• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Twinduct

Hmm saw that Gertsman was defending this? Giantbomb cares about the Vita?

Oh at top, err would suggest buying stuff for the Vita, but it might serve a better purpose being thrown into a wishing well.

He's saying that many non-Japanese people are complaining about the stream even though it's by SCEJ for the Japanese region and not intended for other regions (although some games may be released overseas like Soul Sacrifice)

daoster

Console exclusivity is overrated. I really love the double releases of Vita + PS3 games, it's the only way to target both the east and west markets.

Uh that's great for you, but why will Japanese gamers buy a Vita if they can buy most of these games on a system they already own?

They showed a lot of games for the systems but they get the ditch just because they are not new and MP centric?

A lot of games that we all know about, and only two that were exclusive for the Vita. Oh yeah and zero games from Sony.

If they can't be bothered to care, why should third party developers care?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Oh at top, err would suggest buying stuff for the Vita, but it might serve a better purpose being thrown into a wishing well.
You guys are overreacting WAY too much what this means for Vita. Gravity Rush 2 will probably be announced at one point and several other games as well. Its just more of an announcement thing what to expect in JP within the next few weeks.

Seriously, calm down guys. Nothing happened that is affecting you. Literally.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

my guess is a clone of a monster hunter clone.

You guys are overreacting WAY too much what this means for Vita. Gravity Rush 2 will probably be announced at one point and several other games as well. Its just more of an announcement thing what to expect in JP within the next few weeks.

no, this was a huge disaster, there is no way around it.

bad show, nothing news, one Vita only game, all MH clones, this is a huge failure and a really grim situation.

Twinduct

He's saying that many non-Japanese people are complaining about the stream even though it's by SCEJ for the Japanese region and not intended for other regions (although some games may be released overseas like Soul Sacrifice)

Yeah I just mean it's interesting seeing them actually standing up for the Vita!

Lol I'm not reacting. Just though the top of the page recommend was topical :p
And the gerstman thing was an actual question. Since I know Giantbomb has been kinda indifferent to sometimes hostile to the vita :p

Well doom and gloom aside I'm gonna look forward to the sales chart for the month of Feb in Japan for the Vita. Will it outsell the 3DS or get close to it? Or is the 3DS juggernaut too strong?

Honestly I expected nothing out of the conference for me as soon as I heard the guy talk in Japanese. I remember this happening last time and I realize this is all for the people of Japan who want this type of announcement.

Still a price cut for Japan should mean a price cut all over soon so sales should go up.

I WANT THAT SILVER VITA. I'm gonna sell mine and import the Silver one. But the Soul Sacrifice one looks sick. Too bad its limited or I would import that one later.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Lol I'm not reacting. Just though the top of the page recommend was topical :p
And the gerstman thing was an actual question. Since I know Giantbomb has been kinda indifferent to sometimes hostile to the vita :p

Maybe you werent, but just look at Toto above you, or the stream thread :p
People read way too much into this. Apparently it wasnt MEANT to announce new games, and focussed on mostly MH games for JP audiences. Thats perfectly fine. We know other games are coming that havent been announced in that stream because it wasnt MEANT to announce them.

Twinduct

People read way too much into this.

True, although I've learned to not fight against the fold. Toto wouldn't be happy unless they showed folklore and most people just have no idea to control their expectations. People hype themselves up beyond satisfaction.

I do agree it's pretty shitty and that given the circumstances, Sony should have tried harder. They knew the world will be watching. However this is the reality and we just need to make the best of it.

daoster

People read way too much into this. Apparently it wasnt MEANT to announce new games, and focussed on mostly MH games for JP audiences. Thats perfectly fine. We know other games are coming that havent been announced in that stream because it wasnt MEANT to announce them.

How are we suppose to read this? A price cut is a perfect chance to introduce new games because naturally attention will be focused on the system from the gaming press.

Oh wait no, this was for the Japanese and I guess they don't need new games!

The_Afroman

Am I the only one that during the stream, was hoping for some sort of "Ambassador" program? You know? Like Nintendo did with the original 3DS?

I'm not as disappointed as others, as i know that most of these games are targeted towards Japan. But I do feel their just wasn't enough.. price drop on system is great.. but no price drop on memory? *sigh*

I do want that Red Soul Sacrifice Vita though..But don;t want to pay 400 bucks for it.. import tax and all. PLEASE announce a red Vita in the US Sony!

Twinduct

Am I the only one that during the stream, was hoping for some sort of "Ambassador" program? You know? Like Nintendo did with the original 3DS?

I'm not as disappointed as others, as i know that most of these games are targeted towards Japan. But I do feel their just wasn't enough.. price drop on system is great.. but no price drop on memory? *sigh*

I do want that Red Soul Sacrifice Vita though..But don;t want to pay 400 bucks for it.. import tax and all. PLEASE announce a red Vita in the US Sony!

I imagine PS+ kinda nullifies the idea of an Ambassador system though.
I would buy a second Vita if the SS one came to EU lol

Toma

How are we suppose to read this? A price cut is a perfect chance to introduce new games because naturally attention will be focused on the system from the gaming press.

Oh wait no, this was for the Japanese and I guess they don't need new games!

You were supposed to read it as "Hey jp folks, we made a little show for you to get excited about the games releasing in the next few weeks for you!".

The bigger games that will be released later havent been announced here, BECAUSE the conference wasnt MEANT to announce them. Seriously, get your head straight people.

my guess is a clone of a monster hunter clone.

Yo dawg, I heard you like Monster Hunter...

But in all seriousness, while this might not be the news that everyone wanted to hear, I think this is a decent (but not great) starting point for SCEJ. The price drop and the Mon Hun clones will definitely ship more units in Japan. Yeah, MH4 is coming to the 3DS, but I think games like Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden will attract some attention and do modestly well. PS+ here in Japan has been terrible, offering nothing but small discounts and 0 to few free games, unlike PS+ in America and Europe. With a week of free PS+ and 5 (iirc) free games, I feel confident Sony will get more subscribers or at least make people more aware. I think this may be key for them, since the PS4 will probably offer a lot of PS+ services and all of my Japanese friends with a PS3 don't subscribe and only a few know what PS+ is.

This announcement will help improve the Vita's situation in Japan (even if only a little), but I hope Sony also does something for the Vita in the Americas and Europe. *crosses fingers*

Oshimai

Because like many others, your expectations were too high. Any groundbreaking Vita news, or console news for that matter, I expect from larger venues such as E3; not presentations that are shown the same day I found out about them.

Toma

Because like many others, your expectations were too high. Any groundbreaking Vita news, or console news for that matter, I expect from larger venues such as E3; not presentations that are shown the same day I found out about them.

Correct. People shouldnt make a fuss about this. And the mod renaming the Vita Heaven thread is pretty stupid as well. Geez,the overreaction is ridiculous.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
You were supposed to read it as "Hey jp folks, we made a little show for you to get excited about the games releasing in the next few weeks for you!".

The bigger games that will be released later havent been announced here, BECAUSE the conference wasnt MEANT to announce them. Seriously, get your head straight people.
This makes sense. First response is to go 'wtf is this shit!' but when you realise it's mostly for the price cut, and showing games coming out very soon for people who would bite on the price cut, it kinda makes sense. Still disappointing not seeing much new, though.

DiscoJer

I dunno I thought it was going to be something like this:

"We know the Vita is selling horribly in every market, including Japan where handhelds are still very popular. So as to reassure you that the Vita has a future and would be worth a purchase, we're going to announce some of the new games being made for it."

I mean, really, yes, a couple potentially big games are coming out for it in the next couple weeks. But what after that? There haven't been games announced in a while. Will people really go and rush out and buy a $200 device when there doesn't seem to be anything announced for the future?

daoster

Again, with the perception that the 3DS is struggling, Nintendo has held several direct events to show case new unannounced games and heavy hitters.

Sony apparently have to remind their Japanese consumers of what games are being released.

Says it all really

Pretty much.

And any megaton announced here would be overshadowed by the announce in two days.

Toma

This makes sense. First response is to go 'wtf is this shit!' but when you realise it's mostly for the price cut, and showing games coming out very soon for people who would bite on the price cut, it kinda makes sense. Still disappointing not seeing much new, though.

True, not saying I am not a bit disappointed not seeing anything new. But its just that, the price cut announcement and a few things to get jp people to bite the price cut. And its not that bad for that purpose even.

Besides, seeing Dragons Crown and FFX was rather neat if you consider it just a small "buying incentive" video.

Toma

I dunno I thought it was going to be something like this:

"We know the Vita is selling horribly in every market, including Japan where handhelds are still very popular. So as to reassure you that the Vita has a future and would be worth a purchase, we're going to announce some of the new games being made for it."

I mean, really, yes, a couple potentially big games are coming out for it in the next couple weeks. But what after that? There haven't been games announced in a while. Will people really go and rush out and buy a $200 device when there doesn't seem to be anything announced for the future?

You can argue about whether Sony SHOULD make a conference about stuff for Vita thats coming later (I put my money on E3 for that this year), but basing all that doom on this single stream is super silly. It wasnt meant to announce new games, so they didnt. If they wanted, they would have at least included a Gravity Rush 2 teaser (even if its just a logo), but they apparently didnt because they wanted to show JP audiences what to expect in the next few weeks.

daoster

Sony ignored Vita last year at E3 and almost all the games announced at TGS were not exclusive to Vita, so how will this year be different?

Oh yeah, don't worry Vita heaven 3 will have those new games right?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Highlight of the conference was that it'd hopefully zip up Totobeni concerning all matters Dragon's Crown.

Sony ignored Vita last year at E3 and almost all the games announced at TGS were not exclusive to Vita, so how will this year be different?

Oh yeah, don't worry Vita heaven 3 will have those new games right?

Someone said that conference was aired on Japanise TV ?

If so it makes sense they concentrated on pushing device to mainstream people in Japan ?

Toma

Well to be fair, they kind of raised expectations with the price cut announcement.

So you mean they should have ended the conference with that news instead? I think it served its purpose well. "Hey jp guys, Vita is now cheaper! And remember that these games come out SOON:"

Not many people own or are informed about Vita, especially in japan. The stream makes perfect sense as an informational reel for the jp audiences.

If so it makes sense they concentrated on pushing device to mainstream people in Japan ?

It totally does. The whole situation is just western people trying to think everything belongs to them, and if it doesnt it sucks. It was meant to inform and convince JP mainstream audiences.

daoster

Oh yeah, when all but 2 games being available for either PS3 or PSP (with one game available for PC) I'm sure these games will pull Vita into mainstream!

Vita Heaven 2 was just a Feb 20th rehearsal for me, the Sony Ustream link worked like a charm, good quality and no stuttering. My body and my shitty Internetz is ready ;)

I didn't even know about Vita Heaven 2 thing and I got a price cut, FFX and Dragon's Crown, so it isn't that bad.

Sid

If they just wanted to announce the price drop they could've done that on the 20th...what was the point of this?

Toma

This is what the stream just said:

Price cut + new color + Phantasy Star Online 2 F2P same week + Souls Sacrifice a week later. It's a good movement at least on japanese market.

That sounds rather neat for new customers as an incentive to buy a Vita. Especially considering those games are bigger in JP than in EU or US.

2 games your region is anticipating plus new color, plus price cut, plus some more games coming out immediately after. That conference fit its purpose perfectly.

Takao

Banned
I shutter to think what will go down during this week's third party Nintendo Direct. Will Yakuza finally debut on Nintendo? Final Fantasy Type-0? Tales of Betrayal?

keeping my blinders on..

That being said how would you guys rate the Final fantasy games availible through psn?
Already have 7 and tactics (psp)

sort of want 3, 4, & 9.

Any opinions? How do they hold up, how are the load times? Any other suggestions?

Toma

If they just wanted to announce the price drop they could've done that on the 20th...what was the point of this?

See post below yours. Come on guys, get some sense in here. You are better than the hypnotised masses in that other thread.

keeping my blinders on..

That being said how would you guys rate the Final fantasy games availible through psn?
Already have 7 and tactics (psp)

sort of want 3, 4, & 9.

Any opinions? How do they hold up, how are the load times? Any other suggestions?

Get 9! Fantastic game that still holds up marvellously.

daoster

This is what the stream just said:

That sounds rather neat for new customers as an incentive to buy a Vita. Especially considering those games are bigger in JP than in EU or US.

2 games your region is anticipating plus new color, plus price cut, plus some more games coming out immediately after. That conference fit its purpose perfectly.

The eternal optimism of some Vita fans never cease to astound me. Bravo

Kyon

Banned
I know but why provide just a recap? there was nothing new besides the price cut.

idk i dont think this was advertised to have any new announcements we were just hyping it :)

EDIT: it could be a recap for ppl interested with the pricecut to see what games are coming out for it when they make their purchase

Toma

The eternal optimism of some Vita fans never cease to astound me. Bravo

Optimism would mean that I am just imagining things that might not necessarily come true? They just ANNOUNCED a price cut (which is huge), a new color (which is good PR) and informed the public about 2 games that people want to play. Anyone arguing that this was a shit showing for its intended purpose is just blind.

I know but why provide just a recap? there was nothing new besides the price cut.

It makes sense as an informational reel for mainstream audiences in JP that should pick up a Vita for games coming out SOON. Plus price cut, plus new color.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Price cut + here are some games to look forward to this year?

It isn't as hype inducing as Nintendo's long-term promises (X coming to Wii U sometime during its shelf life), but it's likely all they could pull.

Top Bottom