• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Baha

Fyrus said:
Another small, possibly dumb question: Are there any cutscenes after the status reports? (end of battle, shows rank, money, exp, etc) I've been hitting X after they show up and just wanted to ask.

Hmm, I think all the cutscenes appear in the book so you'll know if you skipped any just by looking. I haven't skipped any cutscenes yet either so I don't know if you can skip them by pressing x or start.

Also, I found this recently but I've no idea where to find a bigger version.
vc pic.jpg

calder

I went to three stores in my local (admittedly kinda crappy) downtown mall and couldn't find this game. It was just not carried at any of them, I guess I'll have to swing by an EB or something tomorrow against my better judgement.

Damn I hate it when games are hard to find. Between this and my trials finding a copy of Yakuza 2 you'd think Sega would have ppl scanning message boards and sending a guy over to my house with a portable debit machine and a copy of the game. ;)

Tailzo

I just completed the game. I want to sayto all the doubters that yes, the game is long, and yes, it is long and awesome. I played 55 hours+ before completing it.

On chapter 9 now, and I really have to say that this game is fantastic. I have a few little minor quibbles that I think could be addressed in a sequel, but other than that, the game is great.

calder said:
I went to three stores in my local (admittedly kinda crappy) downtown mall and couldn't find this game. It was just not carried at any of them, I guess I'll have to swing by an EB or something tomorrow against my better judgement.
I bought my copy at Walmart, so you might try there.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
If a party member needs to be revived but you complete the objective before the 3 turns are up does the member get saved.

It happened to me with Aika and she's still in my squad, but I'm just wondering if it happened because she's a special character or if they game will try to pull a fast one on me and say she died at the end.

Also what happens if the other special characters like Largo die?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Just have to say, this is the first SRPG that I have loved, not liked, were talking my favorite of the genre without any question

Bravo Sega, sorry it bombed but its a niche thing, not even Nintendo can whore out Fire Emblem and only the Final Fantasy name helps that series, still fucking AWESOME game!

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
BSTF said:

They dont die (they just are no longer available for that battle only).

Aika is not a special character.

Baha

BSTF said:
If a party member needs to be revived but you complete the objective before the 3 turns are up does the member get saved.

It happened to me with Aika and she's still in my squad, but I'm just wondering if it happened because she's a special character or if they game will try to pull a fast one on me and say she died at the end.

As long as you finish the mission before they 'die' and the enemy doesn't tag them then they should survive.

calder said:

Damn I hate it when games are hard to find. Between this and my trials finding a copy of Yakuza 2 you'd think Sega would have ppl scanning message boards and sending a guy over to my house with a portable debit machine and a copy of the game. ;)

I`m in the same boat I`ve gone to about 10 stores and nobody has it, I finally had to break down and order it from amazon even though they are sold out as well. Oh well, at least it gave me an excuses to order world war z as well.

I`m finding to hard to believe they only sold 33K unless they only printed that many.

gokieks

There's a drawn out animation sequence that will leave you with no doubt when one of your recruits die. You couldn't miss it if you tried (assuming you're looking at the TV, obviously).

And as noted, the leaders cannot die, and just automatically retreat from battle when they fall.

AniHawk

Got my copy today. I'm expecting this game may get a price drop, but I was assuming the game would be incredibly difficult to find soon.

Anyway, it's in stock at amazon right now for $56.99

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Baha said:
Hmm, I think all the cutscenes appear in the book so you'll know if you skipped any just by looking. I haven't skipped any cutscenes yet either so I don't know if you can skip them by pressing x or start.

Also, I found this recently but I've no idea where to find a bigger version.
vc pic.jpg

hell, i'd like some more concept art of this game

yamo

Can't decide if I should go ahead and purchase this game now or wait for a pricedrop. Love strategy rpg games like Fire Emblem so I suppose I would enjoy this game aswell.

lilljolle said:
Can't decide if I should go ahead and purchase this game now or wait for a pricedrop. Love strategy rpg games like Fire Emblem so I suppose I would enjoy this game aswell.

I finally bit the bullet as I see it as a game with a small print run that collectors and SRPG die hards will eventually pay top dollar for.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
lilljolle said:

This game makes Fire Emblem look like a joke, even in simple movement your constantly at risk and have to plan out every single move as carefully as you can

To be honest, a Fire Emblem with this game's engine would be the greatest thing imaginable IMO, but regardless of my love for the swords/sorcery scene Valkyria really pulls off its setting perfectly.

Its one game where I can fail a mission and already know how to attempt it the second time, rarely happens but its just that addicting.

In other words, get it now give the game some sales and don't wait to play one of the top 5 PS3 games

I'm on Ch 9 now and I have to say this is the best PS3 game I've played. I like it even more than MGS4 or Uncharted, and it is very close to beating out Persona 4 for GOTY for me. Kudos to Sega for creating something so unique and enjoyable.

Diablos

What level do your shocktroopers have to be at to get elite status?

Also how long on average does this take to complete? I've seen people saying anywhere from 30 to 50+.

ezekial45

Banned
Diablos said:

Also how long on average does this take to complete? I've seen people saying anywhere from 30 to 50+.

LVL 11 for elite class.

Diablos said:

All troops turn into elites at level

I took about 40 hours to complete, I'd say that's about average

ukiraros

Diablos said:

All classes become elite at level 11.

It took me 37 hours and 55 minutes to beat the game.

Diablos

Thanks and thanks.

Just got to the part where (megaton)
Isara gets shot. :(

Although
Rosie singing was a bit much :lol

I really love this game, one of the best for PS3 and probably GOTY for me, but the story bits can get reallllly sappy.

Issun23

Beat it. :D What a wonderful and fulfilling ending.

Took me 55 hours total but it's been the most compelling 55 hours of gaming in a while. I never thought it'd happen but Suikoden is no longer my favourite RPG, this one topples it from first place.

I really really hope there is a sequel, I can see lots of opportunities to expand on the story and this world.

I just beat it too, a bit over 40 hours and my characters were still fairly low-level - 14/15/14/11/12 - I could have done a lot more, and I probably will go back and do so. Who said this game is short?

I also hate the gaming media so much for completely glossing this over. THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE THERE FOR YOU DOOFUSES, TO PLAY EVERYTHING TO CATCH THE GEMS THAT MIGHT SLIP BY, NOT JUST WRITE HUNDRED PAGE TREATISES TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT GRAND THEFT AUTO WHICH THEY'RE ALREADY GOING TO BUY NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

*Ahem*

Game of the year. Possibly the most beautiful game ever made.

Stopped playing tonight after hitting the middle of chapter 15. This game is incredible. It's hitting all the right chords with me in the same way that games like Lunar 1/2, Odin Sphere, and Grandia II did. Anyone who doesn't like Rosie singing has no soul.

How many chapters is this again?

patsu

LiveFromKyoto said:
THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE THERE FOR YOU DOOFUSES, TO PLAY EVERYTHING TO CATCH THE GEMS THAT MIGHT SLIP BY

Amen. v_v

I completed the game with relatively low level characters too. Never grind. Didn't even play any skirmish, side quests or reports. 35 hours. Shocktrooper (12), Scout (11), Sniper (11), Lancer (9), Engineer (10)

ukiraros

pancakesandsex said:
Stopped playing tonight after hitting the middle of chapter 15. This game is incredible. It's hitting all the right chords with me in the same way that games like Lunar 1/2, Odin Sphere, and Grandia II did. Anyone who doesn't like Rosie singing has no soul.

There are 18 chapters, you also have 5 optional battles when you buy Ellets reports..

comedian

navii said:
They dont die (they just are no longer available for that battle only).

Aika is not a special character.

Little correction: When a soldier dies, if you "save them" (medic order or touching them) you can call them back next turn using re-inforcements.

Soldiers only die when 3 turns and they havent been saved or a enemy soldier "touches" them.

Diablos

LiveFromKyoto said:
I just beat it too, a bit over 40 hours and my characters were still fairly low-level - 14/15/14/11/12 - I could have done a lot more, and I probably will go back and do so. Who said this game is short?

I also hate the gaming media so much for completely glossing this over. THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE THERE FOR YOU DOOFUSES, TO PLAY EVERYTHING TO CATCH THE GEMS THAT MIGHT SLIP BY, NOT JUST WRITE HUNDRED PAGE TREATISES TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT GRAND THEFT AUTO WHICH THEY'RE ALREADY GOING TO BUY NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

*Ahem*

Game of the year. Possibly the most beautiful game ever made.
It really is a shame that it basically got no love from the gaming media. But that is to be expected.

gokieks

Diablos said:
It really is a shame that it basically got no love from the gaming media. But that is to be expected.

Practically every review of it that I've read (and I've made it a point to read every single one that I come across) has been positive, and a 86 average score on Metacritic is quite good. No, it didn't get many "of the year" mentions, but that's to be expected for such a niche game in a year of so many high-profile releases.

Diablos

gokieks said:
Practically every review of it that I've read (and I've made it a point to read every single one that I come across) has been positive, and a 86 average score on Metacritic is quite good. No, it didn't get many "of the year" mentions, but that's to be expected for such a niche game in a year of so many high-profile releases.
So? I can give the game the high review. It didn't get enough attention. Even when you read metacritic, at least one of the reviews admits it will be swept under the rug in the highlights section. It's like people acknowledge it as great, but don't care if it gets a fighting chance or not.

There's always high-profile releases. That's a poor excuse, imo.

Durante

Diablos said:
So? I can give the game the high review. It didn't get enough attention. Even when you read metacritic, at least one of the reviews admits it will be swept under the rug in the highlights section. It's like people acknowledge it as great, but don't care if it gets a fighting chance or not.
I gained quite a bit of respect for Tycho because of this post. I guess it would have been even better if he did write a thousand words every day about it :lol

I think even if the media throws quite a bit of its weight behind a game then that won't automatically make it a success, unless it's one of the very high-profile genres (eg. space marine shooters right now).

Egg Shen

pancakesandsex said:

The Japanese or English language Rosie or did it even matter? I loved both and was hugely impressed with how well the English lyrics turned out. Brought back memories of losing Nei in Phantasy Star 2.

Diablos

pancakesandsex said:
Anyone who doesn't like Rosie singing has no soul.
I see what you did there :lol

Heh, I wish the OST had the instrumental (English) opening vid song, "Those Who Succeeded". It's one hell of an instrumental.

gokieks

Diablos said:

There's always high-profile releases. That's a poor excuse, imo.

What do you expect the gaming media to do, exactly? Plenty of reviews praised the game and basically said "if you're a PS3 owner, you should play this game" - what more are you expecting? Begging people to play it?

It's not the gaming media's job to promote a game - it's the publisher's (and Sega did a decent job of it, release timing aside). The media covers what they think their readers are interested in, and there's no denying that the higher-profile releases are, by their very nature, what more people care about.

The success or failure of a game depends more on the taste of the game buying public than anything else. People tend to want to bring up ancillary reasons like marketing, media coverage, etc, and while they are factors, none of them, save possibly universal critical condemnation, will cause a game to be pre-destined to fail in sales. And to blame either marketing or media coverage for the failure of VC, when both in this case were in fact positive, is just stupid.

Top Bottom