• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
FredFish said:
Frankly there was a point where I actively disliked Welkin.

How can you not like Welkin? He plays the oblivious nature boy, head in the clouds schtick to the hilt, then routs some of the Empire's best generals and fanciest war machines like they weren't nothin'. Dude acts the fool, but the gears upstairs just don't stop turnin'. The wise tiger hides his claws, and all that.

RpgN

Volcynika said:
I'm behind her!

Wait. That sounds worse than it should have.

I use English voices too!

Please don't kill me.

Oh, I get it :lol

I didn't see it that way actually.

But yay to more English listeners!

Ps I've kind of stopped playing with the game after 15. I'm burned out and there are only 3 chapters left. I want to enjoy the last ones and be fully prepared. Now I understand you, Hcoregamer00.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wait, you can change the voices to Japanese? O=

I'm going to replay it once I finish it, but with the Japanese on. That said, the English voice acting is incredibly good.

Volcynika

Regulus Tera said:
Wait, you can change the voices to Japanese? O=

I'm going to replay it once I finish it, but with the Japanese on. That said, the English voice acting is incredibly good.

Did you miss all the purists sing to the heavens when that feature was announced to be available in this game? :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Volcynika said:
Did you miss all the purists sing to the heavens when that feature was announced to be available in this game? :p

I just started playing last night. I wasn't even following this game at all. I just picked it up because one of my buddies finished it and I was feeling like stealing his PS3 for a while.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I can't stand using japanese VA nowdays. I mean, I have to concentrate on subtitles and they often sound as ridiculous as the english ones -- only difference is that english I can understand. So yeah, english it is. Especially nowdays when there's a bunch of games with good english VA.

The only time I'll use japanese VA is if I think the setting calls for it. Let's say a game set in feudal japan or something, then I might use it.

Volcynika

Regulus Tera said:
I just started playing last night. I wasn't even following this game at all. I just picked it up because one of my buddies finished it and I was feeling like stealing his PS3 for a while.

Ah. It was a good title to pick up!

rykomatsu

Western VA's (though in all honesty, I haven't heard the VC western VAs) make me want to rip my ears off...

The voice acting quality is usually worse than say, Shikabane Hime or Lemon Angel Project...in most cases :| Granted, I filter a lot of potential titles based on voice casts...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ItsInMyVeins said:
By the way, am I the only one here using english voices in the game? :)

Nope, I play the game in english also.

I will play it in Japanese in my second play through.

Shouta said:
I'm using the English VAing. I like it WAY more than the JP VAing and I think they do a better job.

The english voice acting in Valkyria is great, especially when Rosie sings.

RpgN said:
Oh, I get it :lol

I didn't see it that way actually.

But yay to more English listeners!

Ps I've kind of stopped playing with the game after 15. I'm burned out and there are only 3 chapters left. I want to enjoy the last ones and be fully prepared. Now I understand you, Hcoregamer00.

It is good to know I am not the only one that wants to take my sweet time finishing this jewel.

Xisiqomelir

Shouta said:
I'm using the English VAing. I like it WAY more than the JP VAing and I think they do a better job.

I used JP for the first playthrough, and Eng now. It's really good except I don't like the English Welkin.

Question, how do you get the old man in the War Cemetery to teach you orders? I neglected orders completely until the end of the game, so I want to go back and learn the ones from him I skipped over originally, but most of the time he says he can't remember

Defuser

Gryphter said:
Question, how do you get the old man in the War Cemetery to teach you orders? I neglected orders completely until the end of the game, so I want to go back and learn the ones from him I skipped over originally, but most of the time he says he can't remember
It's random,so keep doing skirmishes and keep checking back on him.

Shouta

Xisiqomelir said:
I used JP for the first playthrough, and Eng now. It's really good except I don't like the English Welkin.

I can't stand the JP Welkin myself, plus the dialogue is a lot more interesting in English anyhoo. The only downside to the English Welkin is that I keep imagining Kakashi from Naruto as he's riding around in his tank.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hcoregamer00 said:
Chanteuse: A woman singer, especially a nightclub singer.
Chartreuse: A green or yellow liqueur made from herbs

Wha??
It's a joke, duder! A jooooke! I'm afraid to start ch. 5 cause it could take me a while to play ^_^

RobertM

Shouta said:
I can't stand the JP Welkin myself, plus the dialogue is a lot more interesting in English anyhoo. The only downside to the English Welkin is that I keep imagining Kakashi from Naruto as he's riding around in his tank.
Imagining that made me laugh :lol . Yeah that voice acting sounded familiar. Put me into the English VA supporter group. They don't over do it and have proper emphasis when needed, pretty good I might say, really fits the atmosphere.

rykomatsu

watched a few youtube videos of VC

The only voiceover that I thought was better than the JPN version, so far, is the narration and Selvaria...it's not bad, but I don't get what people are raving about tbh.

and I just can't put the voice and animation for max together w/o maximillian being voiced by Lelouch's VA.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh geez I am such an enormous failure I had to quit out of a mission cause I totally did it the wrong way! For C10a I thought you only needed to get a person to the target area not your tank! So I play through like 10 turns without moving my tank at all and get someone there and nothing happened! I had to quit because my Aika got killed on a railcar route so no one could get there to help her and my tank wouldn't have made it across the whole map in time to finish. x_x

And Welkins swimsuit is totally lame! What a lamo!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finally finished the game. God, I cried at that ending. Also, at that battle against Selvaria. I had to reload like fifteen times. :(

Such an awesome game. Now, finals hell!

Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay, enough of this sadness.

While looking at GameFaqs I found someone posting an interview with Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Ahem....my favorite one

On "Valkyria's Awakening" or the song that plays whenever Selvaria Bles uses her Valkyria Powers.

Holy shit, this was by Sakimoto? No wonder I loved the soundtrack so much.

Hcoregamer00

Lindsay said:
Oh geez I am such an enormous failure I had to quit out of a mission cause I totally did it the wrong way! For C10a I thought you only needed to get a person to the target area not your tank! So I play through like 10 turns without moving my tank at all and get someone there and nothing happened! I had to quit because my Aika got killed on a railcar route so no one could get there to help her and my tank wouldn't have made it across the whole map in time to finish. x_x

And Welkins swimsuit is totally lame! What a lamo!

What? Welkin's swimsuit was funny as hell.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Finally finished yesterday. Was totally unprepared for how good this game was. I didn't lose that much sleep on a game since FF7.

Is it me or is VC one of the longest console RPG's out there?

zoku88

Lindsay said:
I actually thought that too, but you should spoiler tag some of that. I didn't really redo the mission though since I didn't care enough :p
140.85 said:
Finally finished yesterday. Was totally unprepared for how good this game was. I didn't lose that much sleep on a game since FF7.

What?

It can't be more than 30 hrs. That's not very long at all. From my experience, it's about the avg length for an SRPG, ahnd shorter than the avg regular RPG...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I need to stop loafing around and finish VC before Persona 4 hits, I'm still on Chapter 10. As much as I love VC, I have a feeling P4 is going to edge it for me for my GOTY. VC will take my PS3 GOTY though.

Baha

140.85 said:

It's definitely not the longest console RPG but it's length did feel right to me. Not too long or too short.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Damn it, the 2nd battle in chapter 15 is impossible :(

Does someone have some tips?

Farnack

Banned
140.85 said:

Persona 3's 120 hour playthrough >_>;;

Spy

I received the game from Gamefly yesterday and I have to say I was blown away. I only made it to chapter 2 but I love the story so far. Is it possible to replay missions?

Shadow780

Spy said:
I received the game from Gamefly yesterday and I have to say I was blown away. I only made it to chapter 2 but I love the story so far. Is it possible to replay missions?

Yes on your 2nd play through and onwards.

Shadow780

Kingsora said:
Damn it, the 2nd battle in chapter 15 is impossible :(

Does someone have some tips?

Turn 1: First use a lancer to get rid of the tank at your right. Then juice Alicia with Orders and make her go to the right stairway. Kill the shocktrooper and the sniper leader along the way. Ignore the gatling gun, capture the camp there, heal if needed, and end your turn.

Turn 2: Juice Alicia again and continue going up to where Selvaria is. Kill the necessary enemies and at least capture the enemy camp to her right. Better if you can capture the enemy camp where Selvaria is, hide, heal, summon 2 or 3 shocktroopers (though only 1 is enough). End your turn

Turn 3: Order "Penetration" to one shocktroopers. DO NOT move him/her. Make another shocktrooper take a run at Selvaria (load her with defensive Orders if needed). The important thing for the 2nd shocktrooper is to make Selvaria change the direction to where her back is exposed to the first shocktrooper that you load with penetration order.

Try to shoot Selvaria with your 2nd shockstrooper (she'll be likely to dodge everything when faced up), now order your first shocktrooper to sneak up behind her for a stray of headshots.

Mission complete with A rank.

Baha

Shadow780 said:
Turn 1: First use a lancer to get rid of the tank at your right. Then juice Alicia with Orders and make her go to the right stairway. Kill the shocktrooper and the sniper leader along the way. Ignore the gatling gun, capture the camp there, heal if needed, and end your turn.

Turn 2: Juice Alicia again and continue going up to where Selvaria is. Kill the necessary enemies and at least capture the enemy camp to her right. Better if you can capture the enemy camp where Selvaria is, hide, heal, summon 2 or 3 shocktroopers (though only 1 is enough). End your turn

Turn 3: Order "Penetration" to one shocktroopers. DO NOT move him/her. Make another shocktrooper take a run at Selvaria (load her with defensive Orders if needed). The important thing for the 2nd shocktrooper is to make Selvaria change the direction to where her back is exposed to the first shocktrooper that you load with penetration order.

Try to shoot Selvaria with your 2nd shockstrooper (she'll be likely to dodge everything when faced up), now order your first shocktrooper to sneak up behind her for a stray of headshots.

Mission complete with A rank.

You can finish it on the 2nd turn with Vyse and his flame-thrower + awaken potential if you cap the base behind Selveria on your 1st turn and summon him there. She takes 2-3 hits with the flame thrower.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
zoku88 said:
What?

It can't be more than 30 hrs. That's not very long at all. From my experience, it's about the avg length for an SRPG, ahnd shorter than the avg regular RPG...

Really? Hmm.

I can't remember which chapter it started, but from around ch12-17 I would keep getting the feeling here and there that the game might be starting to wrap up, but the pages just kept comin' - which I was very happy about.

I feel like this was the first time I played a game I liked so much that I didn't want it to end and the game actually obliged me.

patsu

Another all nighter with Valkyria (work and play at the same time 8^P). Am in the middle of Chapter 10. I <3 snipers, Edelweiss, and shocktrooper (in that order).

Hcoregamer00

140.85 said:

Valkyria is a short game, even at my snail pace I could have beat the game in 35 hours.

It is probably the shortest Strategy RPG I played since Jeanne D'arc.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Valkyria is a short game, even at my snail pace I could have beat the game in 35 hours.

It is probably the shortest Strategy RPG I played since Jeanne D'arc.
35 hours is your shortest?

What others have you played?

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
35 hours is your shortest?

What others have you played?

Vandal Hearts, Shining Force II, Jeanne D'arc, Final Fantasy Tactics.....that's about it.

My strategy RPG history is pretty damn weak.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Vandal Hearts, Shining Force II, Jeanne D'arc, Final Fantasy Tactics.....that's about it.

My strategy RPG history is pretty damn weak.
Shining Force was my first RPG ever ^^ (not sure if it was I or II, it was on Sega Channel, lol.)

You should try some Front Mission games, although, the combat is really slow, so you might not like it.

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
Shining Force was my first RPG ever ^^ (not sure if it was I or II, it was on Sega Channel, lol.)

You should try some Front Mission games, although, the combat is really slow, so you might not like it.

I borrowed my friend's copy of the DS Front Mission and didn't like it.

Maybe I would have enjoyed it more when it was new and fresh.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
I borrowed my friend's copy of the DS Front Mission and didn't like it.

Maybe I would have enjoyed it more when it was new and fresh.
Well, I've never played FM 1st, but I liked FM4 a lot and I've heard FM3 is one of the better SRPGs out there.

Top Bottom