• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

alba

Little is the new Big
Alright, either I'm dumb or I can't find it but anybody knows where i could buy the game online (that is in stock) in the benelux region? :O(

If not I guess i'll be forced to import but I don't want to wait too long, grrr!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Hcoregamer00 said:
Vandal Hearts, Shining Force II, Jeanne D'arc, Final Fantasy Tactics.....that's about it.

My strategy RPG history is pretty damn weak.

Isn't Vandal Hearts kinda short, though?

ayrkain

Hcoregamer00 said:
It is good to know I am not the only one that wants to take my sweet time finishing this jewel.

I've been doing about a chapter every week and a half. Really trying to savor this one. What a gem! :D

RpgN

alba said:
Alright, either I'm dumb or I can't find it but anybody knows where i could buy the game online (that is in stock) in the benelux region? :O(

If not I guess i'll be forced to import but I don't want to wait too long, grrr!

gcshop.nl has it instock for 58 euros including shipment. I also got my copy from retail at freerecordshop, if you don't want to order online. They surely still have it by now, right?

Gagaman

Bloody hell, this game is £20 in gamestation at the moment (I would link you to it on their website but they don't even appear to have it on there).

alba

Little is the new Big
RpgN said:
gcshop.nl has it instock for 58 euros including shipment. I also got my copy from retail at freerecordshop, if you don't want to order online. They surely still have it by now, right?

Damn, no paypal support or shit, grrr! :( I'm gonna go and check out freerecordshop then! :eek:

RpgN

alba said:
Damn, no paypal support or shit, grrr! :( I'm gonna go and check out freerecordshop then! :eek:

Is paypal necessary? You never used just bank transfer before? Also, if the game is sold out at freerecordshop, I'm sure they'll back order it for you. Good luck!

alba

Little is the new Big
RpgN said:
Is paypal necessary? You never used just bank transfer before? Also, if the game is sold out at freerecordshop, I'm sure they'll back order it for you. Good luck!

Doesn't show on the website so If i can, all the better but it's all in dutch and I'm not so good, let's see how it goes :D

RpgN

alba said:
Doesn't show on the website so If i can, all the better but it's all in dutch and I'm not so good, let's see how it goes :D

Wait, where do you live exactly? The bank transfer (and Ideal method) is only applied for Holland/Netherlands. If you're in Belgium, I think only credit cards are applied. If you need help with Ducth texts on the site, don't hesitate to ask.

alba

Little is the new Big
RpgN said:
Wait, where do you live exactly? The bank transfer (and Ideal method) is only applied for Holland/Netherlands. If you're in Belgium, I think only credit cards are applied. If you need help with Ducth texts on the site, don't hesitate to ask.

Yep, just saw and since I don't have a creditcard, pretty much screwed so either I have to wait or import (and wait) :/

It's like everywhere here retailers are out of stock, stupid me should've got it when it came out but I totally forgot about it :(

Egg Shen

alba said:
Yep, just saw and since I don't have a creditcard, pretty much screwed so either I have to wait or import (and wait) :/

It's like everywhere here retailers are out of stock, stupid me should've got it when it came out but I totally forgot about it :(
Paypal can generate a temporary credit card number for you. You don't have to actually have a card for it to do this with since the charged cost can be paid from your account. Useful for sites that don't do Paypal.

Paypal will want to install its own toolbar for this to work, but if you don't want it, you can try to trick it and say you are on a Mac (unless you really are on a Mac, then in that case, yeah...). It will then route you to the web based interface for the card generator instead.

Now go sign up and defend Gallia's honor with your last breath.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Isn't Vandal Hearts kinda short, though?
It's been years since I played it, but I think it took me about twenty or thirty hours to play through the main campaign. In comparison, it took me between thirty five to forty hours to get through my first playthrough with Valkyria.

alba

Little is the new Big
Egg Shen said:
Paypal can generate a temporary credit card number for you. You don't have to actually have a card for it to do this with since the charged cost can be paid from your account. Useful for sites that don't do Paypal.

Paypal will want to install its own toolbar for this to work, but if you don't want it, you can try to trick it and say you are on a Mac (unless you really are on a Mac, then in that case, yeah...). It will then route you to the web based interface for the card generator instead.

Really? awesome :eek:

How come i never heard of that shit :p

Hcoregamer00 said:
I borrowed my friend's copy of the DS Front Mission and didn't like it.

Maybe I would have enjoyed it more when it was new and fresh.

Front Mission 1 and Fire Emblem 1 were the two games that got me started playing turn based strategy games. FFT (PS1) sealed the deal, and Front Mission 3 was the best of the FM series.

But I haven't played any of the new-fangled complicated ones from Nippon Ichi, even though I pretty much own all versions of Disgaea 1. :\

Front Mission 1 definitely didn't age well. Back then it was stellar.

masterkajo

I have finally decided to not be a part of the problem anymore and are now looking for a place to buy this game online. As a student however I don't have that much money. If gamestation would have it on their website I would totally buy it for that price. Any other good deals?

I still haven't broken the seal on my copy yet, as I'm still trying to finish Mirror's Edge. But at least I'm not part of the problem now either...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Okays I think its time for me ta go full cheat-mode (faq time)! >_> I knew going in I'd need to use faqs eventually but I keep getting stumped and killed and really the games obviously not getting easier!

rykomatsu

masterkajo said:
I have finally decided to not be a part of the problem anymore and are now looking for a place to buy this game online. As a student however I don't have that much money. If gamestation would have it on their website I would totally buy it for that price. Any other good deals?

i would keep scouring fatwallet.com / slickdeals.net for general game deals...

patsu

Lindsay said:
Okays I think its time for me ta go full cheat-mode (faq time)! >_> I knew going in I'd need to use faqs eventually but I keep getting stumped and killed and really the games obviously not getting easier!

Where are you in the game now ? (Should be somewhere ahead of me).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
patsu said:
Where are you in the game now ? (Should be somewhere ahead of me).

Chapter 11 now. Started that mission off doing pretty okay then quickly got slaughtered somehow. I was loosely using guides for troop deployment as far back as the first desert battle though. I always suck at strategy games and predicting enemy movements but with VC there is the whole new problem (for me) of figuring out the ever increasingly more complicated lay of the land!

btw anyone know how to make my units
elites?
I assume by leveling them up but all of mine are at Level 9 now and I'm outta exp. Gonna have to grind skirmishes I guess but the question is how much?

Lindsay said:
elites?
I assume by leveling them up but all of mine are at Level 9 now and I'm outta exp. Gonna have to grind skirmishes I guess but the question is how much?
They
upgrade to elite when they hit lvl 11

Btw, what benefits are there to lvling up classes besides unlocking new potentials
and the extra weapon for some elite classes
?
I havent exactly kept a close eye on them, but stats have not seemed to improve. And accuracy seems to only depend on the weapon you use.

Evlar

Banned
Just bought this yesterday. I really like what I see so far. What strikes me is that this is essentially a re-imagining of World War 2, and how radically different the construction of the world and the emphasis of the story is from a Western WW2 game (something like Resistance, another re-imagining of WW2). You've got the normal Japanese silliness of 22 year old college students and teenage girls leading armies into battle, OK. You've also got much more interest in the civilians- even pregnant women and children- creatures which barely exist in most Western WW2 games. AND, in defiance of the recent thread on the topic, you've got allusion to warcrime atrocities and the Holocaust. It's wrapped neatly in a shiny anime bow, not gritty, short on realistically shelled-out buildings... both further removed from the real war and strangely closer.

Evlar said:
Just bought this yesterday. I really like what I see so far. What strikes me is that this is essentially a re-imagining of World War 2, and how radically different the construction of the world and the emphasis of the story is from a Western WW2 game (something like Resistance, another re-imagining of WW2). You've got the normal Japanese silliness of 22 year old college students and teenage girls leading armies into battle, OK. You've also got much more interest in the civilians- even pregnant women and children- creatures which barely exist in most Western WW2 games. AND, in defiance of the recent thread on the topic, you've got allusion to warcrime atrocities and the Holocaust. It's wrapped neatly in a shiny anime bow, not gritty, short on realistically shelled-out buildings... both further removed from the real war and strangely closer.

yeah, when i first started playing, i was almost immediately struck by how much more violent violence feels in a miyazakiish world like vc's than it would in a more 'realistic' one...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Evlar said:

At least Valkyria has a larger cast of older characters.

Japanese gaming tends to forget that people are older than 23 years.

androvsky

Hcoregamer00 said:
At least Valkyria has a larger cast of older characters.

Anime too... I've heard that real life is getting a bit better in Japan in that regard; 27 year old and older women still aren't getting married, but now it's because they don't want to, not because no one will take a woman that old.

You've got the normal Japanese silliness of 22 year old college students and teenage girls leading armies into battle, OK.

The characters in this game do skew a bit older than normal for a Japanese game, but in reality, wouldn't a squad leader that's 22 be completely normal in a war? Are you sure you're not thinking of the normal Japanese silliness of 14-year olds being the only ones capable of piloting giant robots? :)

In fact, Israel even has universal conscription for men and women, although there are a few jobs they can't have. In Switzerland, service is voluntary for women, but according to wikipedia there's no restriction on what jobs they can take, and they have all the same rights and duties.

patsu

Lindsay said:
Chapter 11 now. Started that mission off doing pretty okay then quickly got slaughtered somehow. I was loosely using guides for troop deployment as far back as the first desert battle though. I always suck at strategy games and predicting enemy movements but with VC there is the whole new problem (for me) of figuring out the ever increasingly more complicated lay of the land!

elites?

Yeah, I just finished that battle last night, so I feel your pain.

Without grinding and elite soldiers, I relied on:

* Group work -- Characters who like each other will provide auxiliary firepower whenever one of them starts shooting. This is devastating to the enemy.

I think one of the computer soldiers are pretty high level (good at dodging -- even if multiple people shoot at him at the same time). I positioned my guys in different spots to flank him. It helps (I think).

* Orders

* Potentials

One of my shocktroopers (Alex) seems pretty good at Ambush. I need to try him more. He was able to take out the toughest enemy soldier even when Rosie had problem.

jiggle

Just got done with chapter 13. I'm kinda pissed that the opening movie gave away SPOILER ALERT
that Alicia is a Valkyrur
. Would've been nice going in without knowing.

Lindsay said:
elites?

Grind in skirmish 4. You get 26000 xp every 3 minutes.

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:

not really...it's just that it's usually the old guy (think father figure) who goes out on a quest, then gets into some deep shit...THEN the prepubescent teen needs to go rescue his ass...

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
not really...it's just that it's usually the old guy (think father figure) who goes out on a quest, then gets into some deep shit...THEN the prepubescent teen needs to go rescue his ass...

You know what story needs to be told more often.

A teenager does stupid shit and then his older sister/mother/father have to go and clean up his damn mess. It is more like reality, and it doesn't seem to told that often in games.

:lol

mAcOdIn

androvsky said:
The characters in this game do skew a bit older than normal for a Japanese game, but in reality, wouldn't a squad leader that's 22 be completely normal in a war? Are you sure you're not thinking of the normal Japanese silliness of 14-year olds being the only ones capable of piloting giant robots? :)

In fact, Israel even has universal conscription for men and women, although there are a few jobs they can't have. In Switzerland, service is voluntary for women, but according to wikipedia there's no restriction on what jobs they can take, and they have all the same rights and duties.
Well I think the fact that the main cast are militia and not regular army also helps the believability of that scenario.

But the militia ranks are a bit odd. Squad 7 has a shit ton of members for a squad IMO. In reality with the amount that you can have active in your "squad" I'd lean towards calling it a platoon instead. A 22 year old squad leader is not only unheard of it's downright common in the military, a 22 year old Platoon Leader is doable but a little more rare.

But anyways, way I'd see it is that age probably wouldn't matter for a militia as you're all inexperienced. That's just how it is, so you can choose someone on merit as opposed to age because someone who's been a baker for 40 years isn't going to be any better because of their age at leading people in a war than someone who's 22 and was studying nature in college.

Hcoregamer00

mAcOdIn said:
Well I think the fact that the main cast are militia and not regular army also helps the believability of that scenario.

That's the thing, they are in the militia, but we forget that Welkin got his position because of his bravery in Bruhl.

Of course, I still find that somewhat strange because not only did Alicia have military experience (as the head of the town watch), but she was the one who did the braver act in Bruhl, yet she was not the main commander of Squad 7. THAT is what I find somewhat unbelievable. If Welkin was granted his position for his bravery, then Alicia should have been his superior since she stayed and protected the gate while Welkin ran to the tank.

If anything, Alicia should have been the leader instead of being second-in-command.

mAcOdIn

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's the thing, they are in the militia, but we forget that Welkin got his position because of his bravery in Bruhl.

Of course, I still find that somewhat strange because not only did Alicia have military experience (as the head of the town watch), but she was the one who did the braver act in Bruhl, yet she was not the main commander of Squad 7. THAT is find I find somewhat unbelievable.

If anything, Alicia should have been the leader instead of being second-in-command.
Considering that all the leaders had tanks I think the fact that Welkin did Tank Commanding for his militia training before the war AND his father was who he was is what gave him his position. I mean here, tank commander is commander of well a tank, but it seems like in VC that the tank commander is the leader of a unit in their universe.

edit:
I'm amazed that after Alicia awakened that the military proper didn't claim her.

Hcoregamer00

mAcOdIn said:
Considering that all the leaders had tanks I think the fact that Welkin did Tank Commanding for his militia training before the war AND his father was who he was is what gave him his position. I mean here, tank commander is commander of well a tank, but it seems like in VC that the tank commander is the leader of a unit in their universe.

edit:
I'm amazed that after Alicia awakened that the military proper didn't claim her.

Frankly
I was shocked that they didn't make her commander of squad 7 like Selvaria so she could run wild and destroy everything

androvsky

Hcoregamer00 said:

Of course, I still find that somewhat strange because not only did Alicia have military experience (as the head of the town watch), but she was the one who did the braver act in Bruhl, yet she was not the main commander of Squad 7. THAT is what I find somewhat unbelievable. If Welkin was granted his position for his bravery, then Alicia should have been his superior since she stayed and protected the gate while Welkin ran to the tank.

Didn't Welkin graduate from college? Often that's all you need to be an officer; Alicia (and Largo especially) would fall under the "experienced enlisted person that the newbie lieutenant needs to listen to" category.

Hcoregamer00

U K Narayan said:
Just got to Chapter 15.

46 hours clocked in.

I feel pretty bad for
Selvaria. She was used to the extreme.

Ahem, some of my spoiler filled thoughts
What pissed me off was not that she was used, it was that the developers could have used this betrayal to really make Selvaria a great character. What Maximillian did was essentially betray her, so she could have done something better than just fall and die.

What I found fascinating was the dynamic that Sega used. Alicia and Selvaria are the two perfect opposing characters. Here we have Selvaria, a Valkyria who fell in love with a man who didn't want her, so her only option was to die. Then we have Alicia, a Valkyria who fell in love with a man who wanted her more than anything in the world, so her only option was to live. Just like many things, Selvaria could have been in Alicia's situation, and Alicia could have been in Selvaria's situation.

Hcoregamer00 said:
What pissed me off was not that she was used, it was that the developers could have used this betrayal to really make Selvaria a great character. What Maximillian did was essentially betray her, so she could have done something better than just fall and die.
I agree.

What I found fascinating was the dynamic that Sega used. Alicia and Selvaria are the two perfect opposing characters. Here we have Selvaria, a Valkyria who fell in love with a man who didn't want her, so her only option was to die. Then we have Alicia, a Valkyria who fell in love with a man who wanted her more than anything in the world, so her only option was to live. Just like many things, Selvaria could have been in Alicia's situation, and Alicia could have been in Selvaria's situation.
Indeed.

Egg Shen

Hcoregamer00 said:

I agree with that to some extent, but I also think that there were better reasons behind their decisions to elevate their choices above being the only options available.

I don't think her death was as cheap as it appeared, though. Maximilian's callous disregard for her usefulness was villainous, but I don't think that she died because of "oh noes, he doesn't feel like I do" and was cornered into self-sacrifice. We might see it as a betrayal, but I'd say that Selvaria didn't, making her death all the more poignant.

She embraced her role and expressed her love in the only way that she could, along with her honor when asking how long ago Squad 7 had left with their prisoners before performing her final duty. It wasn't the only option because she felt betrayed, more like she never let go of how she felt and that she saw this as the best way to fulfill her place by his side as a Valkyrur.

Remember the conversation between her and Alicia when she asked if she had anything worth fighting for as a Valkyrur, when Alicia asked how she could live with the fact knowing what she was. Selvaria gave everything to Maximilian and despite using her as a tool for war (come on, don't tell me that wasn't predictable), her feelings for him were always genuine, dying for someone who clearly did not deserve her devotion.

Alicia felt that the only thing worth fighting for was Gallia, and to that end, nearly killed herself in following that belief as Selvaria did for Maximilian and the Empire, until Welkin showed her that there was as much to live and fight for outside of war. Alicia realized that there was. But it's also interesting to note that Selvaria's single-minded devotion did not preclude her from ensuring that her captured troops were well taken care of before cutting the final tie.

masterkajo

After looking for 2 days on the internet for sweet deals for this game I found that at amazon.co.uk they changed the price to £29,95 today. It is not sold by amazon.co.uk but a reliable seller (according to the feedback) and including shipping (Europe) I paid £32,70. Should be here in about a week... so please...

Problem List:
masterkajo

:D

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
You know what story needs to be told more often.

A teenager does stupid shit and then his older sister/mother/father have to go and clean up his damn mess. It is more like reality, and it doesn't seem to told that often in games.

:lol

I forget, is Estelle Bright older than Joshua Bright in Legend of Heroes VI?

S. L.

ugh, so i am (i think) at the last mission and i am getting my annihilated hardcore.
fighting against maximilian with those towers.
is there any trick to that mission or should i level up my soldiers? they are around level 11-12

Big-E

S. L. said:
ugh, so i am (i think) at the last mission and i am getting my annihilated hardcore.
fighting against maximilian with those towers.
is there any trick to that mission or should i level up my soldiers? they are around level 11-12

You might be a little low but what you got to do is to take the towers out with lancers or snipers and then put some attack up orders on your guys and then go after him with 3 shock troopers that like each other.
He will be doing stuff like moving away when you drop him to around 50 percent health but you need to drop him to below that in one go if you want to end it quickly, which is where the shock troopers come in.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i have a feeling that this game is going to end up being expensive to get as time goes on.

Value is being retained everywhere and second hand sellers are at pretty much RRP.

In the Play-asia basket it has went - quite why i sold the JPN version is beyond me (well, not really...) but even that is pretty much the only game on PS3 JPN that has maintained it's value (still going for 4800-5500 second hand, 9000 or so for the limited)

Congratulations Sega :)

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Never played it, so I wouldn't know.

Is it a good game?

The story is decent, but the character designs are where the game really shines. It's very evident that the guys over at Falcom put a lot of effort into creating their personalities and what not. The gameplay itself is pretty orthodox, but still really fun. No real change in the battle system between First Chapter and Second Chapter, except SC has the ability to chain arts with your party.

The battle music is pretty damn sweet too :)

rykomatsu

DCharlie said:
but even that is pretty much the only game on PS3 JPN that has maintained it's value (still going for 4800-5500 second hand, 9000 or so for the limited)

Ironically, the game GAF and the west considers to be shitty, Agarest Senki, has maintained a pretty damn high value since release last October too....not unusual to still find it around at the 5500~6000yen mark, though most have appeared to have settled around the same range as VC.

edit: crap didn't mean to doublepost :/

Top Bottom