• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ploid 3.0 said:
I hope it isn't rare later on :\ Amazon still have Persona Fes so a ps3 sega game shouldn't be so rare right?

It should be available for the next 2-3 months.

After that the game will probably be gone forever, since it appears to have a fairly small print run. Sega was smart to make the game hard to find in many locations, instead of printing 100,000 more copies than it would sell; which would create a situation for a price collapse.

Durante

Whew, after finishing my seminar work yesterday I finally had enough time to play Valkyria again. I finished Chapter 15, and
while everything happened more or less exactly like I expected, it was still extremely satisfying to see the last of Damon. And, of course, the small redemption of Selvaria.

Evlar said:
Just bought this yesterday. I really like what I see so far. What strikes me is that this is essentially a re-imagining of World War 2, and how radically different the construction of the world and the emphasis of the story is from a Western WW2 game (something like Resistance, another re-imagining of WW2). You've got the normal Japanese silliness of 22 year old college students and teenage girls leading armies into battle, OK. You've also got much more interest in the civilians- even pregnant women and children- creatures which barely exist in most Western WW2 games. AND, in defiance of the recent thread on the topic, you've got allusion to warcrime atrocities and the Holocaust. It's wrapped neatly in a shiny anime bow, not gritty, short on realistically shelled-out buildings... both further removed from the real war and strangely closer.
I'm a bit late to the comment, but well said. It's very true that the game is much further removed from realism in its presentation (and, of course, the fantastic/anime parts of the story), but in spite of that closer in some of its themes.
Personallly I can't stand western wargames for exactly that reason: even when they purport to deal with war in a "realistic" manner, they fail to capture its true atrocities by simple omission.

Lofid

Neo Member
So I just finished up chapter 12. I'm getting B ratings without using snipers or lancers, so I'm wondering if I should just stop upgrading them. Good idea? Without giving away the layout of later levels, will I be screwed? (I believe my lancers are at 9, snipers at 7, and the rest above 11.)

Thanks in advance.

Finally picked the game up today. I'm in the middle of finishing a really big painting but I just had to take a break to crack it open. I'm really not that far but I'm really loving it. From the outset you can see how well developed and likeable every character is.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Lofid said:
So I just finished up chapter 12. I'm getting B ratings without using snipers or lancers, so I'm wondering if I should just stop upgrading them. Good idea? Without giving away the layout of later levels, will I be screwed? (I believe my lancers are at 9, snipers at 7, and the rest above 11.)

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure it's entirely possible to finish the game without ever using either, but snipers are obscenely effective at high levels. To the point where if an enemy's head is visible to the sniper they're just straight-up dead. Lancers I didn't have much use for through the bulk of the game, only really busting them out for one relatively early chapter, one late-mid-game chapter, and three very late-game chapters. Those late-game chapters would have been doable, but probably would've taken a good bit longer without them.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 11...
I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY KILLED IS! :( :( :( She's probably my fav character in the main cast... man, that was completely unexpected and shocking. :(

Defuser

Lofid said:

Thanks in advance.
You will love snipers when you upgrade them to elite class and train them up. Their aiming reticule is a dot which means it's 100% accurate.

duckroll

Newtype has the main staff for the upcoming Valkyria anime. As expected, A-1 is using a pretty generic staff so there's nothing really interesting at all. Could be decent, but it's clearly going to be like pretty much every other game tie-in adaptation. Hit or miss, but nothing special.

Director: Yasutaka Yamamoto
Script: Michiko Yokote
Character Designs: Atsuko Watanabe
Production: A-1 Pictures

Dreavus

I hope I will be able to find this after Christmas, (if I am not given it for Christmas). I have not heard good things about the title's availability in Canada. D:

Lain

You people probably already mentioned it, but I don't read this thread too much... how do you exactly get S rank? Best I can do is A rank completing a skirmish in the first turn or a main battle in a few turns. Is it something you can get only after finishing the game? I'm still so much behind, still at chapter 11.

Durante

Lain said:
You people probably already mentioned it, but I don't read this thread too much... how do you exactly get S rank? Best I can do is A rank completing a skirmish in the first turn or a main battle in a few turns. Is it something you can get only after finishing the game? I'm still so much behind, still at chapter 11.
They renamed the ranks for the US/EU versions. A is S.

MoeB

Zomg I just finished the game. If anyone is on the fence about this one, don't be. There's so much content and depth that it truly justifies its $60 ($55 on amazon) price tag.

djkimothy

Dreavus said:
I hope I will be able to find this after Christmas, (if I am not given it for Christmas). I have not heard good things about the title's availability in Canada. D:

It's absolutely BS. I just happened to find it in FutureShop and they were selling it for $69. :(

No one else had it so I caved. Loving it though. :D

vag 2.0

Yeah, 15-2 is sort of hilarious
Selvaria has no trouble
doing me in with a rifle, yet was no trouble to me as a valkyria
!

Lofid

Neo Member
ixix said:
I'm sure it's entirely possible to finish the game without ever using either, but snipers are obscenely effective at high levels. To the point where if an enemy's head is visible to the sniper they're just straight-up dead. Lancers I didn't have much use for through the bulk of the game, only really busting them out for one relatively early chapter, one late-mid-game chapter, and three very late-game chapters. Those late-game chapters would have been doable, but probably would've taken a good bit longer without them.

Sweet. I suppose I won't leave them both to rot without experience or water.

This is my favorite game of the current generation, mostly because it allows so many different ways to succeed. Generally, a game (sports games in particular) has a pre-programmed way of doing well, so once you figure that out you keep doing it. That's when a game gets boring to me. Valkyria probably has too much thinking involved to succeed commercially in the heavy-FPS market. I just hope it does well enough for warrant a sequel.

vag 2.0

Lancers are great for sneaking behind tanks and one-hitting them.

Must say though, I'm loving snipers a bit too much late game. With high accuracy they're kind of obscene!

I just beat 15-2, first shot. man, that was a tough battle. my strategy:

I took the top 3 bases. man, Selvaria can cover so much area when running around! She would do the Heal All command and completely heal herself, so I used the Smoke rounds to cover her area, then just tip-toed behind her with my shocktroopers and scouts to finish her all within 1 turn.

took me 15 turns, and I C ranked it. I was expecting a D

Durante

I also did 15-2 on first try. My strategy was to
just storm up the left side and take that base very quickly, then (re)deploy most of my army from there, going around the left side and then rolling it up from there. I killed both of the tanks on the ground level during the first turn. At the end I distracted Selvaria with a scout and then killed in one move with 10 head shots from Rosie coming up exactly behind her.

B ranking, all my units around level 12. It was a very interesting scenario, especially how you could never have a single unit visible at the end of any turn (and expect it to survive that is :lol).

zoku88

Durante said:
B ranking, all my units around level 12. It was a very interesting scenario, especially how you could never have a single unit visible at the end of any turn (and expect it to survive that is :lol).
I just used the defend all units order.

Selvaria only did meaningful damage to me when up close

Hcoregamer00

Gryphter said:
I just beat 15-2, first shot. man, that was a tough battle. my strategy:

I took the top 3 bases. man, Selvaria can cover so much area when running around! She would do the Heal All command and completely heal herself, so I used the Smoke rounds to cover her area, then just tip-toed behind her with my shocktroopers and scouts to finish her all within 1 turn.

took me 15 turns, and I C ranked it. I was expecting a D

Selvaria is great,
it is too bad she could never join your party

She is a scout that has the a machine gun that deals an incredible amount of damage along with having the accuracy of a sniper. The first thing that popped in my mind was "Holy Crap, too bad she dies after this, because she would be a great ally." After all, you don't have high hopes about Selvaria's survival when the mission was entitled Selvaria's Last Stand, or something as equally ominous.

zurra

15-2 was ridiculously easy and cheese-able... just like most of them are once you get
Awaken Potential
. My cheese strategy (just to see if it was possible) was to
give Alicia the usual Defense Boost, Caution, and Awaken Potential, then pray I got Double Movement, which I did, walked her up beside Selvaria, popped her twice with Undodgeable Shot, and finished the job with Marina from down below.

That felt way too ridiculous though, so I did it again with a normal strategy.
Sent a team up both sides... a scout, a shocktrooper, and a lancer. The scouts grenaded any enemies behind sandbags and made their way to the lift panels while the shocktroopers did the dirty work and captured the base. The tanks on the bottom were taken out quick, then I got Marina up on high ground to snipe reinforcements from the base behind Selvaria. Once all the bases and enemies were mine except the main base, Selvaria moved closer and she was dead quick with a person on each side of her.
It was really pretty easy. I saw no need to so much as move either tank, but kept an Engineer down there just in case. With All Defend it wasn't too bad. Lost a couple scouts along the way but redeployed them quick, so no actual lost units.

On mission 17 now... this game is totally awesome in every way and I don't want it to end, but it's going to have to before Persona 4 this week. :(

BTW Hcoregamer, going back to our convo earlier in the thread about Selvaria/villains, I don't feel the danger from her that comes from Maximillian or even Jaeger.
She seems like a good person that's very dedicated to her man and her mission, but not necessarily with evil intentions. Her and Alicia could totally have hung out on weekends. I will miss her. :(

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at Naggiar!!!
I'm scared as hell! Everyone keeps talking this thing up! All hell is going to break loose!

Love this game so much. My #1 for the year....

Aurelius

God, this game just keeps on giving.
Just finished Chapter 9 and the Squad 7 R&R chapter.

Now I have medals to collect! Yeah! :D

ibu

If I don't have this as one of my presents on xmas day, im going to f**king screw!!

It looks amazing infact im gonna go back and play the demo now.

ibu said:
If I don't have this as one of my presents on xmas day, im going to f**king screw!!

Actually, that's not a bad thing to do, whether you get the game or not. :p

On Chapter 2 now. I can see the love triangle forming already, and yes, I am interested in both. lol.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any real reason to read "The Writing on the Wall?" I go to get the new story stuff from Ellen, but I don't read the stories... they seem bland and I don't really care to read them. Am I really missing out?

Durante

El_TigroX said:
Is there any real reason to read "The Writing on the Wall?" I go to get the new story stuff from Ellen, but I don't read the stories... they seem bland and I don't really care to read them. Am I really missing out?
They are basically just news reports on what you did. They give you a bit of background on what the political situation is like, and how the military spins the news. I personally don't see why you wouldn't read them, I mean it takes all of a minute to do so every chapter.

Farnack

Banned
El_TigroX said:
I think they just reiterate the battles done. Some of them may reveal more things that may help you figure out what's ahead.

Like there was an article about someone breaking into a museum to steal artifacts. Faldio, I'm looking at you.

Hcoregamer00

zurra said:
BTW Hcoregamer, going back to our convo earlier in the thread about Selvaria/villains, I don't feel the danger from her that comes from Maximillian or even Jaeger.
She seems like a good person that's very dedicated to her man and her mission, but not necessarily with evil intentions. Her and Alicia could totally have hung out on weekends. I will miss her. :(

Ahem (about Selvaria)

Well, I do agree that she had the potential to be a good person, but I don't think she is genuinely good. I think her kindness that came from talking with Alicia stems from a similar connection, the Valkyrian bloodline. From what I observed, I said it before and I say it again, had Selvaria been in Alicia's situation, she probably would have been a kind, gentle girl. The problem is that she wasn't, and it was her devotion to an evil man that made her do bad things.

Personally, I would have preferred that they went down a different path. Instead, they killed her off and made her a one dimensional character. The moment Maximillan betrayed her was the moment she could have turned into an amazing character.

For example, lets say that Elanor finally tells the General to fuck off in Gharlandio and that Selvaria is their prisoner of war. This could have given Selvaria a couple more moments of exposition and development that rounded out her character. Then through her interactions with Alicia and squad 7 does she learn true friendship. That would have made her death more poignant because she would have died with grace and kindness, instead of dying like a fool

Of course, there is nothing they can do about that because what is done is done.

RpgN

Farnack said:
I think they just reiterate the battles done. Some of them may reveal more things that may help you figure out what's ahead.

Like there was an article about someone breaking into a museum to steal artifacts. Faldio, I'm looking at you.

I liked that news, at first I thought
it was Selvaria's weapons, but something was off about this theory. So once Alicia got shot and the news came that it was by one of the Gallian soldiers, I thought of Faldio :D

The report is quite fun in my opinion, it gives me more of a world war vibe and it shows that the world does suffer from it. Like how an exam had to get cancelled and about the news of a competition being cancelled for the first time due to how it's getting too dangerous. Pure genius!

zurra

Hcoregamer00 said:
Ahem (about Selvaria)

stuff

Of course, there is nothing they can do about that because what is done is done.
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, really.
It was a matter of circumstance and her position. On the one hand you have to give her credit for staying true to what she felt was the purpose in her life, but on the other hand Maximillian is a douchebag and sees even his closest followers as disposable once they're no longer useful to his cause. That's kinda good though, now I hate him even more.

_Angelus_

Banned
Err...is this game going to have a small print run? I'm seeing the game used on Ebay fr not basically cheap money and theyre used. Plus a few folks in here have hinted that this may not be around forever. I was going to put off buying the game till sometime next year since I want to get around to other games on the PS3 first but now I don't know.....

klee123

Angelus said:
Err...is this game going to have a small print run? I'm seeing the game used on Ebay fr not basically cheap money and theyre used. Plus a few folks in here have hinted that this may not be around forever. I was going to put off buying the game till sometime next year since I want to get around to other games on the PS3 first but now I don't know.....

If you mean by other games like Resistance 2 or Little Big planet then yes, make VC your priority. Since a lot of the huge titles are published by Sony and aimed for the mass market, you'll be seeing them for a loong time unlike VC.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I caved in and got the game too. It was the most expensive game for me this year and I got a lot of games day 1.

If it goes rare then I saved some time searching for it, if it does not then I had fun anyway. Though I do like my games to have something 'special' about them.

Dead Man

I just caved and bought it at $95 Australian. Only price I could find for it in stores. I'll start playing this weekend, can't wait!!

Egg Shen

El_TigroX said:
You can skip the regular articles or just blow through them, but the important stuff comes afterwards when she asks you for a donation for a story she's working one. Meeting her requests unlocks additional story chapters, but also missions on occasion.

Tailzo

We (my fiancé and myself) have been playing VC all weekend, and we've reached chapter 15. This game is awesome, I am really shocked how great it is. If you own a ps3, and you like srpg games, I can't understand how you would not like this game. Both the story and the strategy involved gets better and better over time. It has reached a point that I'm concidering this as one of the best srpg strategy game ever made, and an example of Sega's finest talents at work that can rival any other quality developers in the world. In other words, we love it, and we're floored by the experience.

While this may not be aparent at first, this game would've been a system seller for me.

Durante

McBradders said:
It makes my heart swell that this thread is consistently on the front page! Go GAF!
It makes my heart swell that all the people who said stuff like "I'll pick it up 2 weeks later when it's $30" and declared it a pre-bomba don't seem to get their wish.

A used copy of Valkyria just went for 58€ on ebay, and new ones are around 65€ to 70€ :D

akenatone

finished the game last night. great game overall. i really like the leveling system of the whole class instead of units. i never had to grind which is a plus in a game like this.
the only complaints i have are the last levels didn't require much strategy; and in my opinion the whole setting/story were just uninteresting to me.
i would recommend it for the gameplay alone.

Llyranor

Am I missing much if I decide to skip the skirmishes? I think I'll just play them afterwards once I unlock the hard versions, for the challenge.

Top Bottom