• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Durante

6h3x1z.jpg

Durante

Baha said:
Wait, are you using info from this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347324 ?
I don't see the jrpg of the year award but the strategy game of the year award went to PJ Monsters. Am I missing something here?
Yes, I count Valkyria as both a JRPG and a Strategy game, Anihawk doesn't. I think it's easily strategical enough to do so without any problems, even compared to many PC strategy games. Also note the image doesn't say it won any award, just that it's the #1 game in those categories (which, at place 11, it easily is -- Monsters is at #36 and TWEWY, the next highest rated JRPG, is at #20!).

Baha

Durante said:
Yes, I count Valkyria as both a JRPG and a Strategy game, Anihawk doesn't. I think it's easily strategical enough to do so without any problems, even compared to many PC strategy games. Also note the image doesn't say it won any award, just that it's the #1 game in those categories (which, at place 11, it easily is -- Monsters is at #36!).

Oh ok, and yeah I think Valkyria got robbed of 10th place by Braid. Can't complain much though, I voted and I'm still pleased with the overall results.

I must admit that this game just genuinely does not look interesting to me. I love RPGs, but this one never grabbed me. However, after these continuous high-score reviewed, "Best Game No One Played" awards and, now, spot #11 on the overall GAF Game of the Year awards, I'll pick this up.

Will there ever be an Achievements patch? =\

Durante

FateBreaker said:
Will there ever be an Achievements patch? =\
No. The rumour came up because one developer said that "they would like to do it" or something to that effect, but how many Japanese retail PS3 games got a trophy patch? Especially ones that sell 300k worldwide.

Durante said:
No. The rumour came up because one developer said that "they would like to do it" or something to that effect, but how many Japanese retail PS3 games got a trophy patch? Especially ones that sell 300k worldwide.

Whoops, Trophies. But you knew that.

Ah, okay. Oh well. Picking this bad boy up today, then. Thanks

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Game's been completely off my radar until a few days ago. Was pushed into playing the demo...

First jrpg I buy this gen.

MORE CHAPTER 11 SPOILERAGE

Issun23 said:
I guess it's war.
Isara is only important to us. Her death affects us because we've been playing with her all game till that point. What about all those soldiers Squad 7 kills during missions? Don't they all have family or friends? They're all important to someone, just as Is was to Welkin and the player. It's all about perspective, I think.

I completely understand that. They made it very clear in previous chapters. In fact, I have no problem with the cliched "gentle natured, heartwarming love interest kicks the bucket". My gripe is that it was such an underwhelming death. At least Aeris was doing something important and died under the hands of the ultimate villain.

If someone was targetting Rosie, Welkin, or Alicia, and Isara blocked the shot, that I could live with. If it was Jaeger or Gregor, or Maximillian that took her down, then sure.

AN UNRELATED SPOILER WITH THE INTRO VIDEO

Sure, the story foreshadows it, but the first foreshadow element with the door, and the orphan origins are not that obvious. It's not until Chapter 12's * side chapter that they bluntly hit you over the head with it.

Baryn said:
Did not expect to love this game, but it's become my holiday #1 fave.

You know, it's interesting... I was all hyped about it when I first saw it. I couldn't wait. But after about a year of waiting and seeing generally the same promo trailers, my interest suddenly died. I got tired of the art style, and didn't think it would be that deep of a game.

It wasn't until I joined this thread that I started getting hyped again, and the things I wanted to hear basically got confirmed. I do agree, it's one of the best games I've played this year.

Durante

radiantdreamer said:
You know, it's interesting... I was all hyped about it when I first saw it. I couldn't wait. But after about a year of waiting and seeing generally the same promo trailers, my interest suddenly died. I got tired of the art style, and didn't think it would be that deep of a game.
It was somewhat similar for me. My interest didn't completely die, but I almost forgot about it until the demo appeared on PSN. From the first minute or two I played that I knew that I would love the game.

What's still amazing me is how much the full game managed to improve upon that demo. While playing it the game managed to repeatedly exceed my expectations of gameplay depth, variety and especially polish.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I still say that was kinda the point.
If it had been one of the main villains then there would have been a purpose to it, some agency, but it wasn't, it was just some random soldier, shooting at the enemy, just following orders to fulfill some goal that they don't really have a personal interest in beyond surviving.
I agree with this.
I'd say it's basically a lecture on how war doesn't care who or why it kills.

radiantdreamer said:
MORE CHAPTER 11 SPOILERAGE

I completely understand that. They made it very clear in previous chapters. In fact, I have no problem with the cliched "gentle natured, heartwarming love interest kicks the bucket". My gripe is that it was such an underwhelming death. At least Aeris was doing something important and died under the hands of the ultimate villain.

If someone was targetting Rosie, Welkin, or Alicia, and Isara blocked the shot, that I could live with. If it was Jaeger or Gregor, or Maximillian that took her down, then sure.

I still say that was kinda the point.
If it had been one of the main villains then there would have been a purpose to it, some agency, but it wasn't, it was just some random soldier, shooting at the enemy, just following orders to fulfill some goal that they don't really have a personal interest in beyond surviving.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The game came in the mail today and I've roughly played an hour or three so far. Already really liking the game. I can tell I'm gonna get frustrated at times though. I turned the game off after experiencing a very Fire Emblem-esque moment where I felt I was on a roll and about to comfortably win, only to have a lancer pop out and OHKO the Edelweiss.

Durante

Nils said:
The game came in the mail today and I've roughly played an hour or three so far. Already really liking the game. I can tell I'm gonna get frustrated at times though. I turned the game off after experiencing a very Fire Emblem-esque moment where I felt I was on a roll and about to comfortably win, only to have a lancer pop out and OHKO the Edelweiss.
Yeah, you'll soon learn to be really careful where (and in which orientation) you put it at the end of each turn. But even then a 1-in-100 shot from the other side of the battlefield can still get you. (Yes I'm speaking from experience)

In the larger battles it pays off to save once at the start of each of your turns.

on average, how long would it take to complete this game? I'm wondering if I should do this or Persona 4 first and I'd rather play the shorter one first

Baha

Linkzg said:
on average, how long would it take to complete this game? I'm wondering if I should do this or Persona 4 first and I'd rather play the shorter one first

25-40 hrs on your 1st playthrough. Definitely shorter than Persona 4.

Am completely stuck on this extra mission defending a refugee camp. The sheer number of bullshit Elite Scouts that pop out of the grass to come scoot into the base is ridiculous.

Just been trying for the last hour with my strategy of spreading across the map and picking off all the enemies, but think I might just pick all shock-troopers and have them bunker down all around and fill everything that approaches with fucking bullets. DIE IMPS!

Durante

RPGamer finally posted their review of VC.

5/5, Exceptional
"The game is a complete package of truly innovative and engaging gameplay, an extremely well-written and well-executed storyline, and a stunning presentation on every level. If you've been holding out on a PS3 purchase, now might be the time to take the plunge. If you own a PS3, then you simply must own a copy of Valkyria Chronicles."

djkimothy said:
Is there a higher rez version of this image without the text?

I'd love it as my new desktop image.
It was posted (by Baha I think) a bit earlier at this size, I just removed the previous text and added this one.

Baha

SecretBonusPoint said:
Lancer hidden in grass suddenly appears and one shots my tank.

I want to eat my own heart.

Try this:

Baha said:
I beat it with an engineer, rosie, largo & a sniper. Use the sniper near the rocks in front of the base with the engineer for cover fire as well. I left the edelweiss on the left side of the base on the road to cover any runners and it's far enough from the other tanks for a few turns. I moved largo up in the grassy area on the right of the sniper & engineer (crawling whenever his turn was done) to take out the tank radiators and rosie was on the right side of the base with occasional help from the engineer (I moved him back and forth).

The back of the box say DTS audio. I know Uncharted did as well and it worked, but this only plays in Dolby Digital 5.1. How do i make it use DTS?

gokieks

fivehorizons said:
The back of the box say DTS audio. I know Uncharted did as well and it worked, but this only plays in Dolby Digital 5.1. How do i make it use DTS?

Uncheck Dolby Digital in your PS3's sound output options. Yes, it's annoying.

Dartastic

GODDAMNIT, I got ALL the way to the very end of Chapter 7, and I only had to hit the tank ONE MORE TIME. Then he steam-rolled over my base. FUCK. This is one of the major things I hate about strategy games; when you are almost done with a mission and you DIE, which forces you to play the entire HOUR LONG MISSION AGAIN FUDUKDASFLUSDLUAFKLU;SDKLU;FSDALK;USCKLJACSJKL

Dartastic said:
GODDAMNIT, I got ALL the way to the very end of Chapter 7, and I only had to hit the tank ONE MORE TIME. Then he steam-rolled over my base. FUCK. This is one of the major things I hate about strategy games; when you are almost done with a mission and you DIE, which forces you to play the entire HOUR LONG MISSION AGAIN FUDUKDASFLUSDLUAFKLU;SDKLU;FSDALK;USCKLJACSJKL

GODDAMNIT you can save at any time during a battle

androvsky

Dartastic said:

You do know you can save during battles, right?

Anyway, I wandered into this thread because I just started new game+, and I can't find my favorite shock trooper, Jane "Pain" Turner. Nobody died during my first run, in fact I think Jane fired the final shots of my game, but she's not listed in my squad anywhere, even as a reserve. Do I have to hope she randomly shows up again, or am I just being blind?
She doesn't even replace the training instructor, which I thought would've been awesome even though I like using her

Baha

androvsky said:
You do know you can save during battles, right?

Anyway, I wandered into this thread because I just started new game+, and I can't find my favorite shock trooper, Jane "Pain" Turner. Nobody died during my first run, in fact I think Jane fired the final shots of my game, but she's not listed in my squad anywhere, even as a reserve. Do I have to hope she randomly shows up again, or am I just being blind?
She doesn't even replace the training instructor, which I thought would've been awesome even though I like using her

Yeah, recruits are random on every playthrough so she'll show up eventually or if you keep reloading your save at the beginning of a new chapter.

androvsky

Baha said:
Yeah, recruits are random on every playthrough so she'll show up eventually or if you keep reloading your save at the beginning of a new chapter.

Awesome, thanks. I was wondering if that was the case, but I already had Vyse and Aika right from the start, and Jane was the only other random one I remembered off the top of my head.

Technically I should be getting caught up on Persona 3 and 4, but VC has me hooked big time.

Lilsnubby

Dartastic said:

Once I knew that a grenade tossed into the radiator will destroy it in one shot this level was easy

Baha

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is there anyway to get this game for less than full price?

There was back in November due to a Amazon.com promotion but now I've no idea. Check your local retailers for boxing day deals on ps3 games, there might be something.

Diablos

Heh (semi-big spoiler, I suppose),
Vyse
and
Aika
are in the game! Makes me wish
I played Skies of Arcadia

From Wikipedia:
Two optional characters named Vyse Inglebard and Aika Thompson appear as members of Squad 7 in Valkyria Chronicles, and are listed on each other's Like list, indicating that they are friends. Some of the dialogue spoken by the two contains subtle references to their lives in Skies of Arcadia, such as Aika's line when rescuing a fallen comrade "If you die on me, then I'm taking all your treasure!".
hehe.

Valkyr Junkie said:
GODDAMNIT you can save at any time during a battle
Really? I didn't know that :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
After getting up to chapter 9-10
Whatever one has you saving the princess from the armored car.
I just realised how Important and F'in awesome Orders are. WOW. :lol
Gave a order to one of my Shocktroopers and destroyed the car right away in 1 turn

I havent really had any problems on any chapter so i just never bothered with Orders.

Edit: That Pic is missing Largo :(

Diablos

Metalic Sand said:
Gave a order to one of my Shocktroopers and destroyed the car right away in 1 turn

I havent really had any problems on any chapter so i just never bothered with Orders.

lol, I just had Rosie
spam the rear of the tank and use up all the turns 'till it was out of health, with minimal cover. Easy!

Dartastic said:

Read my earlier post on how to do this, with an A rank too. Wow, seems everyone has a lot of problems with this chapter. I did too, but it's so epic. I loved it. Very Shadow of the Colossus epic.

eznark

Banned
Metalic Sand said:

Yeah, that's when I figured out orders also. Now I use mortar strike a fair bit. I'm on chapter 11, and holy shit this mission is long as hell. I really wish I knew I could save at any point!

Compass

Banned
So my New Year's Resolution is to chill out with the rampant game buying, especially titles at full price. But hey, what do you know, we're still a few hours away from 2009. ::proceeds to Amazon::

djkimothy said:
Is there a higher rez version of this image without the text?

I'd love it as my new desktop image.

Seconded.

Top Bottom