• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks guys!! Now I've got about 10 bucks left. Probably getting a PSOne title and some Mini, then should be busy for a while. Already love this thing.

Alundra! (if you like Zelda games)
Wild Arms! (if you like classic RPGs and want a western setting)
The FF of your preference! (if you like classic RPGs and want a FF setting)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
can i recommend you dont buy surge or aqua kitty

Your comments against Surge are stuuuuuuuuuuuupid. Seriously, I wrote up why I think Totos arguments against Surge are invalid, but no one replies to them.

Its not a perfect game, but it doesnt need to be at that price. And the mechanics that ARE there, are pretty spot on. A fully fledged version of Surge would be pretty much one of the best DD only games on Vita.

*insert Toto and Heckmanimation complaints*

62ANt.jpg

No fucking waaaay. If more people would listen to you, the vast majority of people would have missed out on Surge, which they actually liked! Because the game actually has a lot of depth once you try to break some highscores. You wont actually see that if you just play it for 30 minutes though since it wont give you any incentive to actually play the game how its meant to be played. Trying to figure out the most optimal way to clear a level can be VERY tricky and to decide the best course of action for maximizing the point count has a lot of depth, especially if you need to consider the different blocks the game throws at you.

But as I said, this is not evident if you just consider it a 2 minute time waster since you just dabble along without putting any thought into what makes this game actually fun and deep.

But I agree that the pacing is a bit weird, that you can play it for 30 minutes without breaking a sweat and that it can result in a VERY long game run. They really need to focus and compress the game experience so some users dont need to dabble around for so long and show off the depth earlier. More game modes would also do wonders.

Munin

Alundra! (if you like Zelda games)
Wild Arms! (if you like classic RPGs and want a western setting)
The FF of your preference! (if you like classic RPGs and want a FF setting)

Already played all those a decade ago! I do want to catch up on FFIX sometime though. So the discount is tempting. But ehh, I don't wanna divide my attentions between Trails and another big RPG for now.

Anyone has a recommendation for a fun Mini? It's so weird to see all these titles I know from my iPhone and think that I could actually play them with decent controls now.

Toma

Already played all those a decade ago! I do want to catch up on FFIX sometime though. So the discount is tempting. But ehh, I don't wanna divide my attentions between Trails and another big RPG for now.

Anyone has a recommendation for a fun Mini? It's so weird to see all these titles I know from my iPhone and think that I could actually play them with decent controls now.

Surge (see thread impressions in the linked OT). PSMobile games have the advantage of being full resolution and Surge is really a great little game.

Dont listen to Toto and Heckmanimation. Its a fun puzzle game.

TitS is an SRPG, though, right? I've been looking for a traditional battle style RPG. Been playing FFIX, but I want something different, ya know? Any recommendations?

Quoting so it doesn't get lost on the previous page. Any recommendations? PSP game preferable, since I've done the FF's and Wild Arms

Munin

Surge (see thread impressions in the linked OT). PSMobile games have the advantage of being full resolution and Surge is really a great little game.

Dont listen to Toto and Heckmanimation. Its a fun puzzle game.

Huh, when I search for that in the store I get "4 matches", but 0 results.

Toma

Quoting so it doesn't get lost on the previous page. Any recommendations?

TitS is a traditional RPG. If you want to go PS1, you could check out Wild Arms or the FF's too.

Toma

You need to go to the PSmobile tab in the PSN store. And I dont think you can search the PSmobile tab yet... which is annoying. If you cant find it, I'll help you find it in a few minutes.

Shai-Tan

Banned

there's a separate tab at the top in the store for PSM games

edit: Surge didn't hook me in the 30 minutes I played it but other people seem to like it. Aqua Kitty is pretty fun though imo. All the PSM games are pretty simple - you can guess if you'll like them or not from looking at 30 seconds of youtube footage

It has grid based combat but that doesn't make it an SRPG. It's a JRPG.

I dunno... what's your criteria for SRPG?
It doesn't seem like it has jobs, based on the Wiki article about it, but it does have grid based movement during combat... seems like it's at least part SRPG.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Your comments against Surge are stuuuuuuuuuuuupid. Seriously, I wrote up why I think Totos arguments against Surge are invalid, but no one replies to them.

Its not a perfect game, but it doesnt need to be at that price. And the mechanics that ARE there, are pretty spot on. A fully fledged version of Surge would be pretty much one of the best DD only games on Vita.

No fucking waaaay. If more people would listen to you, the vast majority of people would have missed out on Surge, which they actually liked! Because the game actually has a lot of depth once you try to break some highscores. You wont actually see that if you just play it for 30 minutes though since it wont give you any incentive to actually play the game how its meant to be played. Trying to figure out the most optimal way to clear a level can be VERY tricky and to decide the best course of action for maximizing the point count has a lot of depth, especially if you need to consider the different blocks the game throws at you.

But as I said, this is not evident if you just consider it a 2 minute time waster since you just dabble along without putting any thought into what makes this game actually fun and deep.

But I agree that the pacing is a bit weird, that you can play it for 30 minutes without breaking a sweat and that it can result in a VERY long game run. They really need to focus and compress the game experience so some users dont need to dabble around for so long and show off the depth earlier. More game modes would also do wonders.

heeeyyyy - didnt i see your name in the top 10 high scores on there ( or was it another gaffer)? if it was you... OF COURSE you're going to praise it.

ehhhhhh its a fun, unique puzzle game. really loved the mechanics. it was original! i just didn't see much more depth than that.... i did spend time trying to beat some scores... it just didnt captivate me enough.. if i had a bigger card i would keep it probably, but with 5$ the person could get something else, that is better. maybe i'm in a minority here.. but so be it. just my opinion... not a ton of people aside from you and carl raving here.

i mean really Yahoo! Towers has way more depth than that....

Toma

So battles are pretty fast? And are they random? Hows the leveling up / equipment system? TELL ME MORE!

Its not the fastest game in the world. Its actually rather slow when it comes to story development and progression. If you want quick RPG fixes, TitS is a bit hard to recommend. Its a VERY long RPG though, so its still worth dipping into if you want a big world. The fights arent random, but you have monsters on the overworld. The levelling up works as you expect from RPG's plus a gem system that adjusts which spells you can use, making world exploration rather rewarding since a new gem can mean a variety of new possibilities for your team setup.

Toma

heeeyyyy - didnt i see your name in the top 10 high scores on there ( or was it another gaffer)? if it was you... OF COURSE you're going to praise it.

ehhhhhh its a fun, unique puzzle game. really loved the mechanics. i just didn't see much more depth than that.... i did spend time trying to beat some scores... it just didnt captivate me enough.. if i had a bigger card i would keep it probably, but with 5$ the person could get something else, that is better. maybe i'm in a minority here.. but so be it. just my opinion... not a ton of people aside from you and carl raving here.

i mean really Yahoo! Towers has way more depth than that....

;)

But thats the thing, it actually has a surprising amount of depth if you try to break highscores, since every level is basically its own puzzle where you need to try maximizing the amount of points you can get from it. (although it took me 3-4 hours to get how the game was meant to be played) And I am fairly well known on GAF for raving about games, usually about good ones. And Surge IS good, it definitely has problems though. I can see how people say " its a fun, unique puzzle game. really loved the mechanics. i did spend time trying to beat some scores... it just didnt captivate me enough..". Thats fine of course. But its in no way a bad game.

The thing is, I actually agree with you on the "captivating" issue. It definitely fails getting people hooked right from the start, plus a few other issues. But if they work on that + new modes for a full release, this game could be really, really good.

As it stands, its a very fun puzzle game with satisfying mechanics that fails a bit on the diverse content side, hurting its reception.

Munin

Sorry random other question but how does Sony check for the PS+ subscription when playing the free games anyway? Do you need to be connected to the internet every time you start them up? Or is it a periodic check, every month or whatever?

Toma

Sorry random other question but how does Sony check for the PS+ subscription when playing the free games anyway? Do you need to be connected to the internet every time you start them up? Or is it a periodic check, every month or whatever?

The game have an internal expiration timer which expires with the date it updated when you downloaded the game.

AwRy108

I dunno... what's your criteria for SRPG?
It doesn't seem like it has jobs, based on the Wiki article about it, but it does have grid based movement during combat... seems like it's at least part SRPG.

It's not, trust me. The grid movement does add a bit of placement strategy to the size of attacks, knock-back, proximity to other characters/NPC's; but that's about the depth of it. The game is a JRPG through-and-through, and it's one of the best portable ones EVER.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
;)

But thats the thing, it actually has a surprising amount of depth if you try to break highscores, since every level is basically its own puzzle where you need to try maximizing the amount of points you can get from it. (although it took me 3-4 hours to get how the game was meant to be played) And I am fairly well known on GAF for raving about games, usually about good ones. And Surge IS good, it definitely has problems though. I can see how people say " its a fun, unique puzzle game. really loved the mechanics. i did spend time trying to beat some scores... it just didnt captivate me enough..". Thats fine of course. But its in no way a bad game.

The thing is, I actually agree with you on the "captivating" issue. It definitely fails getting people hooked right from the start, plus a few other issues. But if they work on that + new modes for a full release, this game could be really, really good.

As it stands, its a very fun puzzle game with satisfying mechanics that fails a bit on the diverse content side, hurting its reception.

i would definitely be interested in a more expanded game no doubt...100% NOT a bad game...i just wouldnt recommend it...like i said spend the 5 bucks elsewhere...wait for Surge: Ultra!

Toma

It's not, trust me. The grid movement does add a bit of placement strategy to the size of attacks, knock-back, proximity to other characters/NPC's; but that's about the depth of it. The game is a JRPG through-and-through, and it's one of the best portable ones EVER.

Yeah, I wouldnt have even considered calling it an SRPG.

Toma

Some of the best TitS money can buy!!
Awesome Rpg!!

I liked it as well, but it sure is suuuuuuuper slow story/game progression wise.

i would definitely be interested in a more expanded game no doubt...100% NOT a bad game...i just wouldnt recommend it...like i said spend the 5 bucks elsewhere...wait for Surge: Ultra!

Its just a bit annoying if all games are either good or BAD BAD BAD. There is a difference between Chronovault "bad" and Surge "decent, but I prefer other stuff". People usually try to avoid games if everyone screams "SHIT", which is a pity since I am sure many games get overlooked just because people dont feel the need to properly address their opinion, since some reasons for why someone doesnt like a game might not be all that important to someone else.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
*looks at my game collection*
I obviously must not be a person :p

haha! would LOVE to see your library....

edit: and solstice

Its just a bit annoying if all games are either good or BAD BAD BAD. There is a difference between Chronovault "bad" and Surge "decent, but I prefer other stuff". People usually try to avoid games if everyone screams "SHIT", which is a pity since I am sure many games get overlooked just because people dont feel the need to properly address their opinion, since some reasons for why someone doesnt like a game might not be all that important to someone else.

hey atleast i'm not Toto'ing, i.e. saying ridiculous statements for little to no rhyme or reason other than a burning desire to express my hate-pinion. ;-p (sorry toto)

Toma

Toma

Get ready for a painfully slow start. I know everyone on GAF seems to love the game, but i was never able to get more than 2 hours in before giving up three different times. It's just soooooo damn dull.

Yeah, the game is WAY too slow progression wise. You need to play it in a zen-like state, lol. But the game definitely has engaging mechanics and enough quest content and hidden stuff to keep a player busy.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Get ready for a painfully slow start. I know everyone on GAF seems to love the game, but i was never able to get more than 2 hours in before giving up three different times. It's just soooooo damn dull.
Well, we're all in love with Persona 4, so we can handle a slow start.

Yeah, the game is WAY too slow progression wise. You need to play it in a zen-like state, lol.

I'm the proverbial Maytag man at work, in which I do about 10 minutes of actual work a day. This gives me TONS of time on my Vita/3DS. So this will be perfect for me.

zulux21

You and me both. We can be un-people together.

haha! would LOVE to see your library....

My vita library is still pretty clean though I will add RO to it at some point.
my 3ds library is rocking steel diver, and Doctor Lautrec
my ps3 library is rocking mugen souls and last rebellion
my 360 library is rocking zoids assault and bullet witch
my Wii library is rocking Tenchu and samurai warriors Katana
my PC library is rocking so many crappy indie games that i won't bother picking 2 lol

you know just for small example (each of my console game libraries are over 40 games... I think the ps3 one is close to 100 now... just counting physical disks.. way higher with digital games as well)

Toma

My vita library is still pretty clean though I will add RO to it at some point.
my 3ds library is rocking steel diver, and Doctor Lautrec
my ps3 library is rocking mugen souls and last rebellion
my 360 library is rocking zoids assault and bullet witch
my Wii library is rocking Tenchu and samurai warriors Katana
my PC library is rocking so many crappy indie games that i won't bother picking 2 lol

you know just for small example (each of my console game libraries are over 40 games... I think the ps3 one is close to 100 now... just counting physical disks.. way higher with digital games as well)

I only collected PS2 I guess. Stopped with PS3, despite actually planning to do so. I could get some PS2 games for dirt cheap (Dark Cloud and first Shadow Hearts for 10€ anyone?) in my local shops. Took a bit too long for PS3 games to get cheaper, so I never actually bothered to start a collection.

Toma

Why? We will never see the sequels. It's the reason I refuse to get it. Why invest in a game when I'll never know how the saga ends.

There is a very good chance the sequels get released on PC at least. And even not considering the sequels, TitS is still a long game one can enjoy.

zulux21

Well, we're all in love with Persona 4, so we can handle a slow start.

what persona 4 has a slow start... why I never

Story: You may ask, how exactly is the story gameplay? Well in general it’s not, it’s not like the main story has deep branching paths that will require multiple playthroughs to see, though some well timed saving later in the game is likely going to be needed as I have heard the game has multiple endings. My inclusion of the story as a gameplay mechanic is because of how time consuming it is. Now you likely are thinking, this is a JRPG of course the story takes a lot of time, and while that is true there are very few JRPG out there that for the first two hours have you sit there and pretty much do nothing but follow the story

quote from my unpublished persona 4 review I am still polishing :p

I only collected PS2 I guess. Stopped with PS3, despite actually planning to do so. I could get some PS2 games for dirt cheap (Dark Cloud and first Shadow Hearts for 10€ anyone?) in my local shops. Took a bit too long for PS3 games to get cheaper, so I never actually bothered to start a collection.

last I checked I had 87 ps2 JRPGs that I hadn't played in my collection... After my wife got a decent paying job in 2009 we went through and got pretty much every english published JRPG for the ps2... I am missing a couple really obscure ones or really expensive ones but I have most of them.

Top Bottom