• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Ran rp

Eh, S.O.S. doesn't sound like much help.

IDK man if it is native res and looks this good I'll be more than happy but till then I have my doubts.....

Which screens showed aliasing?

All of 'em.

bmUploads_2013-01-28_977_Guerrilla_Killzone-Mercenary_07.jpg

bmUploads_2013-01-28_980_Guerrilla_Killzone-Mercenary_10.jpg

Sid and Derrick are all about the negativity, but we still love them

:lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
PSY・S;47294525 said:

All of 'em.

So stunning. Aliasing or not.

VanWinkle

Forget it I'll take back what I said,it looks clean and that's good enough.

Well I mean, there's nothing wrong with treading carefully when we get first screenshots of games, because it's hard to know for sure. If there were no aliasing in these screenshots OR if they were released at a really high resolution then I would have been on the exact same side as you, but I think there are enough flaws in the images released to show that they are indeed direct feed :)

Sid

Well I mean, there's nothing wrong with treading carefully when we get first screenshots of games, because it's hard to know for sure. If there were no aliasing in these screenshots OR if they were released at a really high resolution then I would have been on the exact same side as you, but I think there are enough flaws in the images released to show that they are indeed direct feed :)
Right,this looks far and away the best looking Vita game and will most likely be my most played Vita game too.

Pallaris

Anyone else experience random freezing/hard lock-ups playing playing JetPack Joyride?

Never had a single problem with my Vita before this...even after the patch seems really unstable to me. Literally every other session.

Amazed this got past qa.

VanWinkle

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks Tearaway looks graphically incredible. People made fun of me for saying it looked "unbelievable" :( The self-shadowing on everything is by far the CLEANEST I've ever seen on Vita (no visible jaggies at all on the direct feed footage), the colors are amazing and varied, layers and layers of clean textures, absolutely crisp image quality, awesome lighting, and great stop-animation style animations.

Sid

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks Tearaway looks graphically incredible. People made fun of me for saying it looked "unbelievable" :( The self-shadowing on everything is by far the CLEANEST I've ever seen on Vita (no visible jaggies at all on the direct feed footage), the colors are amazing and varied, layers and layers of clean textures, absolutely crisp image quality, awesome lighting, and great stop-animation style animations.
It looks pretty nice yeah.

Derrick01

Banned

I definitely don't think it looks incredible but it's probably because of the art style. That one winter screenshot still sticks out in my head because it looked like a borderline N64 game in that one.

It didn't help that they showed it again pretty much right when the killzone trailer released.

VanWinkle

I definitely don't think it looks incredible but it's probably because of the art style. That one winter screenshot still sticks out in my head because it looked like a borderline N64 game in that one.

It didn't help that they showed it again pretty much right when the killzone trailer released.

But you don't think the examples of why it looks so good I said in my post are valid?

Derrick01

Banned
But you don't think the examples of why it looks so good I said in my post are valid?

Well the game should have all that stuff because the art style they're using doesn't look like something that really pushes the hardware. But yeah I guess it's never a bad thing that the image quality and all that stuff is good.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well the game should have all that stuff because the art style they're using doesn't look like something that really pushes the hardware. But yeah I guess it's never a bad thing that the image quality and all that stuff is good.

There is still something wrong about the artstyle, I got their "papers" idea but the world in the game don't look like if it was made of papers but instead it look like PSone era platformer with that ugly ass early polygons look.

they need to fix that artstyle somehow.

VanWinkle

There is still something wrong about the artstyle, I got their "papers" idea but the world in the game don't look like if it was made of papers but instead it look like PSone era platformer with that ugly ass early polygons look.

they need to fix that artstyle somehow.

Why would they need to fix it if you and Derrick are the only people on earth who don't like it?

Twinduct

The more I think about it..

...it was probably this :p

Well I'm going with Toto. I really hope the protagonist in P4G is all negative and matter-of-factly about life!

Or it might just not be canon to life then :/

Btw slightly meta, but Toma, any thoughts on Impire (PC)? (I know you like these kind of games)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I can do Ridge Racer for $12.49.

What does it come with, any of the DLC or are you just stuck with the 3 cars and 3 tracks, or whatever is on there?

I wanted it but I don't want it, unless it come with some extra shit that should have been in the game to begin with.

wouwie

I grabbed Dokuro when it was 50% off, and am incredibly pleased with it: great platforming and challenging--but not impossible--brain teasers that really force you to think "outside of the box", similar to how the Portal series does. IMHO, it's a gem that every Vita owner should own, even at $20 b/c there's a TON of game to be enjoyed.

Agreed. Did you finish the game already? I guess there are 15 stages in total?

wouwie

I agree. Looks amazing.

VanWinkle

yeah i might bite at that price. how much is all the dlc?

What does it come with, any of the DLC or are you just stuck with the 3 cars and 3 tracks, or whatever is on there?

I wanted it but I don't want it, unless it come with some extra s*** that should have been in the game to begin with.

Not sure. Hopefully cheap. There's some free DLC too isn't there? Or maybe that was only free at launch. Can't remember.

I agree. Looks amazing.

Woohoo!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Can anyone vouch for Ridge Racer? I know it was a DLC hell hole at launch, but if I can pick up a good chunk of the game for 20$, that's cool.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well I'm going with Toto. I really hope the protagonist in P4G is all negative and matter-of-factly about life!

Or it might just not be canon to life then :/

Btw slightly meta, but Toma, any thoughts on Impire (PC)? (I know you like these kind of games)

Not out yet! Premise is interesting and I will grab it for sure, but paradox lately had the tendency to release some shitty smaller indie games lately (the dwarf digging thing, forgot the name), so I am a bit wary. Screens look low budget, but I cant judge gameplay now. You could try Dungeons though. The gameplay was a bit casualized, but they nailed the play incentives and level progression pretty great.

AwRy108

PSY・S;47294525 said:

All of 'em.

Man, people have such entitlement complexes these days. Here, have a look at Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS and then try to complain about the lack of AA in the KZ Mercenary screenshots:

3DS-version-tales-of-the-abyss-25794569-400-240_zps075b2cdc.jpg

tales_of_the_ab-29_zpsc6655cf1.jpg

..the speech bubbles are so jagged that it looks like they're trying to portray anger.

AwRy108

Ouch, man.

EDIT: Buy Persona 3 Portable and Unit 13
just for you, Toto

I picked up Unit 13 again this weekend, and was quickly reminded how powerful the Vita is: Unit 13 looks fantastic for a handheld game! Also, the game itself is pretty damned good--such a shame that so few people gave it a fair shake. RIP Zipper Interactive...

I picked up Unit 13 again this weekend, and was quickly reminded how powerful the Vita is: Unit 13 looks fantastic for a handheld game! Also, the game itself is pretty damned good--such a shame that so few people gave it a fair shake. RIP Zipper Interactive...

Indeed. It's great for what it is. A 3rd person military shooter with "micro-missions" meant for a handheld.

How's it going? I've just been playing some today, I need to post some deeper impressions in the OT. Still find the Pop mixing difficult! D:

Yeah I'm still on Star, trying to make sure I go through all the songs first and get a handle on how they are. I want to level up a bit too~ I just love this game though, really wish the price was more approachable so more people would give it a chance.

I can understand if other people are not into rhythm/music games, but it really is a wonderful game and a breath of fresh air when I've just been playing racing games lately.

Salaadin

One of the more addiciting Vita games out there.
Someone needs to revisit that formula. Another game with similar mechanics and gameplay that fixes the issues Unit 13 had would be awesome.

VanWinkle

Man, people have such entitlement complexes these days. Here, have a look at Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS and then try to complain about the lack of AA in the KZ Mercenary screenshots:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/AwRy108/3DS-version-tales-of-the-abyss-25794569-400-240_zps075b2cdc.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/AwRy108/tales_of_the_ab-29_zpsc6655cf1.jpg[/IMG

..the speech bubbles are so jagged that it looks like they're trying to portray anger.[/QUOTE]

People aren't complaining about the aliasing, we were showing Sid that the aliasing means that these are are most likely direct feed rather than bullshots. They look incredible.

Mokubba

..the speech bubbles are so jagged that it looks like they're trying to portray anger.

Sorry, this made me laugh lool.

Anyways, I tested the Vita as the ultimate controller in Ultimate Marvel 3 on the ps3 and it just shows that the PS4 must have the Vita's d-pad at all costs.

I set it up so that i can call my assists, triple team super and X factor using the Vita's touchscreen and the rest of the buttons for the other normal attacks. I had a blast playing it and I did not need to look down for the touchscreen commands. It just felt natural.

The only downside was that the touchscreen commands are disabled if you go online which is a shame since there was no lag at all when I was playing in arcade mode. I then proceeded to get beat down by someone who's PSN ID is YOLOFOOTDIVE of all things lol.

Top Bottom