• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

I will be halfway decent in this game one day and with Wolf. I dont care how incompatible he is to me.

GGs to all

You're a braver soul than I. I tried maining Wolf day one, but I just couldn't cut it.

GGs to everyone. There were some really close matches, and I feel like I learned a lot about some characters that I don't see that often.

I will be halfway decent in this game one day and with Wolf. I dont care how incompatible he is to me.

GGs to all

I would recommend watching some match videos to learn how to do wolf combos. Until you can scare them to guard you won't throw them for biggg damage.

Edgeward

I know how to do them, just something about online that keeps messing them up for me. Can't even get 46 attacks to come out online. All those long distance mid punch whiffs were me frustrated and trying to do tackle. And sometimes in the heat of the moment I just forget how to do them especially after 9 PK. I forget to do 46PK, and doesn't help my poor execution.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
ooooh i saw this message afterward... WE NEED TO RUN A ROOM AGAIN TONIGHT!!!
Yesterday i was in a trolling mode - but TODAY you will see a drunken fat guy :D

at least i hope...

and GGs to all, sry if i annoyed you :D

alstein

Some guy on the mic won't shut up about down punch being a desperation move. "Down punch is for pussies" he says. Nevermind that it's Jeff's fastest normal.

Played him again, he's like "you're just proving my point!" What point?! It's 0-3 for you buddy.

EDIT - and back to Defender in like 5 matches.

Jeff has to use that move more than anyone else does.

Could someone teach me the magical art of throw breaking please? Thanks. :)

Hooray at finally beating players 4 or 5 ranks above me, though. Need to play this more.

Edgeward

To break throw you need to press p+g and depending on the move also Forward or Back. There is also neutral.

For example, Wolf's Burning Hammer is 360 motion that ends in forward. So to break it you need to press forward plus p+g. Whatever the last direction of an opponent's throw is, that is also what you need to press.

When guarding you can press g then hold P as well to guard and be ready for a throw break. You will need to hold in the direction in throw you would be expect as you can't waggle the stick and hope to cover it all.

Some moves also can't be teched like Wolf's Shining Wizard and some El Blaze stuff too., you would just have to duck those.

Had my brother take a quick read through it and here is a summary

It talks about the history of the original psone and how it was meant to be a CD add on to the super famicon. After that deal fell through, Sony was considering going out of gaming altogether and didn't know how to approach 3D gaming. Then Virtua Fighter, the first 3D fighter, gave them the inspiration they needed to make their games.

I guess it also helps to say that the opening line of the article translates to

""Virtua Fighter" was what saved the First Generation Playstation?"

So that is some nice trivia.

akuma001

i can win with 1p, throw, and hotdog if i have a couple drinks in me.

but if i play against shun, all that goes out the window.

just the way the cookie crumbles.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Akuma can you do me a favor if it's not too much trouble?

Can you please bump this thread and give us the heads up whenever there's a VF tourney streaming live from Japan? I'm loving this tourney to bits, but God only knows how many of them I've missed already :(

Edgeward

Man, seeing the arcade version on the stream makes me miss all the neat little features the console version had to cut out. Especially things like the pre-fight intros and unlocking items.

akuma001

Akuma can you do me a favor if it's not too much trouble?

Can you please bump this thread and give us the heads up whenever there's a VF tourney streaming live from Japan? I'm loving this tourney to bits, but God only knows how many of them I've missed already :(

if i'm around, sure i will post.

i think the best thing to do though is follow @vftv_live, @vf_relationship, and @vf_official on twitter since they tweet whenever something is going on.

also here is the schedule for the vf-r season http://www.beat-tribe.jp/images/calendar.jpg

nothing until next month as far as big tournies go.

but if you missed any tournies, many links to previously recorded streams can be found here http://virtuafighter.com/threads/virtua-fighter-relationship-2011-2012-season.15440/

Ninjimbo

I think I'm doomed to forever live in the limbo of the Destroyer rank. For me to go up from here, I have to beat some serious people. The work is daunting.

AAK

Anybody want to play? PSN.

Got a room open.... nobody online :(

EDIT: So a good Akira player comes online, he beats me twice, I beat him the next match 3 straight. He leaves the room. All alone again :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
if i'm around, sure i will post.

i think the best thing to do though is follow @vftv_live, @vf_relationship, and @vf_official on twitter since they tweet whenever something is going on.

also here is the schedule for the vf-r season http://www.beat-tribe.jp/images/calendar.jpg

nothing until next month as far as big tournies go.

but if you missed any tournies, many links to previously recorded streams can be found here http://virtuafighter.com/threads/virtua-fighter-relationship-2011-2012-season.15440/

You are the man! Thank you very much!

isamu

herro!!!!!!! anyone up for training? i got an hour to kill

Good luck finding anyone. Game has become a fucking ghost town online. Tried several times at all different times of the day and couldn't find ONE room to get in.

First Daytona USA, now this. What is it about Sega's arcade games and low online participation? This is just beyond sad :(

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Good luck finding anyone. Game has become a fucking ghost town online. Tried several times at all different times of the day and couldn't find ONE room to get in.

First Daytona USA, now this. What is it about Sega's arcade games and low online participation? This is just beyond sad :(

in this case 2 things happened:
1. the game expired on PSN plus - everyone that had the game on that front is gone now.
2. Tekken and Persona came out - all the people who were riding the new fighter train left once P4u dropped and everyone that needed that 3d fix til tekken came out left too.

That happens man :/

What is it about Sega's arcade games and low online participation? This is just beyond sad :(
SEGA would do much better if they:
-Toned down on that patented SEGA "charm"
cheesiness
-Put effort into story and additional modes because the bulk of fighting game players (many of whom eventually become legit players) really care about that stuff.
-Did a full court press on marketing.
-Most importantly, made a port on a well supported system that was true to the arcade version while also not being horribly outdated in comparison to other console fighters and against it's own arcade versions.

Just releasing an amazing fighting game isn't enough to pull in the kind of numbers you need to have a large community long-term.

alstein

Also about 95% of the players just stick to ranked. I play to play, so I go where people are.

Usually warrior-class and above opponents aren't spammers.

If you guys see me online, feel free to ask for player matches- I'm much happier playing this than I am TTT2.

Shouta

I played MasaRED offline twice yesterday in the tournament but get just eating stuff from his Shun Di. The lows are so good on that old man that it's hard playing at close range to get throws I wanted. Kept forgetting to punish his ducks too. >=(

alstein

I played MasaRED offline twice yesterday in the tournament but get just eating stuff from his Shun Di. The lows are so good on that old man that it's hard playing at close range to get throws I wanted. Kept forgetting to punish his ducks too. >=(

You have any low crushing moves? Maybe use that 8P+K more? Also I suspect Blaze has a move to punish Shun if you get distance and he starts to drink , Kinda like Jeff running P+K.

(rocket discharge dropkick or splash perhaps?)

Shouta

Yeah, Blaze has 8P+K as a crush move but didn't use it as much as I should have and I had a bad controller. I used 9P+K K to punish stuff down outside my range, assuming they're not ducking. It leads to pretty big damage actually.

I haven't played that much recently though so beating the Lion player we have was amazing as is.

Top Bottom