• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

It actually makes a lot of sense, when you think about it. Vita development would be expensive for big teams trying to do AAA stuff but conceivably pretty cheap for smaller devs who are only focusing on the one device.

It could very well wind up that the Vita ends up being the ultimate analog stick-clad mobile indie machine as the PSP was the ultimate JRPG machine. Here's hoping Sony has the foresight to both do the dev relations work to make that possible and spin it to the press / public clearly.

SCEA definitely has this vision. I can't speak for SCEE or SCEJ. Actually I can't speak for SCEA either - lol. But you get my point ;)

Moobabe

I've tweeted Introversion to ask about Defcon/Uplink - it's probably the longest shot of ALL indie games (aside from Braid) - but you never know.

Massa

There are still big games coming. In fact they have something as big if not bigger than Assassin's Creed coming this fall from a western third party. But I can't be the one to make that reveal. Hopefully it's mentioned tomorrow.

That's interesting - I believe the only third party franchises bigger than AC right now are COD and GTA. ;)

FrankCaron

Gold Member
SCEA definitely has this vision. I can't speak for SCEE or SCEJ. Actually I can't speak for SCEA either - lol. But you get my point ;)
I wish they would state that opinion out publicly in a form that consumers could hear it. Seriously, a "strategy / vision" profile video on the PS blog would go a long way to presenting a clear vision to consumers.

Imo, what is really hurting sales for Vita is not the software line-up or the price or even the memory card situation: it's that a clear vision for the platform has not been stated, even to this day.

"We want to give indie devs a platform with full console controls, connectivity, and the trimmings of a dedicated gaming machine that will enable their unique creations to be played in the palms of their fans' hands any time, any where". How hard is that to state publicly?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
its actually really nice to see these indie games come to vita and not 3ds (yet).

that said i can only be so supportive of the plethora of indie games that i already own on steam...hope we get some bigger games, dont have to be AAA i'll take middle of the road games, just give me variety and newness.

zulux21

I don't mind this vision one bit. I'm more likely to be excited about an indie game than big AAA title anyways. Indie games are cheaper and tend to have more interesting gameplay as they don't have to play it safe to make sure they make back the 100 million dollar budget.

Honestly my big hopes for the vita are indie games and a steady stream of niche japanese games like the psp had.

its actually really nice to see these indie games come to vita and not 3ds (yet).

a lot of the games i would like to see come to both just because they are good games and deserve to be enjoyed by people.
I can't even slightly stand how nintendo handles online buys though so obviously I want the games to come to the vita so I can buy them as I don't buy anything from the eshop period.

Ponn

Banned
There are still big games coming. In fact they have something as big if not bigger than Assassin's Creed coming this fall from a western third party. But I can't be the one to make that reveal. Hopefully it's mentioned tomorrow.

Please dont be another FPS. I didnt get a Vita for FPS.

If it's definitely Ubisoft... Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six?

EDIT: Ubi did say AC:L gave them 'similar ideas for another franchise' I think.

Moobabe

I'd bet money on Rainbow Six or Splinter Cell: something Ubisoft, for sure, as Guillemot is a metrics guy and the sales of AC:L will give the Vita at least one more big Ubisoft game undoubtedly.

Didn't someone earlier in the thread "leak" Rainbow Six for the vita? It's quoted on this page somewhere I think

breakfuss

I wish they would state that opinion out publicly in a form that consumers could hear it. Seriously, a "strategy / vision" profile video on the PS blog would go a long way to presenting a clear vision to consumers.

Imo, what is really hurting sales for Vita is not the software line-up or the price or even the memory card situation: it's that a clear vision for the platform has not been stated, even to this day.

"We want to give indie devs a platform with full console controls, connectivity, and the trimmings of a dedicated gaming machine that will enable their unique creations to be played in the palms of their fans' hands any time, any where". How hard is that to state publicly?

I agree with everything you've said, although your mentioned caveats (games, price, memory cards) aren't helping the situation either. I've just about had it going into a every store and seeing only 2 or 3 vita games on the shelf. There's no vita "presence" and it's so disheartening.

zulux21

Ok, it's a tier below in sales... but is a generally more respected franchise with people who hang out at places like neogaf.

my mind first went to the elder scrolls series...
and then to borderlands 2 lol.

while I am curious all i need from this fall for me to be happy are the games we already have confirmed for the fall
Ys 4
maybe muramasa if it's not a summer release
and the binding of isaac

I agree with everything you've said, although your mentioned caveats (games, price, memory cards) aren't helping the situation either. I've just about had it going into a every store and seeing only 2 or 3 vita games on the shelf. There's no vita "presence" and it's so disheartening.

my local target has a vita display with like 12 games... and then a vita section separate from that with like another 20 games lol

I think R6 game is coming, but that wasn't what i was hinting at. I'm sorry that im such a tease right now - i really shouldn't have even said what I said. But I obviously can't be the first to announce this thing or sony will track down who i know and kill them.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i truely think vita is in a better posistion now than it was 6-9 months ago.

2013 is shaping up for the little guy...

and to think! there was so much bad mouthing in january...

I think R6 game is coming, but that wasn't what i was hinting at. I'm sorry that im such a tease right now - i really shouldn't have even said what I said. But I obviously can't be the first to announce this thing or sony will track down who i know and kill them.

been going over every one of your posts looking for subtle easter egg hints..... blink once if i should look at the first letter of every sentence you posted to create a hidden message...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Yep, just disappear quietly and tell no one.
Looking forward to tomorrow :) Do we know how long that thing is going to be?

i truely think vita is in a better posistion now than it was 6-9 months ago.

2013 is shaping up for the little guy...

and to think! there was so much bad mouthing in january...

In JANUARY? Where have you been yesterday?

zulux21

Personally I find teases like this fun.

Moobabe

Personally I appreciate it; I know what it's like being in the know about some stuff and people poking at you for information on here.

It's good to know this stuff is coming though - I still don't own one (but I want one) - so I hope that these announcements, price drops, indie games etc do well so I can justify the purchase.

The list of indie games I posted earlier would make me shell out immediately though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Im contemplating streaming some of the PS3 version if anyone wants to see it. Though Im sure kass is doing the same thing (and he was always higher than me on the leaderboards - heh).

Tarin02543

During the Vita launch I was really hyped up on this handheld, especially the oled screen is a big attraction for me. I was in the middle of jobs though so I didn't bite the financial bullet.

tomorrow we'll see what the ps4 will be so perhaps i might buy the vita afterall, to prepare myself for the awesomeness that will be ps4.

breakfuss

my local target has a vita display with like 12 games... and then a vita section separate from that with like another 20 games lol

K, well, I don't know what part of the country you live in, but I'm in a major metropolitan area and virtually none of the stores have vita merchandise. Gamestop is probably the best I've seen, with Target in second. Even then, Target has like one copy of each game.

I wish I knew more about tomorrow. The few people I do know inside sony aren't a part of the event. So there are things I've heard mumblings about (like, say, remote play on everything) but I don't know if that's confirmed or if it will be discussed at the show.

If sony was smart - and lets be honest, they aren't - they would integrate the vita with the PS4 completely. Remote play on everything. Access to your gaikai library. Use it as a controller wii u style (or LBP2 style) and then announce the software coming - the well regarded indies, killzone, y's, and the famousmortimer mystery third party game, etc.

That would be amazing. But how many times have we gotten excited about what sony is going to do regarding the vita and then gotten burned. So Im trying to temper my hype.

zulux21

K, well, I don't know what part of the country you live in, but I'm in a major metropolitan area and virtually none of the stores have vita merchandise. Gamestop is probably the best I've seen, with Target in second. Even then, Target has like one copy of each game.

oh I wasn't trying to say you were wrong... I know the vita displays are pathetic in general. I just found it funny my target was like that when i went there last week.

I'm not quite in a major metropolitan area just a decently well known one. Madison Wisconsin.

Moobabe

That would be amazing. But how many times have we gotten excited about what sony is going to do regarding the vita and then gotten burned. So Im trying to temper my hype.

This is where I am. I try not to get worked up over things like this. The only expectation I have for tomorrow is they show the machine and a couple of games. Anything more than that (price, launch window etc) is a bonus.

AssCreed, as a franchise is pretty huge, with 3 selling over 12 million copies. The only 3rd party games that I can think of the top of my head that are as big, if not bigger than it, are COD, GTA, RDR, Battlefield, WoW, Diablo. Whatever the case may be I hope the game is polished and is not a bug fest like AC3: L, I'm almost done with that game and what a mess it is. Still overall enjoyable, but I don't see potential from those developers to make a big jump like AC1-AC2 like I see Bend doing with Uncharted.

EDIT: You are talking about sales being a little lower than AC franchise, so now I have a pretty good idea what you're talking about, depending on the developer is, would be exciting :)

If the Vita became an indie machine I would pick it up in a heartbeat: FTL, Fez, Braid, Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami, Frozen Synapse, Binding of Isaac, Legend of Grimrock, Limbo, Superbrothers, Defcon, Uplink...

Fuck.

PSM was supposed to be just that, along with many other ipod/android games like fruit ninja, cut the rope, angry birds, etc. Too bad that initiative is a major bust, it had so much potential too.

Well if this is Sony "new strategy" for Vita then it'll need something really popular like DayZ or Minecraft.

DayZ would be awesome. Minecraft, I don't personally care, but can see the importance.

Speaking of PSN/XBL games, Shadow Complex would work great on Vita IMO. EDIT: And Super Meat Boy and Castle Crashers too.

If Sony was smart (they aren't), the majority, if not all, PSN games would be playable on vita.

Massa

AssCreed, as a franchise is pretty huge, with 3 selling over 12 million copies. The only 3rd party games that I can think of the top of my head that are as big, if not bigger than it, are COD, GTA, RDR, Battlefield, WoW, Diablo. Whatever the case may be I hope the game is polished and is not a bug fest like AC3: L, I'm almost done with that game and what a mess it is. Still overall enjoyable, but I don't see potential from those developers to make a big jump like AC1-AC2 like I see Bend doing with Uncharted.

You have to consider that AC3:L is a port of AC3 engine, which is somehow broken even more badly on the PS3.

oh I wasn't trying to say you were wrong... I know the vita displays are pathetic in general. I just found it funny my target was like that when i went there last week.

I'm not quite in a major metropolitan area just a decently well known one. Madison Wisconsin.

My hometown's GAME store (in quite a big town in southern England) had an entire wall dedicated to Vita when COD came out. I guess they were expecting it to sell the system.

Now it's back to just a couple shelves. They have even more PSP games than Vita. D:

zulux21

This is where I am. I try not to get worked up over things like this. The only expectation I have for tomorrow is they show the machine and a couple of games. Anything more than that (price, launch window etc) is a bonus.

my expectations are even lower...
all i expect from sony is a montage of some sort... likely of games we already know about.
no announcements no nothing lol. I am going to watch because the ps4 should be shown off, but even then I am expecting it not to be ><;

I wouldn't be surprised if the event actually turned out to be an announcement of an announcement lol.

PSM was supposed to be just that, along with many other ipod/android games like fruit ninja, cut the rope, angry birds, etc. Too bad that initiative is a major bust, it had so much potential too.

any time you force a customer to have to load up a different section of the store just to look at games you are doing something wrong. all of the PSM games should be right there with new releases when i boot up the vita store. I shouldn't have to go to a new section to find them as that just results in me not caring about them.

Achtius

If the Vita became an indie machine I would pick it up in a heartbeat: FTL, Fez, Braid, Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami, Frozen Synapse, Binding of Isaac, Legend of Grimrock, Limbo, Superbrothers, Defcon, Uplink...

Fuck.

I would pick up FTL again, but the problem is that by the time it comes to Vita, those games have already been through like 3 steam sales. I hate double dibbing :(

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Yep, just disappear quietly and tell no one.
Looking forward to tomorrow :) Do we know how long that thing is going to be?

In JANUARY? Where have you been yesterday?

i had a long post discussing stuff, but i deleted it and voice my right to the Gth amendment.

but you're right. yesterday was crazy. oy.

AwRy108

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Vita version has better leaderboards I think and is on the go. But it has gimped levels and scoring system. (no points gone for crashing)

PS3 has better levels, hazards x10, the better scoring system. But the leaderboards aren't as good.

Please define "gimped levels" and "better levels". Are the differences purely cosmetic, or are there actual differences in level design that negatively effect gameplay?

zulux21

How's the Disgaea 3 port on Vita?

I'm itching for new time sink as I'm little burnt out on Persona at the moment.

i haven't really sat down with it but to my knowledge it's exactly like the ps3 version, just with all of the dlc, some new content, and some new features such as full map control.

aka like disgaea 1 and 2 before a proper port, a shining example of what every port should be.

it runs great, if that's what you were asking. i'd check screenshots to see the visuals. i was a bit disappointed with the non-hd sprites, but it is otherwise good.

disgaea 3 didn't have HD sprites on the ps3 either so it not having them on the vita shouldn't be a surprise.

btkadams

How's the Disgaea 3 port on Vita?

I'm itching for new time sink as I'm little burnt out on Persona at the moment.

it runs great, if that's what you were asking. i'd check screenshots to see the visuals. i was a bit disappointed with the non-hd sprites, but it is otherwise good.

Twinduct

Please define "gimped levels" and "better levels". Are the differences purely cosmetic, or are there actual differences in level design that negatively effect gameplay?

Quoted for new page, would also like to know :p

Err yeah ... so this is embarrassing ..

Top Bottom