• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Llyranor said:
Am I missing much if I decide to skip the skirmishes? I think I'll just play them afterwards once I unlock the hard versions, for the challenge.
Nope, you won't miss anything important. I played them each once for fun.

Defuser

Llyranor said:
Am I missing much if I decide to skip the skirmishes? I think I'll just play them afterwards once I unlock the hard versions, for the challenge.
Depends whether you're confident/smart enough to beat through the rest of the chapters without leveling your classes much.

Baha

davidpdong said:
Old-war-hero-in-cemetary hasn't given me any orders in a long time. What is the trigger for these?

It's random. Every new chapter there'll be a chance that he'll offer a new order or one that you skipped or nothing at all. Save whenever you unlock a new chapter and see what he offers, you can reload your save if he offers nothing or an order you don't want to make him offer something else.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Durante said:
It makes my heart swell that all the people who said stuff like "I'll pick it up 2 weeks later when it's $30" and declared it a pre-bomba don't seem to get their wish.

A used copy of Valkyria just went for 58€ on ebay, and new ones are around 65€ to 70€ :D

Haha cheapskates = pwnzed and other idiotry from the internet.

Now, I just have to pick it up again and get past chapter 7, stupid puzzle-style level has me stumped still :lol

patsu

Defuser said:
Depends whether you're confident/smart enough to beat through the rest of the chapters without leveling your classes much.

Well... I am stupid enough to try since I'm neither confident nor smart about the game. I must say (I think) I have more fun that way. My soldiers are weaker than theirs, but some begin to stand out at level 9 (e.g., Rosie and all her ShockTrooper friends, the unstoppable snipers)

zoku88

Llyranor said:
Think I'll take on the challenge, then! No skimirsh it is!
Go for it. I was embarrassed that I did two skirmish battles cuz I was starved for cash (man, one of the special reports costs so much money.)

So this isn't a troll attempt or anything, but has SEGA mentioned anything about a 360 release? This game looks beautiful. I just read up on it and now I've finally stopped confusing it with Operation Darkness which was pretty shoddy.

zoku88 said:
Go for it. I was embarrassed that I did two skirmish battles cuz I was starved for cash (man, one of the special reports costs so much money.)
If it's the one that is insanely expensive I think it's a total waste of time unless you want to see female characters in bikinis. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that is.

Farnack

Banned
badcrumble said:
If it's the one that is insanely expensive I think it's a total waste of time unless you want to see female characters in bikinis. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that is.
I'd pay a million real bucks to see
Edy in swim wear. 8D

LCfiner

question guys. I'm usually not very good at strategy games (stuff like advance wars and FFT - I usually hit a wall halfway through those games) but love the art direction in this game and the devs behind it.

Would I be able to get through this one? how hardcore are the strategy elements? I keep hearing it's amazing but I want to know if it's amazing for strategy game fans only...

Llyranor

IIRC, lots of people who aren't usually SRPG fans managed to get into the game via the demo. So definitely try the demo.

I'm not far in enough to tell you how tough the game is, but it's been fairly easy so far, with a good amount of leeway for errors.

Worst-case, if things become too hard, you have skirmish maps accessible that you can play through as many times as you want to earn more gold and xp.

Try the demo!

LCfiner

Llyranor said:
IIRC, lots of people who aren't usually SRPG fans managed to get into the game via the demo. So definitely try the demo.

I'm not far in enough to tell you how tough the game is, but it's been fairly easy so far, with a good amount of leeway for errors.

Worst-case, if things become too hard, you have skirmish maps accessible that you can play through as many times as you want to earn more gold and xp.

Try the demo!

will do. thanks.

more impressions welcome from those near the end or who finished it.

LCfiner said:
more impressions welcome from those near the end or who finished it.
The game is a lot easier and less grindy than Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't think anyone in this thread had to give up halfway through because of the difficulty.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
It makes my heart swell that all the people who said stuff like "I'll pick it up 2 weeks later when it's $30" and declared it a pre-bomba don't seem to get their wish.

A used copy of Valkyria just went for 58€ on ebay, and new ones are around 65€ to 70€ :D

That is why I recommend people buy the game when they have the chance, it seems like Sega is doing an "Atlus" and keeping shipments very very low.

This game may be one of the rare PS3 games that my go UP in price by next year.

zurra said:
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, really.
It was a matter of circumstance and her position. On the one hand you have to give her credit for staying true to what she felt was the purpose in her life, but on the other hand Maximillian is a douchebag and sees even his closest followers as disposable once they're no longer useful to his cause. That's kinda good though, now I hate him even more.

I agree, but of course your prefaced your post stating that you agree with my post.

patsu

LCfiner said:
question guys. I'm usually not very good at strategy games (stuff like advance wars and FFT - I usually hit a wall halfway through those games) but love the art direction in this game and the devs behind it.

Would I be able to get through this one? how hardcore are the strategy elements? I keep hearing it's amazing but I want to know if it's amazing for strategy game fans only...

The game allows you to save in the middle of a battle, anywhere in the game. In one of the Chapters (The 2 tanks one), I took advantage of the saves to experiment with my moves.

Dre

At the moment I'm at chapter 3 and I'm already gettin' D ranks, damn I must really suck. :lol
But I still love this game, those were the best £25 I spent this year.

patsu

Ronin said:
I got fucking murdered on Chapter 7. :(

Tips?

The trick is to keep Edelweiss safe. To my knowledge, it is the only game over condition (or the number of turns).

You can keep it safe (behind a wall) near the starting point of the game when it's health bar is too low. Batomy will move forward at some point in time and leave it alone. Selvaria will stick near the tank but won't hunt for Edelweiss even if it's very close to her, as long as it's out of sight.

Someone else left Edelweiss parked near the bottom right of the corner.

The rest is up to your strategy. Most people got rid of the Imperial soldiers. Some left the turrets in to waste the enemy's command points. Whatever you do, just stay away from Selvaria.

I use Scouts and Lancers and focus on the enemy tank exclusively. I scored very low too :(

Ronin said:
I got fucking murdered on Chapter 7. :(

Tips?
The tank one?
Destroy the left side of the tank first (the one that will be facing their reinforcements) so you can use the tank as cover against the Valkyria lady. Keep your guys out of the trench facing the tank spawnpoint, that one will be flanked within one turn once the reinforcements arrive. Have a few extra Lancers at the second and third spawn (third might not be necessary) just in case. Keep one or two heavies and one or two Scouts for backup. Make sure to take down the walls.

I don't really have any good tips for your own tank, I just backed it up in a corner and moved it when someone needed a medic, you might need to keep an engineer behind it but I managed without it (with 200 or so health left for it at the end...).

Might not be the best tactic but it worked for me!

Lofid

Neo Member
Dre said:
At the moment I'm at chapter 3 and I'm already gettin' D ranks, damn I must really suck. :lol
But I still love this game, those were the best £25 I spent this year.

I was getting D ranks in the early chapters, then started getting B ranks around chapter 8 or so. I think it just takes time to figure out what you can get away with.

My advice is to always keep in mind the actual "objective" -- you probably don't have to kill as many people as you think you do to reach the goal. Also, always keep in mind that you're totally in control on your turn. I often try a method that would leave me really vulnerable when the turn ends, but reaching the objective in that turn obviously negates that problem.

I finally manned up and finish the last chapter tonight. I can't remember the last time I felt this satisfied as the credits rolled, but I nowhere near finished with this game. The stastics page taunts me with its lack of A ranks and I still have a few character's profiles to fill out. I'm cracking 100 hours on this easily. After all that roll on the DLC.

Edit: Okay so I was checking the medals that there's one for getting all the weapons upgrades and enemy weapons, and the same again for tank upgrades. Is there a list anywhere of all the named enemies and where to find them as well as the royal weapons and what you need to do to unlock them?

RpgN

Russian Steve said:
So this isn't a troll attempt or anything, but has SEGA mentioned anything about a 360 release? This game looks beautiful. I just read up on it and now I've finally stopped confusing it with Operation Darkness which was pretty shoddy.

I haven't read anything about plans for an xbox 360 port so far and honestly, I don't know if they'll do it in the future. This game was supposed to be an xbox 360 game first and in the end it became a ps3 game. So this game is in a different position compared to other 3rd party games and I don't know what that means for a future port. I'm sorry for not being able to help you further.

zurra

My advice for Chapter 7 is to
use the Edelweiss to help take out the machine guns at the beginning, then keep it good and far away unless you plan on mortaring groups of enemies. Once you have the machine guns taken out, take down the walls around the map with your lancers, and keep them in trenches to stay out of harm's way.

The biggest thing that I would recommend is to have plenty of ammo on your lancers when there are only two radiators left, or have an engineer that can refill them. Once there are two radiators left, take one of them down far enough so that one more shot will destroy it, then take out the other one. That would be the least dangerous path now that Selvaria is going to be shooting you across the map.

Keep in mind that once Selvaria arrives, she's going to make a bee-line for the Batomys and take out everything in her path. Keep your guys off to one side or the other, preferrably somewhere where she won't have a clear shot at them.

The most annoying part of the mission for me was that the reinforcements arrived with a full 20 CP. You should be able to take them all out in one or two turns if you're careful, and now that you've lost once you know when they arrive, so you can move your troops accordingly beforehand. Good luck!

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
I haven't read anything about plans for an xbox 360 port so far and honestly, I don't know if they'll do it in the future. This game was supposed to be an xbox 360 game first and in the end it became a ps3 game. So this game is in a different position compared to other 3rd party games and I don't know what that means for a future port. I'm sorry for not being able to help you further.

I think there is a remote possibility of the game going mutiplatform if they ever made a sequel. The original game, not likely.

Just like with Tales of Vesperia, by the time Valkyria Chronicles would be released on the other console, it would not garner enough sales to be worth the port job.

Llyranor

From a financial point of view, maybe.

From a gamer point of view, as many people as possible should be able to experience those two great games.

ibu

radiantdreamer said:
Actually, that's not a bad thing to do, whether you get the game or not. :p

On Chapter 2 now. I can see the love triangle forming already, and yes, I am interested in both. lol.

I didn't get the game but I did partake in the response, some theatre lady. But hey its all fun and games.

But we all know I meant in the term to be mightily pissed!

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
I think there is a remote possibility of the game going mutiplatform if they ever made a sequel. The original game, not likely.

Just like with Tales of Vesperia, by the time Valkyria Chronicles would be released on the other console, it would not garner enough sales to be worth the port job.

Yeah, I also think the sequel will be multi (unless sony strikes a deal) more likely if it ever comes.

And I still want my TOV please >_< I don't have to worry with Bamco though, they'll work on it (hopefully).

Hcoregamer00

Llyranor said:
From a financial point of view, maybe.

From a gamer point of view, as many people as possible should be able to experience those two great games.

Yeah, but the most important thing is the financial aspect.

If you release a port 6-12 months later and expect to make lots of money, good luck.

The only way to get the maximum amount of money is to get a simultaneous release, something that did not happen with Valkyria Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia.

RpgN said:
Yeah, I also think the sequel will be multi (unless sony strikes a deal) more likely if it ever comes.

And I still want my TOV please >_< I don't have to worry with Bamco though, they'll work on it (hopefully).

Sony wont strike a deal, they made it clear that they don't want to emphasize Japanese games on the PS3.

It would be ironic if Microsoft were to get Valkyria Chronicles 2 as an exclusive and got Sega to release the original one. After all, Microsoft showed that they are willing to spend money to get what they want. If they think that Valkyria 2 is worth it, they would do the deal.

Of course, Microsoft securing it exclusive has as much of a chance as Sony getting it exclusive. If they ever make another game, it will not be exclusive to any console.

As for Vesperia, I wont bet on it coming to the PS3. The game has as much chance going to the PS3 as Valkyria Chronicles has going to the XBOX 360.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Die Squirrel Die said:
I finally manned up and finish the last chapter tonight. I can't remember the last time I felt this satisfied as the credits rolled, but I nowhere near finished with this game. The stastics page taunts me with its lack of A ranks and I still have a few character's profiles to fill out. I'm cracking 100 hours on this easily. After all that roll on the DLC.

Edit: Okay so I was checking the medals that there's one for getting all the weapons upgrades and enemy weapons, and the same again for tank upgrades. Is there a list anywhere of all the named enemies and where to find them as well as the royal weapons and what you need to do to unlock them?

Wow..100 hours? My first playthrough was about 25 hours and I would say it was a fairly progressed file. Of course I didn't have every weapon/upgrade/profile but you really can't do 100% in the first run through anyway.

The royal weapons are unlocked for getting a C or above on the missions past 9 (I think 9). The better the grade the more weapons you get but what weapons you get are actually random so you do have to do the same mission over and over until you get the royal weapon you want. As for the named enemies, there was an early list floating around that I can't seem to find. It's not too hard to search out each named guy in a new game+ file though..what sucks is everything but the flame thrower from one of the named guys is pretty much trumped by the royal weapons.

Llyranor

Well, Bamco announced Eternal Sonata PS3 even before the 360 version was released, so there was a fair bit of foretelling. MS might have put a bit more influence on keeping Tales exclusive, but who knows.

Anyhow, glad I have both systems.

Hcoregamer00

Llyranor said:
Well, Bamco announced Eternal Sonata PS3 even before the 360 version was released, so there was a fair bit of foretelling. MS might have put a bit more influence on keeping Tales exclusive, but who knows.

Well, it really doesn't matter because it was released one year later.

I think that Vesperia has a better chance of being an exclusive, especially because it is far superior to Eternal Sonata.

RpgN

Llyranor said:

Bamco really pushed TOV as much as possible in Japan and they expect a lot from a mothership title. It sold well compared to other xbox 360 games, but it's the worst selling mothership title and it's selling even worse than spin-offs. Since Bamco has always been a money hungry company and they would take every chance, I think there's a chance.

Hcoregamer00, I thought the same but how did VC become magically a Ps3 game? And why is a sony studio (basically) involved in the anime of the game?

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
Bamco really pushed TOV as much as possible in Japan and they expect a lot from a mothership title. It sold well compared to other xbox 360 games, but it's the worst selling mothership title and it's selling even worse than spin-offs. Since Bamco has always been a money hungry company and they would take every chance, I think there's a chance.

Hcoregamer00, I thought the same but how did VC become magically a Ps3 game? And why is a sony studio (basically) involved in the anime of the game?

You could also argue the same thing for Valkyria. It sold decently for a new IP on a console that is selling terribly in Japan, but Sega expected more. The people who are in Sega are not saints, they don't make games because they want to bring joy to all the gamers in the world. They make games because they want money as much as Namco. They just bet on Valkyria being the next big thing and lost the bet.

As for how VC magically became a PS3 game, I don't know.

The only possible answer I could think of is that Valkyria Chronicles was moved to the PS3 before they found out that JRPG's are pretty large sellers on the 360. You can bet that with the success of 360 games like Lost Odyssey and Vesperia, along with the future success of Star Ocean 4, that they are probably considering a 360 port if the game is a sales bomb (in their eyes). At the very least, if they make a sequel, mutiplatform will be one of the main focuses.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
Lots of text, too much for the ps3 to handle

How did you know Sega expected more? In fact, they were very pleased with the warm reception gotten from feedback. You can't certainly compare a new IP with a popular franchise like Tales. It's not the same. We are talking about Bamco here, who would charge 4 euros for a character on DLC etc. We have no idea what Sega expected out of VC, but it did get acclaim and respectable numbers for a debut.

Large succes? You do know that Bamco expected TOV to sell 500k combined in the US and Japan alone? In Japan it sold more than 140k, and in the US about 75k...I wouldn't call that a success to their projections. LO shipped 750k worldwide and sold decently in the US. It is so far the only success story (with BD in less vein) for RPGs on the xbox 360. It took the father of FF games , a huge Microsoft funding and marketing to achieve. Other examples aren't really successful. I'm not claiming the ps3 is either, we haven't received many examples.

djkimothy

I just wanted to come in to say that I'm on chapter 7. I've read other people's suggestion and will make a note of it. But holy shit.

It took me 3 tries to get that Mega tank "where I wanted him." And all of a sudden, back comes support in the form of a hot chick with white hair and the dildo of DEATH! Not only that but the enemy has a full supply of CP! WTF. Battle was over when I accidentally left my tank in a vulnerable position. I couldn't guess where Megatank's ass cannon would be positioned on my last turn. :/ Gah, I'll try again tomorrow.

_Angelus_

Banned
AlexM said:
I dont even know why I bother going to best buy anymore. I'll try ebgames tomorrow I guess.

Do a Google search for Target stores. They have the game in 3 stores in my area. I plan to buy two copies. One to own,the other to sell for new on Ebay when it becomes really rare later on.

Capitalism FTW.

dejan

Finally got my shiny new PS3 and the first thing I did was downloading the VC demo. Loving it. It's a definite purchase.

djkimothy said:
I just wanted to come in to say that I'm on chapter 7. I've read other people's suggestion and will make a note of it. But holy shit.

It took me 3 tries to get that Mega tank "where I wanted him." And all of a sudden, back comes support in the form of a hot chick with white hair and the dildo of DEATH! Not only that but the enemy has a full supply of CP! WTF. Battle was over when I accidentally left my tank in a vulnerable position. I couldn't guess where Megatank's ass cannon would be positioned on my last turn. :/ Gah, I'll try again tomorrow.
Yeah, IMO that mission is poorly made. It would've been OK if there was a way to stop the blue... thing, but since they changed the rules and made her invulnerable it's pretty much inevitable that you're going to fail (or at least permanently loose a team member) the first time through, which really is just bad game design.

It gets better again after that mission though. :p

Hcoregamer00

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, IMO that mission is poorly made. It would've been OK if there was a way to stop the blue... thing, but since they changed the rules and made her invulnerable it's pretty much inevitable that you're going to fail (or at least permanently loose a team member) the first time through, which really is just bad game design.

It gets better again after that mission though. :p

Blue....thing

:lol

What a funny way to describe my avatar character.

patsu

Hah ! I finished it in 1 try. You need to protect your king in an international chess game. Same here with Edelweiss.

Top Bottom