• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

we have gotten way off topic in the theme of the thread... and my question is even more off topic...

but if that is all you wanted why not get a PC... for a little more than the cost of the wiiu (450-500) you could get a gaming rig that would be able to push 1080p no problem and steam has trophies. you also would have had access to much cheaper games, a much bigger library, and had far more control over your games.

don't like how something is controlled.. change the keys...
don't like an aspect of a game, find a mod ect.

anyways more on topic... I finally am putting the final touches on my persona 4 first look review... just need to have one more person read it to make sure I don't have any huge errors before I try to set it loose on the wild.

As a PC gamer, I concur with your statement. My guess is there are two factors people are looking at with the Wii U:

1) Nintendo owned franchises
2) Off screen play

Now buy Hot Shots Golf, damnit!

kassatsu

Banned
Here's my Urban Trial Freestyle review... http://fyfyi.com/2013/02/19/urban-trial-freestyle-vita-ps3-review/

Im sure kass will have his up any minute. The embargo is over. I assume it generally will get strong reviews - it's a ton of fun at a good price. The PS3 version is superior though - of course.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Vita version has better leaderboards I think and is on the go. But it has gimped levels and scoring system. (no points gone for crashing)

PS3 has better levels, hazards x10, the better scoring system. But the leaderboards aren't as good.

The screen tearing on the ps3 is a bit bothersome also - but it's 60fps. The vita is 30 but the IQ is great. They definitely did a good job of working to strengths of each platform.

The screen tearing on the ps3 is a bit bothersome also - but it's 60fps. The vita is 30 but the IQ is great. They definitely did a good job of working to strengths of each platform.

So the Vita version doesn't have tearing? Because I will buy the version without tearing. Nothing is worst than screen tear.

Sei Madou Monogatari trailer is up.
So it is more like Mystery Dungeon type of dungeon crawler, hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87dUiQd08Zs
Obviously not the most lavish production, but then roguelikes have traditionally been ASCII text. Having put numerous hours into Angband, I'd love to have something similar on my Vita.

EDF is decent, but $40 is way too steep of a price--it's not hard to find the PS3/360 version of this for less than $15, so keep that in mind as you consider paying the "digital only, Vita game" tax.
There's no PS3 version of 2017, only the far less entertaining Insect Armageddon. Also the Vita version adds the Pale Wing, online co-op, and a bunch of new weapons/support items for Storm 1. Flying around with the Pale Wing, or using a Limit Booster to overcharge the mech is so much fun, I would never recommend someone the Xbox version instead.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Here's my Urban Trial Freestyle review... http://fyfyi.com/2013/02/19/urban-trial-freestyle-vita-ps3-review/

Im sure kass will have his up any minute. The embargo is over. I assume it generally will get strong reviews - it's a ton of fun at a good price. The PS3 version is superior though - of course.

I wanted to avoid mentioning Trials HD and/or Trials Evolution at all in this review of Urban Trial Freestyle, because I felt like it’s a bit unfair that UTF is seen as a ‘copycat’ game.

the next paragraph.

Urban Trial Freestyle is a better and more varied game than Trials HD

:|

Otherwise, UTF is exactly what you would expect from a Trials style game. The physics are solid, the sense of speed can be intense, the track design goes from tame to HOLY CRAP HOW AM I NOT DYING?

so, it is indeed another clone with nothing new to the genre.

The tracks, especially on the ps3, are very interactive in that things happening in the background will become part of the track right before your eyes.

The Vita tracks are a bit more static than the PS3 version, like you are seeing the aftermath of the PS3 tracks

In the end it comes down to which version makes more sense for you. If you want the best version – that’s easy, go with the PS3.

Vita is the gimped version confirmed.

*smh*

Anyway,from reading the review the game sound like it's nothing new(360 people might also just avoid it completely) and is better to get at $5 or lower especially for the gimped Vita version.

we have gotten way off topic in the theme of the thread... and my question is even more off topic...

but if that is all you wanted why not get a PC... for a little more than the cost of the wiiu (450-500) you could get a gaming rig that would be able to push 1080p no problem and steam has trophies. you also would have had access to much cheaper games, a much bigger library, and had far more control over your games.

My 2500K@4,5Ghz with 470GTX is feelin quite nicely ;)

wouwie

Happy to see the review scores for Urban Trials. They all seem rather positive so far so i'm all over this one tomorrow (ps3 version though).

Anyone up for a small OT maybe? I'm no good with photoshop so i can't do it.

Also totobeni, you could have atleast included my reasoning for comparing them. You make it seem like i said i wasn't going to and then inexplicably do. :/

Why are the PS3 and Vita versions completely different? Doesn't make sense. I hope Trials comes over and it should since the dev is now waned by Ubisoft.

As a PC gamer, I concur with your statement. My guess is there are two factors people are looking at with the Wii U:

1) Nintendo owned franchises
2) Off screen play

Now buy Hot Shots Golf, damnit!

Man, if someone could get that Wii U GamePad's off-screen play working with all my PC games I'd buy a Wii U just for that.

I assume it's not possible or it'd be very laggy, though. I guess there's always the Shield for that.

Oh, PS Vita games? Hotline Miami? Plenty more. We’re just getting warmed up. And it’s not even tomorrow yet.
This is pretty exciting, but maybe he just means PS games in general rather than PS Vita?

This is pretty exciting, but maybe he just means PS games in general rather than PS Vita?

I've heard from inside sony that they are targeting a bunch of 'big' indie games. I think it's reasonable to expect Fez, Dust an elysian tale, limbo and others on the machine this year. If they are making that public tomorrow that's awesome.

Sid

I've heard from inside sony that they are targeting a bunch of 'big' indie games. I think it's reasonable to expect Fez, Dust an elysian tale, limbo and others on the machine this year. If they are making that public tomorrow that's awesome.
Expected, no big games then right?

If the vita basically becomes a place for PSN/xbla games plus some vita specific big titles then that's a success for me. I'd love it till the end of time

Sweet. I want FTL. It could work pretty well with a touchscreen.

The guy i was talking to is a producer, he asked me for a list of games that I thought would work well on the system saying he would pass it on. FTL was at the top.

I don't know if that means anything, but atleast one person in there knows it's wanted :)

Expected, no big games then right?

There are still big games coming. In fact they have something as big if not bigger than Assassin's Creed coming this fall from a western third party. But I can't be the one to make that reveal. Hopefully it's mentioned tomorrow.

Andrefpvs

Just got this:

HDwHXpw.jpg

I AM SO, SO EXCITED! YES!

Moobabe

If the Vita became an indie machine I would pick it up in a heartbeat: FTL, Fez, Braid, Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami, Frozen Synapse, Binding of Isaac, Legend of Grimrock, Limbo, Superbrothers, Defcon, Uplink...

Fuck.

zulux21

the creator of dust actually just started chatting with the monogame people
what monogame does
Our goal is to make it easy for XNA developers to create cross-platform games with extremely high code reuse. We currently support iOS, Android, Windows (both OpenGL and DirectX), Mac OS X, Linux, Windows 8 Store, Windows Phone 8, PlayStation Mobile, and the OUYA console.

which Dust would be awesome on the vita, his hints point towards him being focused on a PC version for now... and while the 360 version didn't do terrible, it sounds like he earned around a break even point, so he likely isn't going to jump right to the ps3/psv if he ever does... he will likely have to do it one step at a time with it on PC first trying to get a fanbase built up, and then think about a ps3/vita version. I could be wrong though as Dean is pretty quiet about his plans.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Well if this is Sony "new strategy" for Vita then it'll need something really popular like DayZ or Minecraft.

If the Vita became an indie machine I would pick it up in a heartbeat: FTL, Fez, Braid, Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami, Frozen Synapse, Binding of Isaac, Legend of Grimrock, Limbo, Superbrothers, Defcon, Uplink...

Fuck.

Frozen Synapse and Binding of Issac are already confirmed, aren't they? If not - oops ;)

Sid

There are still big games coming. In fact they have something as big if not bigger than Assassin's Creed coming this fall from a western third party. But I can't be the one to make that reveal. Hopefully it's mentioned tomorrow.
Cool,Vita needs big system selling games.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
the creator of dust actually just started chatting with the monogame people
what monogame does

which Dust would be awesome on the vita, his hints point towards him being focused on a PC version for now... and while the 360 version didn't do terrible, it sounds like he earned around a break even point, so he likely isn't going to jump right to the ps3/psv if he ever does... he will likely have to do it one step at a time with it on PC first trying to get a fanbase built up, and then think about a ps3/vita version. I could be wrong though as Dean is pretty quiet about his plans.

Frozen Synapse and Binding of Issac are already confirmed, aren't they? If not - oops ;)
Also, Divekick. There's definitely a compelling story there to tell for the press conference.

zulux21

Well if this is Sony "new strategy" for Vita then it'll need something really popular like DayZ or Minecraft.

Minecraft is still under exclusive contract with microsoft, but notch has already hinted that once that is up he will be bringing it to other platforms.

Moobabe

Also, Divekick. There's definitely a compelling story there to tell for the press conference.

Removal of all barriers for independent developers to get on the Vita would be an amazing announcement. The indie scene is so vibrant, and so diverse that that would be worth more, to me at least, than CoD, AC, FIFA etc

The guy i was talking to is a producer, he asked me for a list of games that I thought would work well on the system saying he would pass it on. FTL was at the top.

I don't know if that means anything, but atleast one person in there knows it's wanted :)
Eugh I love FTL. If I had it on Vita I'm afraid I'd probably miss a lot bus/train stops, haha. Hoping to see it. :p

Oh now you're just getting me all giddy.

Fuck.

Four of those already coming, so it's looking good! Legend of Grimrock would be fantastic, too.

Sony also need to get working on making Terraria PSN cross-buy/play. :D

Eugh I love FTL. If I had it on Vita I'm afraid I'd probably miss a lot bus/train stops, haha. Hoping to see it. :p

Oh now you're just getting me all giddy.

Four of those already coming, so it's looking good! Legend of Grimrock would be fantastic, too.

I would punch a baby for Grimrock on my Vita.

Minecraft is still under exclusive contract with microsoft, but notch has already hinted that once that is up he will be bringing it to other platforms.

They are definitely going after minecraft. That isn't news, obviously - I think we can assume everything and everyone is. I have no idea if they got a deal done or when MS's deal runs out... but I do know they are actively looking at it.

Moobabe

Legend of Grimrock could be the Vita's answer to Etryian Odyssey.

And I'm just going through my list of Indie games on Steam imagining them on the Vita. A man can dream.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Removal of all barriers for independent developers to get on the Vita would be an amazing announcement. The indie scene is so vibrant, and so diverse that that would be worth more, to me at least, than CoD, AC, FIFA etc
It actually makes a lot of sense, when you think about it. Vita development would be expensive for big teams trying to do AAA stuff but conceivably pretty cheap for smaller devs who are only focusing on the one device.

It could very well wind up that the Vita ends up being the ultimate analog stick-clad mobile indie machine as the PSP was the ultimate JRPG machine. Here's hoping Sony has the foresight to both do the dev relations work to make that possible and spin it to the press / public clearly.

Top Bottom