• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Battle Royale is a good name...if they used that BR concept..not smash.

I mean,open world game with PlayStation characters on an island, survival and killing, with time limit of 3 days to kill eachother,the Online play like that too(so DayZ-ish)

now this is awesome.

This sounds fucking awesome. And I gave up cursing as last year's New Years Resolution, so I only break them out when I feel like I really need to.

10 / 10 Totos (the good kind)

OmegaZero

He always goes for that one hit grab on me. Or I'm too far away and he does that ground-pound wave attack. :/

Just roll jump at a medium distance away from him, moving just far enough to make him follow you but not so far that he'll do the shockwave attack. He'll eventually have to do the dashing charge.

Or stay close and roll away whenever he brings his hand back to avoid the grab.

Fusebox

Banned
PS Vita is the nanny handheld. Let me turn the brightness to max ffs! And the sound is so soft through headphones that I suspect there is some volume limiting going on too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
PS Vita is the nanny handheld. Let me turn the brightness to max ffs! And the sound is so soft through headphones that I suspect there is some volume limiting going on too.
I think Persona 4 somehow got around that limitation, since the sound is so big through phones that I have to turn it down at times.

I think that might be related to your battery level. Sometimes mine lets me turn it to the max mid-game, and sometimes it doesn't.

breakfuss

Dumb question, but what safer place to ask than among fellow vita refugees.

Phonetically, is it neo-"jaf", or "gaf"?

Secondly, anyone think Sony's stealth marketing for Sly 4 is deliberate? You know, since he's ..."sly" and all. Just a theory.

So is Katamari worth the $12.50 if you like old PS2 one? Or is it a slap in the face?
Honestly, I don't think it's worth it if you have an iDevice, where it can be bought for less than half this sale price. I do enjoy Katamari Forever on the Ps3, though.

ZeroAKA

Secondly, anyone think Sony's stealth marketing for Sly 4 is deliberate? You know, since he's ..."sly" and all. Just a theory.
The latter. And lol, Sony marketing.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it if you have an iDevice, where it can be bought for less than half this sale price. I do enjoy Katamari Forever on the Ps3, though.

Yeah its going to go very well with their stealth sales...

Iacobellis

Yeah its going to go very well with their stealth sales...

Did somebody say, "stealth sales"?

397435_453259438061178_1271361593_n.jpg

Hi! I've been saying that since the moment the roster got leaked. :p

I remember. It was impossible to fight that hype, everyone was basically stroking each other over the roster.

No. Problem wasn't just the roster. Problem was the phoned in gameplay.

I kind of mentioned that before - that they needed to nail the gameplay. The super system didn't work and I feel like they should have tried to have the super system on top of a traditional health or percentage system. It would still have been different but be able to satisfy people wanting a more familiar system.

I am not against the game, but really, the end product was nothing special. And they really needed something special to be a hit.

In the end, what we were left with is a smash brothers with fewer characters, less popular mascots, and a gameplay mechanic which is different, but not particularly interesting. I feel for superbot, but they should really have went crazy with the game, but they didn't.

I mean, they could have done tons more to increase the roster, just using Sony's own IP. ... Instead, we have a small roster, packaged in the most unattractive and staid UI I have seen outside of iOS, using a gameplay mechanic that didn't excite anyone.

They could have used more Sony IPs but they didn't, probably because the devs. didn't want their assets in the game or maybe it was just by Superbot's choice. The third party stuff was just sad, like everyone wanted Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Snake, etc but they just didn't have the budget for it, or so it seems.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just roll jump at a medium distance away from him, moving just far enough to make him follow you but not so far that he'll do the shockwave attack. He'll eventually have to do the dashing charge.

Or stay close and roll away whenever he brings his hand back to avoid the grab.

Eh, I kept running into the walls to where he'd trap me. I'll give it another go later but I'm already in the Catacombs and gotten the G. Throw, so what the fuck. Pointless to do that now that Ryu's mostly "powered up." But really fucking with the item placement is one of the worst things Sigma did.

Sigma Plus' faults are mostly down to hardware and weird choices (back touch to power up Ninpo instead of items that did in Black, really? Bow controls being fuck awful, really?). Sometimes I wall run when I don't want to due to the finicky sticks.

Quick note for the Project DIVA f players that the Snow Miku module set is now up via search. Just search for "diva" and scroll allllll the way down.

OmegaZero

Eh, I kept running into the walls to where he'd trap me. I'll give it another go later but I'm already in the Catacombs and gotten the G. Throw, so what the fuck. Pointless to do that now that Ryu's mostly "powered up." But really fucking with the item placement is one of the worst things Sigma did.

Sigma Plus' faults are mostly down to hardware and weird choices (back touch to power up Ninpo instead of items that did in Black, really? Bow controls being fuck awful, really?). Sometimes I wall run when I don't want to due to the finicky sticks.

Yeah, you'll either get used to it or you wont.
At least in NGS2+, the bow is assigned to a circular touchscreen button.

EDIT: You get items that upgrade your Ninpo still. Jewels of the Demon Seal.
The back touch gives your Ninpo a power boost depending on what level your Ninpo is.

Fusebox

Banned
I think that might be related to your battery level. Sometimes mine lets me turn it to the max mid-game, and sometimes it doesn't.

From what I've read it seems to be done on a per-game basis. Apparently Sony have a rule that games must run for a certain amount of time and the way some devs meet that requirement is by throttling brightness.

Just wish I could bump Uncharted brightness up a tiny bit more.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The back touch gives your Ninpo a power boost depending on what level your Ninpo is.

Yes, which is my point: I shouldn't have to "power up" my ninpo with gimmicks. I should Y+B command and that's it, Ryu summons a smack-down power and it's a base power at level 1-2-3. No weak-mid-strong powering up shit.

Shai-Tan

Banned
So is Katamari worth the $12.50 if you like old PS2 one? Or is it a slap in the face?

It's OK but the levels are repetitive and limited in size compared to Katamari Forever (the last game on PS3). The soundtrack is also is not good compared to the PS3 version (you can buy those songs as DLC in the Vita version if you want to throw money away). ALSO to get any of the (10?) bonus levels you either have to grind for hours to unlock them or spend even more money.

but the controls...

OmegaZero

Yes, which is my point: I shouldn't have to "power up" my ninpo with gimmicks. I should Y+B command and that's it, Ryu summons a smack-down power and it's a base power at level 1-2-3. No weak-mid-strong powering up shit.

Ah that's what you meant.
I agree, but seeing as I rarely use Ninpo unless I'm in a pinch, I don't mind it too much.

Can anyone vouch for Ridge Racer? I know it was a DLC hell hole at launch, but if I can pick up a good chunk of the game for 20$, that's cool.

It's decent, in that It looks and drives nice - but it's reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly repetitive and I deleted once a decent racer (NFSMW) came along (besides Wipeout). It's fun, until you actually play it for a little bit.

Takao

Banned
I kind of suspect the only sports games Vita will get are roster updates for FIFA, The Show, and Madden. EA only did one NHL on PSP, PGA games stopped years ago too.

PSP version of NBA 2K13 apparently outsold the Wii U version, lol.

zulux21

I kind of suspect the only sports games Vita will get are roster updates for FIFA, and Madden. :

PSP version of NBA 2K13 apparently outsold the Wii U version, lol.

I see the best sports game franchise, a game that also happens to be a first party game, slipped your mind... as MLB the show will no doubt get updated this year :p

Takao

Banned
I live in Toronto, and was born the same year as the Jay's last playoff appearance/world series win. You can't blame me for not getting that at first, lol.

zulux21

I live in Toronto, and was born the same year as the Jay's last playoff appearance/world series win. You can't blame me for not getting that at first, lol.

ahhh 1993, was a decent year
we saw the NES kirby game release.
star fox on SNES
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Super Mario All-Stars
Secret of Mana
Sonic CD
Myst
Virtua Fighter
and there the new companies nVidia Corporation, and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. founded, just to name a few things :p

I haven't decided if I will get mlb yet... I haven't put much time into 2012 on the ps3 at all yet... so I might get 2013 on the vita to play while watching the white sox lose lol.

When you get to the skeleton dinosaur boss that sits in the lava (rising platforms all around) ... wasn't sure if this was a common tactic, but after having trouble i abused the fact that jumping in the lava only hurts you once (until you jump again). Hilarious seeing Ryu taking a lava bath and not taking any damage whatsoever, destroying the boss in a matter of seconds smashing his ass with the unlabored flawlessness!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

..fuck now I feel old.

I haven't decided if I will get mlb yet... I haven't put much time into 2012 on the ps3 at all yet... so I might get 2013 on the vita to play while watching the white sox lose lol.

I kinda want it, but I don't know if I feel like dropping 60 bucks on the ps3 version, unless there is a cross-buy option, but I haven't heard anything yet.

zulux21

..fuck now I feel old.

I kinda want it, but I don't know if I feel like dropping 60 bucks on the ps3 version, unless there is a cross-buy option, but I haven't heard anything yet.

despite the fact that I tend to put 100-400 hours of time into any mlb the show release I buy, I have problems paying more than $10-$15 for it. thus I usually just play last years version during the season when I want more baseball... and wait for this years version to drop lol.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
despite the fact that I tend to put 100-400 hours of time into any mlb the show release I buy, I have problems paying more than $10-$15 for it. thus I usually just play last years version during the season when I want more baseball... and wait for this years version to drop lol.

I bought 10 on the cheap one year, but couldn't get any roster updates and stuff.

I'm more inclined to buy it this year with the Astros moving to the AL West, but with a backlog and other games I'm more willing to play, it gets placed on the "maybe" list.

zulux21

I bought 10 on the cheap one year, but couldn't get any roster updates and stuff.

I'm more inclined to buy it this year with the Astros moving to the AL West, but with a backlog and other games I'm more willing to play, it gets placed on the "maybe" list.

yeah the rosters stay as they were. I just play road to the show anyways, so after a season the rosters are out of date anyways so it's not a big deal for me lol.

The whole redoing of the leagues does tempt me more to get 2013.... i'm hoping with the ps4 version next year we will see the online improved and then I might actually play it online with people lol.

Caoz

F the gravity rush alias boss battle.... Not fun, not fun at all... I am about to delete the game... It's been years since I have been so frustrated with a game

Sid

What's an atrocious native res? One that actually isn't native?
I was referring to the game's native resolution IE the resolution at which the game runs at natively not the screen's but the direct feed screens look very sharp so I think the final game will look clean.

Apath

F the gravity rush alias boss battle.... Not fun, not fun at all... I am about to delete the game... It's been years since I have been so frustrated with a game
The dragon thing that is damn near impossible to accurately hit? Gave me a lot of problems too, but I eventually got it. Keep trying!

Shoyz

It's weird to see people talk about unlocking an extra-difficulty via beating a near-unbeatable boss in Ninja Gaiden, a game where I'm completely stuck at a wall known as the first boss in the same topic that people complain about the difficulty of Gravity Daze, a game I had almost no trouble with at any point.

All you do is aim the circle over the dragon's head, and use a gravity kick. If you aim right it homes in on the target. Once Alias falls you can use the Triangle special attack to practically kill him in one go.

SmokyDave

NHL Arcade: 3 vs 3 port incoming.

I kid. A proper NHL title would be great.

It's weird to see people talk about unlocking an extra-difficulty via beating a near-unbeatable boss in Ninja Gaiden, a game where I'm completely stuck at a wall known as the first boss in the same topic that people complain about the difficulty of Gravity Daze, a game I had almost no trouble with at any point.

All you do is aim the circle over the dragon's head, and use a gravity kick. If you aim right it homes in on the target. Once Alias falls you can use the Triangle special attack to practically kill him in one go.
Run up the wall, jump off, kick him in the head. Repeat until dead. It's the easiest way I've found of beating him.

Ah that's what you meant.
I agree, but seeing as I rarely use Ninpo unless I'm in a pinch, I don't mind it too much.

It's just bonus damage, or at least that's what I thought in regards to the power up.
Besides that's how it was in Sigma except it was more aggravating because it was "shake the six axis".

There's a really simple solution to all these problems though, if you find them to be problems, people:

STOP.
PLAYING.
THE.
FUCKING.
GAME.

Problem solved. :D

SRTtoZ

qtA21oc.png

i want to believe

This is my dream.

LETS GO RANGERRRSSSSSSSS

On another note, I cant wait to see how MLB 13 the show plays since last years version, while good, was a PSP version remade for the Vita. This years should be the real deal *crosses fingers*

zulux21

On another note, I cant wait to see how MLB 13 the show plays since last years version, while good, was a PSP version remade for the Vita. This years should be the real deal *crosses fingers*

from what I have heard you really shouldn't expect much more from this year's version. It will be improved but it will not be the ps3 version. The size limitations apparently make it impossible for them to make the vita version the same as the ps3 version.... they should move up to 8gb cards for games already (32gb digital only vita owners be damned) and allow the games to be released on them even if they cost a bit more. Less compression would likely help with loading times on some games as well.

SRTtoZ

from what I have heard you really shouldn't expect much more from this year's version. It will be improved but it will not be the ps3 version. The size limitations apparently make it impossible for them to make the vita version the same as the ps3 version.... they should move up to 8gb cards for games already (32gb digital only vita owners be damned) and allow the games to be released on them even if they cost a bit more. Less compression would likely help with loading times on some games as well.

Well I'm not hoping for an exact console match but I am looking for a better framerate overall, especially in between plays and the new updated presentation, which was also missing from last years. Give me that and I am sold.

OmegaZero

If you're still stuck, try attacking him right after he rolls or does his dashing attack.

Shoyz

Started playing Jetpack Joyride. Remembered the worst part: 2000 gold for a mid-tier level up, get a mission to spend 4,000 gold on a final blast :(

Top Bottom