• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

rykomatsu

Hobbun said:
Without giving too much away, there is another way to deal with crouching enemies than the two step procedure (blow up sandbags and take another action and shoot). But I am not sure if you are at that point where you have the 'other way', yet.

Well, there's a method available from the start pretty much...

roll over said sandbags with tank...

unless they changed that in the western release...

ianp622

rykomatsu said:

No, that still works :)

Hobbun

ianp622 said:
I said it wasn't worth it until you upgrade it. Once it's at the right level then it's great for short range attacks.

Ok, my mistake then. I thought you meant even after you upgraded it wasn't worth it, like it was too late in the game to take advantage of it. Sorry.

Hobbun

rykomatsu said:

:lol

Yeah, that's true. But I think he was talking about using something on a wider scale.

I just finished Rosie's side chapter
darscen hunt
and I did get the Ace from that (you have to, actually).

I did find the FT to be a very useful weapon in any case. Especially with the wide AoE. You guys know that the crosshairs are wide because that's the effective range, right?

Also verified: You cannot HEAL tanks. (ie, you can't use a Ragnite on them) as a poster originally thought. You can only REPAIR them with an engineer using TOOLS. The Engineer does not have to be within blank range, and you do not have to be at the radiator.

I have another question - obstacles that block your way, like tree logs, those crisscross barbed wire things, is there any other way to take them down other than using an explosive of some sort? (I know tanks can run over tree logs). They really slow progress!

Darkpen

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
I just finished Rosie's side chapter
darscen hunt
and I did get the Ace from that (you have to, actually).

I did find the FT to be a very useful weapon in any case. Especially with the wide AoE. You guys know that the crosshairs are wide because that's the effective range, right?

Also verified: You cannot HEAL tanks. (ie, you can't use a Ragnite on them) as a poster originally thought. You can only REPAIR them with an engineer using TOOLS. The Engineer does not have to be within blank range, and you do not have to be at the radiator.

I have another question - obstacles that block your way, like tree logs, those crisscross barbed wire things, is there any other way to take them down other than using an explosive of some sort? (I know tanks can run over tree logs). They really slow progress!
The shamrock has an even better FT. That's all I ever have equipped on it. I can't believe someone thought you could heal the tanks with ragnaid :lol

And no, you need to use grenades or tanks.

Darkpen said:
The shamrock has an even better FT. That's all I ever have equipped on it. I can't believe someone thought you could heal the tanks with ragnaid :lol

And no, you need to use grenades or tanks.

The Shamrock is such an awesome multi-purpose tank. Though I have it assigned to tank duty more than infantry duty, while I have Largo assigned to taking out infantry with the explosive lances instead. It's still good because the explosive lances can still kill a tank in one hit from behind, which is my tactic at all times anyway.

Some of the tanks in the later chapter are insane! One hit can kill my Shamrock, and it's not a back attack either! WTF?

radiantdreamer said:
Some of the tanks in the later chapter are insane! One hit can kill my Shamrock, and it's not a back attack either! WTF?

Make sure to upgrade the armor & HP. It should be able to survive at least two hits from just about anything.

Honestly, I hardly ever used my tanks for anything except cover (they're great mobile bunkers). But they take too many points to move and generally don't do as much damage as lancers, so I just mostly used them instead.

EDIT: Except for mortar fire. Tanks are great for clearing out a crowd.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Make sure to upgrade the armor & HP. It should be able to survive at least two hits from just about anything.

Honestly, I hardly ever used my tanks for anything except cover (they're great mobile bunkers). But they take too many points to move and generally don't do as much damage as lancers, so I just mostly used them instead.

Yeah, Sharpnels can take out all standard enemies aside from Elite Lancers with 1 shot. The OTHER great use for tanks is tearing down an enemy base's defense, knocking the enemies out of the base grid area, and then providing cover so that your team member can waltz up and capture it with no effort. This tactic is so cheap but so useful.

LiveFromKyoto said:

Lancers can do more damage than tanks?! I have not seen this.

My Shamrock is as up to date as it can be! Why is my R&D dept being such lazy ass bastards?!

Baha

radiantdreamer said:
Lancers can do more damage than tanks?! I have not seen this.

My Shamrock is as up to date as it can be! Why is my R&D dept being such lazy ass bastards?!

Hector + Awaken Potential = Tank Slayer :D

Baha

radiantdreamer said:
You mean with the extra shot?

Does Awaken Potential guarantee? Or does it just slightly raise the odds?

No I mean Tank Slayer, it's a potential that can kill tanks in one hit (unless they have extra armor like you-know-who's tank).

Baha said:
No I mean Tank Slayer, it's a potential that can kill tanks in one hit (unless they have extra armor like you-know-who's tank).

Does every Lancer have that potential? I know Theold has it as well. There's also Double Damage for Lancers. There's also the Double Action potential, which lets you go twice in one turn, but not sure if any Lancer has that ability. Also seen double fire potential. So Double Damage + Double Action can take out most anything in one turn if you get it, sans any "special" tanks/vehicles. But you spend more ammo, but you can also get Ammo Refill for lancers as well. The double action potential + maxed clip Shocktrooper = ownage, especially when you have a bunch of them teamed up together.

Baha said:

Oh wow, I didn't know Tank Slayer is a potential 1-hit kill. That's rad. Obviously wouldn't work on boss tanks...

Does Awaken Potential guarantee the potential to be used? Or does it just increase the chances of it happening?

Darkpen

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Oh wow, I didn't know Tank Slayer is a potential 1-hit kill. That's rad. Obviously wouldn't work on boss tanks...

Does Awaken Potential guarantee the potential to be used? Or does it just increase the chances of it happening?
you need to unlock the 4th potential for the class in the training field first.

Personally, I don't bother with awaken potential, and just use Audrey and Elysse for Ultimate Anti-Tank, which is a permanent effect :D :D :D

Also, isn't it Tank Destroyer, not Tank Slayer, that's 1-hit kill?

I'd use Jann, but he's too creepy, and that other guy is a misogynist, which I don't approve of.

Baha

Darkpen said:
you need to unlock the 4th potential for the class in the training field first.

Personally, I don't bother with awaken potential, and just use Audrey and Elysse for Ultimate Anti-Tank, which is a permanent effect :D :D :D

Also, isn't it Tank Destroyer, not Tank Slayer, that's 1-hit kill?

I'd use Jann, but he's too creepy, and that other guy is a misogynist, which I don't approve of.

You're probably right, it's been awhile since I've checked.

ianp622

I've killed most of my tanks with Demolition Boost and a scout. A scout with Demolition Boost can kill a tank with two or three shots in the radiator (two or three shots, not turns).

Darkpen

Banned
ianp622 said:
I've killed most of my tanks with Demolition Boost and a scout. A scout with Demolition Boost can kill a tank with two or three shots in the radiator (two or three shots, not turns).
wow, seriously? :lol

I never tried that.

Darkpen said:

I used Yoko the Japanese soccer mom. She mauled almost every tank in the game for me - she almost singlehandedly took out Maximillian's tank in chapter 7.

Wow, amazing thread that you have put together, great job OP'er!!!

I bought it about a month ago and still have to unwrap it. I have been finishing up a ton of other games that I got myself into...and then today I bought Kirby's Dreamland III which was a total mistake because I have fallen in love with that game once again.

I soooooo cannot wait to get into this game, it looks like the kind of game I am just going to love with the Art Style, sound seems to be pretty amazing, and the gameplay I heard was solid and even somewhat refreshing even though I heard there is a bit of grinding later.

ianp622

Darkpen said:
wow, seriously? :lol

I never tried that.

Yeah, the only thing is it doesn't work against the boss tanks.

WickedCobra03 said:
Wow, amazing thread that you have put together, great job OP'er!!!

I bought it about a month ago and still have to unwrap it. I have been finishing up a ton of other games that I got myself into...and then today I bought Kirby's Dreamland III which was a total mistake because I have fallen in love with that game once again.

I soooooo cannot wait to get into this game, it looks like the kind of game I am just going to love with the Art Style, sound seems to be pretty amazing, and the gameplay I heard was solid and even somewhat refreshing even though I heard there is a bit of grinding later.

I never grinded and I've been doing fine. I've done every skirmish only once except for one I did twice.

btrick

Not sure if this has already been asked before, but how much of a difference does forming a team based on members that like each other make? is it really necessary?

i can't really tell.

loving the game so far though

ianp622

btrick said:
Not sure if this has already been asked before, but how much of a difference does forming a team based on members that like each other make? is it really necessary?

i can't really tell.

loving the game so far though

I've found that it's not really worth the effort. I think it increases the chance that the other person will attack and counter-attack with you if the characters are next to each other.

I think it makes more of a difference when the characters have potentials with other people, like Good Buddy (positive) or Chatty Cathy (negative).

ianp622 said:
I've found that it's not really worth the effort. I think it increases the chance that the other person will attack and counter-attack with you if the characters are next to each other.
Well, doubling your firepower is pretty good. When Trooper A attacks, their friend Trooper B also shoots; then when Trooper B attacks, A also does--that's four attacks for the price of two.

The thing that devalues this is that most targets aren't tough enough to withstand more than one attack, so there's almost never a need for this sort of concentration. You usually just get it by happenstance, rather than trying to cause it. Potentials are much more powerful like you said.

Still, it can be helpful. I used Rosie and a couple of her friends doing group attacks to take down the
APC carrying Cordelia
very quickly, before it could kill me.

Draft

I'm up to the part where you sneak across a river.

So far, I'm calling this game very, very good. I'm inching ever closer to calling it excellent.

I really like the upgrade system. I like how you level up. I like the little things how the squad members do a little dance or whatever after killing someone.

I like how one of my engineers is a straight up lesbian. She has that perk thing where she gets happier when she's around women. I selected her for a turn last night, and she was next to another girl, and her inspiration popped and she said something like, "Let's go to the secret garden." :lol

I like how I have both Vyse and Aika in my squad. :lol

Wordy, though! My goodness, some of those chapters are just dialog laden.

ianp622

Liabe Brave said:
Well, doubling your firepower is pretty good. When Trooper A attacks, their friend Trooper B also shoots; then when Trooper B attacks, A also does--that's four attacks for the price of two.

The thing that devalues this is that most targets aren't tough enough to withstand more than one attack, so there's almost never a need for this sort of concentration. You usually just get it by happenstance, rather than trying to cause it. Potentials are much more powerful like you said.

Still, it can be helpful. I used Rosie and a couple of her friends doing group attacks to take down the
APC carrying Cordelia

Yeah, it's mostly troopers though, because scouts do barely any damage when they aren't headshots.

Draft said:
I like how one of my engineers is a straight up lesbian. She has that perk thing where she gets happier when she's around women. I selected her for a turn last night, and she was next to another girl, and her inspiration popped and she said something like, "Let's go to the secret garden." :lol
If you get her "Hates Men" potential (which lowers her stats around guys), she says, "Ugh! Boys!"

My favorite, though, is one you won't have yet. One of your recruits eventually gets the "Masochist" potential, which causes them to squeal with delight when they get seriously hurt. Good ol' Japanese! :lol

Liabe Brave said:
APC carrying Cordelia

I had Rosie single-handedly take down the
APC
for an A-rank. It just takes strategic positioning to avoid getting swiss-cheesed.

Draft said:

I need to play this game with english VAs. lol that's awesome.

Raist

Banned
Soooo... chapter 7...

Beat that one on my first try, with a B rank. Sup with people calling it cheap or something ?
Selvaria is a fucking bitch tho. Running around tha map and taking anyone down in a heartbeat is fucking rude. Not to mention that if you move out of cover with her around, you're pretty much fucked.
Lost a sniper in the process. Tis ok, I didn't like him anyway :p

Really dig the game. There are a couple of annoying stuff, like not being able to take cover with stuff that would have maked sense, but all around it's a good game.
Oh, grenades suck major ass, too.

mjc

I just beat chapter 7 after about three hours of attempts. Whew. I broke my cardinal rule of seeking out FAQs and took a peek at one to see if there was any worthwhile strategies to be had. I discovered that my real problem was holding up near the northwest, so when
Selvaria
came around she just mauled everyone in sight. I reformulated my strategy and only permanently lost one scout. (They do die forever ala Fire Emblem, correct? I still kinda feel guilty for letting one die.) I somehow managed to get a B rank out of the thing too, my highest score yet.

I would say without a doubt that its the hardest chapter so far, at least for me. I'd like to think that it kinda slapped my ass in gear so that I don't sleepwalk through the game.

gokieks

mjc said:
I just beat chapter 7 after about three hours of attempts. Whew. I broke my cardinal rule of seeking out FAQs and took a peek at one to see if there was any worthwhile strategies to be had. I discovered that my real problem was holding up near the northwest, so when
Selvaria
came around she just mauled everyone in sight. I reformulated my strategy and only permanently lost one scout. (They do die forever ala Fire Emblem, correct? I still kinda feel guilty for letting one die.) I somehow managed to get a B rank out of the thing too, my highest score yet.

I would say without a doubt that its the hardest chapter so far, at least for me. I'd like to think that it kinda slapped my ass in gear so that I don't sleepwalk through the game.

If you saw the death animation (screen fading to pencil line drawing, then pure white), then yes, that unit is dead "forever" (until you start a New Game+). If it makes you feel better, you're actually required to let one unit die to get one of the medals, though I think the unit that dies must have their full bio/final potential unlocked first, which yours may or may not have.

Raist

Banned
ianp622 said:
Don't be so quick to judge...

Yeah well range is SO short, it's really annoying. Another silly thing: Lances. Those shits can take tanks down, but you blow up a sandbag cover with a lancer, and the dude right behind doesn't take any damage :lol

Anyway, back to it. Man this mission right after the sneaky one is annoying (stupid Welkin died :lol).

ianp622

Raist said:
Yeah well range is SO short, it's really annoying. Another silly thing: Lances. Those shits can take tanks down, but you blow up a sandbag cover with a lancer, and the dude right behind doesn't take any damage :lol

Well I tried to be discreet about it, but here are answers to both of your complaints:

Grenades:
Scouts eventually get a grenade launcher that greatly increases the range

Lancers:
Lancers eventually get mortars that are similar to the tank mortar.

Raist said:

Anyway, back to it. Man this mission right after the sneaky one is annoying (stupid Welkin died :lol).

You're just doing it wrong.

The limits given to you at the start are definitely for you to work around. Lancers should never be used to take down sandbags when they're using standard lances. It does no damage other than remove cover fire, and the chances of missing are pretty high.

Ever blank ranged an enemy in the head with a lancer? It's VERY satisfying. :)

Scouts and Engineers are your anti-crouch tactics with grenades. They have very short range, yes. But they clear areas so fast and effectively, they're a great alternative to standard fire at mid range, especially in the early stages.

Once scouts upgrade, they become incredible in long range offensives, and in certain scenarios, can outdo lancers and snipers.

Raist

Banned
ianp: I'm not gonna read that :p

radiantdreamer: I'm not saying it's supposed to be used like this, but that makes little sense.

dralla

god damnit. I always thought shooting the tanks in the blue radiators would only disable it's tracks, I didn't know it would kill the whole thing. so much time wasted in earlier chapters :[ Up to 14 now, just realized this

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
dralla said:
god damnit. I always thought shooting the tanks in the blue radiators would only disable it's tracks, I didn't know it would kill the whole thing. so much time wasted in earlier chapters :[ Up to 14 now, just realized this

Look on the bright side: you actually had a legitimate reason to use Lancers outside of a couple of missions. It's like you got to play with a spiffy bonus class that people who spammed radiator rushdowns never got to experience.

Frankly I'm jealous.

Asbel

The hardest thing I've found about this game is trying to find time to play it. I've skipped all the skirmishes (except the first on easy to try it out) and I've never felt underpowered. Whenever I lose or have a man down, it's due to my strategy, not because the enemies are overpowered. That's a well made game.

I think you guys are still nitpicking. This game wasn't intended to be realistic. When you aim, the world freezes. That doesn't make sense at all but you can accept that as a game mechanic, so why be bother by other game mechanics that wouldn't make sense in the real world.

Btw, grenades are so very versatile. I'm sure the range limitation and one per scout per turn was done to keep grenades in check.

mjc

Now that I think about it I never saw the screen go white on the downed character. It was right near the end of the mission and I took out Maximillian before that happened. Does that mean she's still alive? (Like is she evacuated when the mission is completed?)

ianp622

mjc said:
Now that I think about it I never saw the screen go white on the downed character. It was right near the end of the mission and I took out Maximillian before that happened. Does that mean she's still alive? (Like is she evacuated when the mission is completed?)

Yeah, if you finish the mission before the person actually dies, they are fine.

Asbel said:
Btw, grenades are so very versatile. I'm sure the range limitation and one per scout per turn was done to keep grenades in check.
It doesn't work. :lol After my scouts pop their grenades I just run an engineer by them and back into cover. Let the assault continue!

Liabe Brave said:
It doesn't work. :lol After my scouts pop their grenades I just run an engineer by them and back into cover. Let the assault continue!

or you can just grenade shit with the engineer, since they carry 3

Top Bottom