• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
That is everything that is wrong with Vita's marketing in one single 1:36 video. Well done, Sony. Well done.

Edit: for the new page (for GAF Silver users at least): buy Urban Trial Freestyle next week!
if it's good, that is. Fingers crossed.

Also, shoot me a PM if you want to be in the Vita referral program and win $20. :)

What's wrong with it? It is just a bunch of video clips of some of the more popular games on the Vita. If anything, there should be more of these kinds of stuff.

Robertto

Neo Member
That is everything that is wrong with Vita's marketing in one single 1:36 video. Well done, Sony. Well done.

Edit: for the new page (for GAF Silver users at least): buy Urban Trial Freestyle next week!
if it's good, that is. Fingers crossed.

Also, shoot me a PM if you want to be in the Vita referral program and win $20. :)

the actors laughing playing vita is goofy, but its actually a good ad, it focusses on the games, its very clear and easy to understand.

i think the perfect example of their shitty ads is Cod vita, where everyone was jumping around on the rooftop, people actually thought they were advertising an AR game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Spyhunter is $19.99 at Amazon.

is it really that hard to market a dedicated gaming handheld nowdays? why all the ads sound like it's for an android tablet?

I think they should maybe emphasise the fact it has twin sticks more than touch screen IMHO.

problem is, if they went with the sticks they'll have to show Resistance and COD, both bad games and will make their device look even worse.

Massa

What's wrong with it? It is just a bunch of video clips of some of the more popular games on the Vita. If anything, there should be more of these kinds of stuff.

What's wrong is that they use gimmicks nobody cares about to promote games. Assassin's Creed... you can touch the screen? No, you're bad-ass Aveline killing dudes in the American Revolution. That's what's interesting about that game. Have you ever read anyone say "LBP Vita is so cool, you can touch and tilt"? No, what's cool about that game is the creativity and ingenuity and charm. And so on...

Yeah, they should focus on the Vita's dual sticks and games (that ad did feature gameplay, at least) rather than its touchscreen or tilt controls because if casuals see that they'll just think 'oh, so it's like an iPad' and just forget about it.

anddo0

Bolded

Skip Sly, Sonic racing and HSG for sure.

Don't listen to this man.

He's right about Sly. The only reason I'm playing the game right now, is because I bought the PS3 version for my nephew. The game has way too many gimmicks (gyro controls :/ ), too much of Sly's lame friends.. Bentley is okay, but I want to ram my head into the wall every time they force Murray on me.. The setup for each era is pretty much the same, just different settings. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't buy it (for myself) at full price.

Sonic and HSG are great handheld games. Very much worth it.

Redhood

Hey Vitagaf!
Just wanted to say I am enjoying my time with FF7 on the vita. The graphics are terrible but the story and battles are fun! Only gripe is I don't know when I am walking into a random battle. Now the question is should I also buy FFIX?? I like that the characters actually look real! Are the enemies shown on the map [thus can be avoided] or they are random like FF7?

zulux21

Hey Vitagaf!
Just wanted to say I am enjoying my time with FF7 on the vita. The graphics are terrible but the story and battles are fun! Only gripe is I don't know when I am walking into a random battle. Now the question is should I also buy FFIX?? I like that the characters actually look real! Are the enemies shown on the map [thus can be avoided] or they are random like FF7?

i believe the first time you don't have random encounters in an main series FF game is ff12 (as ff11 isn't a main series ff game it's a misnamed mmo that should have just been called Final Fantasy Online :/)

If you are enjoying seven there is a good chance you will like nine, though nine has a lot more of a fantasy story but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. There are also a number of mechanical differences, but it's been to long for me to go into detail for them. In general my views are worst case you would be disappointed and out $5 (as I think it's still on sale)

zulux21

This has probably been asked a lot but is it possible to play Kingdom Hearts BBS on Vita? IIRC it wasn't on psn.

It is indeed asked a lot but I am afraid the answer is that there isn't a legitimate way to play it on the vita at this time as BBS was never released for the PSN.

We're still waiting on Crisis Core... I highly doubt we'll see KH: BBS anytime soon.

ideally when square releases kingdom hearts 2.5 collection we will get a vita option for it and it will include both KH2 and BBS playable on the vita.
of course that requires sony to do something to trigger sales of the vita in japan so square would bother.... so yeah....

brentech

Yea. That commercial makes me sad. Basically hate touch controls of any sort, especially rear.
At least they didn't highlight the 'hold your vita up to a bright light" gimmick. Fuck I hate that.

anddo0

So what cool psp games are not on psn!
Crisis Core, KH BBS and FF type Zero (has not been localised but I believe its on JP psn!)

Anything else?

Too many:

Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Call of Duty: Roads to Victory
Coded Arms: Contagion
Exit
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Infected
Lumines
Lumines II
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Outrun
PoPoLoCrois
Shadow of Destiny
Star Ocean: First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Takao

Banned
Not in North America.

CoD PSP is available, if you buy a retail version of CoD BLOPs Declassified in North America, lol.

Famassu

Both are kinda bad games, so I'm not sure what's there to be :( about... At least you people have the superior games with the likes of Xenogears, Threads of Fate, Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana & such. That's a true :( maybe even a :'(

I hate it that MonkeyPaw has been pretty much the only publisher to really embrace "importing" digital PS1 classics for the European audience. SQUARE ENIX WHERE ARE MY PS1 CLASSICS?!?!?!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Now I'm curious. How did that happen?

just shitty service,according to their customer service it was a mistake in the NY office(where they collect our packages) they promised me that they'll get it back from their office in India but..there was nothing.

I use MyUS now to buy stuff from the USA(better,faster,more expensive but they don't lose my stuff).

Famassu

Might as well ask here as well. Is WRC3 on Vita worth a shit? It seems to be somewhat cheap @ Zavvi and I could do with a portable rally game. I don't really care how realistic it is (if it's realistic, good, if it's arcade-y, good, if it's somewhere in between, good), just if it's any fun (handling isn't horrible, has a decent SP mode(s), is technically competent (smooth framerate, doesn't look like a PS1 game & such, resolution is a non-issue))

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Does anyone try to scroll on their touch devices like they do on vita by holding the screen to scroll faster? Man ithings Really need to adapt that feAture...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Might as well ask here as well. Is WRC3 on Vita worth a shit? It seems to be somewhat cheap @ Zavvi and I could do with a portable rally game. I don't really care how realistic it is (if it's realistic, good, if it's arcade-y, good, if it's somewhere in between, good), just if it's any fun (handling isn't horrible, has a decent SP mode(s), is technically competent (smooth framerate, doesn't look like a PS1 game & such, resolution is a non-issue))

I dunno,don't have it..but from what people are saying about it

6 rallies (13 on consoles)
11 cars (37 on consoles)
(more rallies and few other cars are available as free DLC)
way shorter tracks than the console version.
No career mode like in the consoles.
No customizable controls.

so I think it's like RR Vita, got decent driving play(according to people) but seriously lacking content and options.

Genki

I hate it that MonkeyPaw has been pretty much the only publisher to really embrace "importing" digital PS1 classics for the European audience. SQUARE ENIX WHERE ARE MY PS1 CLASSICS?!?!?!

I also want NTSC versions of the ones that are being sold. Not playing gimped versions anymore, it's ludicrous frankly... In the case of Square Enix's already available FFs, you end up wasting like 10 hours per game due to the games running slowly. I guess there weren't many complaints earlier because you could easily have access to US PSN games on the PS3, but on the Vita it's a huge issue. Luckily a few of the PS1 games I wanted are sold as imports, like Klonoa and Tomba 1\2.

Gurumin isn't on EU PSN either, and looking up the publisher I doubt it ever will be :/.

Famassu

I dunno,don't have it..but from what people are saying about it

6 rallies (13 on consoles)
11 cars (37 on consoles)
(more rallies and few other cars are available as free DLC)
way shorter tracks than the console version.
No career mode like in the consoles.
No customizable controls.

so I think it's like RR Vita, got decent driving play(according to people) but seriously lacking contents and options.
Weird. it seems Zavvi lists the console features in their WRC 3 Vita product page... >_> I knew the description sounded too good to be true (so much content), which is why I asked since I hadn't heard much about the Vita version so I thought it must have something wrong with it.

Weird. it seems Zavvi lists the console features in their WRC 3 Vita product page... >_> I knew the description sounded too good to be true (so much content), which is why I asked since I hadn't heard much about the Vita version so I thought it must have something wrong with it.

The only thing stopping me from importing what is said to be a great portable rally game is the damn DLC. Great if you've a Euro PSN account, but useless for anyone else. The DLC is free and adds more tracks.

Bit of a shame, really. Still...in a moment of weakness, I might snag it down the line.

Tizoc

If we get any earth shattering Vita announcements on the 20th, I'll add Kaz Harai in my avatar.

Till then, anyone know where to get P4G and VLR US versions for cheap?

hurzelein

Folks! Vita is such a great device for Ps1-Games!

Your recommendations?

More good Jump&Run/Plattformers/Action-Adventures???
No RPG/Final-Fantasy-Stuff please.

Played:

- Crash Bandicoot 1-3 (All play great, 2+3 even with analog-Stick-Mode! Only downer is the terrible save-system for the first title, got really frustrated at some points)

- Crash team Racing (Liked it on the Ps3, didnt like it on my Vita. Dont know why.)

- Driver (Not the best performance and I dont know if I will play it till the end, but its just 2,49€ so I bought it for the nostalgia.)

Will buy:
- Klonoa
- Soul Reaver (can someone say something about the performance/playability today?)
- Spyro 1-3

Aleph

Folks! Vita is such a great device for Ps1-Games!

Your recommendations?

More good Jump&Run/Plattformers/Action-Adventures???
No RPG/Final-Fantasy-Stuff please.

Played:

- Crash Bandicoot 1-3 (All play great, 2+3 even with analog-Stick-Mode! Only downer is the terrible save-system for the first title, got really frustrated at some points)

- Crash team Racing (Liked it on the Ps3, didnt like it on my Vita. Dont know why.)

- Driver (Not the best performance and I dont know if I will play it till the end, but its just 2,49€ so I bought it for the nostalgia.)

Will buy:
- Klonoa
- Soul Reaver (can someone say something about the performance/playability today?)
- Spyro 1-3

How did you get Crash Bandicoot 1-3 in the Vita?

Not in North America.

CoD PSP is available, if you buy a retail version of CoD BLOPs Declassified in North America, lol.

?? Do you mean you get a download code for the PSP game Call of Duty Road to Victory if you buy Black Ops Declassified for the Vita?

edit: I can't find the game on PSN... I'm going to presume this is some kind of shot at the shit quality of BLOPsD...

I finally joined the Vita owners club week. I picked up one of the Assassin's Creed Bundles this week along with Persona 4 Golden and a 32GB memory card. I also downloaded all the free Vita games that I'm entitled to as PS+ Member as well as a bunch of PSP games I missed out on ie Valkyria Chronicles 2, Persona 3 Portable, Vice City Stories.

So far I'm really enjoying the system. Its clearly a pretty powerful little handheld and the gaming selection is pretty good for a gaming system only entering its 2nd year. Persona 4 Golden is pretty much worth the purchase alone but Gravity Rush, Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden Sigma have been loads of fun as well.

Top Bottom