• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
woooooohooooo!

I cheated like heck throughout a large majority of the game but w/e I had fun anyways and finally finished it off today!

Darkpen

Banned
Draft said:
I'm up to the part where you sneak across a river.

So far, I'm calling this game very, very good. I'm inching ever closer to calling it excellent.

I really like the upgrade system. I like how you level up. I like the little things how the squad members do a little dance or whatever after killing someone.

I like how one of my engineers is a straight up lesbian. She has that perk thing where she gets happier when she's around women. I selected her for a turn last night, and she was next to another girl, and her inspiration popped and she said something like, "Let's go to the secret garden." :lol

I like how I have both Vyse and Aika in my squad. :lol

Wordy, though! My goodness, some of those chapters are just dialog laden.
Glad you're having fun, and yes, more people who are playing this in Japanese are really missing out on the excellent localization.

You should try having Dallas go near Alicia, while you're at it :lol

Glad you're having a good time. Most of us are waiting for DLC! :(

Volcynika

I finally beat Ch 7 (shut up I got torn away from most things due to schools and stuff.....and I'm a slacker sometimes), and amazed at how I almost lost someone. D:

Yazuka

So I've finally started to play this game. I'm on chapter 4or 5.
And I really like it. Just gonna fix a few other things and get back to playing.

Gryphter said:
or you can just grenade shit with the engineer, since they carry 3
But to get in hand grenade range means they're under counter fire, which kills them very rapidly. The scouts can use the Randgrizer. The engineer can also heavily heal someone along the way with their large Ragnaid. Plus a quick resupply run leaves the engineer back near your armor for quick repair. Engineers are better at support, so I leave the long-distance offensive thrusts for scouts.

There's lots of flexibility in the system, though, which is part of why the game's good.

I was really glad to have picked this game up because it has without a doubt become my favorite game on the PS3. This is one of the few times I can actually recall being excited for DLC. I hope everyone else who is playing this enjoys the game as much as I did.

gokieks

Darkpen said:
people who are playing this in Japanese are really missing out on the excellent localization.

Yeah, about that... I'm playing through the game for a 3rd time (backlog be damned), with English voices this time, and I'm... not terribly impressed. It's not downright terrible like too many other games for the most part (Edy being primary exception - her voice makes me want to stab her with a dull and rusted spork, repeatedly), but I have to say the Japanese voices are still better, even with dubtitles. A Lelouch-ian Maxmilian is just that much cooler.

Darkpen

Banned
gokieks said:
Yeah, about that... I'm playing through the game for a 3rd time (backlog be damned), with English voices this time, and I'm... not terribly impressed. It's not downright terrible like too many other games for the most part (Edy being primary exception - her voice makes me want to stab her with a dull and rusted spork, repeatedly), but I have to say the Japanese voices are still better, even with dubtitles. A Lelouch-ian Maxmilian is just that much cooler.
oh, is that who Maximilian sounds like in the Japanese version? The only impression he gave me was a stuffy stereotypical anime voice.

For me, its hard to enjoy the Japanese cast as much as I normally do with anime for the primary reason of the subtitles not being meant for the Japanese track, therefore not making much sense.

I agree that some of the voices are really out there, but for the most part, I really prefer the English track over the Japanese track. Its not even a case of audio quality and mixing, either. If they actually had subtitles that were meant for the Japanese track, I'd enjoy it a bit more, but as it is, the English tracks feels right at home.

And for some reason, Welkin sounds oddly stoic in the Japanese version, or at least he comes off stiffer than he does in the English track. And Largo's Japanese voice is just weird to me.

dralla

The "HP Down" effect, I'm guessing it continually drains enemy HP, but at what rate? I looked but it doesn't say, is it worth it to go for weapons with the effect or more powerful ones by default

Darkpen

Banned
dralla said:
The "HP Down" effect, I'm guessing it continually drains enemy HP, but at what rate? I looked but it doesn't say, is it worth it to go for weapons with the effect or more powerful ones by default
get someone with pollen allergy, and just have them continually crawl through grass or something.

AlexM

I'm at chapter 11, most of my units are level 7 though. I barely made it through 10.

I went 3 turns hanging out at the second chokepoint before even noticing the bomb, I kept shooting the trusses instead.

DLC is day1 for me :)

I loving that I can still play this SRPG in manageable chunks I can only really fit in about 1-2 hours a gaming night these days, this game fits perfect for that.

gokieks

Darkpen said:
oh, is that who Maximilian sounds like in the Japanese version? The only impression he gave me was a stuffy stereotypical anime voice.

For me, its hard to enjoy the Japanese cast as much as I normally do with anime for the primary reason of the subtitles not being meant for the Japanese track, therefore not making much sense.

I agree that some of the voices are really out there, but for the most part, I really prefer the English track over the Japanese track. Its not even a case of audio quality and mixing, either. If they actually had subtitles that were meant for the Japanese track, I'd enjoy it a bit more, but as it is, the English tracks feels right at home.

And for some reason, Welkin sounds oddly stoic in the Japanese version, or at least he comes off stiffer than he does in the English track. And Largo's Japanese voice is just weird to me.

Not just sounds like, he's actually voiced by the same VA as Lelouch. I can't help but want to laugh every time I hear Maximilian give an order, because it sounds exactly like Lelouch doing it, and I imagine it said with Lelouch's half-crazy face. And Faldio is voiced by... Suzaku. It's an interesting situation, and made the game quite funny at times.

And Largo yelling "Veg-ta-ble!" in English is so ridiculous that it's unintentional (or is it intentional? I can't tell) comedy gold.

Darkpen

Banned
gokieks said:
Not just sounds like, he's actually voiced by the same VA as Lelouch. I can't help but want to laugh every time I hear Maximilian give an order, because it sounds exactly like Lelouch doing it, and I imagine it said with Lelouch's half-crazy face. And Faldio is voiced by... Suzaku. It's an interesting situation, and made the game quite funny at times.

And Largo yelling "Veg-ta-ble!" in English is so ridiculous that it's unintentional (or is it intentional? I can't tell) comedy gold.
orly? I'm going to need to do a few of those battles again and listen a bit more carefully :D

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
dralla said:

The added effect weapons are universally not worth the loss of power, range, and/or ammunition compared to standard guns.

Darkpen said:

Which voice option did you play first? I think it might have to do with "getting used" to how a character sounds, and then it sounds awkward and out of place when you listen to the alternative.

For example, I love Rosie's JP voice. It's so fitting and reminds me of Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop (JP voice). I switched to english temporarily, and don't really like her voice all that much. Not that it's bad, but it just sounded... different, and not to my liking because of it. Bias, I suppose... but yeah, some of the more corny remarks are better left in Japanese where I don't actually understand them. :p

ixix said:
The added effect weapons are universally not worth the loss of power, range, and/or ammunition compared to standard guns.

Even at higher levels? DoT and procs do a lot of damage in MMOs.

What's better? More damage output, or less damage output but larger clip?

Got it day 1 when it came out but never posted much.

Anyways it's a great game and one that I'm taking slowly to savour, I usually do about 1 chapter a week or 2 if I want to see a critical story arc. I reached chapter 15 today and got Artillery Support and Awaken All(Had the ones prior to those two as well). Kind of nice using those commands, but I haven't used them much as they make the game way to easy.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
radiantdreamer said:
Even at higher levels? DoT and procs do a lot of damage in MMOs.

The fundamental problem with causing status effects is that you're almost always capable of killing enemy soldiers in a single round of firing, and if a single attack can't kill an enemy you're often better off not taking the shot at all, either holding off until you get a better position or shooting an enemy you can kill.

It pretty much all boils down to CP usage. If you're actually getting any use out of the status effects then you're using a CP to shoot an enemy without killing them, which is something you typically don't want to do if you care the least bit about your ranking.

There's also the fact that Imperial and Royal weapons don't cause status effects, and those will likely comprise the majority of your arsenal in the late stages of the game.

My GOTY and I've been avoiding this thread as not to spoil/ruin my experience of this game. I'm almost done going through and A-Ranking all missions/skirmishes, maxing out troups and upgrades. I can't wait for the DLC mission packs and the lack of trophies sucks.

Although buffed up scouts are maybe too good... (potential awaken + caution + demolition)

dralla

ah damn, wasted so much time on Ch 15.

I knew I should've used the Smoke grenade but I kept on trying to sneak up behind Sev..and they kept on sending Scouts to the main base and holy shit one of them stopped right in front of it. I had my second tank there to guard it but the damn thing wouldn't shoot. Probably wasted a good 4 turns sneaking up on Sev and defending the base before I finally fired the damn Smoke at her. Than just one clip in the back from Vyse.

Snaku

Banned
Mother fuck.

I was going to pick this up today (saw a copy at Walmart a few days ago) and I did a search on the thread to see which dub I should go with. Fucking spoilers aren't blacked out in search result posts, and I learned of a major character's death at the end. Son of a bitch...now I don't even want the fucking game.

2d1pso6.gif

ezekial45

Banned
Snaku said:
Mother fuck.

I was going to pick this up today (saw a copy at Walmart a few days ago) and I did a search on the thread to see which dub I should go with. Fucking spoilers aren't blacked out in search result posts, and I learned of a major character's death at the end. Son of a bitch...now I don't even want the fucking game.

2d1pso6.gif

I'd still get it. You'd be missing out on a great game.

Draft

How do people use shock troopers? My opinion is that their movement range is too small, and I'd rather bring scouts or engineers in their place.

neight

Banned
Snaku said:
Mother fuck.

2d1pso6.gif
You play games for stories? Just wait for the Valkyria Chronicles anime then.

Baha

Draft said:
How do people use shock troopers? My opinion is that their movement range is too small, and I'd rather bring scouts or engineers in their place.

They're really effective for taking down enemy aces. Their movement range becomes a non-issue when you place them in front of your scouts and the fact that they fire 20 bullets instead of 5 makes it easier for them to get headshots and critical hits.

Mother fuck.

If you enjoyed the demo, you should get it. The game's biggest selling point aside from the art style is the gameplay imo. It's really a fresh of breath air in a genre where 2D sprites on 2D/3D backgrounds and grinding have prevailed for so long. Give it a chance, worse case scenario you end up returning the game.

buffi

Banned
Draft said:

Elite stormtroopers rape crouching units/units behind cover

Xisiqomelir

Draft said:

Load up on single-unit boost orders, then run in and cause death.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Draft said:

Depending on the battle its good to use 2 turns or so on just 1 Shocktrooper only because there good at taking damage and can charge a group of guys unlike a scout wholl get shot down really quick.
Also the flamethrower for grass/crouching units

Snaku

Banned
Baha said:
If you enjoyed the demo, you should get it. The game's biggest selling point aside from the art style is the gameplay imo. It's really a fresh of breath air in a genre where 2D sprites on 2D/3D backgrounds and grinding have prevailed for so long. Give it a chance, worse case scenario you end up returning the game.

Loved the demo, but it still pisses me off...

MoogPaul

Draft said:

I didn't use them too much till I got the increased clip size for the gun. It gave them 30 bullets instead of 20. Then it's headshot city from 2 feet away.

Draft said:

you'll love shock troppers once you realize you can kill groups of enemies with the flame throwers.

also they are good when brute force is needed instead of finese.

on one of the optional missions the
one where you have to take the moutain base
, i pretty much soloed the entire thing with Jane and got an A.

radiantdreamer said:
For scouts, the damage; for troopers, the bigger clip. Scouts shoot from a distance and have higher accuracy, so you're relying on them to land all their bullets, most as headshots. If they do, it's a kill either way. Troopers fire from closer ranges, and the number of extra bullets almost always overcomes the damage-per-bullet discrepancy. If you find yourself firing with troopers from a distance, though, this may not be true.

Draft said:
Depends how you play. High rank rewards (and the thematic "let's just stop their advance" attitude of Gallia) push you toward blitzkrieg sweeps into enemy camps. In those cases, scouts really are the only necessity.

However, in the couple of maps where you have to kill everyone, in a few missions where the enemies are bunched up, or in cases where you have to run past/through heavy machine gun defenses, troopers are really good. By the midgame, they're four or five times tougher than a scout, so they make for great defenders too: they can hold chokepoints by themselves against most opposition. Of course, you'll get lower rankings because defensive postures, or advancing slowly, take longer. But you'll have a ton of fun watching those baddies keel over.

Something I'd like to see in the sequel, though, is an APC you can control. It could be lighter, without much offensive armament, but able to carry troopers to a forward deployment point so they have a longer strike distance in a single turn. The drawback, of course, is that you could lose a bunch of units at once if the APC got taken out.

Aurelius

Just finished level 11.

Damn, Isara dies?!? I did not see that coming.

At least I earned the ability to use
Flamethrowers
:D

ianp622

Draft said:

They are also good for defense. On one level with infinite reinforcements, Rosie behind a sandbag alone managed to kill a wave of 6 units every turn.

Durante

I also use shocktroopers very rarely for offensive actions. Even though they are powerful in many situations I'm just not patient enough to wait for them to arrive.

ianp622 said:
They are also good for defense. On one level with infinite reinforcements, Rosie behind a sandbag alone managed to kill a wave of 6 units every turn.
Ha, seems like we had the exact same setup in that mission. Rosie was really awesome there.

Vard

distantmantra said:
Has Sega said anything about the DLC recently?
Not really recently, but shortly after the game came out they did say "early 2009" for the add-ons in NA and EU. Good to know that is coming, at least.

vpance

Aurelius said:
Just finished level 11.

Damn, Isara dies?!? I did not see that coming.

Yeah that was a shock. Didnt see it coming at all either since the story seemed pretty upbeat up to that point for the most part. Rosie's song was nice :(

Darkpen

Banned
Draft said:
They have incredibly high defense, which helps for breaking through defenses, and scorching them once within range.

Snaku: I don't know what to tell ya, bro; you've only got yourself to blame. You would've been fine with either language, but now the big twist is ruined. Personally, I suggest picking it up at a later date, when you've forgotten, and aren't as bothered by the spoiler.

Liabe Brave: I completely agree with everything you said, though I'd note just how much the flamethrower is almost always the only worthwhile close-range attack, making the large clip model kind of useless.

I also find there's a certain addictive appeal to blitzkreiging the hell out of missions :lol especially during the subsequent playthroughs.

El-Suave

Draft said:

One hit flamethrower kills are incredibly useful later in the game. Also as the enemy got better I found myself replacing additional scouts with shocktroopers quite often. When you're facing missions where the enemy is using lots of them and is on offence in general, they're invaluable.

Choc

Banned
Guys is this game difficult? I am somewhat getting into RPGs but always get stuck in some ones where ineed to grind and grind and i dont like that :(

Choc said:
Guys is this game difficult? I am somewhat getting into RPGs but always get stuck in some ones where ineed to grind and grind and i dont like that :(
It's a bit difficult which is not a bad thing because you don't need to grind unless you suck in SRPGs.

Top Bottom