• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Koren said:
Scouts are your main tool for A-ranks ? Currently getting A mostly with shocks, lancers and snupers, I don't use scouts much.
If you can get A without scouts, go ahead and do it that way; it's more fun. Using scouts means you can clear them even faster, though. Scouts may be weak to interception fire, but if you find or clear a safer path for them they can get all the way across even the big maps in just a few CP. For example,
"Retaking Bruhl"
can be easily completed on your first turn with CP left over. Once you've leveled them up and gotten better rifles so their accuracy and damage are high, scouts are like marathon-running snipers.

Belgand

dollartaco said:
L2 and R2 to peek, I believe...

Obviously EXTREMELY helpful.

It's sort of in the manual, but not in any way that's really helpful or obvious "Sneak-in view/change viewpoint".

Durante

Add me to the list: I've been laughing at people for not knowing how to navigate the book menu with R2/L2, or do precision aiming with the d-pad, or heal themselves, but I didn't know about the corner peeking. Something new to try when the DLC is released!

I beat the ENTIRE game and then got all A ranks on clear game without every knowing you could HEAL your tank with an Engineer by targeting your glowing blue part.

TSA said:
I beat the ENTIRE game and then got all A ranks on clear game without every knowing you could HEAL your tank with an Engineer by targeting your glowing blue part.

WOAH. You can HEAL a tank?! WTF. Can ANYBODY heal a tank by targeting the radiator? I gotta find out!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
radiantdreamer said:
WOAH. You can HEAL a tank?! WTF. Can ANYBODY heal a tank by targeting the radiator? I gotta find out!

I don't think you even have to aim at the radiator specifically. Just have an engineer use his tool on the tank when he's close.

patsu

Sometimes I wonder how people complete their games. ^_^

You can have your Engineer *repair* a tank using his tool. Just point at the tank (anywhere !)

ianp622

TSA said:

Lol, that's the main reason to use engineers. Otherwise they're pretty much gimped scouts with mine-defusers (I know they refill ammo, but I rarely use that except for tanks and snipers).

I usually keep an engineer behind my tank so they don't get hit from fire.

I just lost my fist soldier in chapter 7. I was gonna reload, but the level was pretty tough for me, and I just barely beat it, hence I decided to save afterwards. The bastard killed my sniper and then ran up to her right away to finish her off, I was pretty heart-broken. Question, do you always get a replacement of the same class of any soldier who died in your pool? and can Commanding Officers such as Rosie die? and what happens if they do?

Durante

TouchMyBox said:
can Commanding Officers such as Rosie die? and what happens if they do?
I don't know the answer to your other question (I never lost a character ;)) but when a character that is relevant to the story (ie. COs) "dies" they just retreat. They can't be deployed again in the same battle but they don't die permanently.

patsu said:
Sometimes I wonder how people complete their games. ^_^

You can have your Engineer *repair* a tank using his tool. Just point at the tank (anywhere !)

That part I know.

But TSA says you can HEAL a tank, IE use Ragnite on it is what I'm assuming he's saying.

Durante said:
I don't know the answer to your other question (I never lost a character ;)) but when a character that is relevant to the story (ie. COs) "dies" they just retreat. They can't be deployed again in the same battle but they don't die permanently.

Thanks for rubbing salt in my wounds :'(

gokieks

Koren said:
Scouts are your main tool for A-ranks ? Currently getting A mostly with shocks, lancers and snupers, I don't use scouts much.

There are missions where you literally will not be able to get A rank w/o using Scouts exclusively (
Recapture of Bruhl
being the most obvious.)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Volcynika said:
Someone on a forum I used to visit said Selvaria is a Kos-Mos ripoff.

*facepalm*

When she goes into "Valkyria Mode" (like my avatar) she has a blue aura that surrounds her entire body but it accents her extremely long gray hair along with red eyes.

I could understand where they are coming from.

Edit: let's look at a visual comparison

f2a03504.jpg

ce33e666.jpg

There are definitely some visual cues that Selvaria has that was clearly influenced by KOS-MOS, but Selvaria is not a rip off of KOS-MOS.

Darkpen

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I just lost my fist soldier in chapter 7. I was gonna reload, but the level was pretty tough for me, and I just barely beat it, hence I decided to save afterwards. The bastard killed my sniper and then ran up to her right away to finish her off, I was pretty heart-broken. Question, do you always get a replacement of the same class of any soldier who died in your pool? and can Commanding Officers such as Rosie die? and what happens if they do?
:(

Was it Catherine or Marina? :(

I never let those two get captured. Also, you don't get a replacement of the same class. You'll get them again during your complete-save playthrough.

Durante said:
Add me to the list: I've been laughing at people for not knowing how to navigate the book menu with R2/L2, or do precision aiming with the d-pad, or heal themselves, but I didn't know about the corner peeking. Something new to try when the DLC is released!
I randomly found out you could navigate the book menu with L2/R2 :lol, but at the same time, it feels weird after pressing Triangle to navigate for so long. But I didn't know you could do precision aiming with the d-pad though; I'm just masterful with adjusting with the analog stick :p

Koren

ianp622 said:
Lol, that's the main reason to use engineers. Otherwise they're pretty much gimped scouts with mine-defusers (I know they refill ammo, but I rarely use that except for tanks and snipers).
Isn't a reason good enough ? (I've yet to use repair on a tank, actually, and I'm chapter 16)

Slavik81

Chapter 7. So awesome.
Also, playing in HD managed to get rid of most of the annoying aliasing.

Is there a way to make button-driven cut scenes (the minor cut scenes) play through as the dialog finishes rather than wait after each line for me to hit X?

yamo

Bought the game this week and I love it. I have a question for GAF though,

I have researched the Gallian-A1, S1 and X1 Rifles at the same time, but when I check my scouts they all have the Gallian-A1. Is it in any way possible to switch which rifle type my scouts use or am I stuck with the A1 model?

Damn reversing with the Tank is a hassle! :lol

Hobbun

lilljolle said:

I have researched the Gallian-A1, S1 and X1 Rifles at the same time, but when I check my scouts they all have the Gallian-A1. Is it in any way possible to switch which rifle type my scouts use or am I stuck with the A1 model?

You can switch out weapons when going to the Barracks room at Headquarters.

Darkpen

Banned
lilljolle said:

go to headquarters, and select the top option, where you can view everyone's stats. Select a scout, their equipment, change equipment, and you're given the option of whether you want all of them to use the same rifle you're picking now, or only for that specific unit.

AKS

Liabe Brave said:
If you can get A without scouts, go ahead and do it that way; it's more fun. Using scouts means you can clear them even faster, though. Scouts may be weak to interception fire, but if you find or clear a safer path for them they can get all the way across even the big maps in just a few CP. For example,
"Retaking Bruhl"
can be easily completed on your first turn with CP left over. Once you've leveled them up and gotten better rifles so their accuracy and damage are high, scouts are like marathon-running snipers.

Hmm, I'm going to adjust my leveling strategy based on that info.

Is there a class that isn't particularly important to power up?

This game is bound to be in my top 5 for 2008 soon. So awesome.

Darkpen

Banned
AKS said:
Hmm, I'm going to adjust my leveling strategy based on that info.

Is there a class that isn't particularly important to power up?

This game is bound to be in my top 5 for 2008 soon. So awesome.
you want to level up every class, IMO, because that last class skill that they all unlock tends to be awesome, like double movement, double action, ultimate anti-tank, ultimate damage, ultimate defense, invincible, etc.

Darkpen said:
:(

Was it Catherine or Marina? :(

I never let those two get captured. Also, you don't get a replacement of the same class. You'll get them again during your complete-save playthrough.

It was Marina, after she died i was able to get Catherine.

I just finished the game, and i got to say that this is my most memorable experience with the PS3 so far, with a good balance between gameplay and story.

I loved the villians in this game. Maximillian, Selvaria, and Jaeger were always a pleasure to fight. The only thing that disappointed me was that Selvaria got to little screentime. I'm okay with how she died, but they could flesh out her story a bit more before she exits the story.

comedian

1138 said:
I just finished the game, and i got to say that this is my most memorable experience with the PS3 so far, with a good balance between gameplay and story.

I loved the villians in this game. Maximillian, Selvaria, and Jaeger were always a pleasure to fight. The only thing that disappointed me was that Selvaria got to little screentime. I'm okay with how she died, but they could flesh out her story a bit more before she exits the story.

If god willing they make a sequel, i hope it would be a prequel
Would be cool if we can see how Maximilian and Selvaria get too were they are, even play them :>

Hcoregamer00 said:
When she goes into "Valkyria Mode" (like my avatar) she has a blue aura that surrounds her entire body but it accents her extremely long gray hair along with red eyes.

I could understand where they are coming from.

Edit: let's look at a visual comparison

f2a03504.jpg

ce33e666.jpg

There are definitely some visual cues that Selvaria has that was clearly influenced by KOS-MOS, but Selvaria is not a rip off of KOS-MOS.

Wat.

Lin Minmei has blue hair. That girl from Dirty Pair has blue hair. Freakin Konata from Lucky Star has blue hair. I think it's stretching it to say there are "similarities" just because they have the same tint of long blue hair.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Wat.

Lin Minmei has blue hair. That girl from Dirty Pair has blue hair. Freakin Konata from Lucky Star has blue hair. I think it's stretching it to say there are "similarities" just because they have the same tint of long blue hair.

I never said it was the blue hair, it was the long blue hair along with other visual cues like the red eyes.

I don't agree that Selvaria is not a KOS-MOS ripoff, but it is hard to deny that they share some design influences from characters like Rei Ayanami from Evangelion.

Slowly making my way through this game still. One chapter every few days. (Usually I die then have to redo the whole battle. First time just gets me used to the concept.) Currently on CH. 14 I think.

Just saw another pre-rendered cutscene. Seriously they have be the best pre-rendered cutscenes I have ever seen. I wonder if visuals like that are possible in real-time this gen. The gameplay is still very beautiful but the cutscenes always impress me. Story is really picking up too. Still has many cliches typical to JRPG games but it feels like it has more substance. Really like the characters too.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
On Chapter 15 atm, 14 was the first one that i actually had trouble with. Took about 5 trys to finally beat it

I kept loosing someone on my Squad so i would restart, Anyone else restart if someone is lost forever? I cant bear to loose any Squad members :(

Selvaria > KOSMOS

Metalic Sand said:
On Chapter 15 atm, 14 was the first one that i actually had trouble with. Took about 5 trys to finally beat it

I kept loosing someone on my Squad so i would restart, Anyone else restart if someone is lost forever? I cant bear to loose any Squad members :(

Selvaria > KOSMOS

I always do. At least it is somewhat possible in VC, in Fire Emblem you can't even rescue them. (really annoying)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Defuser said:
Faldio seem to be in love with Alicia. :|

Wat. So is this following its own thing? Not going from the game at all?
massive spoiler -> Chapter 14+
Since Isara dies, Faldio shot alicia (Omg i love you so much im going to shoot you!)

MoxManiac said:
I lost Herbert, but he sucks ass so good riddance

Yeah, that moody broody bastid of an engineer. I do love how robotic he sounds when he sees an enemy though. It's like bzzt tekki hakken... tekki hakken. :lol

Diablos

That Lancer dude with the glasses is a pussy. Stay off the battlefield.

Anyway, zomg,
Alicia is one of them!!!11 (As also made quite evident in the opening trailer, wtg Sega :lol

SabinFigaro said:
Ch. 15 is doable in 1 turn using uber-Alicia. With Undodgeable Shot, Alicia can headshot Selveria without missing.

Doesn't Selveria's return fire obliterate her? Or can she actually take her out in one go?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Still can't get the Awaken Potential/All order to appear at the graveyard. I heard that you can keep trying to reload, but no new orders pop up. Could it be that there's a mission requirement for them to appear. Like he'll only have a new order you can learn after you clear x chapters?

Darkpen

Banned
To the people who've either gotten to the end, or beaten the game:

Did anyone else think that Alicia would be the one to die, from earlier on?
I'm playing through the game a third time now :)lol), and this time watching the cutscenes in Japanese (its really awkward, since even I can tell that the English localization took several liberties, not to mention the fact that I like the English cast better), and I just watched the scene after you take back the bridge early on, where Alicia blows away more flower seeds. I think its because
she screams Aeris, with the whole flower thing and her demeanor :lol

RpgN

Nils said:
Still can't get the Awaken Potential/All order to appear at the graveyard. I heard that you can keep trying to reload, but no new orders pop up. Could it be that there's a mission requirement for them to appear. Like he'll only have a new order you can learn after you clear x chapters?

Maybe so. But I remember I wasn't able to afford his first order that required 6000 EXP, it still didn't pop-up :(

Top Bottom