• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmm, I love Fire Emblem. Mass Effect, though, was a fucking mess. Never played Sakura Taisen. I should pop this in, one of these days, shouldn't I?

How action-orientated is the combat, exactly?

w1ndst0rm

Darkpen said:
actually, no. Even if you get behind them, it still won't let you occupy. They need to either be blown out of the base zone, or die.

I have done it twice now. Once on the desert level in the story and once on the desert level in skirmish. So I dunno what to tell ya. The shock trooper just stood there. Unless it was because all of the sand bags were gone.

ianp622

Mejilan said:
Hmm, I love Fire Emblem. Mass Effect, though, was a fucking mess. Never played Sakura Taisen. I should pop this in, one of these days, shouldn't I?

I often eat breakfast while I'm playing, if that helps to give you an idea.

Hobbun

w1ndst0rm said:
I have done it twice now. Once on the desert level in the story and once on the desert level in skirmish. So I dunno what to tell ya. The shock trooper just stood there. Unless it was because all of the sand bags were gone.

Are you sure he wasn't standing on the other side of the sandbags?

comedian

ianp622 said:
I often eat breakfast while I'm playing, if that helps to give you an idea.

Bloody hell, no way i could xD that said my strategy usually involve getting my guys very close before shooting :> zigzag 4tw !

Any word on a trophy patch for this game? I'm working through all the games I picked up over the holiday, and was considering starting Valkyria next, but if there is a patch forthcoming, I can hold off for a while.

comedian said:
Havent heard of anything, and don't think there will ever be (would be cool thougth :D )

I figured as much. It's not quite the type of game that necessitates trophies either. I guess I'll start it up tonight then!

Issun23

RedNumberFive said:
Any word on a trophy patch for this game? I'm working through all the games I picked up over the holiday, and was considering starting Valkyria next, but if there is a patch forthcoming, I can hold off for a while.

There are in-game trophies though, in the form of medals.

w1ndst0rm

Hobbun said:
Are you sure he wasn't standing on the other side of the sandbags?

Maybe, but he had just arrived as a reinforcement that turn and the sandbags were blown away before he got there. And the computer didn't use him.

I also did it in the mission
where you need to get Welks back to the tank.
I moved the tank in on the last base (again destroying the sandbags) and ran a Scout in while the lone Shocktrooper fired into the front of my tank. This has been a big part of my strategy.

Mejilan said:

Let me put it this way: I like it. So go play it.

I never played Sakura Taisen (only watched the OVA), but the characters' and their charm are REALLY similar with Valkyria Chronicles.

I would not call it Fire Emblem meets Mass Effect. Not by a long shot. That's just shoehorning.

I'd just call it a wicked TBSRPG with some small but very cool elements of action. Still a TBSRPG at it's roots, and would have done okay without the action bit, but the action bit really adds an effective layer of gameplay.

Story isn't smashingly awesome, but the character's and their charm really help keep you in the game. The quirks for the non-main characters are also excellent with driving the gameplay.

You can hear people on the forum talking about the non-main characters, such as Dallas, Edy, Herbert, Cherry, etc. And if you've never played the game, you'd think they were story characters. That's how good this game is.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I like your description better, thanks.
I don't at all mind action in my RPGs, just when it's very poorly done (such as with Mass Effect!)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:
It reminds me a lot of Fire Emblem too for some reason.

Ps. I'm at chapter 17 now and just afraid to play more, I'm afraid to finish it :(

Ps 2, where are you Hcoregamer00? You haven't been here for a while. I hope you're not bothered about what some member said to you here?

No, don't worry about that. I haven't been here in a while for a simple reason, I haven't been playing Valkyria Chronicles.

My time is being monopolized by Skip Beat (the Manga), Undegraduate Thesis (no sleep), Persona 4, and Tales of Vesperia (bought my little brother a Jasper 360 for Christmas).

XiaNaphryz said:
Speaking of, I still dunno why he switched his avatar over from Dahlia. After finishing VC, I saw nothing to indicate Selvaria is anywhere near as evil as Dahlia was (which if I'm remembering right, was part of the justification for the switch over).

Simple, Dahlia is evil, but Selvaria is easier to relate to.

Selvaria blindly followed someone for love, Dahlia was just an evil girl. My cousin also named his daughter Dahlia, so I don't want to jinx my niece.

Hopefully no one in my extended family names their daughter Selvaria, Selvie, or something to that effect.

Asbel

Mejilan said:
I don't at all mind action in my RPGs, just when it's very poorly done (such as with Mass Effect!)
You get to play as Vyse and Aika as secondary characters in your squad and there is a lot of influence from SoA with everything in this game (main cast, crew, presentation, light-hearted, etc.) besides combat.

Even besides that, this is a great game in its own right.

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, don't worry about that. I haven't been here in a while for a simple reason, I haven't been playing Valkyria Chronicles.

My time is being monopolized by Skip Beat (the Manga), Undegraduate Thesis (no sleep), Persona 4, and Tales of Vesperia (bought my little brother a Jasper 360 for Christmas).

Selvaria blindly followed someone for love, Dahlia was just an evil girl. My cousin also named his daughter Dahlia, so I don't want to jinx my niece.

Hopefully no one in my extended family names their daughter Selvaria, Selvie, or something to that effect.

I've always associated the name "Dahlia" as being an evil character ever since Silent Hill 1. *shudder*

I agree, nobody is as evil as Dahlia. Sorry about your niece, but that's how I feel.

Asbel said:
You get to play as Vyse and Aika as secondary characters in your squad and there is a lot of influence from SoA with everything in this game (main cast, crew, presentation, light-hearted, etc.) besides combat.

Even besides that, this is a great game in its own right.

This makes me want to play SoA.

Mejilan said:

Whatever it takes to get you to play it and start spreading the love.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I needs help! Spoilers obviously.

I'm on Chapter 15
"Selvaria's Last Stand" where you're in the citadel trying to get to Selvaria. She keeps shooting anyone I send that way. I tried firing a smoke grenade in front of her to block her view, but that didn't work. What can I do?

patsu

RurouniZel said:

I'm on Chapter 15
"Selvaria's Last Stand" where you're in the citadel trying to get to Selvaria. She keeps shooting anyone I send that way. I tried firing a smoke grenade in front of her to block her view, but that didn't work. What can I do?

That was the hardest level for me.

I used "Awaken All Potential" and run under cover as much as possible before trying to corner her with all my troopers.

I think the smoke screen will help if you hide your characters inside. It's useless if you try to smoke Selvaria. She'd just run all over the place to find a line-o-sight to your soldiers.

Syntek

RurouniZel said:

I'm on Chapter 15

Give defense boost to scout and just run for it and hope for the best. Works for practically everything.

Asbel

radiantdreamer said:
This makes me want to play SoA.
Based on your reasons for liking VC below:
Story isn't smashingly awesome, but the character's and their charm really help keep you in the game. The quirks for the non-main characters are also excellent with driving the gameplay.
This is exactly why people love SoA and why you would really enjoy it.

I would seriously love a SoA with VC graphics and modified combat for melee weapons.

I feel bad for Sega when they make fun and innovative games like these but get poor sales.

patsu

Syntek said:
Give defense boost to scout and just run for it and hope for the best. Works for practically everything.

I needed to use "Awaken All Potentials" because after evading her fire, you'd still need to nail her with guns. I could only do so if "Undodgeable Shot" was active.

Tried to flank her a couple of times without potential, it never worked for me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
patsu said:
That was the hardest level for me.

I used "Awaken All Potential" and run under cover as much as possible before trying to corner her with all my troopers.

I think the smoke screen will help if you hide your characters inside. It's useless if you try to smoke Selvaria. She'd just run all over the place to find a line-o-sight to your soldiers.

Does that help even in the beginning of the battle? Because I can't even get one character out of the starting position for very long before getting bullet-raped!

EDIT: Also, what does Alicia's "Valkyria" potential actually do?

comedian

Syntek said:
I need help chapter 15

Technique i used for chapter 15:

First control Shamrock, shot the tank to your right and place him so he'll protect your men from fire, have a lancer control 2-3 times using shamorck as coverfrom selvaria to finish off the tank, smoke grenade your base which will make selvaria useless and still using eildehess position him so hell give your guys some protection from selvaria and allow you to get as close as possible to the machine gun to your left. Don't go all the way up the stairs with a scout and shocktroper as selvaria will kill your ass. Use a smoke grenade on the stairs next turn to get some protection from selvaria as your shocktrooper and scout go up. After this it's get a lot simpler. Going to the right is possible only that up the stairs is a machine gun making life a bit harder. This is how i started the mission(took me 3 hour to get this strategy) good luck from there.

patsu

RurouniZel said:
Does that help even in the beginning of the battle? Because I can't even get one character out of the starting position for very long before getting bullet-raped!

Yes, smoke grenade on your own team will work in any level.

EDIT:
Also, what does Alicia's "Valkyria" potential actually do?

Deflect fire temporarily.

w1ndst0rm said:
Maybe, but he had just arrived as a reinforcement that turn and the sandbags were blown away before he got there. And the computer didn't use him.
Ah, maybe reinforcements don't count as defenders? I've never encountered that situation myself, but could be.

w1ndst0rm said:
I moved the tank in on the last base (again destroying the sandbags) and ran a Scout in while the lone Shocktrooper fired into the front of my tank. This has been a big part of my strategy.
Well, if you destroyed the sandbags the guy was hiding behind, you almost certainly knocked him out of the way as well. If he stood up just outside the line where the sandbags were, the base would be capturable. Given my own experience, I still don't think it's possible to capture a base that has live enemies inside its borders (with the possible exception of reinforcements, as stated above).

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
I've always associated the name "Dahlia" as being an evil character ever since Silent Hill 1. *shudder*

I agree, nobody is as evil as Dahlia. Sorry about your niece, but that's how I feel.

Trust me, I also associate the name Dahlia with evil.

If I would name my daughter with a videogame-related name, it would be Natalia since it is Russian in origin.

Selvaria sounds too strange :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:

Maybe I'm just confused then, as I thought the reason you switched it was that Selvaria was more evil than Dahlia, which isn't the case at all. :lol

I'll have to look through old posts at some point.

Hcoregamer00

XiaNaphryz said:
Maybe I'm just confused then, as I thought the reason you switched it was that Selvaria was more evil than Dahlia, which isn't the case at all. :lol

I'll have to look through old posts at some point.

Nah, I never imagined that Selvaria would be more evil than the ultimate Ace Attorney supervillain.

With that said, I was extremely disappointed in how they treated Selvaria in Valkyria Chronicles. I was hoping she would be far better developed and would even
betray Maximillian and join the "good guys."
I guess I was hoping that she was a "villain" the same way that
Judith was in Tales of Vesperia

Shouta

RurouniZel said:

I'm on Chapter 15

I did this map in about 4 or 5 turns as I recall. Theoretically can be done in 3 or so turns depending on the position of the boss. My strat was:

Only call on the folks that give you CP at the start of the map, i.e. all the story characters. Use Awaken Potential (I assume you have it), A Defense Boost order, and the one that gives you extra defense against interception fire on Alicia. Have her run up the side of the castle (I do the right side from where you start) using the stairs and avoid firing on enemies, just heal when you need to. If you're lucky, you'll get to the next flag on one or two moves (one if you have scouts high enough so Alicia has that move again skill). You'll probably be out of movement points for Alicia so I usually stop at the base for the next turn (as well as to conserve CP. If you need to, make sure your characters like Rosie and Largo are safe behind cover so Selvaria doesn't get them even at the starting base.

On the second turn, I apply the buffs to Alicia again and make a dash for the NE base, the one to the East of where Selvaria starts. When you get there, cap it. I then typically apply a Demolition boost so Alicia can take out the tank and then use the remaining CP I have to summon the rest of my troops. Preferably, two scouts, two troopers, and maybe a sniper.

Third turn, I advance on Selvaria taking out sniper's and junk on the way. Apply buffs like All Defense Boost and Awaken Potential. Depending on the position of Selvaria, you'll want to swing around her and try to shoot her from behind. It's not likely for the first character so what I do is take a scout, apply defense buffs and then run around so she turns away from the troopers. Once she's totally turned around, I rush a trooper up behind her and start firing. If the trooper is good, she'll either survive or duck the fire. You can then begin a alternating firing regime against Selvaria with your scout and trooper. If one dies, move others in until she's dead.

Rounds 4 and 5 are basically positioning in case she moves away. It's fairly unlikely that you'll get her on turn 3 but you never know!

gokieks

Ch. 15 is probably the hardest mission in the game if you're going for a "complete" victory (capture all bases, destroy all tanks/leaders) - the A rank requirement is quite lenient (8 or 9 turns?), but there's is very little margin for error in terms of everything you do, as you always have to consider where Selvaria is and where she has LOS, and there are a an absolute shit ton of units you need to take out on the map.

And for
the Valkyria potential, I believe it actually increases all stats, not just defense. I never actually found it all that useful though, since I tend to play very conservatively/methodically and rarely have her below 50% HP.

Durante

gokieks said:
Ch. 15 is probably the hardest mission in the game if you're going for a "complete" victory (capture all bases, destroy all tanks/leaders) - the A rank requirement is quite lenient (8 or 9 turns?), but there's is very little margin for error in terms of everything you do, as you always have to consider where Selvaria is and where she has LOS, and there are a an absolute shit ton of units you need to take out on the map.
I did it in 11 or 12 turns taking out everything, and without any cheesy tactics. I don't consider it as hard as some other missions, you just have to move deliberately and never keep units out of cover.

In terms of map layout it's one of my favourite missions, due mostly to the great need to pay attention to cover and how it forces you to plan each move carefully taking Selvaria's LOS into account.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
I did it in 11 or 12 turns taking out everything, and without any cheesy tactics. I don't consider it as hard as some other missions, you just have to move deliberately and never keep units out of cover.

In terms of map layout it's one of my favourite missions, due mostly to the great need to pay attention to cover and how it forces you to plan each move carefully taking Selvaria's LOS into account.

The mission also shows just how freaking awesome Selvaria is.

She has the movement of a scout, the firepower of a shocktrooper, and the accuracy of a sniper.

Too bad she never becomes an ally.

I found it really interesting to see the progression of my tactics throughout the game.

Early: use one or two characters, get slaughtered
Mid: effectively use entire team
Mid-Late: awaken potential + Alicia = broken

Ch. 15 is doable in 1 turn using uber-Alicia. With Undodgeable Shot, Alicia can headshot Selveria without missing.

By chapter 10, I had leveled Scouts enough for Alicia to learn Resist Crossfire, and then I A-ranked every mission thereafter. By the time Double Movement is learned, then Alicia should have Mysterious Body and
Valkyria
. I assume the developers made her broken on purpose, but probably for a second playthrough. I know this cheeses out of the game's difficulty, but on my replay I'm trying the missions with my entire team.

w1ndst0rm

I finished chapter 11 at about 2 this morning. This story keeps getting better and better.
I asked my wife to hold me so I could get to sleep.

Dedalus

Oh man, chapter 7 is hard as nails. Well, not hard, just very unforgiving
had half my squad wiped out when Selvaria showed up :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
Too bad she never becomes an ally.

Awww! Thanks for ruining that. :( I really hoped that her misguided soul would have been accepted by Squad 7, and she would find new and happy life for a great ending. Poor Selveria...

Asbel

Yes, more liberal use of spoiler tags please.

Dedalus said:
Oh man, chapter 7 is hard as nails. Well, not hard, just very unforgiving
had half my squad wiped out when Selvaria showed up :D
Were you able to save them? I was lucky enough to have no deaths on my first go at that stage but so many wounded. Had to use my tank to get the medic. She can't do anything to your tank.

Asbel said:
Yes, more liberal use of spoiler tags please.

Were you able to save them? I was lucky enough to have no deaths on my first go at that stage but so many wounded. Had to use my tank to get the medic. She can't do anything to your tank.

First try, everyone was wiped out. I was on the wrong side of the wall, and every stupid infantryman that came down to do minuscule damage to me was accompanied by Selveria's joint attacks, effectively killing ALL of my guys in one turn.

Second try, zero deaths. In fact, nobody fell below 80% health.

Hcoregamer00

radiantdreamer said:
Awww! Thanks for ruining that. :( I really hoped that her misguided soul would have been accepted by Squad 7, and she would find new and happy life for a great ending. Poor Selveria...

When the mission is called
Selvaria's last stand
there is no possible way that it would ever happen.

Blame Sega, Selvaria was just sex appeal, nothing more.

There were a myriad of ways they could have made her a better character.

Hcoregamer00

Regarding that Selvaria "spoiler" that I posted earlier that had no spoiler tag, it is better to learn about it now because if you are a Selvaria fan you WILL be pissed off at how SEGA treated her character by the time you reach the later missions.

Better to know now than to be extremely disappointed later on and hate that aspect of the game.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:

I'm glad to hear this, for a second I got a little worried. And lucky you! Enjoy ToV ^_^

Speaking of Selvaria, I think she was fine in the game. Perhaps they could have squeezed more story and events about her, but I don't feel her part is incomplete. The DLC pack of hers looks really good, to be able to control her and the empire. I hope we'll get this one too!

Regulus Terra, thanks! I didn't get the chance to play it.

Issun23

I liked Selvaria a lot and even though I wished she was treated a bit different, the conclusion of her story was still satisfying.

She showed respect to her enemy (Squad 7) and cared about her soldiers before blowing Ghirlandaio to bits.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
I'm glad to hear this, for a second I got a little worried. And lucky you! Enjoy ToV ^_^

Speaking of Selvaria, I think she was fine in the game. Perhaps they could have squeezed more story and events about her, but I don't feel her part is incomplete. The DLC pack of hers looks really good, to be able to control her and the empire. I hope we'll get this one too!

Regulus Terra, thanks! I didn't get the chance to play it.

I love Vesperia, it really is the best traditional RPG to come out this gen. Everything about the game is so top notch it isn't even funny.

As I posted earlier (about General Selvaria)...

I was hoping that Gen. Selvaria would be a "villain" in the sense that she opposed the good guys for a while. Later on, I was hoping that she would also join squad 7 by virtue of being with a fellow Valkyria. After lots of character development and background information, I was hoping that she would die a noble death by protecting her new friends.

With that she would have been more of a heroic character, a villain who ultimately saw the light. General Jaeger was the closest character to that, and even he was not developed as well as I would have preferred.

The way Sega developed her was way too black and white, I prefer nuanced characters since it is more like reality.

Issun23

Hcoregamer00 said:
I love Vesperia, it really is the best traditional RPG to come out this gen. Everything about the game is so top notch it isn't even funny.

As I posted earlier (about Selvaria)...

I was hoping that Selvaria would be a "villain" in the sense that she opposed the good guys for a while. Later on, I was hoping that she would also join squad 7 by virtue of being with a fellow Valkyria. After lots of character development and background information, I was hoping that she would die a noble death by protecting her new friends.

With that she would have been more of a heroic character, a villain who ultimately saw the light

The way Sega developed her was way too black and white, I prefer nuanced characters since it is more like reality.

But they made her leave Squad 7 unharmed, the squad that would lead Gallia to a victory against Maximillian.

Hcoregamer00

Issun23 said:
But they made her leave Squad 7 unharmed, the squad that would lead Gallia to a victory against Maximillian.

True, but it is annoying when you see that the Profiles had more detail on the characters background than what was explained in the game.

The one I remember being the most poignant about Selvaria was that
she loved cooking and tried to recreate dishes that her mother made.
Little details like that would have done a better job in making her easier to relate to.

Top Bottom