• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just bought this game.

Holy shit even the first level is a bit overwhelming. In between all the explosions, passing bullets, or what have you, it is somewhat difficult to discern between friend and foe.

Definitely requires some time to get used to the atmosphere.

Are the overall rankings not working for anyone else? I can check my ranking for any individual mission, but the the rankings for a complete playthrough wont load for me.

Started Hard mode. Going for time completion bonuses.

practice02 said:
contrary to the way it would seem based on the quality of the games they are throwing a lot of money at sonic game development.
Well, hopefully they'll see that, if this game doesn't perform to their expectations, it was due to lack of marketing and not due to the fact that this game, when it comes down to it, is for the hardcore.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So for my third playthrough, I decided to do a Casual No-Death run to get that achievement and the pangloss statues.

In truth, casual mode should be renamed, "Sucking on a Momma's Teet Baby Mode".

All of the Gorgie's, even the souped up ones like the yellow ones and the jetpack blues can be killed in just a couple shots to the head with the assault rifle. Romanovs will die to a single sliding melee kick into slow mo assault rifle barrage. You can destroy tanks with a single rocket to the weak point.

And all those attacks that immediately bump you into the red on Normal and Hard mode will still keep you in the clear on Casual. I actually only went into the red once during the whole playthrough and that was on the
Lt. Col. Burns
boss battle.

ZealousD said:
I decided to do a Casual No-Death run to get that achievement and the pangloss statues.
I wonder if I can get that trophy by replaying only the missions where I died on my normal playthrough.

Give it some time to upload.
Nah, I mean the leaderboard isn't even loading. The loading indicator just keeps on spinning forever.

slaughterking said:
Nah, I mean the leaderboard isn't even loading. The loading indicator just keeps on spinning forever.
Ah, yeah. Sometimes that happens for me. I think it's my internet connection, though. PSN and Wi-Fi don't seem to get along at all. Whenever it does happen, I just go back to playing the game.

Yeah well, it just seems so random, because I can see the leaderboards for individual missions just fine, but I could never get the overall ranking to work.
Whenever it does happen, I just go back to playing the game.
That is indeed an adequate alternitive, though. :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
slaughterking said:
I wonder if I can get that trophy by replaying only the missions where I died on my normal playthrough.

I don't believe you can. The achievement only unlocked when my final playthrough ranking popped up, so I even had to do the credits mini-game again.

ZealousD said:
I don't believe you can. The achievement only unlocked when my final playthrough ranking popped up, so I even had to do the credits mini-game again.
Hm, I thought so. I think I'll try it anyway, though. :I

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
So the thing in this game is to not use too much cover? Go out and go nuts?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dgenx said:
So the thing in this game is to not use too much cover? Go out and go nuts?
The trick is to learn how to manually trigger slow-mo and to go from there. Cover can be useful from time to time, but managing the risk versus reward of the suit meter is where a lot of the interesting situations in the game come from.

unless the leaderboards have a cutoff things are not looking good sales-wise. just checked a while ago and for 1-2 on norm there were only 22XXX (other difficulties were much, much, lower.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
The trick is to learn how to manually trigger slow-mo and to go from there. Cover can be useful from time to time, but managing the risk versus reward of the suit meter is where a lot of the interesting situations in the game come from.
Trick? It's like, two buttons!

I feel that I'm spamming that too much. For me, the game became an exercise of sliding into range, engaging AR mode and finding the balance between how many enemies I could pick off without depleting the meter. It's also one of the rare times that I, willingly or otherwise, would clean up the low-tier enemies before working my way up the food chain. Compare for the recent Halo games, where I would off the Elite/Brute leading a squad in order to disperse the grunts. Compare again for Bayonetta where the toughest enemy on screen was frequently the priority and I'd limit attacking low-end baddies for crowd control purposes or to maintain a combo.

Bernbaum said:
Compare for the recent Halo games, where I would off the Elite/Brute leading a squad in order to disperse the grunts.
Really? Well at least in most recent Halo I would say you should take out the smallest enemies first because they are the easiest to take down while they can kill you just as easily as any other enemy in the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The train set piece in Act 2 is INSANE. I thought Uncharted 2 had the best one I've seen so far, but DAMN. Just crazy.
It's pretty good, but the train in Uncharted 2 was a much larger set piece and the background scenery was much more varied. Plus, it even managed to move from jungle to snowy mountain seamlessly.

Vanquish was a step below that, but still very impressive.

Lostconfused said:
Oh yeah that got me to, bastard move.

Edit: Also was kind of weird seeing this boss in the game

*GP02a*

yeah, between that, funnels, space colonies, etc. it makes a gundam fan happy

I'm also pretending that the final boss
color scheme is because of vayeate and mercuriu from Gundam Wing (and not Fujin/Raijin)

Bernbaum said:
Trick? It's like, two buttons!

I feel that I'm spamming that too much. For me, the game became an exercise of sliding into range, engaging AR mode and finding the balance between how many enemies I could pick off without depleting the meter. It's also one of the rare times that I, willingly or otherwise, would clean up the low-tier enemies before working my way up the food chain. Compare for the recent Halo games, where I would off the Elite/Brute leading a squad in order to disperse the grunts. Compare again for Bayonetta where the toughest enemy on screen was frequently the priority and I'd limit attacking low-end baddies for crowd control purposes or to maintain a combo.

Dude, have you played on legendary? Grunts with grenades, charged pistols and that covenant-missile launcher can kill you in a breeze.... The right tactic is to kill those first from far enough with the dmr and then get closer to the elites and take off their shield with a plasma pistol...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Asura's Wrath pretty much looks as close as we'll ever get to God Hand 2, unless Mikami makes another brawler.

Trailer
Man... thank you for bringing my attention to this.
If it plays anything like a current-gen God Hand, I'll be all over it. Know where we can find any more solid deets?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Animator said:
Congrats you keep using the one move available to you out of two dozen over and over.

The game is as fun as as you make it. You can stay back in cover at the entrance to the stage and plink away at the robots from a distance but that sure as shit not going to get you the time completion bonus at the end of the round. The whole point of the game is to push yourself to do better. Go hop out of that cover and shotgun some robot mid air and then switch to sniper and snipe the other in the back while you are boosting and drop a grenade in between the two robots you just passed all in the span of 10 seconds and then light up a smoke while you are waiting for your suit to cool down and you will start to get this game.
Inspiring! Very well-put, sir :)
FrostuTheNinja said:
Bayonetta has boobies.
Another case-in-point right here :lol

rvy

Banned
Great job, GAME. You dicks. I order a fucking Steelbook and you dipshits send me a regular version with a lenticular sleeve. Awesome. Fucking great.

54-46!

B-Genius said:
Man... thank you for bringing my attention to this.
If it plays anything like a current-gen God Hand, I'll be all over it. Know where we can find any more solid deets?
It'll probably play more like those Naruto games than anything simliar to God Hand (or DMC for that matter).

rvy

Banned
Hi Rui,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your copy of Vanquish. We understand that this was described as a steel book edition and was instead sent with special 3D cover art.

We are currently working on the best way to resolve this for all affected customers and will be sending out further details later today..
I apologise for any disappointment this may have caused.

Regards,

Charlotte H

The Team at GAME

Seems like it's not a mistake and there's no Steelbook. Awesome.

eshwaaz

ZealousD said:
So for my third playthrough, I decided to do a Casual No-Death run to get that achievement and the pangloss statues.

In truth, casual mode should be renamed, "Sucking on a Momma's Teet Baby Mode".

All of the Gorgie's, even the souped up ones like the yellow ones and the jetpack blues can be killed in just a couple shots to the head with the assault rifle. Romanovs will die to a single sliding melee kick into slow mo assault rifle barrage. You can destroy tanks with a single rocket to the weak point.

And all those attacks that immediately bump you into the red on Normal and Hard mode will still keep you in the clear on Casual. I actually only went into the red once during the whole playthrough and that was on the
Lt. Col. Burns
boss battle.
I give them a lot of credit for putting such an easy mode into Vanquish (and Bayonetta). Very few devs make the effort to allow gamers of any skill level to enjoy and finish their games - give the hardcore the challenge they crave, while letting casual gamers have fun and still get to experience the entire game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
54-46! said:
It'll probably play more like those Naruto games than anything simliar to God Hand (or DMC for that matter).
Well, I wouldn't mind a hack'n'slash/brawler that played like UNS2. It's definitely not gonna be a fighting game, right? And it's not gonna be an RPG like .hack, so let's wait and see. That trailer has me pumped the same way Vanquish did anyway :)
rvy said:
Seems like it's not a mistake and there's no Steelbook. Awesome.
That's bullshiz. You can walk into any GAME on the highstreet and they should have the steelbook version there. Keep pestering or give 'em a call - they are usually pretty good when it comes to correcting mistakes.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I've only been briskly following this thread, but it seems to have gone from hype (trailer, Mikami, Platinum) to disgust (over a review and game length) to hype (game is in people's hands) again.

Classic GAF. :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Princess Skittles said:
I've only been briskly following this thread, but it seems to have gone from hype (trailer, Mikami, Platinum) to disgust (over a review and game length) to hype (game is in people's hands) again.

Classic GAF. :)
Mate, it's been constant hype for a lot of us from beginning to end. GAF will almost always go through this cycle for such games.

My only disgust is with the lack of sales. But then, as people have pointed out, it's sure to keep trickling money in down the line. Let's just enjoy!

ultron87

Viewing the progress of this thread through its title changes make me really excited for when I eventually borrow this game from my brother. :lol

rvy said:
Great job, GAME. You dicks. I order a fucking Steelbook and you dipshits send me a regular version with a lenticular sleeve. Awesome. Fucking great.

Fuck! You know what, in my hype to get started into it when my copy arrived last Thursday, I've just realised the same thing happened to me! >:|
£5 more too! I cancelled my £34.99 preorder for the regular edition to the £39.99 steelbook edition. Email being typed up right now.

rvy

Banned
B-Genius said:
That's bullshiz. You can walk into any GAME on the highstreet and they should have the steelbook version there. Keep pestering or give 'em a call - they are usually pretty good when it comes to correcting mistakes.
Unless you can confirm that they're selling the Steelbook in stores, I can't really bitch at them about it. Could have gotten it cheaper. Fuck, this pisses me off.

Koralsky said:
TDdxq.gif
Vanquish, you were far too pretty for this world

Empty

Man, those poor uk sales really bum me out. It's probably Sega's fault for not plastering ads everywhere with 'from the director of the critically acclaimed masterpiece RESIDENT EVIL 4 comes another brilliant third person action shooter' splashed next to gameplay footage that literally sells itself, and letting it get completely overwhelmed attention wise by Fallout, Kirby and all the other fall stuff, but at least they took a bit of a risk and published it. Yet, it means that the most inventive and well put together shooter in years is being ignored by so many people who would love it, it further perpetuates the idea that you must have multiplayer to succeed with a shooter in this market, and it's going to kill any chances of a sequel, which sucks as combat mechanics that sublime and brilliant don't deserve to be relegated just to one game. :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Based on the Digital Foundry Face-Off, the two versions are practically identical with the exception being that the X360 controls are slightly more responsive. Well done! I am still on the fence about which version to get.

DrBo42

Animator said:
Congrats you keep using the one move available to you out of two dozen over and over.

The game is as fun as as you make it. You can stay back in cover at the entrance to the stage and plink away at the robots from a distance but that sure as shit not going to get you the time completion bonus at the end of the round. The whole point of the game is to push yourself to do better. Go hop out of that cover and shotgun some robot mid air and then switch to sniper and snipe the other in the back while you are boosting and drop a grenade in between the two robots you just passed all in the span of 10 seconds and then light up a smoke while you are waiting for your suit to cool down and you will start to get this game.

I appreciate the honesty. I'm about to load it up and try again. It's really hard for me personally to I guess "de-program" myself from conventional cover shooters. It's always been that risk = death rather than reward.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
B-Genius said:
Mate, it's been constant hype for a lot of us from beginning to end. GAF will almost always go through this cycle for such games.

My only disgust is with the lack of sales. But then, as people have pointed out, it's sure to keep trickling money in down the line. Let's just enjoy!
Yay! It's on my birthday/Christmas list, can't wait.

Top Bottom