• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - HBO Comedy - [update: S2 trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just surprised no one, in show, has brought up the idea that everything happening to Principal Brown is a hate crime. House burning, all the graffiti, etc in a southern town?

I'm sure they are saving it for a later episode where one of the two idiots does something racist accidentally, but it would build up better if it was suggested early on.

Also isn't it super weird that kids from another school would refer to the new principal at the rival school by her first name, or even know it? No one in the entire school picked up on how unlikely that is?

SpecX

I did find the scene of Ms. Abott trying to kiss Neal after going down on him hilarious. Him constantly trying to stop her, but she kept trying.

And her "I love you, too..." at the end isn't going to blow up in his face. Not at all.

Yeah this part got me too. I don't see why he isn't attracted to her, she's not bad looking If I was a VP and she was willing like this, I'd be all for it.

Helmholtz

Wasn't sure if I'd like this show, but I marathoned the first four episodes last night and liked it a lot. Can't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all.
It's also cool to see Goggins in a role like this, he has great comedy chops.

Bread

Banned
I can totally see Gamby going to Belinda's side since she is clearly proving that she is the best person for this job, and he will have to try and put out the wild fire that is Russell.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm just surprised no one, in show, has brought up the idea that everything happening to Principal Brown is a hate crime. House burning, all the graffiti, etc in a southern town?

I'm sure they are saving it for a later episode where one of the two idiots does something racist accidentally, but it would build up better if it was suggested early on.

Also isn't it super weird that kids from another school would refer to the new principal at the rival school by her first name, or even know it? No one in the entire school picked up on how unlikely that is?

Probably to keep things light and funny instead of making it yet another commentary on social justice issues. The other 99.999999999% of the world can scratch that itch.

Vyer

I'm glad to see Gregory's response to that. The criticism has always struck me as odd; the idea that the actions of the VPs are in any way supposed to be looked on positively seems pretty antithesis to everything the show has presented.

BeeDog

Awesome episode, Walton Goggins is doing amazing work and the actress playing Brown is great too. Loved her kids, especially when the they bust out laughing at the other principal's destruction and the older kid said "bitch" quietly.

I'm also glad the show doesn't go down the racism route, typical when casting Goggins as a hillbilly, and keeps it somewhat light.

Helmholtz

I'm glad to see Gregory's response to that. The criticism has always struck me as odd; the idea that the actions of the VPs are in any way supposed to be looked on positively seems pretty antithesis to everything the show has presented.
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear early on that the VPs are completely self centered pieces of shit. I can't help but laugh at the absurdity of how they behave around other people.

Allforce

I love how nice the step-dad always is to Gamby but he can't handle it and always wants to come at him like he said the rudest shit ever.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah this part got me too. I don't see why he isn't attracted to her, she's not bad looking If I was a VP and she was willing like this, I'd be all for it.

I'd be all over her. She's a bit crazy, though. Would need some kind of exit plan in place on that one.

Matty77

Just keeps getting better and better. Would love to see Walton work with Danny and Jody more in the future, his chemistry with Danny is amazing, and also allows a little bit of sympathy and depth for a Mcbride character.

ironmang

Great episode and my favorite so far. You can see the difference when all 3 stars are featured in an episode instead of just one like in episode 3.

Fantastic episode this week. I definitely agree that the show shines when all three leads are present throughout the episode (but especially Walton Goggins).

Although, last episode was funny too, and there was a lot of great set-up there.

MjIRaIh.gif

Eyeron

Love this show. As much as I would have liked EB&D part 2, I'm glad that it is doing it's own thing. Still Jody Hill as fuck, right down to the South Carolina setting. I saw that David Gordon Green attended the premiere. Hope he directed an episode or 2. He handles the dark side of this type of material really well.

Hope he directed an episode or 2. He handles the dark side of this type of material really well.
Sounds like he directed some of S2 whereas McBride and Hill did most of S1:
IndieWire interview w/ DGG said:
We cut it up into two seasons; two nine-episode parts where Jody and Danny rotated directing hats on the first season and then Danny and I did the second season. It was just fun to be able to be involved and watch a series evolve and then, you know, take the reigns myself and make some stylistic changes and put my own fingerprint on it and take it in a little different direction; but keep it, you know, honest within the series they established.

JeTmAn81

Watched the pilot. It was alright. McBride and Goggins definitely have chemistry but I'm starting to get diminishing returns with McBride's "I'm a huge dick to everyone" shtick. It's wearing thin after seeing him do it in so many shows and movies.

gdt

Just started watching this but does HBO GO stream the episodes as they air on TV?

Usually within a couple minutes yeah. They can fuck up here and there though.

Last week they didn't get the new Bill Maher episode up till like Saturday afternoon

Last weeks episode has got me rooting for Belinda.

And yeah, this show can be pretty cruel and mean and maybe you're not supposed to like the main characters all that much? To be honest that's what I liked about Eastbound & Down too.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Sleep, motherfucker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom