• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

ZeroRay

Made it to Act 2, Mission 3.

Amazing so far. Looks like a game I'll pop in for years when I just feel like shooting things.

robor

After reading Jim Sterling's review I noticed something crucial, he doesn't mention AR mode once. Not in it's application, not in it's relationship to the game world and enemies, not even a mention of it's existence. The fact that it's completely ignored illustrates just how pathological his analysis truly is.

robor said:
After reading Jim Sterling's review I noticed something crucial, he doesn't mention AR mode once. Not in it's application, not in it's relationship to the game world and enemies, not even a mention of it's existence. The fact that it's completely ignored illustrates just how pathological his analysis truly is.
Jim Sterling is a shitty reviewer that doesn't deserve the benefit of ever being a topic of discussion. Let's stop talking about him. :)

This game is a nice challenge on the Hard difficulty..

I did so badly on the second mission I ended up with a negative 600 score :lol

so I re-played it and I ended up with 14500.. :D

robor said:

Is he the same guy that wrote that awful Castlevania review? if so I wont even waste my time reading his review.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
I'm running out to Kmart to get this today, and I have both a PS3 and Xbox 360. Is there any real reason to get one version over the other (much like with Bayonetta)?

I just picked up my copy from Kmart. I bought New Vegas, Vanquish and Castlevania.

I love getting 20 dollar gift cards and 30 dollar discounts. lol

I think I might play Vanquish until New Vegas gets patched.

wow what a variety of review scores. it looks like the kind of game I would like, its more an issue of at what price I get it. there is only one real issue I have:

can someone explain why melee uses the same energy as the boost? isnt that bad? I mean why would you ever use melee? it sounds like a disincentive. melee should be high risk high reward, given that you can shoot your gun without using up boost (and at range too, which I imagine is safer than being at melee range)

it just seems poorly balanced. given the care in the rest of the game, I imagine I am missing something but can someone explain please.

other than that, sounds awesome way way better than the MOH, COD etc boring same FPS games have played 100 times before

jett

D-Member
cleveridea said:
wow what a variety of review scores. it looks like the kind of game I would like, its more an issue of at what price I get it. there is only one real issue I have:

can someone explain why melee uses the same energy as the boost? isnt that bad? I mean why would you ever use melee? it sounds like a disincentive. melee should be high risk high reward, given that you can shoot your gun without using up boost (and at range too, which I imagine is safer than being at melee range)

it just seems poorly balanced. given the care in the rest of the game, I imagine I am missing something but can someone explain please.

other than that, sounds awesome way way better than the MOH, COD etc boring same FPS games have played 100 times before

You have not played the demo, have you. Melee attacks are super overpowered and kill mostly anything in one hit.

Beezy

cleveridea said:
can someone explain why melee uses the same energy as the boost?
Your melee attacks are really powerful. The game would be really fucking easy if it wasn't this way. You'd be able to dash up to every enemy and take them out with one or two hits.

Its a shooter not a brawler
Melee is there for those times when your stuck between a robot and a hard place.
Be glad its instant kill, use the combo melee attack, run to cover and shoot while you wait for your boost to recharge.

and most melee attacks can be followed by ARS mode to give you time to take out the pests that our in your face.

The game is balanced, you just have to make sure you use the tools given to you effectively

Adam J.

practice02 said:
Can we talk about how long and uninformative that opening movie is?

I thought all in all, the opening of the game was poorly executed. I wanted the game to start up like the demo--just drop me into the action and have Burns scream the gist of why I'm on the space station while I'm dropkicking/shooting robots (that would have worked for me).

I played up to Act 4 last night and the game is starting to hit RE4 levels of awesomeness. I'm assuming there is only one more act to go...Going to be sad when it's over.

george_us

Shurs said:
I really don't see why melee had to be completely taken away when out of boost. They could of just let you use a powered down version of it similar to what they do with the dodge roll.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
CaptYamato said:
BS. This game gets started once you first get control of Sam.

Technically, yes. That may be enough for you. I wanted more.

LiK

Koralsky said:
Yeah, same here.

So, Europe had like 4 different editions?

Normal; with Lenticular Sleeve; Steelbook Edition and zavvi's Limited Edition With Figurine?

yea, and US got boring regular.

Adam J. said:
I thought all in all, the opening of the game was poorly executed. I wanted the game to start up like the demo--just drop me into the action and have Burns scream the gist of why I'm on the space station while I'm dropkicking/shooting robots (that would have worked for me).

I played up to Act 4 last night and the game is starting to hit RE4 levels of awesomeness. I'm assuming there is only one more act to go...Going to be sad when it's over.
And what's up with that pointless part were you see those dudes get sucked out of the haul breaches it's like ten seconds of controlling the character and then back to cutscenes. My girlfriend was watching the begining and shes halfway through she was like " did I wiss something what is happening now?" If I hadn't been foloowing the games coverage I would barely understand what was going on.

MrMephistoX

Great demo but I'm so backlogged right now (Castlevania, Dead Rising 2, Fallout 3, Yakuza 3, Demon's Souls, CIV V, Starcraft 2) that this and Enslaved are going to have to wait.

Adam J.

practice02 said:
And what's up with that pointless part were you see those dudes get sucked out of the haul breaches it's like ten seconds of controlling the character and then back to cutscenes. My girlfriend was watching the begining and shes halfway through she was like " did I wiss something what is happening now?" If I hadn't been foloowing the games coverage I would barely understand what was going on.

Yeah the "have run your character down the hall for 15 seconds then cut to cutscene" started giving me MGS4 flashbacks.

greenjerk said:
Didn't get to play until late last night but loving it so far.
Any whispers of DLC?

The Gamestop pre-order gun pack is expected to become dlc but I don't believe there's been official confirmation on that yet.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I sooo want to be playing this but the game broke amazon in my case :X The order has been "stuck" for 3 days now and still says it will be delivered yesterday. I've talked to Amazon tech people and they can't touch it either. Can't cancel, can't ship. Order is just "stuck". So they're working with the higher ups who will work with the higher ups until something happens. Game was too awesome for Amazon AI to handle.

:(

Guess I'll just keep playing the demo for another week :(

Forbiden

rvy said:
About to order. 360 or PS3? Still haven't figured this shit out.

From what I saw in a comparison vid, 360 has locked 30fps but there is screen tearing. PS3 dips to about 26fps sometimes but no screen tearing. Other than that there is next to no difference in the graphical department.

rvy

Banned
Forbiden said:
From what I saw in a comparison vid, 360 has locked 30fps but there is screen tearing. PS3 dips to about 26fps sometimes but no screen tearing. Other than that there is next to no difference in the graphical department.
Tough choice. Not big on framerate dips, it bothers me far more than screen-tearing.

JoeFenix

The 360 version is definitely NOT locked at 30 fps, it dips fairly frequently and there is screen tearing, the game mostly runs smooth but it's certainly not locked down.

Top Bottom