• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
greenjerk said:
Didn't get to play until late last night but loving it so far.
Any whispers of DLC?

My guess is they'll make all the guns you could get with a Gamestop preorder as DLC. Possibly new suits as well. If this happens it'll probably be around mid November.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
New suits for DLC would actually be a great idea (especially if they actually have different stats, like shorter/longer boost, higher/lower overheat, weapons effects, throwing range, etc). That would probably get me to play through the game again.

rvy

Banned
thetrin said:
New suits for DLC would actually be a great idea (especially if they actually have different stats, like shorter/longer boost, higher/lower overheat, weapons effects, throwing range, etc). That would probably get me to play through the game again.
Please, someone tweet Mikami, Inaba or Kamiya about this. They all go out drinking, there's bound to be positive developments!

Thanks for shopping with GAME. We have the pleasure of acknowledging receipt of your order.

Order Number(s):07901077/P

ORDER NUMBER: 07901077/P Available: [22-Oct-2010]

Qty MediaID Description Price Total
1 351698 Vanquish Steelbook Edition (PlaySta... 39.99 GBP 39.99 GBP

DELIVERY: 2.95 GBP
TOTAL: 42.94 GBP

And now we wait.

badcrumble said:
Does this stay with you on a second playthrough? :/
No New Game+, which is reasonable considering that the ability to upgrade and downgrade is eliminated in God Hard.

Personally, I don't think new suits would add anything to the game that already isn't there. I would like to see more challenges and new encounters.

so i'm sitting here at work, having bought the game last night, installed it, but didn't get to play it.

i'm also sitting here wondering "wait, i pre-ordered the game for those extra weapons, where are they?" is there something in the game case for those or was i supposed to get some kind of bonus code from gamestop?

Empty

what's the level design like in the full version? is it mostly just big arenas like in the demo with lots of space for you to approach it how you want, or are there corridors and smaller platforms with less freedom but more focused design.

Jinaar

I played up to Level 1 Stage 5, I believe. I had to stop due to the bleeding from my nose. This game is what the military uses to strap test subjects to chairs and force them to watch countless amounts of insane footage continuously to make the ultimate super weapon. Someone injected steroids into this game and it is Roid Raging, without stopping to view the destruction in it's own wake.

Must play more tonight.

Rabbitwork said:
so i'm sitting here at work, having bought the game last night, installed it, but didn't get to play it.

i'm also sitting here wondering "wait, i pre-ordered the game for those extra weapons, where are they?" is there something in the game case for those or was i supposed to get some kind of bonus code from gamestop?
They should have printed it out for you.

Empty said:
what's the level design like in the full version? is it mostly just big arenas like in the demo with lots of space for you to approach it how you want, or are there corridors and smaller platforms with less freedom but more focused design.
Lots of variation. None of the spaces are small enough to constrain you to a certain method of play.

CaptYamato said:
Yeah. This didn't happen for me, so I'm getting the code emailed to me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rabbitwork said:

The GameStop employee probably forgot to print out a code for you. Head back to GameStop and have them print you out a code.

adversesolutions said:
Fuck.

I am LOVING this game.

Played from 10 pm to 2am in the blink of an eye. Tomorrow, Act 3 here I come. Start on Hard, it's way more fun!

Wait... you didn't beat it in that time?
:p

How are you guys playing Vanquish?

Are some of you run- ...I mean Slide-N-Gunning? Are some of you Duck-N-Cover?

...Or are some of you Slide-Gun-Slow-Cover-Vault-Slow-Gun-Slide-Melee-Gunning etc...

Im still trying to master this style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswf37_pQLE
but I keep getting distracted by the sights and sounds of war on the battlefield

In a no-one-cares update, I have officially finished my exams/paper for this week and will tear Vanquish apart when I get back from my night class and all day tomorrow.

I have all the excite.

So.....

just finished my playthrough @ 6:17. Powered through this one. REALLY loved the game. The story basically was bullshit, but I expected that and it didn't hamper my experience at all.

A couple cool easter eggs in there. My favorite was
when you are trying to get into the Kreon and you are fighting alongside "S. Mikami". Of Course he never dies (unlike all the other normal grunts he is seemingly impervious to attacks).
I really enjoyed the weapon upgrade system. It was easily exploitable at times, but fun.

One of the few games I've finished that has come out this year, and I'd have to say one of my favorite games this year.

Amir0x

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
So.....

just finished my playthrough @ 6:17. Powered through this one. REALLY loved the game. The story basically was bullshit, but I expected that and it didn't hamper my experience at all..

Yeah the story was horrendous. Just pitiable really.

But all game stories are terrible so it didn't distract me since it's not really a story focused game. It's a CRAZY BADASS HOLY SHIT arcade game.

Reminds me of a lot of the good games that used to come out for Dreamcast.

mw2st1.jpg

Drachma: Skies of Arcadia

burnsjyr2.png

Lt. Col. Robert Burns: Vanquish

They even shoot their arms out. :lol

Finished.

Totally called
Burns being a boss fight.

He was pretty disappointing though. :/

Double Bogey, on the other hand, was just insane.

I was all like "Holy shit, two Anubis-es. What the fuck!". :lol

CaptYamato said:
you know he did mumble something about something on the receipt, i was just so anxious for him to shut the fuck up so i could leave i totally spaced it. i'll check once i get home.

thanks for the response though.

Amir0x said:
But all game stories are terrible so it didn't distract me since it's not really a story focused game. It's a CRAZY BADASS HOLY SHIT arcade game.

Exactly.

That's the way to approach this game, and if you come into it with those expectations you will love it. The mechanics of they game just made me flow mission to mission

Fimbulvetr said:
Finished.

Totally called
Burns being a boss fight.

He was pretty disappointing though. :/

Double Bogey, on the other hand, was just insane.

I was all like "Holy shit, two Anubis-es. What the fuck!". :lol

I actually thought
the Double Bogey fight was gonna be a lot more difficult than it ended up being. The only reason I even died at all during that fight was because of the button pressing sequence at the end after you beat them both

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, finally got the hang of it and absolutely love it. An absolute adrenaline rush with a ridiculous number of options available to the player.

Shame the framerate drops so often when things get heavy.

Amir0x said:
Yeah the story was horrendous. Just pitiable really.

Reminds me of a lot of the good games that used to come out for Dreamcast.
Some game stories can be enjoyable, though. Doesn't mean they're great, but Vanquish is MUCH worse than any other recent game I can think of that attempted to tell a story. Doesn't impact the game, though.

The only thing that is slightly annoying is that they use cutscenes as loading screens simply because they seemingly could not handle level streaming fast enough. They occasionally use those first person segments, but in general, cutscenes are used to hide transitions from area to area. Not a bad way to do it, of course, as it feels seamless in the end, but it does result in a lot of break up in the action.

Amir0x

Banned
i am thinking of a game story that is enjoyable, and the only ones i like are the ones that are either so self-aware that they're making commentary on how shitty game stories are or... they're Planescape Torment.

MikeE21286 said:
Exactly.

That's the way to approach this game, and if you come into it with those expectations you will love it.

If you go into 99.9% of games expecting a good story you're going to be disappointed.

Forgot to mention that God Hard is like Bayonetta in the sense that it does change enemy arrangement up. The two MOAs in Act 1: Mission 3 - GIANT are replaced two Romanov-N units, and some areas where regular Gorgie-USN units spawn will have Gorgie-USS or USR units. There are other things that get rearranged, but I'm not going to list all of them.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
MikeE21286 said:
That's the way to approach this game, and if you come into it with those expectations you will love it. The mechanics of they game just made me flow mission to mission

That was one of the things I really admired most about the game. I didn't know where the last chapter ended and the next chapter began. It really all flowed so well.

Erebus

dark10x said:
Shame the framerate drops so often when things get heavy.
While this is true jumping from Enslaved (PS3 version) straight to Vanquish feels like the game is actually running at 60fps. :lol
Plus, I love the fluidity of the controls.

I had figured that the story was gonna be ridiculous from the demo and the trailers but everything else in the game is good so far that I don't really care.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just started playing the game today. I'm technically still at work, so I felt guilty playing more than the first couple missions (despite not being on the clock). So far, the game is fucking exhilarating. I absolutely love it. I don't know if I could handle this kind of speed and chaos for more than 5 hours. :lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I never saw in drops in framerate. And it seemed like the framerate was much more fluid than Castlevania. There was just as much detail and activity on the screen. My only problem was that it ended too quickly. It seemed things were just getting started. Oh well, I'm 3 quarters the way through my second playthrough. I think 3rd playthrough I'll use the diskgun (wateveritscalled). Curious to see what that does when it's maxed out.

taoofjord

Near the end of Act 1 and I'm absolutely in love with the game. It's not on God Hand's level but it's far, far better than I thought it'd be. You really have to use everything at your disposal when playing on hard difficulty (except maybe for melee?). You'd have one hell of a time strictly using the assault rifle like one reviewer said. I'm thinking the game is "meant" to be played on hard because of this. It feels intense and tactical. You have to be fully aware of everything on the battlefield to avoid the one-hit kill attacks as well as make sure you don't overheat your armor unless you have to.

I'm still not sure why I'd want to use a melee attack on a baddie other than for fun or when you're down to the last guy in the area. I'm assuming it's good to melee the bigger guys sometimes (even though it puts you in dangerous proximity to die immediately). Without spoiling anything, are there times when it would benefit you to use your melee attack?

Also, I dig the arcade feel of it. I like the game doesn't save any extra powers or weapons for later in the game. It's all about getting better as a player and playing each battle however you want. Personally, I think there's more replayability to this game then people give it credit for. God Hard mode is almost definitely worth playing through.

Shurs

I'm in to the Third Act. This game is really awesome. It "gets" battles against huge enemies in a way that I wish Resistance 2 would have.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
AAAAAAAWESOME game so far

started on Hard, pretty hard but its nothing too punishing

im on the
double giant robot fight, after the awesome train ride

Raxus

I need to get used to sliding. It is tricky to slide and trigger the ARS suit since my hands don't normally hold the controller in that fashion.

Curufinwe

You can also trigger the ARS suit while boosting just by shooting.

This is not ideal for every situation or weapon, but it does reduce the amount of times you have to press both left-side shoulder buttons at once.

thetrin

Raxus said:
I need to get used to sliding. It is tricky to slide and trigger the ARS suit since my hands don't normally hold the controller in that fashion.

Yeah. Often if I want to slide and shoot at the same time, I need to put both the index and middle finger on the controller. I usually don't do that.

Dizzle24

Started Monday, finished tonight. 28 deaths total...but awesome ride! I can't wait for the sequel to see what new stuff Platinum will add to Sam's arsenal.

I do want some DLC; new guns and maybe skins for the suit or the "extra" we get at the end of the final battle.

It's like Bayonetta in space!

Top Bottom