots to kill enemy snipers that I can't reach. What's that? two elite snipers up on a wall I'm not supposed to be able to get to? Not anymore! Mortar shot is probably my favorite one. I think it costs 3cp? I think of it as paying 1 cp to extend the range of my tank's gun to be infinite.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
TheExodu5 said:
Chapter 7....wtf:

Have you been keeping up with armor and health upgrades? Fully upgraded, the Edelweiss should be able to survive a single non-radiator shot.

patsu

TheExodu5 said:
Chapter 7....wtf:

Wahahahaha ! SUFFER !

[Wipe saliva away from mouth]

Don't give up. I think you will figure out the dynamics.
Just keep Edelweiss safe. The rest will fall in place.

Shouta

Farnack said:
You definitely have to had grinded out scouts to be able to do that. There's no way you could do some of the maps in one or two turns without scout's fourth potential.

I've been sinking XP into them at the start then grind a little bit afterwards to get everyone else to the same level. I'm on chapter 12 with everyone at 11ish so far.

zoku88

I'm finally on the last battle

I basically lost my first try, but I think I've found out something valuable. Using Rosie against Maximillian is a whole lot more worthwhile than using any of the tanks.

jiggle

what's scout's 4th potential?

the job kinda useless for me so far (
kidnapped princess chapter
).

but wow, the chapter with
Selvaria
was crazy.

zoku88 said:

I basically lost my first try, but I think I've found out something valuable. Using Rosie against Maximillian is a whole lot more worthwhile than using any of the tanks.

exactly what i did :) ...

rykomatsu

zoku88 said:

if i remember correctly, I think I used a 3 or 4 person shocktrooper combo...surrounded max, and fired off...most of them were compatible with each other so total damage should have gone up significantly...wasted max down in 1 turn after all troops were in place to be able to get to their designated locations with 1cp....i think...i don't remember the last battle that well...i recall he had some type of AoE...

zoku88

rykomatsu said:
if i remember correctly, I think I used a 3 or 4 person shocktrooper combo...surrounded max, and fired off...most of them were compatible with each other so total damage should have gone up significantly...wasted max down in 1 turn after all troops were in place to be able to get to their designated locations with 1cp....i think...i don't remember the last battle that well...i recall he had some type of AoE...
Yea

He does, that did a number on my party when he did three ina row (he saved a CP from last turn.)

Vyse kill him the turn after, though. I ended up getting a C, though.

I was really hoping for a Suikoden like thing where they give you the epilogues for every character and not just the really important ones.

Hcoregamer00

Man this Black Friday has been surreal, two of my close friends bought a PS3 along with Valkyria Chronicles.

Strangely enough, the PS3 is now the 2nd most common console among my circle of friends after the Nintendo DS.

jmonteiro

Hcoregamer00 said:
Man this Black Friday has been surreal, two of my close friends bought a PS3 along with Valkyria Chronicles.

Strangely enough, the PS3 is now the 2nd most common console among my circle of friends after the Nintendo DS.

That's the way to sell Valkyria, with a bundled PS3 :D

btw, I'm on chapter 12 right now

EDIT: Removed spoiler tag, looks too many people can't resist to highlight it :lol

Just started it - surpassed all my expectations. The music is amazing!! For any lurkers out there (which probably already avoid this thread), buy. this. game.

Big-E

zoku88 said:

Try the attack up order and send rosie with 2 other shock troopers that like each other. When the third one gets there, all 3 will shoot and fuck him up.

zoku88

Big-E said:
Try the attack up order and send rosie with 2 other shock troopers that like each other. When the third one gets there, all 3 will shoot and fuck him up.
I guess you missed the post where I said that I had beaten te game.

Sorry for te dp, can't copy/paste on a ps3. lol

Hcoregamer00

slaughterking said:
Nah, they need to do a prequel or whatever with the medic as a leading character. She is absolutely the most awesome person in VC. D:<

They already have a game with her in it, it was called Skies of Arcadia :lol

zoku88 said:
Eleanor is't that great >.>

They should go FM style and make a sequel focusing on another part of the world ^^

What are they going to do, a fantasy land Asia?

It would be great, but they wont do something that hits really close to home. Especially because they were the invading evil empire.

Hcoregamer00

slaughterking said:
Heh, I didn't know that. :lol

Here is what she looked like in her other incarnation.

098b2a18.jpg

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
They already have a game with her in it, it was called Skies of Arcadia :lol

What are they going to do, a fantasy land Asia?

It would be great, but they wont do something that hits really close to home. Especially because they were the invading evil empire.
I don't think they necessariy have t sick with the same time period.

That, and there's te Americas left. It's easy to just make up some war.

rykomatsu

re: Jaeger mission

I remember just bum rushing that mission with Edelweiss...got into range of Jaeger, i THINK from behind somehow, pushed Edelweiss up against a building so the radiator couldn't be hit, and started pummelling away at Jaeger's tank...and brought him down to I think 1/2 HP left after getting through his ablative armor...

After the first turn of doing this, I prayed to jesus, allah, buddha, ghanesh, and all the other deities I could think of that I could make it through one enemy turn...somehow managed to get Edelweiss through with catapillar broken and about 1 mortar worth of HP left...then finished mister Jaeger off...was probably more scared of perishing during that mission than in mission 7 when Selvaria came out

Top Bottom