• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

JoeFenix

Man, this game rivals Bayonetta for me... Never thought I would say this about a game released this year, Holy shit it's sooo goood! :D

Footos22

rvy said:
Unless you can confirm that they're selling the Steelbook in stores, I can't really bitch at them about it. Could have gotten it cheaper. Fuck, this pisses me off.

I picked up a copy on the shelf at game station and he said " We have the normal edition for £34.99 if you want to save yourself a fiver or you can stick with the steel book."

"steelbook please"

Got home and found it was just plastic with cardboard sleeve on

so yeah definatly not selling steelbooks

For me i dont really care cos ill prob platinum it within 10 days and take it back for full no quibble refund

Love gamestation

Curufinwe

I found the review from GameCritics interesting given the bizarre theories certain podcast hosts have been advancing as to why Vanquish has been reviewing quite well.

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/vanquish-review

I admit it. I'm really not the biggest fan of Platinum Games or their former incarnation, Clover Studios. I didn't care for Infinite Space, got bored with Madworld, and Bayonetta was one out-of-control hot mess. But what about their latest title, Vanquish? While it's got the same eye-catching sense of style that is common to the studio's work, something deeper has been created here... something amazing.

My highest possible praise goes out to Shinji Mikami and Platinum Games, and my sympathies go out to every third-person shooter that comes after Vanquish—it's an impossible act to follow. Rating: 9.0 out of 10.

rvy

Banned
De4th Strike said:
I picked up a copy on the shelf at game station and he said " We have the normal edition for £34.99 if you want to save yourself a fiver or you can stick with the steel book."

"steelbook please"

Got home and found it was just plastic with cardboard sleeve on

so yeah definatly not selling steelbooks

For me i dont really care cos ill prob platinum it within 10 days and take it back for full no quibble refund

Love gamestation
Motherfuckers...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
rvy said:
Unless you can confirm that they're selling the Steelbook in stores, I can't really bitch at them about it. Could have gotten it cheaper. Fuck, this pisses me off.
I can confirm it, but afraid I can't prove it! Was in GAME in Oxford Street at the weekend, but didn't take any pics ;)

If you ordered steelbook and didn't get it, you have a right to bitch, whether it's available online or not. I'm sure if you take the copy and your mail receipt into a shop and tell them what happened, they will swap it for you.

I actually did that with Bayonetta, just because it arrived late. They swapped the late PS3 version for a 360 copy at my request - a blessing in disguise :)

rvy

Banned
B-Genius said:
I can confirm it, but afraid I can't prove it! Was in GAME in Oxford Street at the weekend, but didn't take any pics ;)

If you ordered steelbook and didn't get it, you have a right to bitch, whether it's available online or not. I'm sure if you take the copy and your mail receipt into a shop and tell them what happened, they will swap it for you.

I actually did that with Bayonetta, just because it arrived late. They swapped the late PS3 version for a 360 copy at my request - a blessing in disguise :)
The thing is, I don't live in the UK. Posting this is going to take 3 or 4 days. And that's if they're even willing to give me the steelbook. Supposedly they're going to announce something later today, I'll wait to see what happens. It's a very shitty thing to do though, I mean, they're selling these in stores and the guys who went through the trouble of pre-ordering and paying more and getting fucked in the ass.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
rvy said:
The thing is, I don't live in the UK. Posting this is going to take 3 or 4 days. And that's if they're even willing to give me the steelbook. Supposedly they're going to announce something later today, I'll wait to see what happens. It's a very shitty thing to do though, I mean, they're selling these in stores and the guys who went through the trouble of pre-ordering and paying more and getting fucked in the ass.
Crap, I didn't realise you weren't UK-based :(
Let us know about the "announcement" later. In the meantime, steelbooks are definitely real (steel box with plastic sleeve as opposed to regular box with lenticular sleeve), and they are definitely being sold here.

It is a poo situation, especially having to wait even if they do sort it out. At least you can enjoy the actual game for now, right?

epmode

So I wound up loving this game. But I've gotta say that it took a lot for me to buy this shit at full price knowing full well that a few honest-to-god weapons are forever locked away from me because I didn't preorder. It's insane.

This isn't horse armor, it's a goddamned unique weapon in a game ABOUT weapons. It's a vindictive policy and Sega should get hit by a truck because of it.

Lostconfused said:
Well there is that one time where it becomes better for a few seconds.
Yeah, but it's pretty consistent with what we're presented with. This isn't Metroid or Zone of the Enders. (Thank god it isn't anything like the latter. Instead it's actually a good game.)

rvy

Banned
B-Genius said:
Crap, I didn't realise you weren't UK-based :(
Let us know about the "announcement" later. In the meantime, steelbooks are definitely real (steel box with plastic sleeve as opposed to regular box with lenticular sleeve), and they are definitely being sold here.

It is a poo situation, especially having to wait even if they do sort it out. At least you can enjoy the actual game for now, right?
Hi Rui,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we are currently out of stock of this product but are endeavouring to receive more stock as of next week.
I suggest making further enquiries closer to the time for further updates.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Aaron B

The Team at GAME

Oh, God... :lol :lol :lol

panda21

epmode said:
So I wound up loving this game. But I've gotta say that it took a lot for me to buy this shit at full price knowing full well that a few honest-to-god weapons are forever locked away from me because I didn't preorder. It's insane.

This isn't horse armor, it's a goddamned unique weapon in a game ABOUT weapons. It's a vindictive policy and Sega should get hit by a truck because of it.

i wouldnt get too worked up, i pre-ordered and i didnt even put the code in yet because i prefer using the shotgun to most of the fancier weapons. basically the three you start with (heavy, assault and shotgun?) using 5 trillion different weapons isn't the point of the game at all imo

slaughterking said:
Hm, that reminds me that I didn't even get a code despite pre-ordering the game. :I
Online? Or did you get it at GameStop? If it's the latter, just go back with your receipt and they'll give you a code straight away.

epmode

panda21 said:
i wouldnt get too worked up, i pre-ordered and i didnt even put the code in yet because i prefer using the shotgun to most of the fancier weapons. basically the three you start with (heavy, assault and shotgun?) using 5 trillion different weapons isn't the point of the game at all imo
See, I read this and all I can think of is someone trying to convince me that I don't REALLY need a railgun in Quake 3.

CODE PLS <3<3<3

panda21 said:
The pistol>Shotgun

Liberty4all

Banned
Here is our review, I don't think it has aggregated to gamerankings yet.

I haven't played the game myself, but I watched the opening san fran scene on youtube after reading the review.

Is the rest of the game like that? I had nightmares last night.

arrgg damn you Amazon you said October 21 for the delivery date, it's Oct 25 & i still don't have my game. This game is digital crack for adrenaline junkie action game enthusiast like me you hear, I needz this like Isamu needs his sedatives. Make it happen quick !!!!

Animator

Bamelin said:

I haven't played the game myself, but I watched the opening san fran scene on youtube after reading the review.

I cannot disagree more with your longevity assesment.

4 hours -5 tops is just wrong to start with. And the game has tons of replay value built into challenges, and trying to get a better rank\rime in every level. And more importantly because it is incredibly fun and does not get boring on repeat play, in fact it gets better.

Saying this game has no longevity makes me question if you guys actually played the game or just sped through it so you can get your review out there.

mattfabb

Banned
Bamelin said:

This is a terible review. You guys must think this game is Bikini zombie slayer or some weird Japanese shit.

Remember, these score attack games are meant to be replayed for SCORE ATTACK, maybe you guys better stick to fallout from now on.

mattfabb said:
This is a terible review. You guys must think this game is Bikini zombie slayer or some weird Japanese shit.

Remember, these score attack games are meant to be replayed for SCORE ATTACK, maybe you guys better stick to fallout from now on.
Pretty much any review that critiques a games story and is clearly not a game that puts to much weight on story, is a terrible review.

rvy

Banned
B-Genius said:
Like I say, at least you have the actual game for now. Tell them they're shit again next week and see what happens.
I told them they're shit right now, let's see what happens. I'm not used to bitching at retailers, this is a whole new experience. :lol

How come that I'm the one who's supposed to make enquiries regarding the product? GAME is at fault with me, not the other way around. You're the ones who should update me on the situation without me having to get in touch, I shouldn't have to go out of my way to e-mail you in order to get the product that I payed for. I'm sorry.
As far as I know, the steelbooks are being sold in stores. The people who went through the trouble of pre-ordering, however, didn't receive what they payed for, there's no justice in that. Right now, I want to get this situation sorted out. You're telling me that there's no current stock. That's fine, I'll wait as long as you can assure me that I'm going to get the product that I payed for. I also don't have a problem returning the item and paying for the postage for I mistake I didn't make, again, as long as I get what I payed for. Sorry if I seem upset, but I didn't expect this from a retailer with such credentials as GAME.

Best regards,

Now I'm sure I'll never get my steelbook! :lol

Watched some vids of people doing crazy shit in this game and went back to the demo.

I definitely like it a lot more now, but I still don't think it's for me. How varied are the levels is it five or six hours of the same thing, or does it throw you some curveballs?

andymcc

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Watched some vids of people doing crazy shit in this game and went back to the demo.

I definitely like it a lot more now, but I still don't think it's for me. How varied are the levels is it five or six hours of the same thing, or does it throw you some curveballs?

the level design is all very industrial, ultra futuristic and doesn't really stray much from that. but it does do some crazy stuff. (360 degree monorail tunnels, zero gravity portions, giant fucking bosses looming in the distance)

Animator

Thunder Monkey said:

The level you play in the demo is literally the first battle in the game. It amps up the crazy to 11 afterwards. There hasnt been a single second of this game I went "oh I feel like I have done this battle before" thanks to the environment being different in each battle and the tactics you have to use have to change as well.

andymcc said:
the level design is all very industrial, ultra futuristic and doesn't really stray much from that. but it does do some crazy stuff. (360 degree monorail tunnels, zero gravity portions, giant fucking bosses looming in the distance)
Animator said:
The level you play in the demo is literally the first battle in the game. It amps up the crazy to 11 afterwards. There hasnt been a single second of this game I went "oh I feel like I have done this battle before" thanks to the environment being different in each battle and the tactics you have to use have to change as well.
I might need to Gamefly before I buy.

Still I think you guys have sold me on it. First shooter I plan to buy since Sin and Punishment.

jergrah

Just FYI and probably already posted -- but:
PS3 and 360 Version available NEW for $46 on glyde.com
360 version in excellent condition for $38 on glyde.com

360 version for $47.85 on Amazon
PS3 version for $51.60 on Amazon

andymcc said:
it is only zero gravity in name and does nothing different then any other level. It's not like dead space.

i can't believe how incredibly great this game is.
it's literally impossible to pick this or Bayonetta for my GOTY, so platinum games and Hishinki Kamikami gets it.

I'm done with my Hard playthrough. The endboss was a bit of a pushover on Normal, but I was quite annoyed on Hard. Didn't even notice what happened to the ARS suit when I beat him the first time -- it was over too fast. :lol On Hard, though...I don't know. I eventually just spammed rocket missiles and that did it. Couldn't figure out a more graceful way to beat him and I don't think I'm ready to do God Hard just now. I think I'll do the remaining trophies next and then I'll work on my skills by score hunting on Hard.

bubnbob

Banned
I keep getting to Challenge 6-5 and choking... pissing me off. I always do a stupid ass mistake. Last mistake: Hitting MELEE and actually connecting to a Bogey. I dont even know how I hit melee. I just keep freaking out cause ITS THE END

Top Bottom