• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

So sad about Superbot. Really hope this doesn't mean we lose out on the sequel we've all been wanting :\

EDIT: TOP OF THE PAGE - BUY PSABR AND SUPPORT A DYING DEV!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Never understood why they did this.
Game never charmed me from day one... in fact, I never understood where they thought the demand for such a game came from.
Then I played the demo. Seemed to be a generic (to me) take on SSB. Pretty much what I expected. Put it in the "maybe if I found a sealed PS3 copy for $15, someday" list.

Hah, same. But add "then I'd self-harm since I don't like Super Party Game Brothers." :(

I just need crash, spyro and FF5 support for the vita and I will be golden for a long time.

I'm with you on the Crash support. I'm dying to play the first again and try the 2nd and 3rd.
I'll take Spyro support, since I never played them and have them because of PS+.
I couldn't care less about FFV though. Didn't like the game from what I've played to start with. Then I went from the fan translation (good!) to the Square translation (someone should be fired!). Add in the load time problem that I think affected all the SNES games ported to PSX like that (FF4, FF5, FF6, Chrono Trigger)... no thanks... not even owning it free from PS+ would I bother with it at this point... but if it makes others happy, bring it. Just so long as R-Types and R-Type Delta support come with it. :)

Hah, same. But add "then I'd self-harm since I don't like Super Party Game Brothers." :(

Pretty much... I'd only consider it for a combined purpose of feeding my trophy habits and the fact that a couple of my friends actually play it so I might have some fun online with them, but that's about it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So sad about Superbot. Really hope this doesn't mean we lose out on the sequel we've all been wanting :

If you were to ask me what kind of game Sony has no place making, a mascot brawler would be at the top of the list.

If they'd have done a little research into the PlayStation brand and found out (as a current thread is showing) that the only notable thing Sony has behind in it gaming is GranTurismo, it would have halted then and there. The PlayStation roster isn't much to celebrate when you take out the third parties.

So sad about Superbot. Really hope this doesn't mean we lose out on the sequel we've all been wanting :\

Whew?

With PASBR and (calling it) Sly 4 mega-bombing in every territory, Cross Buy really hasn't had the best coming out party, huh...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

No, the game suck and thats it, do not buy shitty games.

Sony should've gave the game to a good developer if they wanted a Smash clone that is good, Superbot failed and failed hard with it,the horrible roster, the awful focus on super which ruined the game, the annoying level design, what a waste of money and time.

TheSeks

With PASBR and (calling it) Sly 4 mega-bombing in every territory, Cross Buy really hasn't had the best coming out party, huh...

Hey, DOA5/5+ being cross-buy DLC and Marvel 3's cross-buy DLC with vanilla are pretty ace.

No, the game suck and that its, do not buy shitty games.

Sony should've gave the game to a good developer if they wanter Smash clone that is good, Superbot failed and failed hard with it,the horrable roster, the awful focus on super which ruined the game, the annoying level design, what a waste of money and time.

Superbot really had no hand in the roster. That's completely Sony's fault and licensing their popular "all-stars" was a complete failure. That should've sent alarm bells ringing at Sony HQ as soon as they couldn't get Crash/Spyro/etc. in.

The super mechanic isn't the issue, the issue is the "fighting" has been weak and trying to be a smash clone really doesn't work when you're also trying to be a fighting game.

Would've done better if they just went full out 2D/3D fighting game style instead of a Smash clone. Alas...

Damn, I've been playing GoW II on my Vita using remote play and it really shined on that screen (and with these sticks). Barring one lag spike in 2 hours and the usual back touch shenanigans, it's pretty awesome and after playing this I'd really love a Vita GoW.

breakfuss

My thoughts are that cross-buy shouldn't be the selling point. Let it speak for itself. Sound Shapes and Zen Pinball are perfect examples. It's nice to have, but I would've bought them regardless.

ZeroAKA

Since PSASBR is still being handled by Santa Monica right now, is there still a slight possibility that we'll see future patches or even DLC? It was my most played PS3 game during winter break. :(

I want another Sony crossover game on the Vita and PS3/PS4.

zulux21

Since PSASBR is still being handled by Santa Monica right now, is there still a slight possibility that we'll see future patches or even DLC? It was my most played PS3 game during winter break. :(

I want another Sony crossover game on the Vita and PS3/PS4.

I would imagine the two dlc characters are still coming... they didn't release and i missed snagging them for free did I?

Noi

If you were to ask me what kind of game Sony has no place making, a mascot brawler would be at the top of the list.

If they'd have done a little research into the PlayStation brand and found out (as a current thread is showing) that the only notable thing Sony has behind in it gaming is GranTurismo, it would have halted then and there. The PlayStation roster isn't much to celebrate when you take out the third parties.

I disagree.

Of course, when you're inviting Dino, Big Daddy and Raiden to the PlayStation celebration party, you're already off to a wrong start on that.

RpgN

I would imagine the two dlc characters are still coming... they didn't release and i missed snagging them for free did I?

They should be out around Feb 13 I think?

Shame about Superbot. I went back to the game yesterday and today and it really is decent besides the character roster (should have been more) and UI could have been better. The fighting system is very satisfying, the characters that are in the game are made with care, the levels are great and there are so many things to collect. Oh well :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hey, DOA5/5+ being cross-buy DLC and Marvel 3's cross-buy DLC with vanilla are pretty ace.

Superbot really had no hand in the roster. That's completely Sony's fault and licensing their popular "all-stars" was a complete failure. That should've sent alarm bells ringing at Sony HQ as soon as they couldn't get Crash/Spyro/etc. in.

The super mechanic isn't the issue, the issue is the "fighting" has been weak and trying to be a smash clone really doesn't work when you're also trying to be a fighting game.

Would've done better if they just went full out 2D/3D fighting game style instead of a Smash clone. Alas...

well they didn't even used many of the SCE characters,yet we got two Coles and dudes with swords.. it's their fault,they could've managed a good variety of character with only Sony one but they didn't.

the focus on Supers was big part of problem, it sucked all the fun you get in a game like Super smash, and I agree the fighting too..honestly there are too many problems and too many mistakes are all related to Superbot lack of talents.

TheSeks

Nah, Super Mechanic in a Smash clone is an interesting idea, it just didn't work here because they were using "Smash fighting" mechanics. If they actually had to have you control space and have two of the buttons be like P4U's "normal/special/persona normal/persona special" buttons, I'd think it'd work pretty well.

Also I'm absolutely HATING Sigma's changes to hard mode. I'm still struggling on these motorcycle dudes without the G. Throw. I might resort to Ninpo (which I HATE to use) to get past them to the boss because fuck having to play dodge and hope my Swallows hit on their blocking asses.

(Funny enough, the scroll comes back on Master Ninja. TEAM NINJA DOOOOOOOOOOOOOG)

zulux21

Nah, Super Mechanic in a Smash clone is an interesting idea, it just didn't work here because they were using "Smash fighting" mechanics. If they actually had to have you control space and have two of the buttons be like P4U's "normal/special/persona normal/persona special" buttons, I'd think it'd work pretty well.

Also I'm absolutely HATING Sigma's changes to hard mode. I'm still struggling on these motorcycle dudes without the G. Throw. I might resort to Ninpo (which I HATE to use) to get past them to the boss because fuck having to play dodge and hope my Swallows hit on their blocking asses.

(Funny enough, the scroll comes back on Master Ninja. TEAM NINJA DOOOOOOOOOOOOOG)

really I think it just needed a mode that was a direct rip off of smash brothers with the % damage instead of super kills. I know there is a stock mode, but stock loses some of the excitement when you can't be at 400% damage and surviving despite flying all around the stage due to the light hits you are taking while avoiding all of the heavy hits.

Also a better name would have helped... the name screamed WE ARE EVEN TRYING!!!!!!!! just like playstation move heroes did (and that game literally wasn't remotely trying to be any good, just a cheap cash in that was developed enough to classify as a game instead of a tech demo lol)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Battle Royale is a good name...if they used that BR concept..not smash.

I mean,open world game with PlayStation characters on an island, survival and killing, with time limit of 3 days to kill eachother,the Online play like that too(so DayZ-ish)

now this is awesome.

TheSeks

That's hilariously batshit and I'd love to smoke whatever you're smoking, toto.

DigitalOp

Banned
Is it okay that I'm a little upset by this?

I mean the game wasn't perfect by no means, but I really liked it.

Despite all these negative feelings coming to light when the devs get closed, I think alot of other people know that the game isn't even all that bad, and was actually pretty damn fun when you had a good match

Rip superbot

I think more dlc and a sequel is still possible

Now I remember why I don't take opinion from people who suck at fighting games talking about fighting games.

What does it even mean trying to be a fighting game and a smash clone? Smash is a fighting game already.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
What exactly is Sony trying to accomplish with Cross-Buy? I think it's a misguided policy.

i think its an added incentive to spend a little more money and get two versions of the game.

also, a reason to buy a vita, since if you already own any crossbuy games you already have a library.

I think cross-buy can go two ways. People either think 'oh sweet, if I buy a Vita then I can play these games anywhere!' or 'Well if I can just play it on the PS3 I already own why would I bother with the Vita version?'

Sadly I think more people think the latter. :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
What exactly is Sony trying to accomplish with Cross-Buy? I think it's a misguided policy.

Cross-buy and Cross-play initiative is brilliant, two versions of the game in the price of one and I can play it everywhere I want and every time, however it failed because there is nothing worthy right now, games that could've work well really good with that wasn't cross-buy/cross-play(or don't have Vita version).

TheSeks

I think cross-buy can go two ways. People either think 'oh sweet, if I buy a Vita then I can play these games anywhere!' or 'Well if I can just play it on the PS3 I already own why would I bother with the Vita version?'

Sadly I think more people think the latter. :(

Well, that and it only works one way. No portable->PS3 digital copy buying.

daoster

i think its an added incentive to spend a little more money and get two versions of the game.

also, a reason to buy a vita, since if you already own any crossbuy games you already have a library.

You spend the same amount of money as you would for most other PS3 games...

And if Cross Buy was intended to sell Vita's, it's failed horribly, like a lot of Sony's direction with the Vita. Most people aren't going to buy a Vita because. "whoa, I just bought MLB The Show and I get the Vita version for free...I need to buy the Vita now!"

At most, it's a neat little gift for those who own both the PS3 and Vita, but it Sony just hasn't thought this strategy through.

Most people aren't going to buy a Vita because. "whoa, I just bought MLB The Show and I get the Vita version for free...I need to buy the Vita now!"

Thank god we got someone who can speak in behalf of all humanity! Take a look at PS+ threads and you'll see a lot people considering getting one just because they are sitting in a bunch of potentially unplayed games.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
You spend the same amount of money as you would for most other PS3 games...

And if Cross Buy was intended to sell Vita's, it's failed horribly, like a lot of Sony's direction with the Vita. Most people aren't going to buy a Vita because. "whoa, I just bought MLB The Show and I get the Vita version for free...I need to buy the Vita now!"

At most, it's a neat little gift for those who own both the PS3 and Vita, but it Sony just hasn't thought this strategy through.

i mean from a vita stand point - youcan get the 1 vita version or pay a little more and get both versions..

i think the crossbuy concept is an excellent idea, but it's been poorly executed as a lot of sony things have been...thank god for PS+ that is a saving grace.

cyborg009

Banned
Cross-buy and Cross-play initiative is brilliant, two versions of the game in the price of one and I can play it everywhere I want and every time, however it failed because there is nothing worthy right now, games that could've work well really good with that wasn't cross-buy/cross-play(or don't have Vita version).

Toto would you buy The Puppeteer if it was Vita/PS3 for $ 40-50.

OmegaZero

You can wait for them to charge, dodge, and then combo them as they turn around/stop to shoot you.
EDIT: Or something like that. At least that's how I remember dealing with them since flying swallow was hit or miss.

daoster

I have no problem with cross-play, as I think that's a neat concept, but I think as for Cross Buy, is just part of Sony's confused direction with the Vita.

One of the Vita's problem is with Sony's messaging of it, which is the "console on the go". I know many in this topic think it's awesome for "console on the go," but I think it confuses consumers, and confuses developers as well.

Not to say that that I'm against all forms of Cross Buy, as some actually work (Sound Shapes for example), but in the case of a game like, let's say Sly 4: I think it would have been better to either develop fully for the Vita and utilize the hardware and release it exclusively to the Vita, or just the PS3 and no cross buy at all.

Of course, in either examples, I would also have hoped Sony would market it, but one step at a time...

Thank god we got someone who can speak in behalf of all humanity! Take a look at PS+ threads and you'll see a lot people considering getting one just because they are sitting in a bunch of potentially unplayed games.

Thank god there are plenty of people considering getting a Vita for a bunch of potentially unplayed games. Will these lot of people go from considering to actually buying one, and if these lot of people from GAF who eventually buy one, will they turn the Vita's fortune around signficantly?

There are a lot of people considering to buy the Vita, for a variety of different reasons. The problem is, are Sony's moves actually pushing these people to buy?

You can wait for them to charge, dodge, and then combo them as they turn around/stop to shoot you.
EDIT: Or something like that. At least that's how I remember dealing with them since flying swallow was hit or miss.

Why bother with hard mode? Just kill Doku in chapter 2 and then quit and play very hard... repeat and get to master ninja. Then play on master ninja.

Hrnqkas.jpg

Y-Z

I got 100% in Jetpack Joyride today. I don't know how but that game kept my interest for a really long time. It's nice we get some freebies from time to time allthough i can't imagine you would pay for the items as they are mostly not pay to win.

Cross buy is a great idea - the problem is it was applied to wrong games.

It's really stupid that GoW Ascession doesn't have Vita version.

Top Bottom