• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Diablos

maskrider said:
Heh ! After these ...

ss2809.jpg

Looks like these are coming !

ss2810.jpg
ss2811.jpg
ss2812.jpg

wtf :lol :lol

Durante

ezekial45 said:
Playing this game makes me want another SOA game. Hell, i'd love to see a remake with this art style. It would look amazing. :D
I want a classic JRPG with the same aesthetics and a seamless battle system that is like a mix of Valkyria and BoF:DQ. It will never happen because it would probably sell about 500 copies but it would be amazing.

ezekial45

Banned
polyh3dron said:
As long as there are fewer random encounters, I'm in.
I heard they were improved in the legends release.
Durante said:
I want a classic JRPG with the same aesthetics and a seamless battle system that is like a mix of Valkyria and BoF:DQ. It will never happen because it would probably sell about 500 copies but it would be amazing.
True.
Diablos said:
So I assume there has been no news of the Selvaria DLC coming to US/EU gamers? :(
Yeah it's coming. Along with the Hard EX pack. The Edy pack is the one we don't know about. It'll be out in early 2009.

Diablos

ezekial45 said:
Yeah it's coming. Along with the Hard EX pack. The Edy pack is the one we don't know about. It'll be out in early 2009.
Sweet.

Also, there's a hard mode?! :lol This game is hard as is!

I was going to buy it, but the single copy (for about €75) at the local Game had already been bought. Good for the game, I suppose, but I need to track down another copy now.

Sinn Fein

ezekial45 said:

Whoa, guys. I'm quite sure it was Edy's mission that was announced here, and the EX Hard pack too probably (came out same day in Japan). They were released back in early August in Japan. The Selvaria pack came out much more recently, end of Oct in Japan. It has not been announced for N. America.

The associate producer guy who talked about the DLC on the PS Blog, which is the only place I've heard anything remotely concrete, said they'd like to bring further stuff over but can't say for sure yet.

Edy and the EX Hard are supposed to be early 2009.

I certainly hope they bring out everything they do here, cause I want it. Scrap the English voice work if you need to, just release it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
why is Edy so popular? I just finished the game, last mission was dull but really nice ending.

Issun23

I'll have to buy the US version to get the DLC thanks to no local PS Store. =/

Now if there were EU PSN cards it would be a different story.

Dartastic

Just got the game in yesterday via Gamefly, and I sat down this morning and played all the way to chapter five. What the HELL? Sega made a REALLY GOOD GAME that isn't Yakuza? o.0

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Bah I went to the nearest stores around my town to buy the game and they didn't have it in stock!!! BLagh, I went to gamestop as well and nothing either WTF!!!>!>! Blah looks like the Internet will save the day.

gokieks

I made the rounds at a bunch of stores yesterday when trying to find some new games to buy (Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, 2 GameStops, Meijer, Wal-Mart), and out of those, Wal-Mart had 2 or 3 copies (inside glass case, couldn't tell for sure), and on eof the GameStops had one. So based on my anecdotal evidence at least, it's getting harder to find in the US as well as other countries now.

On the upside, neither GameStop had any used copies in stock.

Chapter 11 spoiler. DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN CHAPTER 11.
I just beat it, and OMG, I can't believe Isara dies! It seemed rather forced, in my opinion. It wasn't necessary, and only subtracted from the story. She wasn't even killed by a main character! If she died under Selveria's hand, and maybe by being sacrificial, then sure. I could live with that. But this is just ridiculous.

Issun23

radiantdreamer said:
Chapter 11 spoiler. DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN CHAPTER 11.
I just beat it, and OMG, I can't believe Isara dies! It seemed rather forced, in my opinion. It wasn't necessary, and only subtracted from the story. She wasn't even killed by a main character! If she died under Selveria's hand, and maybe by being sacrificial, then sure. I could live with that. But this is just ridiculous.

I guess it's war.
Isara is only important to us. Her death affects us because we've been playing with her all game till that point. What about all those soldiers Squad 7 kills during missions? Don't they all have family or friends? They're all important to someone, just as Is was to Welkin and the player. It's all about perspective, I think.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Its weird but this is the only game this generation to make me develop a bond to the characters I used.

I played a whole bunch of war games, dabbled in a few RPGs but this is the only one where I felt a bond, it felt like I'd won a war with these people and now it was time to part ways. The ending felt really nostalgic for me.

and I don't just mean the story characters either. I really felt for the characters I favoured, for no real reason. they don't really have a storyline or do anything, for some reason I just became super attached to my default squad.

Vyse, Alex, Aika would always be my first choices after the leads as they like each other.

Cherry would accompany Rosie and Largo.

Dallas was my go to engineer.

Oscar and Marine were my snipers.

If I can bother having a 2nd play through I will build my squads around Edy and some others, just to see what the fuss is about and in preparation for the DLC.

I played last night until Chapter 3 or 4 and I just feel like im gonna make the wrong move at all time. But loving it so far. Love the R&D section or the game and buying upgrades for Tank.

I picked up a few weapons off the soldiers last night, is that something that i want to continue doing?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am currently at chapter 6. Really loving it so far(sky-rocketing in my best game of the year list). But I have a few nit picks. First of all, how many battles are there? It's like 1 battle per chapter (wish there were more). Also I have a problem with the story, it throws like all the anime cliche's at me. I find the the main characters one dimensional and quite frankly boring and predictable. I like the way they try to give more exposure to the characters thru extra scenes (the journalist chapters), but why does it have to be a fuckin cooking/ eating scene? And just when I thought it couldn't get more cliche, the game introduced me to the flying pig thingy that blurb OINK OINK PWAAA. Seeing how everybody praises it's story I think the really good parts are still ahead of me.

patsu

RamzaIsCool said:
I am currently at chapter 6. Really loving it so far(sky-rocketing in my best game of the year list). But I have a few nit picks. First of all, how many battles are there? It's like 1 battle per chapter (wish there were more). Also I have a problem with the story, it throws like all the anime cliche's at me. I find the the main characters one dimensional and quite frankly boring and predictable. I like the way they try to give more exposure to the characters thru extra scenes (the journalist chapters), but why does it have to be a fuckin cooking/ eating scene? And just when I thought it couldn't get more cliche, the game introduced me to the flying pig thingy that blurb OINK OINK PWAAA. Seeing how everybody praises it's story I think the really good parts are still ahead of me.

Keep your expectation low or at the usual level & play more. ;^)

Man this game rules, just smashed Chapter 7 first go, got C rank so not quite the best but it was difficult. I had like 5 people unconscious at one stage, managed to get some scouts and go round em all up though so no deaths so far. This game rocks.

Top Bottom