• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Folks, I seriously think this going to happen

happening within a couple weeks:
32gb card - price cut to $50
64gb announced $80
128gb announced (to be available 'sometime' later this year) << no price mentioned
4gb (discontinued)
8, 16 - price lowered respectively
Vita - $30 perm. price drop with new colors Pink, Purple, and at least one limited edition bundle
FOLDERS in next update (still limited to 10 pages)
New program to help localize more PS games
Its a japanese event, theyre not gonna tralk about localization program or us price drop there.

Focus on fw is most likely, I just hope we also get some game announcement

Bullza2o

Vita-only owner here, and I have been since launch day. Recently I've been contemplating whether to get PS+, so I'll ask GAF if it's worth the $50 for 15 months.

I used to own Gravity Rush but sold it before I finished the game, and this is what I have:

Persona 4 Golden - PSN
Hot Shots Golf - card
Super Stardust Delta
Sound Shapes
Motorstorm RC
Mutant Blobs

I hear we get 1 or 2 new Vita games every month, but I'm afraid that those free games might become HSG, SSD, or any game I have. I also don't know what else I'm interested in on top of my head that got released in 2012 other than LBP, Ragnarok, and Virtue's Last Reward. For 2013 so far only Soul Sacrifice is the Vita game I'm considering a purchase, and the rest are 3DS games.

So there is somewhat of a great risk in investing in this service. Is the risk worth it for the long term?
To make it a simpler question, I guess, should I get PS+ or Soul Sacrifice if I can only get one?

I think I was underestimating myself, I just beat the boss of the third level in Ninja Gaiden on my first try, on normal difficulty. On the PS3 version, I was stuck on him for a long time, although I kept trying to spam the flying swallow technique but still he seemed way easier on this playthrough. I was actually kind of shocked that I beat him so easily.

Also I really wish I could stay up for the event.. work tomorrow in the AM so I have to get to bed soon :((

ZeroAKA

So there is somewhat of a great risk in investing in this service. Is the risk worth it for the long term?
To make it a simpler question, I guess, should I get PS+ or Soul Sacrifice if I can only get one?
There isn't really that much of a risk IMO. Judging from your list, you don't own either Ninja Gaiden Sigma+, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, or Uncharted, and those three games combined would be worth about $140 alone. The cloud saving and PS+ exclusives/discounts are just icing on the cake. If you're interested in the games currently at offer, go for PS+ first.

Li Kao

If you like your games "fresh", don't invest.
One year or more will pass before any new game that interest you will be added to ps+, and there is no guarantee it will be added at all.

Fusebox

Banned
V

I'd go with PS+. I've only had my Vita a month and so far I've got for free Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Knytt, Wipeout 2048 (Aus PSN store) and I've got discounts on nearly everything else I've bought.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Its a japanese event, theyre not gonna tralk about localization program or us price drop there.

Focus on fw is most likely, I just hope we also get some game announcement

Yeah,pretty much.

They needed to do something, this "out of no where" Vita event maybe it's Vita last chance of saving itself.

They lost even Digimon, that put the official end of PSP as a platform that worth anything in Japan, Vita is already "too late" to be another PSP but it's not too late to be a "decent" platform in Japan, not PSP2 but something that not abysmal, they need start from scratch with the Japanese handheld market now.

and I really hope they don't screw it.

Bullza2o

Alright I'll probably wait a little bit more by March 4th before deciding to get PS+ or not.

The current list looks OK, but it doesn't make me run to get a PS+ asap. Hopefully the game that replaces Retro City Rampage will be interesting, and if PS Meeting has a part dedicated for Vita something interesting is shown for PS+ as well.

Well thanks for the input everyone.

crinale

In Japan they pretty much ceased shipment of new Vita.
It may indicate the price cut, but we'll see.
(I called it a month ago, btw :) )

VanWinkle

Vita-only owner here, and I have been since launch day. Recently I've been contemplating whether to get PS+, so I'll ask GAF if it's worth the $50 for 15 months.

I used to own Gravity Rush but sold it before I finished the game, and this is what I have:

Persona 4 Golden - PSN
Hot Shots Golf - card
Super Stardust Delta
Sound Shapes
Motorstorm RC
Mutant Blobs

I hear we get 1 or 2 new Vita games every month, but I'm afraid that those free games might become HSG, SSD, or any game I have. I also don't know what else I'm interested in on top of my head that got released in 2012 other than LBP, Ragnarok, and Virtue's Last Reward. For 2013 so far only Soul Sacrifice is the Vita game I'm considering a purchase, and the rest are 3DS games.

You've had a Vita since day 1 and that's all you have? :eek:

Bullza2o

You've had a Vita since day 1 and that's all you have? :eek:

I'm a university student, and people like me don't have much money.

Also, I've been switching from 3DS and Vita from time to time. For example, the first third of 2012 was mostly 3DS (MK, SM3DL, eShop games, KI), then the rest of the year was Vita (P3P, P4G, HSG, Gravity Rush mainly).

2013 so far I finished P4G right before I got FE:A. I guess I'll finish FE then move back to Vita with Soul Sacrifice and NG+ for P4G before the rest of the year which is Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

Being a handheld gamer complements the conditions of a college student very well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Flop presentation, I want my 3AM back -_-

They announced a 20% price drop plus new trailers for games. Fine by me.

Edit: Finally shown and confirmed the still existing FFX HD.

But yeah, overall a bit weak. Although it might server nicely as trailer/ad thing for JP.

daoster

Yeah...a price drop and a bone for ffx were the only good news... And only like 2 games were Vita exclusive... Super disappointing

Noi

I got to see Dragon's Crown again after what feels like ages since the initial reveal, that alone made it worth it.

Jamix012

I think the biggest dissapointment for me was no memory card size increase. Ah well. Not terrible, the price cut should help things a little.

Derrick01

Banned
It's pretty telling that the only interesting thing that was shown was FF10 HD, and I'm not really sure that anything was revealed except that it's still alive.

Oh well screw that I'm going to bed. I don't know what I was expecting.

Twinduct

Went in expecting atleast one of the following:
- Mem size increase/ Mem card price drop
- New firmware (with folders)
- at least one new game with high possibility of coming to the west.

Got some new footage for Dragon's Crown, SS, GE2 and some confirmation that FFX exists.
I would say I'm 10/10 totos :/

It's pretty telling that the only interesting thing that was shown was FF10 HD, and I'm not really sure that anything was revealed except that it's still alive.

Oh well screw that I'm going to bed. I don't know what I was expecting.

You might not like the games shown, but they seem to have a pretty solid line-up for the next quarter if you saw the ending montage.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You might not like the games shown, but they seem to have a pretty solid line-up for the next quarter if you saw the ending montage.

What was in there? Stream bugged out for me.

Pachimari

Remember, this were also tailored toward the Japanese audience. I don't believe Soul Sacrifice, God Eater 2, Gundam, Valkyria Knights 3, Phantasy Star Online 2 or Final Fantasy X HD are small games. They aren't for me (FFX is!) but I think they might have done alright with this PS Heaven, besides no new games.

Twinduct

Don't know about him, but won't start caring until some form of confirmation of the games coming to the west

In all honesty though, the SS game looked insane and would love if Sony pushes some mad DLC for the game.

What was in there? Stream bugged out for me.

Soul Sacrifice
Something that looked like a chibi dungeon crawler
Muramasa
NGS2+
DOA5
Atelier Meruru+
Baseball Game
+ a few more I can't remember

Don't know about him, but won't start caring until some form of confirmation of the games coming to the west. In all honesty though, the SS game looked insane and would love if Sony pushes some mad DLC for the game.

Half of these have been confirmed for the west.

daoster

Its quite depressing that for a company that bought us fun new franchises on the PSP like loco roco and patapon give us fucking nothing on the Vita. Really Sony? Can't even introduce a new first party game?

Remember, this were also tailored toward the Japanese audience. I don't believe Soul Sacrifice, God Eater 2, Gundam, Valkyria Knights 3, Phantasy Star Online 2 or Final Fantasy X HD are small games. They aren't for me (FFX is!) but I think they might have done alright with this PS Heaven, besides no new games.
It doesn't help that only one of those is exclusive to Vita.

In case no one posted it yet, a quick summary of the stream. may be incomplete due to my memory

-PS VITA System-
1.Price drop: 19,980 yen for both Wi-Fi and 3G models
2. a free week of PS+ for Japan accounts (free games include Uncharted, Dokuro, some others I forget
3. Reader App (for manga)
4. Torne App (PS3's TV recorder thing, only in Japan)
5. New silver color for Vita

-Games-
1. PSO2 (Bundle with silver Vita for 19,980 yen)
2. Monster Hunter clones up the wazoo, Soul Sacrifice, God Eater 2, Toukiden, Valhalla Knights 3
3. Dragon's Crown (2D side scrolling Mon Hun clone? lol)
4. Sen no Kieski
5. UMD Passport: import PSP God Eater 2 to Vita (for free? i forget)
6. Gundam Breaker (Mon Hun mech clone?)
7. FF X (character model only)

In case no one posted it yet, a quick summary of the stream. may be incomplete due to my memory

-PS VITA System-
1.Price drop: 19,980 yen for both Wi-Fi and 3G models
2. a free week of PS+ for Japan accounts (free games include Uncharted, Dokuro, some others I forget
3. Reader App (for manga)
4. Torne App (PS3's TV recorder thing, only in Japan)
5. New silver color for Vita

-Games-
1. PSO2 (Bundle with silver Vita for 19,980 yen)
2. Monster Hunter clones up the wazoo, Soul Sacrifice, God Eater 2, Toukiden, Valhalla Knights 3
3. Dragon's Crown (2D side scrolling Mon Hun clone? lol)
4. Sen no Kieski
5. UMD Passport: import PSP God Eater 2 to Vita (for free? i forget)
6. Gundam Breaker (Mon Hun mech clone?)
7. FF X (character model only)

You forgot toukiden, and I think it's a little far fetched to call every single multiplayer action-rpg game a MH clone. DC a MH clone? Now that's stretching it as hell.

daoster

When the perception that 3DS and Wii U were failing, Nintendo held events that brought out their heavy hitters and attempted to bring confidence to the systems. Sony gives us a price cut and nothing else. Does anybody have confidence in a Vita turnaround in JAPAN with an event like that? Cause I sure as hell don't.

You forgot toukiden, and I think it's a little far fetched to call every single multiplayer action-rpg game a MH clone. DC a MH clone? Now that's stretching it as hell.

Toukiden's on the list. And I'm just poking fun at Dragon's Crown since some people in the Vita Heaven Thread were calling it that. :)

When the perception that 3DS and Wii U were failing, Nintendo held events that brought out their heavy hitters and attempted to bring confidence to the systems. Sony gives us a price cut and nothing else. Does anybody have confidence in a Vita turnaround in JAPAN with an event like that? Cause I sure as hell don't.

They showed a lot of games for the systems but they get the ditch just because they are not new and MP centric?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
freaking massive disappointment and waste of time,Sony just gave up completely on Vita it seems(will write my thoughts later when I wake up)

Well at least Dragon's Crown is still a thing.

smh@SCEJ and SCE Japan Studio

Top Bottom