• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

ugh, i want to buy this game but i really shouldn't be dropping another $56.99 on a game.... i'll wait it out for another amazon price drop!

i liked the demo a lot though :/

Baha

Dartastic

Lilsnubby said:
Once I knew that a grenade tossed into the radiator will destroy it in one shot this level was easy

It's not that. All of their dudes are already dead. It's when Sylvania shows up that I get raped. I've seen the advice though now, and I'll probably get it next time. I'm just debating whether or not I should allow the tank to roll through the second camp before destroying the second radiator.

Baha

Dartastic said:
It's not that. All of their dudes are already dead. It's when Sylvania shows up that I get raped. I've seen the advice though now, and I'll probably get it next time. I'm just debating whether or not I should allow the tank to roll through the second camp before destroying the second radiator.

I'd let it since by then your troops are all far away from Selveria's spawn point. Don't forget to use your tank's mortar on Selveria's team, work wonders for wiping out the elite units.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm really struggling on Mission 17. I'm guessing this battle will last awhile.
Jaeger's tank armor barely takes any damage from my lancers and Edelweiss. And i still have to destroy the tank afterwards. :lol

How did you guys finish this one? I tried looking at a few vids, but i'm guessing their levels are much higher than mine.

Scout/16
Shock/15
Lancer/16 or 17 (can't remember)
Engineer/15
Sniper/15

Dartastic said:

Don't let it roll through the second base before dropping the 2nd grenade. You'll lose your A rank, for starters. If you set everyone up behind the wall, Selveria won't be able to attack you, and as such, anyone coming down the "gambit" can be eliminated by Welkin's mortars. By the time the tank hits the third barrier It will still be in range for your Lancers, and your team will still be shielded from Selveria.

zoku88

ezekial45 said:
Jaeger's tank armor barely takes any damage from my lancers and Edelweiss. And i still have to destroy the tank afterwards. :lol

How did you guys finish this one? I tried looking at a few vids, but i'm guessing their levels are much higher than mine.

Scout/16
Shock/15
Engineer/15
Sniper/15
My highest level was probably around 15 lol

Darkpen

Banned
So I just finished the final mission, episode, story epilogue and credits during the wee morning hours of the new year, and I have to say, its a feel-good ending, especially with all of the extra info you can read in the Personell tab.

This is my first time ever posting or reading anything in this thread ever since it was made, so I guess I'll write down my thoughts of my experience.

There were several points where it was disillusioning-ly clear that they took exact elements and historical scenarios, and spinned it in an upside-down crazy world maker, making my head spin with thinking "So Darcsens are the Jews, Japanese, and Native Americans combined, with Gallia being a Sweden with an actual military, the Empire is a cocktail of Rome, Germany, Russia, and something else, the Federation is just boring piece of plastic, and this all takes place under the umbrella of partial Norse elements."

I have to admit, it was a bit hard to get over that when the game slammed all of the obvious inspirations in your face. I mean, sure, technically the game was designed with the whole "alternate universe WWII with fantasy elements" theme in mind, but its still a little jarring at times. Regardless, by the ending, I got over that.

Something else that bugged me was the game's balance on what it considered realistic, and what was clearly implemented for balancing purposes. I don't remember what it specifically was that bugged me outside of a few units not being able to fire when someone's moving, but there were a few.

There were also times when I wish they expanded on the spectrum of emotion that the characters expressed, especially Welkin. And with some cutscenes, it was just mindboggling to watch as not everyone tries to get to cover, during the
two cutscenes where Alicia and Isara are shot. I mean, seriously, where the fuck did Isara get shot for her to die, yet still be able to talk til her last moments? That really annoyed me

Also, what's up with two characters being voiced by Quinton Flynn? I think one of them is either Karl, or some other dude, and the other character is the guy at the grave. I didn't realize that that dude sounded like Quinton until I loaded up my completed save, and went to the graveyard, only to find out that you get the last order from him, then and there. I was actually planning on playing through it all again, but with Japanese voices, but I wanted to hear the guy say it in English, too, so I loaded up the file again, only to find that when I went to the ceremony hall place again, she awarded me with a different second weapon than before, which leads me to believe that the rewards are pretty much randomized, which is somewhat of a disappointment to me.

Which, in turn, is why I've decided to shelve it for a short while and rest before I try anything more. I didn't get to read everything that was written in the epilogue for Varrot, so I want to check that out, at least.

Talking about the game, though, the game felt awfully restrictive and difficult at times, turning into a case of trial and error for the harder missions, which is disappointing. I mean, there's a pretty steep learning curve for VC's unique brand of strategy, a brand which, at points, became heavily ingrained in my thinking, to the point where in one morning, as I was half awake, began thinking of nothing but the unrealistic fashion in which actions, movement, and turns were dictated, and somehow confusing that with how the real world is, finding conflict in my sense of reality.

I mean, its no surprise, as the same thing happened with me when I was heavily playing the LittleBigPlanet beta, thinking of the world in 3 layers and whatnot :lol

Anyways, I have to say, I was really touched by a few moments in the game, though I was honestly expecting to see Welkin
just break down, sometime after Isara dies,
but was left disappointed in that he never really showed a deeper, emotional side, and more or less remained stoic, looking like a complete buffoon when
Alicia got shot

I was also incredibly saddened when
Selvaria died. I really liked her, too; I was hoping there would be some sort of story twist where she joined us, and we got to control her, but that never happened (and yes, I know there's DLC of controlling her coming). But at the same time, instead of falling into my desire to have her as a playable character, she instead remained the consistent, and tragic figure that she was as a Valkyrian.

Oh, but I was so fucking glad as that fatass General whatshisface died. In a way, it was always mildly enjoyable to watch as the badguys would suffer even at Maximillian's hands, but at the same time, it was disheartening to see Selvaria being treated as she was by him. I didn't really care much for whatever the guy's past was, frankly, after Selvaria did the Valkyrian flame.

And yeah, that's pretty much all I really have to say, outside of just how cute
the ending scene is, and how Alicia looks all sexy-like.

Definitely a feel-good game to start the year with, though.

Edit: Reading the final Personel info for my snipers, what the hell's up with Catherine and Marina? I loved both of them, and they just turn around and become
loners and hermits :(

And by the way, can someone direct me to where I could find that one Sylvaria figurine where there was an actual rest for her breasts? :lol It looked pretty epic, but now I want it even more :(

gokieks

ezekial45 said:

Scout/16
Shock/15
Engineer/15
Sniper/15

There are two ways you can approach that mission. If you only want to finish it ASAP and get the rank, w/o caring about killing leaders/Ace, you can just use a bunch of Lancers - have one run west on turn 1 so that he/she can reach the radiator on turn 2, then have the others move and fire at Lupus to destroy its armor on turn 2, and finally giving the first Lancer a defense boost and then run behind the Lupus to destroy it.

If you want to do the mission the "intended" way and occupy all camps:

Turn 1: Use Shamrock to destroy all the enemies in the middle camp (the flamethrower can kill all of them in a single action if you line it up right), then use Edelweiss to to destroy the AT gun on the roof near the north base and destroy the tank there. Use a Scout to capture the middle base and move an Engineer there. Be sure to position your tanks so they don't get destroyed from a radiator shot.

Turn 2/3: Have a Scout capture the north enemy base, then move onto the roof to kill the Sniper and Lancer, and drop down in the alley in the north. Use the Scout/Engineer/Shamrock team to capture the southwest base. Move Edelweiss towards the northwest base.

Turn 4: Use Edelweiss and scout to destroy the enemies near the northwest base (including tank) and capture it, then summon some Lancers and an Engineer.

Turn 5+: Ty the Immortal (Ace) will be in the alley due south on the map, and you can send Scouts/Shocktroopers to kill him (beware that he dodges - a lot). Whenever you're ready, use Lancers/Edelweiss to destroy the armor on Lupus, then destroy it with a radiator shot.

eznark

Banned
Busted ass last night and I'm up to Chapter 13. I'm liking the story less and less but the game play and RPG elements are the balls.

ezekial45

Banned
gokieks said:
There are two ways you can approach that mission. If you only want to finish it ASAP and get the rank, w/o caring about killing leaders/Ace, you can just use a bunch of Lancers - have one run west on turn 1 so that he/she can reach the radiator on turn 2, then have the others move and fire at Lupus to destroy its armor on turn 2, and finally giving the first Lancer a defense boost and then run behind the Lupus to destroy it.

If you want to do the mission the "intended" way and occupy all camps:

Turn 1: Use Shamrock to destroy all the enemies in the middle camp (the flamethrower can kill all of them in a single action if you line it up right), then use Edelweiss to to destroy the AT gun on the roof near the north base and destroy the tank there. Use a Scout to capture the middle base and move an Engineer there. Be sure to position your tanks so they don't get destroyed from a radiator shot.

Turn 2/3: Have a Scout capture the north enemy base, then move onto the roof to kill the Sniper and Lancer, and drop down in the alley in the north. Use the Scout/Engineer/Shamrock team to capture the southwest base. Move Edelweiss towards the northwest base.

Turn 4: Use Edelweiss and scout to destroy the enemies near the northwest base (including tank) and capture it, then summon some Lancers and an Engineer.

Turn 5+: Ty the Immortal (Ace) will be in the alley due south on the map, and you can send Scouts/Shocktroopers to kill him (beware that he dodges - a lot). Whenever you're ready, use Lancers/Edelweiss to destroy the armor on Lupus, then destroy it with a radiator shot.

The problem is that my lancers barely do any damage to him. I'd say they take about 15% of it's armor with a single shot. Their potentials that have double tank damage won't activate either. I even tried using the penetration order and that didn't work at all.

gokieks

ezekial45 said:
The problem is that my lancers barely do any damage to him. I'd say they take about 15% of it's armor with a single shot. Their potentials that have double tank damage won't activate either. I even tried using the penetration order and that didn't work at all.

That's normal. You either need to save up a ton of CP to be able to destroy it within a single turn, or capture all the bases so he won't have his armor repaired, and then you can destroy it over 2/3 turns.

ezekial45 said:

Awaken Potential FTW. I was able to defeat this boss in one turn with one Lancer at level 20. Skirmish #7 can be easily grinded for about 60k every couple of minutes, so do a google/youtube search if you're willing to spend a little time to get your Lancers to level 20.

ezekial45

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Awaken Potential FTW. I was able to defeat this boss in one turn with one Lancer at level 20. Skirmish #7 can be easily grinded for about 60k every couple of minutes, so do a google/youtube search if you're willing to spend a little time to get your Lancers to level 20.

Yeah, i saw that video. I'm not sure if i wanna go through all the trouble of grinding out my lancers. I'm was using Largo, btw. Is there a better lancer i should use?

gokieks

Valkyr Junkie said:

Skirmish 7 is the
Recapture of Bruhl
mission, and you don't need Lancers for that at all, just a Scout and a Sniper. Skirmish 9 is the one that corresponds to the Ch. 17 mission, and that one you can complete in one turn without even using any Lancers if you have the Demolition Boost order -
you can just have one Scout run all the way west to behind the enemy base and then kill the tank and soldiers to capture it.

gokieks

ezekial45 said:

That's not really any "easier" than how I do it, which is use a Sniper to kill the two standing enemies first, then have the Scout (Alicia) run by while killing the crouched enemy on first action. On second action have her run to the base (via left side to take less damage) and grenade the crouched enemy, then just kill the gun. Depending on the weapon she has (Imperial or Royal), there may be CP left over to have the Sniper kill the Sniper leader on the rooftop of the left side building. It takes barely any more time than the way the video shows it (still a 1 turn complete), and you get extra EXP/DCT from killing those leaders.

gokieks said:
Skirmish 7 is the
Recapture of Bruhl
mission, and you don't need Lancers for that at all, just a Scout and a Sniper. Skirmish 9 is the one that corresponds to the Ch. 17 mission, and that one you can complete in one turn without even using any Lancers if you have the Demolition Boost order -
you can just have one Scout run all the way west to behind the enemy base and then kill the tank and soldiers to capture it.

I know that. I was telling him to grind Skirmish 7 since it's the easiest, and then when his Lancers are level 20 he should then go after Ch 17 again.

ezekial45 said:
Yeah, i saw that video. I'm not sure if i wanna go through all the trouble of grinding out my lancers. I'm was using Largo, btw. Is there a better lancer i should use?

It isn't that much trouble; probably less than half an hour. I hate Largo as he always seemed to miss easy shots for me early in the game, and that pretty much resorted him to just being deployed and used for nothing other than his CP bonus. I like to use gay Bender ..............errrr Jann as well as Hector.

masterkajo

I also finished the game today... best strategy game IMO.
And the story is exactly my taste... I even cried during the ending sequences.

Game of the forever!

dkeane

Just beat chapter 7 on my second try and got a B!
This game is sooooo good.

Any desktop pics floating around for this game?

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Finished the game. It got in my mind so much that when I was walking in real life I was thinking that my movement meter would run out hehehehe

The storytelling was not so good, they need to get some better writers or something. It was bad anime storytelling. Not all the time though.

Anyways good game overall.

navii said:
Finished the game. It got in my mind so much that when I was walking in real life I was thinking that my movement meter would run out hehehehe

I found myself doing similar - finding the optimal path to get from point A to point B. I've always been like that, but never so consciously thinking about Valkyria Chronicles like that.

Vdragoon

This game is so good, the best I've played in a long time. Prior to finishing it today I had actually dreamed of strategies to use in battle.

Despite all of the praise its receiving though, it still isn't doing well which is a shame because I'd rather be playing this over many games that are on the market that are doing quite well. I wish people would pay more attention to reviews because high ratings are all this game is getting. Because of the low sales, a sequel of some sort doesn't seem likely. Come on people start buying!

On a side note; this game is receiving many GOTY awards such as Best Game Nobody Played, Best Strategy, and Best JRPG. Good to see the recognition it deserves.

Darkpen

Banned
RpgN said:
That's some nitpick there, Darkpen :lol Was there anything you liked about the game?
Of course! I liked several squad members that I used the most, but later I started switching them out to unlock everyone's potentials. I enjoyed the story, but wish there was more meat to it. Same applies to the somewhat lack of depth for the characters themselves.

Its a good game, but I hunger for more character exploration.

Darkpen

Banned
navii said:

The storytelling was not so good, they need to get some better writers or something. It was bad anime storytelling. Not all the time though.

Anyways good game overall.
While I wouldn't call it outright bad writing, it does leave me with wanting more. The material's there, its just not being entirely used.

And yeah, falling asleep after a heavy VC session ends up with me almost hallucinating in the morning :lol

Darkpen

Banned
So just out of curiosity, who here played all of the battles without outside help (i.e. GAF, any FAQs, etc. I guess other people watching would technically count, but at the same time, not really).

Because I did D:

I mean, I'll admit I went to gamefaqs to find out that you unlock Emile and Lynn through purposely killing off their counterparts, but that's pretty much it. As far as battles were concerned, they were just either me being smart about how I went about things (i.e. using a tank for cover), or just kept on retrying the battle until I fully understood what the battle required. That's one of the bad things about the game: it doesn't tell you exactly what you need, despite giving you hints.

Speaking of Emile, though, he's unavailable, along with his brother, in my complete save file, unlike Karl and Lynn. What's up with that? Why aren't they both present? Do I need to do something that makes them appear as recruitable again?

patsu

Well... the only help I got was for the last battle. That's because I was too busy and wanted to finish the game before the holiday.

ukiraros

I didn't read any strategies at gamefaqs or GAF to advanced through the game other than to see how many turns to maintain an A rank mission.

However, I did read on how to recruit other characters though.

Oscar and Karl do not need to be permanently killed in battle in order to get Emile and Lynn. Just unlock their hidden potential and let them fall in combat and use the Medic to get them back. Once I finished the game everyone in my squad is alive.

All this time I thought you can only have 50 people in the squad because I remember reading about it in this thread. But it turns out I could up to 52, this does not include Musaad.

Darkpen

Banned
ukiraros said:
I didn't read any strategies at gamefaqs or GAF to advanced through the game other than to see how many turns to maintain an A rank mission.

However, I did read on how to recruit other characters though.

Oscar and Karl do not need to be permanently killed in battle in order to get Emile and Lynn. Just unlock their hidden potential and let them fall in combat and use the Medic to get them back. Once I finished the game everyone in my squad is alive.

All this time I thought you can only have 50 people in the squad because I remember reading about it in this thread. But it turns out I could up to 52, this does not include Musaad.
...wait, how many people are there in total, though? And I totally didn't know they only needed to fall in battle :(

Dammit, where the hell is Emile :( I can recruit them again, right?

I think the game is amazing, but the character design is a big turn off for a lot of people, I bet. It looks like that sort of non-specific global anime look, like western nerd kids drawing a webcomic faces, but gorgeous detailing. The front cover makes it look like a Xenosaga sort of affair.

I don't know how else they could have done it, but purple-haired doe-eyed girls takes you one way, and Advance Wars thickly drawn portraits take you another. I don't know that the current look appeals to too many people who may walk past it in a shop.

So.... just paid 50,000 DCT for some beach action. Good to know that fan service is alive and well.

Other than that, I've got a question concerning orders. I was given the opportunity to "purchase" an order from the war cemetery, but I didn't have enough EXP at the time. Now, it's no longer being offered. I doubt it'll return over time, but I was wondering if these orders will be available again in a second playthrough.

Lilsnubby

SabinFigaro said:
So.... just paid 50,000 DCT for some beach action. Good to know that fan service is alive and well.

Other than that, I've got a question concerning orders. I was given the opportunity to "purchase" an order from the war cemetery, but I didn't have enough EXP at the time. Now, it's no longer being offered. I doubt it'll return over time, but I was wondering if these orders will be available again in a second playthrough.

Talk about taking "fan service" and running with it...

http://www.shopncsx.com/images/view.aspx?imageUrl=/images/products/detail/senba.jpg

I don't remember Selvaria wearing that getup in game. Is it wrong to want these?

Issun23

SabinFigaro said:

Different orders appear each time you load the game. They don't depend on chapter progress. There is a set pool of orders you can buy from the cemetery. Each time you load a save the game picks an order from that pool (or picks no order) and gives you the option to learn it. So the order you missed will likely re-appear another time.

ukiraros

Darkpen said:
...wait, how many people are there in total, though? And I totally didn't know they only needed to fall in battle :(

Dammit, where the hell is Emile :( I can recruit them again, right?

With Musaad it's 53 total. You'll get him when you start a new game+.

Like I wrote earlier, have Oscar and Karl unlock their hidden potential. In order to unlock their hidden potential just play the 1st skirmish and let them kill enemy leaders a couple times, revive a fallen comrade, and/or capture a base. Once you have done this go and see Ellet and she would say something about an interview of the new rising star. Now let them fall in combat and have a medic save them. Once you have done this go to Command Room and they should be available.

Well if Oscar is still alive then you can still recruit him. Unless he is already dead then it's a No. You can still get Emile if you play the game again.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
is there anything special about these unlockable characters? Interesting personalities or potentials or are they just another face you had to work to collect?

Darkpen

Banned
ukiraros said:
With Musaad it's 53 total. You'll get him when you start a new game+.

Like I wrote earlier, have Oscar and Karl unlock their hidden potential. In order to unlock their hidden potential just play the 1st skirmish and let them kill enemy leaders a couple times, revive a fallen comrade, and/or capture a base. Once you have done this go and see Ellet and she would say something about an interview of the new rising star. Now let them fall in combat and have a medic save them. Once you have done this go to Command Room and they should be available.

Well if Oscar is still alive then you can still recruit him. Unless he is already dead then it's a No. You can still get Emile if you play the game again.
well, the thing is, this is now my game completed file, and its wonky. Karl, who I purposely killed, is back, yet Emile is missing, as is Oscar. Maybe its a chapter-to-chapter thing...

Darkpen said:
So just out of curiosity, who here played all of the battles without outside help (i.e. GAF, any FAQs, etc. I guess other people watching would technically count, but at the same time, not really).

Because I did D:

i'm doing it... purposely avoiding reading anything spoilerriffic or FAQerrific at all. i try and stay out of this thread too (mostly..) saving A grades for a 2nd playthrough, just enjoying the game for now :)

Darkpen

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
I think the game is amazing, but the character design is a big turn off for a lot of people, I bet. It looks like that sort of non-specific global anime look, like western nerd kids drawing a webcomic faces, but gorgeous detailing. <snip b/c Im typing from a PS3>
If you've been around anime and manga for long enough, you wouldn't say that. I equate the 3D style they used to what I call "sterile" anime: anatomy look's right, eyes look pretty general, and nothing screams "this was made by one person." If you ever get the chance to look at the concept art for the game, such as the art in the VC preorder bonus "Limited Edition Art Book," its pretty clear there were compromises made in the transition from 2D to 3D. The concept art has head drawings for various exaggerated expressions, but those obviously didn't make the cut.

Besides, I think your impression of western anime artists need to be expanded a bit. They're not all terrible, like some comic artists I can think of in particur

Issun23

Chapter 17, 50 hours, all classes Level 16. Tried the next battle... o_O How am I supposed to beat this? :lol

I can't wait to finish the game to start again.

Baha

Darkpen said:
well, the thing is, this is now my game completed file, and its wonky. Karl, who I purposely killed, is back, yet Emile is missing, as is Oscar. Maybe its a chapter-to-chapter thing...

In new game+ the recruit list is randomized again. If they died in your 1st playthrough, they'll be available in new game+ irregardless (thankfully too). You can either wait till they show up again or keep reloading your save file at the beginning of a new chapter.

w1ndst0rm

I beat the
big tank
battle at the end of chapter 7 my first time through.

I do believe that that level is one of the top 5 video game levels I have ever played.

I was going out of my mind and freaking out the whole time; great set up by the game makers. And then the
shiney blue chick shows up
and medics start flying all over the place and I am short on ammo - and then I won. The level was great fun. I enjoyed feeling like I was getting my butt kicked the whole time. It also felt good because it took me a couple times to beat the previous level.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Another small, possibly dumb question: Are there any cutscenes after the status reports? (end of battle, shows rank, money, exp, etc) I've been hitting X after they show up and just wanted to ask.

Top Bottom