• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - HBO Comedy - [update: S2 trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Fuckin awesome episode once again. I've definitely dropped cunt, mid-conversation like that and it just being weird lmao

Matty77

So good. As an unabashed Mcbride fan I would love it if just rehashed old ground but I don't feel it is. By taking the center of attention away from Neil it's allowing them to keep Danny's normal Schtick but give it nuance and depth, I actually feel that unlike Kenny, Neil actually has been learning some things and developing beyond a surface.

And Goggins is just off the chains, hard to get a handle on who Lee is or what he is really about and Walton plays it to perfection, knuckles while Jackie was down was over the top in a good way.

Awesome.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So good. As an unabashed Mcbride fan I would love it if just rehashed old ground but I don't feel it is. By taking the center of attention away from Neil it's allowing them to keep Danny's normal Schtick but give it nuance and depth, I actually feel that unlike Kenny, Neil actually has been learning some things and developing beyond a surface.

And Goggins is just off the chains, hard to get a handle on who Lee is or what he is really about and Walton plays it to perfection, knuckles while Jackie was down was over the top in a good way.

Awesome.

"Sleeeep MOTHAFUCKA"

:lol

Lee stole the show this week but Gamby had his best moments yet, too.

His wave to his daughter, breaking the pencil and hitting the drawers was amazing, and all his stuff in the new disciplinary room was career best.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
"Watch This!, Sleep Mothafucka" has got to be the funniest line with that action committed to film I've ever seen

My goodness Lee is everything to me at the moment

Bread

Banned
I don't understand some of the criticism I've seen on the internet about Danny playing the same kind of character as KP. The shot of Neil at the dirt bike track was really telling, he's not an unabashed arrogant prick. He's a guy coming to grips with his weaknesses and learning.

OmegaFax

I clapped at the end. Gamby is a fucking hero.

Edit:

I don't understand some of the criticism I've seen on the internet about Danny playing the same kind of character as KP. The shot of Neil at the dirt bike track was really telling, he's not an unabashed arrogant prick. He's a guy coming to grips with his weaknesses and learning.

Yeah, agreed. This isn't Kenny Powers. Neal Gamby is has a moral compass ... he has a heart but he has an incredibly old school mentality and he's slowly unsticking is head up his ass. He's the straight guy. I could see him as a vice principle at a school, albeit exaggerated but not too far off.

Kenny Powers visited a school several times in Eastbound & Down as a gym teacher and there's a huge contrast in my opinion with the characters in similar settings/situation.

That wave.

Funniest episode of the season. They were both hilarious in here. Loved the talk-circle scenes and Russell watching those korean dramas.

Man that sassy ass step he took onto the neighbors property after being dared was too much lmao.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Yep, Gamby is a much more sympathetic character and certainly more mature than Kenny Powers. Though both have a similar moment to moment attitude of living in their own bubble but Neil is actually capable of much more (and faster) growth whereas Powers was almost a cartoon in that respect.
Throughout large parts of EB&D Powers would only come out on top because his rivals managed to be even bigger dickheads than him whereas Gamby is actually capable of listening to criticism and doesn't take half a season to take it to heart.

"I don't fuck men in the woods!"

"C-word!!"

This show just keeps getting better. Goggins steals the show, but I felt that McBride and Gregory were fantastic in this episode too.

mm04

This show is damn hilarious. I wasn't sure what exactly to expect going in, but I like it a lot. Walton Goggins is ridiculous. That guy can play all sorts of character types.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
"Great job Lee." at the end as Goggins walked off was amazing.

Last two episodes have really redeemed this show. So glad it found its footing.

My favorite two moments from Sunday's episode--

-The overly-long discussion between Goggins and the teacher about muscles
-The "breakthrough" sequence in group therapy that culminated in the kid saying "maybe" and the cuts to everyone nodding looking pleased

Wasn't sure about this show at first but the past few episodes have been fantastic. As mentioned before, I like how they're taking McBride's character and actually having him grow, which is a nice change from Kenny Powers' stubbornness.

Bread

Banned
The guy playing Jackie was absolutely hilarious by the way, haven't seen many mentions of him. The dude nailed that role.

McBride and the other creator have already said the show is going to be exactly 2 seasons long, 18 episodes total. It was originally written as a movie and extended to be a TV show with a beginning, middle, and end.

McBride and the other creator have already said the show is going to be exactly 2 seasons long, 18 episodes total. It was originally written as a movie and extended to be a TV show with a beginning, middle, and end.

Darn. I'm okay with this then. As long as we get more than 1 season

When Lee was watching the neighbor after calling the police was the highlight. Also the freakin haircut!

That fucking song lolol

I like how much attention is being paid to the fact that these two nuts are actually becoming good friends.

I love the dismissal of "I never go into the woods. Everybody knows that about me."

Danny McBride is go goddamned good.

And man, Lee at the end of the episode. I was in stitches.

And no weird Ms Abbot this week. I feel like her and Gamby should have more scenes together. I'm still cracking up at "I love you" out of nowhere. Fucking McBride haahaha

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
vUc0qQi.gif
nv23H2I.gif

Saw this episode last night and had to pause and laugh for 5 minutes straight.

I love that McBride shoots the guy in the head, chest and then crotch.

This show is so damn good. I thought it would be an Eastbound and Down retread (which I would have been fine with) but it's really taken off in a much different way than I would have expected. Can't wait for more.

gatling

Man, I related to the scene where Lee got interrupted during the Korean drama. I was so mad with him. And he had to watch it with his cranky ass MIL too so the mood was already tainted a little before something else interrupted his moment.

Also the therapy scenes conveyed catharsis so well. I exhaled during the male one in particular then hated myself afterwards.

Man, I related to the scene where Lee got interrupted during the Korean drama. I was so mad with him. And he had to watch it with his cranky ass MIL too so the mood was already tainted a little before something else interrupted his moment.

Also the therapy scenes conveyed catharsis so well. I exhaled during the male one in particular then hated myself afterwards.
I found myself nodding with everyone else and then feeling dumb

Meier

Haven't seen this week's episode yet but have absolutely loved the show thus far. I think it's been superior to Eastbound and Down.

Vyer

Having just seen Hateful 8 and then watching this last episode, I think Goggins might be a national treasure.

Who's got the muscles now, dickhead? I do. That's who.
You don't want to tussle with Lee Russell cuz I have the muscle.
Busted! I'm busted by Lee Russell.
I'm busted! Busted by Lee Russell.
Who put the po-po in your ho ho? Lee Russell that's who.
You're busted.
You're busted.
You're busted by Lee Russell and you're busted.
Put that in your fucking boombox and play it.

bill0527

Having just seen Hateful 8 and then watching this last episode, I think Goggins might be a national treasure.

Agreed. Walton fucking Goggins makes this entire show. McBride is gonna McBride, but whoever talked Walton into bringing his talents to this show hit the mega jackpot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom