• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00 said:
I never said it was the blue hair, it was the long blue hair along with other visual cues like the red eyes.

I don't agree that Selvaria is not a KOS-MOS ripoff, but it is hard to deny that they share some design influences from characters like Rei Ayanami from Evangelion.

I don't know. Similar hair and eye color doesn't really say "character design" in my opinion. There are other features too that make a character, so I'd say the similarities end there, and are completely different character designs, not at all influenced.

Otherwise you could say Yuna looks a lot like every other character with short brown hair and blue/green eyes.

If Selveria had a visor, and six barreled gatling guns in both hands, THEN we can say similarities are drawn.

But then again, some character's features are definitely in their hair and face. Largo looks a lot like Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop.

eznark said:
ugggghhhhh. Before I attempt this again, anyone have tips on how to beat
Sylvaria
?

Put 3-4 snipers in your squad. Deploy them all as well as your characters that give you the CP bonuses. First move, use the Edelweiss to shoot a smoke round into your home base. Choose first sniper, and move to the edge of the smoke and shoot Selvaria in the face. Select next sniper, and move to the edge of the smoke and shoot Selvaria in the face. Select 3rd sniper, and move to the edge of the smoke and shoot Selvaria in the face. If she doesn't die from that, use your fourth. You can only use each sniper once.

eznark

Banned
yeah, the second battle. I get a bunch of shocktroopers there but can then do no significant damage.

Ahhhh...that negates evasion?

Draft

I bought this game, at full price, 50% GAF hype, 50% desperate to play something, anything on the PS3 that's not WipeEout.

Game better be good.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
commish said:
Hmm I never knew about peaking around corners myself.

Whoa i never knew this, And here i was laughing that people didnt know you could heal tanks.

Draft said:
I bought this game, at full price, 50% GAF hype, 50% desperate to play something, anything on the PS3 that's not WipeEout.

Game better be good.

It is, I hope you tryed the demo first? Its like that but 10x more awesome

ianp622

Draft said:

Game better be good.

It's probably in my top 5 favorite games of all time, and definately in my top 10.

Volcynika

Draft said:

Game better be good.

One of the few games I think everyone should own!

eznark

Banned
Draft said:

Game better be good.

I love it. Play it in chunks (don't try to beat it super fast) and know that you can save mid-battle. That should avoid any potential frustrations.

neight

Banned
Draft said:

Game better be good.
The amount of fanboism in this thread sickens me especially from a certain person that has caused me to avoid this thread but to say the game is 50% hype is a disgrace to your gaming sensibilities. For an SRPG this game is godly.

Baha

Draft said:

Game better be good.

Even if the story doesn't gel with you, the gameplay alone will keep you coming back for more. It also boasts one of the best supportive cast in a game imo.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
neight said:
The amount of fanboism in this thread sickens me especially from a certain person that has caused me to avoid this thread but to say the game is 50% hype is a disgrace to your gaming sensibilities. For an SRPG this game is godly.

Good to know that I did this thread a favor.

Ferrio

Banned
I've lost the will to play. I'm on the 2nd mission on chapter ten and get gunned down quickly. Don't have the patience for this game I suppose right now.

lupin23rd

web01 said:
Any tips for the mission in which you have to
stop the armoured car in the city streets
?

That's with
the princess inside, right?

I found that really easy (complete opposite of my roommate). I just
blocked the first path to the right with the tank, and let him come down the next one, moved up some shock troopers from the middle base point and hid them behind crates and after he drove past, just took him out.

To be honest it seemed like a joke to me, but maybe I got lucky that nobody died on the
drive-by

Issun23

web01 said:
Any tips for the mission in which you have to
stop the armoured car in the city streets
?

Equip Rosie with your highest damage inflicting weapon, if it's an Imperial model the better. Set Rosie on the right side of your tank. On your first turn move your tank to the right, until the next junction. This should trigger a scene where Isara and Welkin realize they can locate the vehicle by looking for its headlights. Move Rosie up, eliminate any soldiers you can, put her next to the northern wall and end your turn. The vehicle will move towards Rosie and the next junction. If she's at a good level she won't suffer major damage. On your second turn, move the tank to the right again, blocking the vehicle's escape route once more. Use Rosie to destroy the vehicle by aiming at the blue radiator. Get her close, like really close. It can be done in 2 turns nailing you an A rank.

Koren

neight said:
For an SRPG this game is godly.
I'm still frustrated by a couple a details (when you're behind a guy, the machinegun on his neck, I feel strange you need 50+ bullets to take him down, because he's in his base behind a sand bag... like you! That turn down some strategy possibilities. Same, I feel strange you can't use lances from a bridge because of an invisible wall and similar situations), and I feel the game too much on the easy side (I can go for shorter completion times, even if I get A on most of the maps on the first try, but most of the strategies for speed runs seems rather tricks and scout runs than strategic planning).

But beside this, the game is wonderful. It has been a long time I wanted to see a SRPG game using a system similar to Sakura Taisen one, and I'm happy to see it working perfectly well, with many improvements. Now, I want more ^_^

And yes, characters are really good. On both sides.

zoku88

neight said:
For an SRPG this game is godly.
You know, i actually don't agree with this.

This game is one of the easier SRPGs I've played and it seems as though the battles can be abused easily (like, with scout rushes or whatnot.)

It's a great game, but I just don't think the developers should have gone with most missions being based on 'capture the base.' At least, maybe they should have made it that you would be required to hold on to the base for a certain number of turns after capturing it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After thoroughly enjoying the demo I went out and bought this along with Little Big Planet. I'm only on chapter 3, but I am really enjoying the game. The story and characters are great, and while I generally don't like "anime-style", the visuals in this game really work well. The gameplay is a lot of fun so far as well. With this and Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan, Sega is really making my PS3 experience a very enjoyable one.

RpgN

zoku88 said:

This game is one of the easier SRPGs I've played and it seems as though the battles can be abused easily (like, with scout rushes or whatnot.)

It's a great game, but I just don't think the developers should have gone with most missions being based on 'capture the base.' At least, maybe they should have made it that you would be required to hold on to the base for a certain number of turns after capturing it.

I agree about the game being more on the easy side. Once you've had a few missions, you know its way of thinking. But what's surprising is that there are a lot of fans who find the game really hard. I've read many of those replies and don't know why they think that. What is the right balance for it?

I thought 'capture the flag' missions were fun actually, but you had different missions too. Like leading the marmota, killing a certain someone, all of chapter 7 etc.

Buffi, is that a sarcastic comment I'm detecting? >:[

buffi

Banned
RpgN said:
Buffi, is that a sarcastic comment I'm detecting? >:[

Unsure what you mean by that. I purchased the game at release, have played through new game+ and really enjoy it but I find some of the discussion in the thread kind of... off-putting.

While I agree that the game has a very "anime" feel to it, I think that a lot of the wapanese discussions in here are scaring away a lot of people, which is a bad thing since the core gameplay is fucking awesome and pretty much any gamer should be able to enjoy it.

Or something like that.

web01

lupin23rd said:
I found that really easy (complete opposite of my roommate). I just
blocked the first path to the right with the tank, and let him come down the next one, moved up some shock troopers from the middle base point and hid them behind crates and after he drove past, just took him out.

To be honest it seemed like a joke to me, but maybe I got lucky that nobody died on the
drive-by

Issun23 said:
Equip Rosie with your highest damage inflicting weapon, if it's an Imperial model the better. Set Rosie on the right side of your tank. On your first turn move your tank to the right, until the next junction. This should trigger a scene where Isara and Welkin realize they can locate the vehicle by looking for its headlights. Move Rosie up, eliminate any soldiers you can, put her next to the northern wall and end your turn. The vehicle will move towards Rosie and the next junction. If she's at a good level she won't suffer major damage. On your second turn, move the tank to the right again, blocking the vehicle's escape route once more. Use Rosie to destroy the vehicle by aiming at the blue radiator. Get her close, like really close. It can be done in 2 turns nailing you an A rank.

Thanks guys.
I must have been unlucky because I got owned the first time I tried the level.
Apart from that I have did every chapter in my first try.

Durante

buffi said:
While I agree that the game has a very "anime" feel to it, I think that a lot of the wapanese discussions in here are scaring away a lot of people, which is a bad thing since the core gameplay is fucking awesome and pretty much any gamer should be able to enjoy it.
Hmm, it's an SRPG and the thread seems like it will keep going up to 5000 posts. Can't be too scary/off-putting.

Draft said:
Game better be good.
It's almost as good as Baldur's Gate 2!

neight

Banned
Koren said:
I'm still frustrated by a couple a details (when you're behind a guy, the machinegun on his neck, I feel strange you need 50+ bullets to take him down, because he's in his base behind a sand bag... like you! That turn down some strategy possibilities. Same, I feel strange you can't use lances from a bridge because of an invisible wall and similar situations), and I feel the game too much on the easy side (I can go for shorter completion times, even if I get A on most of the maps on the first try, but most of the strategies for speed runs seems rather tricks and scout runs than strategic planning).

But beside this, the game is wonderful. It has been a long time I wanted to see a SRPG game using a system similar to Sakura Taisen one, and I'm happy to see it working perfectly well, with many improvements. Now, I want more ^_^

And yes, characters are really good. On both sides.
zoku88 said:

I have my criticisms too the the lack of setting harder difficulty levels being one of them. Another is how you can be right in front of a person with 90% of the reticule filled up but you somehow still miss them, distance should have a bigger effect on accuracy. And the classes could use some rebalancing, snipers and shocktroopers should be more powerful and the scouts are more like Super-Scouts. But the overall presentation of the game is just so awesome no more havin to play our SRPGs with SNES-level sprites on basic 3D backgrounds(although the game could've toned down the cinematics) and the map designs and their variety are great.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Draft said:

Game better be good.
Still waiting to hear you thoughts.

Hobbun

zoku88 said:

I actually found the game quite challenging. I mean it isn't the most difficult game I have played by any means. But it is far from easy. Most maps I would need to restart more than once because I made a stupid mistake or underestimated the enemy.

I agree I wish they would have gone with more variety than mostly "capture the flag", but that didn't bother me too much. At least the way they did each map was relatively fresh. Some maps seemed like clones, but for the most part, they were different.

What I really give kudos to Sega about is the innovative gameplay, great characterization and decent storyline. It is one of the few games that had me hooked until the end with it's gameplay (it was fun!) and I wanted to know what truly happened to everyone as the characterization was very good. More recently I have started to lose interest when getting towards the end of games because they may like a grind or I am not into the story as I was earlier. Definitely not the case here.

Is the game godly? No, of course not. But then I would think for a game to be godly it would have to be perfect. And I haven't played a perfect game yet. There will always be things people will find to nitpick about a game, myself included. But the drawbacks for VC is so minor I feel it is one of the best SRPGs, if not the best, to date. It bettered Tactics in my opinion and I held that on a pedestal before VC.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Valkyr Junkie said:
Put 3-4 snipers in your squad. Deploy them all as well as your characters that give you the CP bonuses. First move, use the Edelweiss to shoot a smoke round into your home base. Choose first sniper, and move to the edge of the smoke and shoot Selvaria in the face. Select next sniper, and move to the edge of the smoke and shoot Selvaria in the face. Select 3rd sniper, and move to the edge of the smoke and shoot Selvaria in the face. If she doesn't die from that, use your fourth. You can only use each sniper once.

I just won the mission using that strategy, felt really dirty afterwards though.

I have found it way more fun to simply play by strategy, ignoring the rank system. You have a lot more fun that way. It's cool that the flexibility is there though, so if you did feel like you've had enough and just want to finish the map, the option is there. That in itself is a challenge too. I like this game overall because of it.

There have been a few missions where all I wanted to do was just beat the map, and others where I relished in the combats.

I really love the flexibility in this game - you can switch between characters for different playing styles/considerations. It's awesome.

I just beat Rosie's War Without Weapons side chapter, and really, the only complaint I have is that crouching characters take way too many hits to kill. There should have been some better way of dealing with this system. Wasting a grenade to do minuscule damage, and taking another turn to kill an enemy is kinda stupid, IMO. Back attacks should do full + critical damage, as you're no longer under cover.

Hobbun

radiantdreamer said:
I have found it way more fun to simply play by strategy, ignoring the rank system. You have a lot more fun that way. It's cool that the flexibility is there though, so if you did feel like you've had enough and just want to finish the map, the option is there. That in itself is a challenge too. I like this game overall because of it.

There have been a few missions where all I wanted to do was just beat the map, and others where I relished in the combats.

I really love the flexibility in this game - you can switch between characters for different playing styles/considerations. It's awesome.

I just beat Rosie's War Without Weapons side chapter, and really, the only complaint I have is that crouching characters take way too many hits to kill. There should have been some better way of dealing with this system. Wasting a grenade to do minuscule damage, and taking another turn to kill an enemy is kinda stupid, IMO. Back attacks should do full + critical damage, as you're no longer under cover.

Without giving too much away, there is another way to deal with crouching enemies than the two step procedure (blow up sandbags and take another action and shoot). But I am not sure if you are at that point where you have the 'other way', yet.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Hobbun said:
Without giving too much away, there is another way to deal with crouching enemies than the two step procedure (blow up sandbags and take another action and shoot). But I am not sure if you are at that point where you have the 'other way', yet.

Is it the Randgrizer or Flamethrower?

ianp622

Metalic Sand said:

Flamethrower. Grenades only kill snipers and engineers (sometimes scouts) in one hit towards the later levels. You have to level up the FT a bit first though, otherwise it'll take two hits and then it's not even worth it.

Hobbun

Metalic Sand said:

Well, it could be both. But I was thinking about the flamethrower. With the Randgrizer, you are in the same boat as using a normal grenade and you could still end up doing the 'two step process' if you don't kill them with the first blast. Flamethrowers work REALLY well against crouching enemies. Whether behind sandbags or in the grass.

ianp622 said:
Flamethrower. Grenades only kill snipers and engineers (sometimes scouts) in one hit towards the later levels. You have to level up the FT a bit first though, otherwise it'll take two hits and then it's not even worth it.

Yeah, I'm there. I've upgraded my stuff to full, it still takes 2 hits on enemies in the grass. You'd think that they'd die easier if they're surrounded by such
flammable
material. It works better on crouching enemies though.

It might also have to do with me getting hit with "damage down" status. I freakin HATE that!!!!

Hobbun

ianp622 said:

Not worth it? I'd have to disagree. As long as you upgrade right away and don't wait, you have awhile to use your more powerful flamethrower.

Durante

I totally underestimated the
Flamethrower
for a while.
Since when I tried it for the very first time it took 2-3 hits I never used it again but kept upgrading it. Then I saw a youtube video of it in use and decided to try again and now it 1-shots every infantry type, regardless of cover/grass (except aces). It's not surprising tough if you actually read the upgrade description. The upgrade changes are much more significant than for most other weapons.

Hobbun

radiantdreamer said:
Yeah, I'm there. I've upgraded my stuff to full, it still takes 2 hits on enemies in the grass. You'd think that they'd die easier if they're surrounded by such
flammable
material. It works better on crouching enemies though.

It might also have to do with me getting hit with "damage down" status. I freakin HATE that!!!!

Yeah, receiving a 'damage down' will make a difference. What chapter are you on? You should
be able to upgrade your flamethrower where it does one hit kills
with a decent enough time left in the game. But yes, besides this option, that's all you can really do to take care of crouching characters effectively.

Darkpen

Banned
Durante said:
I totally underestimated the
Flamethrower
for a while.
Since when I tried it for the very first time it took 2-3 hits I never used it again but kept upgrading it. Then I saw a youtube video of it in use and decided to try again and now it 1-shots every infantry type, regardless of cover/grass (except aces). It's not surprising tough if you actually read the upgrade description. The upgrade changes are much more significant than for most other weapons.
the upgrades are only for the troopers that miss out on the Ace enemy upgrade you get from the
Darcsen hunt
mission, until your second playthrough.

Personally, I kept using the flamethrower, and found it godly :D

ianp622

Hobbun said:
Not worth it? I'd have to disagree. As long as you upgrade right away and don't wait, you have awhile to use your more powerful flamethrower.

I said it wasn't worth it until you upgrade it. Once it's at the right level then it's great for short range attacks.

Top Bottom