• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Bros. Season 5 |OT| - Sundays @ 12 on Adult Swim - Come get a rusty venture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reads like they expected the slightly lukewarm reaction to the finale so they went with a cover story. Regardless, I thought this season was great if brief!

Can't wait for that art book; the panel sounded like a good time. I hate that I've never been to one...

Gary was the most disappointing part fo the season for me. I love the character and I was really looking forward to him moving on this season. He kind of just ran in circles and ended up back with the Monarch. Fine I guess, that's where he is the funniest. I really wanted to see him getting the OSI rookie treatment.

Sadsic

Theory:

The house we see The Revenge Society in is The Monarch's Parents old home we saw near the end of the last episode. This is because Dr. Killenger led them to seek out the old Team Venture Boys' Brigade house that both Phantom Limb and Prof. Impossible were in as kids. The Monarch's Parents home is the Boys' Brigade because Jonas Venture is the Monarch's dad.

Just watched it. It felt more like a penultimate episode than the last one. Disappointed at the lack of resolution but it seems like everything is in place for things to go down in a big way next season.

I don't like Gary going back to The Monarch but I'll give them the benefit if the doubt and see where they go with it.

What I appreciate most about this show is how every time there's a finale, you can't help but watch with baited breath wondering if they're going to do something crazy. Season 1 really set that expectation and it speaks volumes that the feeling is still there.

RedBoot

So, I'm probably thinking too hard about this, but:

When Action Man and Hank are burying the Ant-Man guy (the first time), Action Man says he was "the first member of Team Venture to go."

Isn't there a very important member of Team Venture who has been dead since before the series began? Could be very interesting if that was a hint...

Yes, to prevent him from using the Orb. Which turned out to be in vain when that whole thing proved to be a bust. Though I've strongly suspected he was alive as well, and the delicious speculation discussed above only sweetens that. I supposed we'll find out, hopefully before we're all old and gray. Just kidding, Doc and Jackson, take as long as you need. I mean it!

Tamanon

Banned
What if the old Rusty Venture show was solely created to implant the memories back in Rusty's mind after his next clone was called up instead.

I'm sticking with the Rusty is a clone theory dangit!

aett

No, wait, didn't they later show him telling Jonas if he uses the orb, he will have to kill him & thus Jonas put back the orb & everything went on fine?

You're misremembering a scene from season four. That was Lloyd Venture, Rusty's grandfather. Lloyd's bodyguard, Sandow, was ordered to kill him if he ever tried to activate the Orb, but Sandow decided to just break the Orb instead. Lloyd thanked Sandow for sparing him and said that they should never mention what happened.

We actually never saw a flashback or anything showing Jonas with the Orb. The Rusty Venture cartoon, however, was filled with clues and codes that would point to the location of the Orb - including a URL to a mapquest-like site, which is clearly just the writers of VB making fun of stuff like The DaVinci Code, since the Internet did not exist in its modern form (not to mention that a map website wouldn't exist) back when the Rusty Venture cartoon was created.

However, when Brock listened to the recording that Kano kept, and was lead to believe that Sandow had killed Lloyd, he asked Kano if he had killed "the great Jonas Venture" in much the same fashion. Kano looks away and stops talking, which is a pretty clear indicator of guilt, but it's not the same as an actual answer.

I thought it was very much established that Kano killed Jonas.

NO no no no.

Kano would have only done it if Jonas had misused the ORB and he didn't he hid it.
Kano also said his being a mute was a penance for killing a great man and he was already mute during the Jonas days.

aett

NO no no no.

Kano would have only done it if Jonas had misused the ORB and he didn't he hid it.
Kano also said his being a mute was a penance for killing a great man and he was already mute during the Jonas days.

Ah, thank you! I forgot to mention that. I also thought that Kano was talking about Jonas when he said he killed a great man, but when I rewatched the show I noticed how he never spoke in any of the flashbacks. His suspicious look when Brock asked him about Jonas might be due to him knowing that Jonas is still alive.

What other clues are there that point to Jonas being alive? I remember someone asking "How did he die, anyway?" in passing, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

so if Jonas is not dead, then why did Brock tell Rusty he got a phone call that his father was dead when they were in college when they were roommates? who called to say that Jonas was dead?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't know how you guys even try to wrap your head around this show's mythology. I gave up like two seasons ago and am just along for the ride now. It's just too complicated.

wwm0nkey

so if Jonas is not dead, then why did Brock tell Rusty he got a phone call that his father was dead when they were in college when they were roommates? who called to say that Jonas was dead?

Faked his own death and has been hiding out with the Monarch's mother?

Still say Vendata is Monarch's dad too.

Yeah, this season is leading me to believe that
Jonas Venture Sr is the true Sovereign.
I just read this theory minutes ago. It makes waaaay too much sense and my mind is completely blown. It makes Dr. Killinger a major player too and explains his motives for hanging out with Phantom Limb and crew.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm a bit confused, are the Monarch and Rusty childhood friends?

or CRAZY-ASS THEORY:
half-brothers, since they somewhat resemble each other?

Musolf815

WHY DO THEY DO THIS

Sounds like they really wanted a big premiere, and ran out of episodes in their order (10, 2 were taken by the Halloween episode and half of the premiere) to do a big finale. The hour long special inbetween 5 and 6 has been added to 6, so hopefully 6 will be here sooner.

What if
they're just straight-up brothers? Maybe Jonas and the Monarch's mother fooled around, causing the breakdown of her marriage, and Jonas felt bad that he'd ruined his best friend's (the Monarch's "dad") life, causing him to create VenData after the plane crash... who wanted revenge on the Ventures! We still have no clue who Rusty's mom is... if he even has one.

FUN-TIME OFFSEASON SPECULATION! I hope I still remember the show when we get answers!

NEO0MJ

What if
they're just straight-up brothers? Maybe Jonas and the Monarch's mother fooled around, causing the breakdown of her marriage, and Jonas felt bad that he'd ruined his best friend's (the Monarch's "dad") life, causing him to create VenData after the plane crash... who wanted revenge on the Ventures! We still have no clue who Rusty's mom is... if he even has one.

FUN-TIME OFFSEASON SPECULATION! I hope I still remember the show when we get answers!

Yeah, it's pretty strange that we never saw Mrs.Venture, they always try to focus attention on Dean and Hank's mother.

Yeah, it's pretty strange that we never saw Mrs.Venture, they always try to focus attention on Dean and Hank's mother.
Agreed! I'm sure we'll get some revelations eventually...
O.S.I. shirt finally shipped. Took them fucking long enough.
I got that one a few days ago, but my buddy at work still hasn't. It's a little haphazard, but is far better organized than the last Shirt Club (when they were literally handling everything from the Astrobase! I remember Jackson responding to my puny emails!)! Rocking my DESTINY as I type this!

hal9001

Banned
I have only just finished season 1 and I am hooked. I am now desperately trying to marathon the whole seasons just to try and catch up. This show is completely amazing and I am loving every minute.

I have only just finished season 1 and I am hooked. I am now desperately trying to marathon the whole seasons just to try and catch up. This show is completely amazing and I am loving every minute.

Take your time, it's going to be a long wait until next season.

Tizoc

Finally caught up and the remaining eps. were superb.
...BUT I WANT MORE!!!!!!!
Have they said if they're working on more eps. and when they expect to air them?

Dan

Finally caught up and the remaining eps. were superb.
...BUT I WANT MORE!!!!!!!
Have they said if they're working on more eps. and when they expect to air them?

There's another season of 10 half-hours coming. I believe also some kind of 60-90 minute special. We can only guess when any of this will be finished. I'd say end of 2014 at the earliest.

Peff

I believe the special was ultimately shitcanned, but even then they said they were writing Season 6 at Comic-Con, so taking into account the usual production shenanigans I would expect it for 2015, hopefully early-ish.

Savitar

I got to ask since been wondering, what happened with 21. Maybe it's due to the long wait with this season and the previous but Gary had become a badass at one point. This season he's all back to being more or less what he was and no longer in BA shape that could take on Brock. Not beat him maybe but give him a damn good fight if nothing else.

Tizoc

Help me out here when was it revealed that
Dean is an heir to the position of Sovereign?

Pein

Banned
probably my least favorite season of the series so far. I really wanted to see Dean get some action after Trianna but I guess not, or at least some orpheus and the triad.

Neosmith

Neo Member
Hey, everybody, I just got caught up on the season's final episodes.

Gotta say, I'm loving this year creatively, though I am disappointed at the fact that Gary's tenure as a member of SPHINX came to an abrupt end and now he's 'back' with the Monarch. Though, of course, I'm pretty sure he could switch sides again in the opener of next season. (Given the flip-flopping of Colonel Gathers, this wouldn't surprise me at all.)

Anyway, avclub has posted an interview with Hammer and Publick regarding Season 5, where they explain the lack of a proper finale for the season as a consequence of the season premiere getting expanded to two half-hours. There are lots of interesting bits in there, so here's the link:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-creators-of-the-venture-bros-walk-us-through-t,101554/

The A.V. Club: At nine episodes, this season was the shortest the show has done so far. What prompted that?

Jackson Publick: It was shorter by design and as part of our new contract once we decided to do a fifth and sixth season. We actually asked to do only 10 episodes each time, because 13 was kind of killing us, and other shows seem to do them in, like, nine- or 10-episode spurts. So we figured that would be a better way to not get us overwhelmed during the season, and also to try to shorten the space between seasons. But then we ended up airing one of them early, and we ended up combining two of them into an hour-long episode, so it looks like it’s eight. But it’s still 10 half-hours. And it was easier to produce. But we ran out of episodes. We kind of wished we could’ve had 12, honestly. By the time we got to the end, we were like, “Shit, we’ve got a huge thing we want to do that would take two episode slots.”

Hopes for Season 6:
please reveal the Monarch-Rusty connection, start the Revenge Society-OSI-Guild War it's been building to; the Investors should be the real leaders of the Guild

Btw, B.K., good to see you here. I didn't know you were a Venture fan too.

Dan

Anyway, avclub has posted an interview with Hammer and Publick regarding Season 5, where they explain the lack of a proper finale for the season as a consequence of the season premiere getting expanded to two half-hours. There are lots of interesting bits in there, so here's the link:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-creators-of-the-venture-bros-walk-us-through-t,101554/

The whole interview is well worth reading, but here's a bit discussing the actual season 6 production schedule.

AVC: Do you have any idea when the show will be back for season six?
DH: We’re shooting for somewhere in 2015. We don’t want it to go too long. We were trying to get it in the end half of 2014.
JP: We’re trying to get it to mid-fall of 2014. Very early 2015 might be more realistic, but we may end up with something like we did this time, where we release a special, or we release one earlier, and then rest comes on early the next year. We’re starting production next month. I think we get our first takes of episodes back from Korea in June or July of next year, and you’ve got to go through three takes and 10 episodes, and all of post-production. I think we only start turning finished episodes in to the network in September, so that makes it tricky to put on before the end of the year.
DH: We’re trying.
JP: We’ll figure something out. I would say, the smart money is on January/February of 2015, maybe with some surprise earlier than that.
So as expected, fall 2014 is the absolute earliest, maybe just a repeat of last season with a single episode plucked out as a special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom