• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice Principals - Danny McBride & Walton Goggins - HBO Comedy - [update: S2 trailer!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
Agreed. Walton fucking Goggins makes this entire show. McBride is gonna McBride, but whoever talked Walton into bringing his talents to this show hit the mega jackpot.
I'm sure they didn't need to talk him into it much, he looks like he's having a lot of fun in the role.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm sure they didn't need to talk him into it much, he looks like he's having a lot of fun in the role.

7kuRnDn.gif

Agreed. Walton fucking Goggins makes this entire show. McBride is gonna McBride, but whoever talked Walton into bringing his talents to this show hit the mega jackpot.
He actually auditioned for Jason Sudekis' role in Eastbound and Down, so I think he's wanted to be involved with them for quite some time. Part of the reason he didn't get it was because he had braces at the time, which is an amazing visual.

Jocund

Just got finished watching this episode and it was fantastic. Goggins' "Sleep, motherfucker!" slayed me, like holy shit.

Who's got the muscles now, dickhead? I do. That's who.
You don't want to tussle with Lee Russell cuz I have the muscle.
Busted! I'm busted by Lee Russell.
I'm busted! Busted by Lee Russell.
Who put the po-po in your ho ho? Lee Russell that's who.
You're busted.
You're busted.
You're busted by Lee Russell and you're busted.
Put that in your fucking boombox and play it.

I'm so eagerly awaiting the remixes. Its going to be glorious

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Lee's workout clothes, ridiculous.

I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Meier

Having just seen Hateful 8 and then watching this last episode, I think Goggins might be a national treasure.
Bro, if you haven't seen Justified yet.. you're in for a got damn treat. He was amazing in The Shield as well but not nearly as enjoyable..

Vyer

Bro, if you haven't seen Justified yet.. you're in for a got damn treat. He was amazing in The Shield as well but not nearly as enjoyable..

yeah, I'd been needing to watch that but it's definitely moved up the list now.

The hardest part in the Shield is every time you're about to like him a bit, he reminds you that he's racist and corrupt AF.

Justified is great and yes everyone should watch it.

- HitFix video interview: Composer Joseph Stephens talks about finding the signature sound for 'Vice Principals'
Have you been watching Vice Principals on HBO so far?

If not, you’re missing a completely deranged new comedy that is only going to get more deranged as it goes. This should not be a surprise since it’s the brainchild of Rough House Pictures, the partnership between Jody Hill, Danny McBride, and David Gordon Green, and it’s their first HBO show since Eastbound & Down went off the air. While many of the same people are working in all departments on Vice Principals, as it unfolds from week to week, it’s clear that they’re not just rehashing the same sort of thing they’ve already done, and that judging this show from its pilot is impossible, because it’s not the same show even now that it was a month ago.

One of my favorite things about Vice Principals is the score, which takes some pretty big stylistic swings. Joseph Stephens is the show’s composer, and he dropped by the HitFix studios at Woven, where we sat down to talk about how he came up with the show’s signature sound. He also scored Eastbound & Down and Observe and Report for Jody Hill, and I like that none of those projects sound remotely the same. Hill has a great ear for how to use a needle drop, and unlike so many big-budget feature directors, he doesn’t just use the same 20 songs everyone uses. But while he can wield a well-timed pop song like a doctor with a scalpel, Hill relies on Stephens to really give his projects a unique sonic signature.

So often, scores are overlooked or under-appreciated when it comes to comedy, but the score for Vice Principals is a huge part of what works about the show. Considering how dark some of the material is and how far Hill’s willing to go with these characters, the score could totally change the nature of the show. What Stephens does so well is find a way to hang together all the complicated emotional ups and downs of the show, and particularly of Neal Gamby (Danny McBride) and Lee Russell (Walton Goggins). Watch this week’s episode and just listen to the way Stephens charts the evolution for each guy over the course of what happens. This is great work, and Stephens, like the rest of this creative team, was easy to talk to about his process.

kevin1025

Banned
I just watched the first two episodes. My god, I shouldn't have waited this long! Such a fantastic show. I really liked Eastbound and Down (but felt like the first season was the best one), and the feel of this is pretty similar. Walton Goggins is the main draw, he's always great and really shines in this show. The scene in Dr Brown's house was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

And a new episode tomorrow?! I'll be caught up by then, can't wait!

New episode tonight:
The Foundation of Learning

Amanda (Georgia King) makes a deal with Gamby (Danny McBride), while Dr. Brown (Kimberly Hébert Gregory) takes a veteran teacher to task over a shipment of missing books.

Jocund

Just want to say the soundtrack for tonight's episode was especially fantastic. A lot of heavy synthy Perturbator-like tracks.

The pilot for this show was god awful. Thankfully, every episode after has been damn good. McBride still annoys me a bit---especially that field trip episode. I can only suspend my disbelief so much at him not recognizing what an unlikeable asshole he is. The woman he likes flatout calls him out on it, and he is still oblivious. I really hope he gets toned down. Just a little.

Vyer

"I bet you were every bit as attractive at 13 as you are now."

Every Gamby-Snodgrass interaction introduces a new level of cringe and it's great

hokahey

The pilot for this show was god awful. Thankfully, every episode after has been damn good. McBride still annoys me a bit---especially that field trip episode. I can only suspend my disbelief so much at him not recognizing what an unlikeable asshole he is. The woman he likes flatout calls him out on it, and he is still oblivious. I really hope he gets toned down. Just a little.

I know people this oblivious, so it makes it even funnier to me.

Another stellar episode. This is easily on par with Eastbound.

Grinchy

Banned
Loved the episode, as usual. I can't get enough of "bad guy Ray" being nothing but nice and supportive toward Gamby.

And oh my, Georgia King, please wear leggings every episode. God, she just does it for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holy shit @ the scene where Lee gets busted for spitting in Belinda's coffee. He is so fucked.

Just want to say the soundtrack for tonight's episode was especially fantastic. A lot of heavy synthy Perturbator-like tracks.

Yeah, it was really good.

RaidenZR

Have you noticed who's running for President of the United States?

The music this episode was insanely on point, wow.

And that final scene... it's the beginning of he end for Lee.

Loved the episode, as usual. I can't get enough of "bad guy Ray" being nothing but nice and supportive toward Gamby.

That guy's performance is so good, there's just a *hint* of condescension in everything his says but he's still unfailingly nice. Such a good foil to Gamby.

barik

Best episode yet, that was amazing. Also sets up a nice change in the dynamic, Lee's downfall + Neil's victory are 100% going to fuck up everything in the long term.

Goggins has this amazing ability in all his roles to be that character I want to see get busted, but I still want to see him turn out alright. Like I really hope he gets what's coming to him, but he's such a good character...hahaha man!

What a great ending.

Sanjuro

Put in another vote for Ray. Such an amazingly understated character.

He has all those annoying white trash boyfriend qualities visually, but none in his tone or personality. Even during the school rivalry he came across as a friendly neighbor would.

He has all those annoying white trash boyfriend qualities visually, but none in his tone or personality. Even during the school rivalry he came across as a friendly neighbor would.

Shea Whigham, is slowly becoming one of my favorite supporting actors. Especially since he's just kind of holding it down in some of my favorite shows.

Shea Whigham, is slowly becoming one of my favorite supporting actors. Especially since he's just kind of holding it down in some of my favorite shows.

his eli thompson in boardwalk was so good. it's ridiculous how stacked the acting talent was on that show. michael shannon alone is one of the greatest actors we have.

this dude is hella likable in Vice Principals btw, lol he's just trying to keep a friendly relationship with his stepdaughters father.

- NY Mag review
- Vox: Vice Principals' Georgia King on what the HBO comedy taught her about America
Todd VanDerWerff: Six is also the first real glimpse we get of her personal life. I like the way Vice Principals lets you think you know a character, then pulls back and reveals they have this whole other life outside of school. What did you find most surprising about Snodgrass’s life?

Georgia King: It was so cool when I read that episode, because I was, like, "Oh my goodness, okay, this woman does not have her shit together. She does not have her life the way that she wants it." It was a huge revelation for me.

I remember reading that cold open with her being so crudely dumped, and that rejection hurts her in a way that comes out of nowhere. She tries to do what I think a lot of women feel we need to do, which is to try to come across as being cool and in control, and really she's not. It's a very painful breakup.

I love seeing that in a character, where they try to present one thing, when really something else is going on, and you have that great pull and tug between reality and hopes of putting something else out into the world, an image of who you are. We all want to show the world this side of us, but actually we have these very terrified sad times.
- YahooTV: 'Vice Principals' Postmortem: Georgia King on the Real Amanda Snodgrass
We’ve all been waiting to learn a little bit more about who Amanda is, and this episode gives us a lot of new information.
It certainly does! What I love about how Danny and Jody have put together this story is the fact that they reveal different things at different times, so it always keeps an audience on their toes. Even for me reading the scripts, it was a huge revelation for me to see all these layers of her. This is a person who you think has her life in quite good order, but it turns out that maybe she doesn’t.

For so much of the season, we’ve only observed Amanda through Neal’s idealized gaze. Here, we get to see her on her own terms.
Exactly. It’s smart to set up an idea of somebody and then see the actual reality of that character. Amanda has a lot of issues, and might actually have a lot in common with him. It’s really cool to see the parallels between the characters and what brings them together. It’s so human; everyone has flaws and anxieties, and I’m thrilled the full spectrum of her personality is brought forward in this episode.

"I'm sorry you made me yell at you today"

I wonder if we'll get a Ray-focused episode at some point.

Matty77

Great episode, just keeps getting better. And Ray is secretly the best character. That scene at the track the look on his face he wants Neil to succeed as much as his daughter and Mrs. Snodgrass, and looked the most dissapointed with the results.

Masterclass show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom