• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

NeoUltima

NeoUltima said:
This is ridiculous :/. Game finally gets it back in stock online, go to order and fill out my info...and by the time I'm done....sold out. Damnit all :/
.....wow just happened again...what the hell! Apparently I'm not the only one who refreshes the page every 10 minutes.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Jesus, I just beat it finally. Put my tank into full throttle back to the final base to meet an engineer half way, didn't move any other units and hoarded CP points, fluked getting someone on top of it dodging Little Ms. Insta-Kill with 5hp to spare to take out the last radiator then unleashed an entire full amount of CP points the next round of Tank shells and exploded that god damn thing.

I feel like I deserve medals in real life for this! My heart is shot to shit!

Didn't it feel awesome to do it though? I freaked out with happiness once I finally beat that mission.

I love it when RPGs can manage to be difficult but still satisfying. :D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Issun23 said:
Yes, range is atrocious compared to the more advanced Gallian weaponry but they do serve their purpose well for close encounters.

My tactics usually involve sniping all enemies that can send interception fire on my troopers (all my snipers have the royal rifle), move in the scouts with grenade launchers to eliminate any Ace units which have the habit of dodging fire and finishing the rest with my troopers/lancers. Always using Engineers to reload units with limited ammo (snipers and lancers).

I only give Ace weapons to the "leader" of every class, a unit I use to go in first softening the enemies before going in with the rest of the squad.

My scouts are almost all I need. Scouts are the most useful/powerful in the game imo.

They can run so far, you can just run up to everyone and headshot them from behind/the side. Accuracy is also decent, particularly when you level up. When you get the grenade launcher you can easily get enemies out of cover as well.

I'm almost done now, 1 or 2 chapters left. Might do a new game run through using a completely different cast of characters.

Tried the smoke+sniper trick for chapter 15 someone suggested and that didn't work either. In the end I had to just grit my teeth and get my tank up to a higher level and chuck a smoke in and called out a shocktrooper to mow her down.

Even if we don't get a sequel set in the same world etc, I hope they use the engine and the mechanics again, it could suit ANY setting. sci-fi, fantasy, ancient history...

Hobbun

Just finally beat the game. Wow, what a great game. It's actually sad now that the whole experience is over. Which for me, is saying a lot because I have a bad habit in getting to a point in a game where I get tired of playing it and want to move to another game instead. Didn't happen this time with VC. Good job, Sega!

I know the game hasn't sold all that well, but I REALLY hope they do make a sequel to the game. I would buy it day one.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Chapter 7 battle really is unfair as fuck.

If you destroy the radiators too quickly, Selvaria comes in and rapes everyone before the tank even destroys your second flag, which makes it difficult to get the third radiator since there is very little space between the tank and the battlefield border. :\

ICallItFutile said:

If you destroy the radiators too quickly, Selvaria comes in and rapes everyone before the tank even destroys your second flag, which makes it difficult to get the third radiator since there is very little space between the tank and the battlefield border. :\

Fairly positive she ALWAYS comes in after the second radiator. I had issues with it, it is definitely much more difficult than the others to that point. With her I hid some lancers outside her eye sight (as in she had never seen them) and positioned the tank as cover then struck once the big tank shot its cannon.

Dragon

Banned
ICallItFutile said:

I took strategy from a faq:
Use a sniper to kill ALL of the people above the plain by moving the sniper off of the northern most trench onto the tank, and climbing up. This way I killed ALL of the annoying enemies on the plain (with a helpful reload from an engineer). It's kinda crappy but if you save after every shot you can one shot almost all of the people up there and it makes life a lot easier. The other thing I recommend to destroy the radiators is to climb up and use a grenade, it insta-kills the radiator. Also position Welkin between Selvaria and your other characters, she will not attack for some reason.

Dragnet

So I just got this for £25, played a bit...my god I don't see what the fuss is about. Story is boring, art style is pretty but bland, cutscenes go on forever it feels like and so far the gameplay is kinda meh....please tell me it gets better?

Dragnet said:
So I just got this for £25, played a bit...my god I don't see what the fuss is about. Story is boring, art style is pretty but bland, cutscenes go on forever it feels like and so far the gameplay is kinda meh....please tell me it gets better?

Where exactly are you? The fighting system starts out simple but adds more and more as you go.

Question: I tried out the demo via PSN and I enjoyed it but... in the demo mission, I could crouch behind the sandbags but couldn't crouch behind a rock?

Is this a bug in the demo or a "feature"? It really threw me for a loop and took me out of the game (and lowered my mission score) while I was vainly trying to hide behind the rock and was getting pelted by the enemy for my trouble.

Union Carbine said:
Question: I tried out the demo via PSN and I enjoyed it but... in the demo mission, I could crouch behind the sandbags but couldn't crouch behind a rock?

Is this a bug in the demo or a "feature"? It really threw me for a loop and took me out of the game (and lowered my mission score) while I was vainly trying to hide behind the rock and was getting pelted by the enemy for my trouble.

Crouching is purely for sandbags and trenches I think (at least where I am so far).

vpance

Starting to like the characters more as the story goes on.

"You're as pretty as a white winged gull" dunno why but I just :lol at those great quotes by Welkin

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Been off playing some other stuffs for the past couple weeks and tried getting back into this today. I still can't clear chapter 11 even with the faq guide and I really am in no mood to go grinding away in the off chance it'll actually help even a small bit. -_-; Can't they patch in a super easy mode? Never shoulda took a break from it now I gotta work up the willpower to get back into it like I was before.

Dragnet

TheBranca18 said:
I hope your previous post was a joke if you're on chapter one.

First impressions are everything.

Anyway, I'm on chapter...3 I think now? Got my squad together and doing the first proper mission I'm starting to enjoy it :D

Baha

Lindsay said:
Been off playing some other stuffs for the past couple weeks and tried getting back into this today. I still can't clear chapter 11 even with the faq guide and I really am in no mood to go grinding away in the off chance it'll actually help even a small bit. -_-; Can't they patch in a super easy mode? Never shoulda took a break from it now I gotta work up the willpower to get back into it like I was before.

Are your scouts at level 11 yet? If not, level them up. It'll make a huge difference thanks to their grenade launcher.

Issun23

Alicia is a monster. Did the first battle in chapter 15 with just her in 2 turns. O_O

Can't wait for New Game Plus so I do it 'properly' with all the squad and stuff.

Dragnet

Issun23 said:
Alicia is a monster. Did the first battle in chapter 15 with just her in 2 turns. O_O

Can't wait for New Game Plus so I do it 'properly' with all the squad and stuff.

Theres a game plus?

HOLY SHIT!!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So after my 360 died i needed a PS3 game to tide me over. I couldnt bare to wait anymore for this awesome game so dropped $60 on this. OMG IM IN LOVE.

Im still lost on how acquiring enemy weapons is usefull? They dont seem to be that great AT ALL. I have the Rifle, SMG thing, Sniper.

Metalic Sand said:
So after my 360 died i needed a PS3 game to tide me over. I couldnt bare to wait anymore for this awesome game so dropped $60 on this. OMG IM IN LOVE.

Im still lost on how acquiring enemy weapons is usefull? They dont seem to be that great AT ALL. I have the Rifle, SMG thing, Sniper.

Enemy Ace weapons aren't very useful in most cases. Except for the 2nd Shocktrooper gun.

ICallItFutile said:

My earlier post details on how to beat it, with an A rank at that.

Aeon712

Chapter 14 has to be the worst battle ever. The freaking tanks weak spots don't work when my troopers hit it and the enemy troops constantly respawn. After 30 mins of the ememy force respawning and killing my troops(since they never miss a shot even if I use smoke screen) I said screw it and turned it off.

gokieks

Aeon712 said:
Chapter 14 has to be the worst battle ever. The freaking tanks weak spots don't work when my troopers hit it and the enemy troops constantly respawn. After 30 mins of the ememy force respawning and killing my troops(since they never miss a shot even if I use smoke screen) I said screw it and turned it off.

There's some missions which require luck (more so if you're going for rankings), but none of them are anywhere close to being impossible. If you're finding that something seems impossible to pull off, it's your strategy that needs reworking.

For example: the radiator is the weakspot on tanks. However, Shocktroopers (and all other non-Lancer classes) do miniscule damage to the tanks even if you're shooting at the radiator (as opposed to no damage at all if you shoot anywhere else), because that's the way the game is balanced - if Shocktroopers could destroy them as easily as Lancers, you would never have to use Lancers! But the depth goes beyond that, because you're not even limited to only Lancers either - you can also use your tank(s), and there are even orders which gives a massive boost to the damage your Shocktroopers/Scouts/Engineers do to armored vehicles.

And the smoke screen does not actually directly affect accuracy. What it does is prevent enemies within the smoke from being able to use interception fire, and prevent enemies outside of the smoke to see your units inside of it.

Baha

Aeon712 said:

Wait is this the mission with two tanks on either ends of the map? This one is incredibly easy since the two tanks arrive the moment you cap the flag. You can easily move a lancer across the map, hide in the grass and use zaka on the one near the beginning.

patsu

Waddup Aeon !

After taking out all the snipers on top, I just saved enough CP to drive my tank behind the enemy's. Then take it out in the same turn (3 shots at the radiator). Make sure your own radiator is facing the cliff though. That way, any lancer reinforcement won't take you out

djkimothy

Aeon712 said:

Hahah, that was such a cheap level. But after the first play through, you can easily exploit the design in your favour after you figure out the set up.

AniHawk

Just ordered this from Target thanks to a gift card I got from christmas. This'll be my first PS3 game and I don't even have the system yet.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AniHawk said:
Just ordered this from Target thanks to a gift card I got from christmas. This'll be my first PS3 game and I don't even have the system yet.

Thanks AniHawk :D

For you owners of the game, do yourself a favor an avoid Wikipedia, it is a spoiler landmine.

I was shocked that the Tales of Vesperia wikipedia was empty while the Valkryia was littered with spoilers everywhere.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Thanks AniHawk :D

For you owners of the game, do yourself a favor an avoid Wikipedia, it is a spoiler landmine.

I was shocked that the Tales of Vesperia wikipedia was empty while the Valkryia was littered with spoilers everywhere.

I found that out way too late. OMG.

I can't believe they put a HUGE spoiler just in the CHARACTER PROFILES!

And also the intro movie, there is a spoiler there, and unfortunately for me, I saw it. Even though it was a really quick glimpse, it was enough to make me go "awww shit!" You may think that just because you've only started the game, you won't know what the spoiler is, but really, you will, if you happen to be paying attention.

Baha

I recall a couple of people here saying how Valkyria reminded them of Ring of Red on the ps2. Well yesterday I actually encountered a used copy for $9.99. I didn't pick it up but I'm actually curious now, is that game worth playing or will it feel outdated gameplay-wise? Also I have an 80GB BC ps3, how well does that game run on it?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
radiantdreamer said:
And also the intro movie, there is a spoiler there, and unfortunately for me, I saw it. Even though it was a really quick glimpse, it was enough to make me go "awww shit!" You may think that just because you've only started the game, you won't know what the spoiler is, but really, you will, if you happen to be paying attention.

Everyone keeps saying this and I'm pretty sure they mean (post chapter 14)
Alicia looking like/being a Valkurur
but while that is a spoiler, it's not game breaking or something that would ruin the story, it's foreshadowed pretty well. Now if the spoiler was (post chapter 11)
Is getting shot :( :( :( :( :( :( T_T, then that would be something that would have ruined a large part of the game for me

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
El_TigroX said:
but while that is a spoiler, it's not game breaking or something that would ruin the story, it's foreshadowed pretty well. Now if the spoiler was (post chapter 11)
Is getting shot :( :( :( :( :( :( T_T, then that would be something that would have ruined a large part of the game for me

QFT. you could kind of guess the chapter 14 one.

I'm really unfulfilled with Selvaria's story. She was a kickass character but her involvement was so....meh.

Zissou

Finally beat it. It took a little over 30 hours including almost all of the skirmishes completed once and all of the supplementary chapters you can buy as well. Quite excellent overall, despite some irritating technical problems. Why can holes in railings and the like randomly not be shot through sometimes? Why isn't there some kind of radius of movement on the map when you highlight a unit so that you could know more precisely how far they could travel? Minor things, I suppose.

This is probably the most complete "package" of a game I've played on PS3/360 so far that has come out of Japan.
MG4, though I also had some significant problems with it, also qualifies
It definitely did some very interesting things with the genre as well as game presentation as a whole. It's a shame it sold so poorly.

Otheradam

El_TigroX said:

Yeah, before I even bought the game, just looking at screen shots and art
I thought Alicia was a Valkurur. Was dissapointed when I found out the girl on the cover was actually Selvaria haha. I really thought we would be able to control one of them!

Anyway, I finished the game last weekend, It's definitely one of the most satisfying games I've played all year. It's right up there with Final Fantasy Tactics for me.

Baha

Zissou said:
Finally beat it. It took a little over 30 hours including almost all of the skirmishes completed once and all of the supplementary chapters you can buy as well. Quite excellent overall, despite some irritating technical problems. Why can holes in railings and the like randomly not be shot through sometimes? Why isn't there some kind of radius of movement on the map when you highlight a unit so that you could know more precisely how far they could travel? Minor things, I suppose.

This is probably the most complete "package" of a game I've played on PS3/360 so far that has come out of Japan.
MG4, though I also had some significant problems with it, also qualifies
It definitely did some very interesting things with the genre as well as game presentation as a whole. It's a shame it sold so poorly.

I actually liked that there was no radius since it made me plan my moves more carefully. By removing the grid-based system of movement, they had to remove the radius as well in order to create that 'freedom of movement'. As for shooting through other objects, that would be an interesting thing to add if they do a sequel though I can see how players could exploit it if the enemy spawn points aren't randomized.

Gryphter said:
Diablos, your avatar made me lol

Here's a link to a higher res version.

Oh and here's an extra for good measure:

VC chibi.jpg

gogogow

Just bought Valkyria Chronicles (to support SEGA) because the demo was fun, can't wait to play the full game.

And now bring over Kenzan and RGG3!

Top Bottom