• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Wrapped the game up today. Managed to get through without doing any skirmishes. Got a few A ranks too.

Liked it over all, but the final boss was a bit lame (plot wise, the mission was tough!) I'll forgive it though. Excellent game, A++ would play again.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Haunted said:
Really? It's readily available everywhere here (UK/Germany).

Maybe I shouldn't sell it after finishing the main story after all. :D

It seems in Europe the game is easy to find, compared to North America.

I'm at Chapter 4, and while I do love the game, I've got a complaint... I'm pissed that they give your units a percentage chance of making a shot instead of having a finite range for the weapons. This coupled with the saving system just leads to people saving their game before every attack and loading it if it misses and waiting for the long load time to get back in the game.

Issun23

Hcoregamer00 said:
It seems in Europe the game is easy to find, compared to North America.

Not really, the biggest online retailers in England do not have the game in stock. My friend had trouble finding it.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
polyh3dron said:
people saving their game before every attack and loading it if it misses and waiting for the long load time to get back in the game.

too much time on their hands if they do this all the time.

RpgN

Issun23 said:
Not really, the biggest online retailers in England do not have the game in stock. My friend had trouble finding it.

And (if that means anything) here we have the game in stock only in one store, and we do many many stores here in Holland :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
polyh3dron said:
This coupled with the saving system just leads to people saving their game before every attack and loading it if it misses and waiting for the long load time to get back in the game.

Never be shocked by how far people will go to prevent themselves from being challenged.

Issun23

RpgN said:
And (if that means anything) here we have the game in stock only in one store, and we do many many stores here in Holland :lol

The problem's everywhere. Italy have a shortage too. Sega, make more copies. :D

Darkpen

Banned
Danielsan said:
I've finally properly started on Valkyria Chronicles today. I'm at chapter 5 and so far I'm loving it. I have one gripe though. It appears that the game only rewards the player for rushing to the enemy base as fast as possible.
Then you'll be glad to know that there are several missions where the game demands differing objectives every so often (like the last Jaeger fight).

Issun23 said:
lol wat

I'll watch it, but I remain skeptical of just how they go about it. I mean, everyone has their favorite characters, whether its Lynn, Freesia, Marina, Edy, or whoever, unless they mostly stick to the main cast.

comedian

polyh3dron said:
This coupled with the saving system just leads to people saving their game before every attack and loading it if it misses and waiting for the long load time to get back in the game.

If you save after every shot -_-, I didnt know you could save in a battle until chapter 14 which made everything a lot more tense and despite some "ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" moments I found it was more challenging then when i started to save before i ended my turn: Something about thinking everything fine, get raped during their turn and having to adjust makes it seem more real and therefore i can be draged into the game better.

Dedalus

Oh damn I had no idea you could save during battles! :lol don't think I will though, absolutely LOVE the tension that comes with the encounters, almost like a game of chess :D

Shito

polyh3dron said:
I'm at Chapter 4, and while I do love the game, I've got a complaint... I'm pissed that they give your units a percentage chance of making a shot instead of having a finite range for the weapons. This coupled with the saving system just leads to people saving their game before every attack and loading it if it misses and waiting for the long load time to get back in the game.
I don't know if you understood it (it took me a while), but the shots are going to spread *within* the reticle's circle, meaning you can minimize the chance of a miss by trying to put the most of the enemy's body in it. This is made so in order to make headshots more difficult to get. As you level up, you'll unlock better weapons, with smaller circles.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Shito said:
I don't know if you understood it (it took me a while), but the shots are going to spread *within* the reticle's circle, meaning you can minimize the chance of a miss by trying to put the most of the enemy's body in it. This is made so in order to make headshots more difficult to get. As you level up, you'll unlock better weapons, with smaller circles.

And then there's the weapons that don't have any circle at all. :D

Shito said:

Head shots are still easy to accomplish. When you're within range with a shocktrooper, firing 20 shots, and the amount of headshots required are 3, you'll most likely land your 3 headshots. Crouching enemies that require 15 headshots? Blank range will do it no problem. Rosie! Strong Will that sucker!!

Asbel

I'm sad I only recently heard of this game as I'm a big Skies of Arcadia fan and would have gotten this day one knowing it's from Overworks. There's quite a few things in the presentation of VC that's from or similar to SoA like the menus, sound effects and order commands. I quite like Aika's english voice acting (Bang Bang Bang Baby!) but Vyse's laugh is a little too sinister for his character...

But on to VC, this game is growing on me. I'm up to Ch 8 now and the graphics still surprise me at how much it looks like 2D drawings. Just beautiful. They should just use this graphics engine for the anime since it looks better than most anime anyway. But I digress, the combat in VC gets more fun the more I learn its potential. I had thought scouts sucked at first and shocktroopers were best but have turned a 180 with scouts and engineers leaving shocktroopers far behind of where the fighting takes place.

polyh3dron said:
Actually, even ignoring the accuracy effects there is an effective range to weapons. Outside it, they do much, much less damage (basically negligible).

As far as the saving goes, SEGA made it as flexible as possible. If someone wants to save after every turn, that's their choice (and one way to overcome the game's comparatively high difficulty). If you'd rather not, just don't. Like the optional install, I think this is the best way to accommodate all tastes.

Plus save-(almost)anywhere allows even more strict play styles. For example, on my second playthrough I plan to save after every move, but only ever have one save file. Bad luck, good luck, people dying--I won't be able to change any of it. And if I hit a part I can't do? Then Gallia just lost the war. That's unlikely, since I'll be using my overpowered characters, but I really like the idea of treating the past, no matter what happens, as unchangeable. It fits well into the theme of the game.

ianp622

Liabe Brave said:
Actually, even ignoring the accuracy effects there is an effective range to weapons. Outside it, they do much, much less damage (basically negligible).

As far as the saving goes, SEGA made it as flexible as possible. If someone wants to save after every turn, that's their choice (and one way to overcome the game's comparatively high difficulty). If you'd rather not, just don't. Like the optional install, I think this is the best way to accommodate all tastes.

Plus save-(almost)anywhere allows even more strict play styles. For example, on my second playthrough I plan to save after every move, but only ever have one save file. Bad luck, good luck, people dying--I won't be able to change any of it. And if I hit a part I can't do? Then Gallia just lost the war. That's unlikely, since I'll be using my overpowered characters, but I really like the idea of treating the past, no matter what happens, as unchangeable. It fits well into the theme of the game.

I plan on doing something similar to that as well. The fact that characters can die forever gives the possibility of a very strong emotional impact (especially if I already know the characters' personalities and have a good enough grasp of the gameplay that I don't lose people to stupid mistakes). I think this emotional impact is removed by being able to reload saves, because I am compelled to avoid any sadness I would get from losing a character that I like, especially because it would be entirely my fault (and not predetermined by the game itself).

I rented this from GF and played it for about 5 hours and loved it, so today I went and bought it :D. I can't wait to really dive in!

lupin23rd

Love the game so far, but a little confused by something.

Since the jobs level up as opposed to the characters, is there any incentive to using other characters that ones you select initially?

(Other than the Potentials they have)

eg. If I skirmish 100 times and use the same 9 characters every time, nothing changes right?

Shadow780

lupin23rd said:

Since the jobs level up as opposed to the characters, is there any incentive to using other characters that ones you select initially?

eg. If I skirmish 100 times and use the same 9 characters every time, nothing changes right?

nope, but leaders (those who carries extra CPs) and Skies of Arcadia characters have higher stats when on the same level. You should always employ leaders, the rest depends on your taste.

lupin23rd said:

The game encourages you to swap characters to unlock their hidden potentials and their bios. I forget the actual formula, but a certain number of "points" are awarded for certain actions (i.e. deploy = 1 point). It doesn't add anything gameplay wise (although some characters will have mad awesome potentials), but it adds background to each character.

gokieks

lupin23rd said:

In order to unlock each recruit's final potential, along with their full back story in the Personnel tab, you have to use them enough that Ellet will do a story on them (she'll say something like "I've got a writeup on a rising star in Squad 7" when you visit her in Barracks). It doesn't require much - maybe one or two battles, depending on how long they are and what actions they take.

Ramune

Last battle I did was the one with
The "Batomys", Maximillian's giant tank
and it just got mighty epic with everyone dying left and right once
Selvaria and her reinforcements
showed up. All that was left was Welkin in his tank and Yoko, and the latter died rescuing the injured as much as she could before getting blasted. Almost felt like starting the battle over, but there was just something compelling that despite the odds, I couldn't give up. The Edelweiss was rescuing the remaining casualties and reinforcements on my side finally came and took down the tank JUST before it could reach the final camp. And I got a C instead of my usual D. This game is just too awesome! :lol

Edit: In retrospect, almost sounded like I lost Yoko forever in that battle. No, I haven't lost one member of my team yet thank goodness!

Brandson

Baha said:
If you're in the US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016C3260/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you're in Canada....Ok this is weird, Valkyria Chronicles was removed from the VideoGamesPlus online store...and amazon.ca is still out of stock...

I ordered it from amazon.ca when it was out of stock in early December. I got an email yesterday saying it shipped to me, even though Amazon.ca's page still shows it as out of stock if you place an order now. You could always try ordering. Maybe they'll be able to fill new orders in a few weeks. Amazon.ca's price is the best I've seen anywhere anyway.

Brandson said:
I ordered it from amazon.ca when it was out of stock in early December. I got an email yesterday saying it shipped to me, even though Amazon.ca's page still shows it as out of stock if you place an order now. You could always try ordering. Maybe they'll be able to fill new orders in a few weeks. Amazon.ca's price is the best I've seen anywhere anyway.

Could be that they're filling their backorders and there is never enough left over for it to actually be in stock. Order it from amazon.ca if you can. You don't have to actually pay until they ship it anyway, so there is no loss at all.

TommyT

shuri said:
That game is sold out everywhere :(

Sadly it seems not many stores had many copies to begin with. Every GS I've been to only has 1 or 2 in stock (which means hopefully they're just making it seem they're short on copies?)...

patsu

Heh, you guys make me feel like I should add all of you to my friends list. Can't thank people enough for recognizing VC.

Hobbun

patsu said:
Heh, you guys make me feel like I should add all of you to my friends list. Can't thank people enough for recognizing VC.

Agreed. We need more people recognizing (and buying) this game as much as possible.

*prays for VC 2*

ianp622

I kind of wish we could set up some kind of donation to get a Valkyria Chronicles 2. And I haven't even finished this one yet.

Hobbun

ianp622 said:
I kind of wish we could set up some kind of donation to get a Valkyria Chronicles 2. And I haven't even finished this one yet.

I know there has been a lot of doom and gloom in this thread about seeing a sequel because of how poorly the game sold. However, I am hoping that Sega already took this account beforehand (i.e., the low print run).

Sometimes companies will already take into account the game 'will' do poorly and try to make up for it with a sequel if the game scores well in reviews (which VC did).

I don't think it is too far reaching considering the engine is already built and that is the majority of the cost (barring advertising). I remain hopeful we will see a VC 2.

I can see this game being hard to grab later on due to lack of copies floating around trade and regular sales, I would buy it soon if you are thinking about it. To note I hardly seen it around in the retail stores around here.

No45

Hobbun said:
Agreed. We need more people recognizing (and buying) this game as much as possible.

*prays for VC 2*
I bought it because it's beautiful and because I want to support games that think a little differently (And I love SoA). Haven't even played it yet... and I'm not a huge fan of SRPGs (Loved Jeanne D'Arc, FFT scares the shit out of me). :lol

<3 though. Definitely going to play it at some point.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
TouchMyBox said:
Just got this game in the mail, I'm on chapter 3 and it's pretty tits so far. Does it get even better later on?

Yes, if you think that by Chapter 3 is good, the game will keep getting better and better and better and then you will not want to take it out of your system.

comedian

TouchMyBox said:
Just got this game in the mail, I'm on chapter 3 and it's pretty tits so far. Does it get even better later on?

Thougth I'm assuming you mean "tits" in the "it's great" sense, in england when describing something and calling it "tits" usually means it's shit.

Btw, the game goes from strenth to GOD as you keep going.

Ferrio

Banned
comedian said:
Thougth I'm assuming you mean "tits" in the "it's great" sense, in england when describing something and calling it "tits" usually means it's shit.

Btw, the game goes from strenth to GOD as you keep going.

I'm confused how tits could be considered bad in any sense :(

Duderz

Banned
I haven't posted at all in this thread, but I just finished the game last night and loved it all the way through. The entire time it felt like a next-gen, real-time Fire Emblem, and that's probably the highest compliment I can give a game.

Aside from a few minor quibbles I would recommend this game to anyone who likes RPGs and strategy games. The graphics were great, the story was typical anime-ish but I still enjoyed it nonetheless, although I wish they had expanded some more on certain characters such as Selvaria and Maximilian, particularly towards the end when
he talks about his grand design and all in the final map.

What a great, complete package. A very satisfying ending to boot, which I needed after the WTF of certain other game endings...

Bring on the DLC, Sega! (I still can't believe this came from them!)

radiantdreamer said:
Head shots are still easy to accomplish. When you're within range with a shocktrooper, firing 20 shots, and the amount of headshots required are 3, you'll most likely land your 3 headshots. Crouching enemies that require 15 headshots? Blank range will do it no problem.

I don't think headshots make any difference on a crouching foe.

comedian

yep, sollution: Blow up what ever they're crouching against,use your flamethrower, run closs enougth with a shocktroper and kill hiss ass !

Top Bottom