• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo - ED budget proposes elimination of Public Service Loan Forgiveness

People who have been in the program for longer than you are being told to take a hike.

I mean, what the fuck is this shit!?:

There's no use even paying taxes here anymore. My tax money goes to very few things I care about. Things that will better people's lives. It's really frustrating.

Full disclosure: I'm over $100k in student loan debt and it is an issue near and dear to me.

Hopefully it's stopped as I literally do not know what to do with out it. I planned to use it. My current job is because of the program.

Jenov

Ugh. Hopefully they grandfather as many people as possible. I think Trump could also just do an executive order to invalidate the entire program? I know Obama used executive orders for other student loan programs like PAYE and REPAYE that are at the Trump admins mercy now...

People who have been in the program for longer than you are being told to take a hike.

I mean, what the fuck is this shit!?:

There's no use even paying taxes here anymore. My tax money goes to very few things I care about. Things that will better people's lives. It's really frustrating.

Full disclosure: I'm over $100k in student loan debt and it is an issue near and dear to me.

I remember reading that article a few months back, but I think it touches on a different issue entirely. The ED definitely fucked up by saying people qualify then reneging, but the nonprofit organizations the plaintiffs work for aren't 501(c)(3)s so they needed to be qualifying public services, which aren't explicitly defined. I'm not excusing the ED's actions on these cases, but it's different from a wholesale cut of the PSLF program.

MIMIC

Banned
Fuck off. Jesus Christ. I was planning to enter the program next year. If they go through with this, I have to completely rethink my entire future track.

Do you really think this would happen if we had a Democrat in control of the Whitehouse or one or more bodies of Congress? This is entirely because of voting.

I think the only thing Dems would have done where either leave it alone, or try to do what Obama wanted which would create a maximum amount covered. I think I read it was supposed to be about 60k.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think the only thing Dems would have done where either leave it alone, or try to do what Obama wanted which would create a maximum amount covered. I think I read it was supposed to be about 60k.

Yep, which coincidentally is the average debt. That said it's still an enormous amount, as generally after 10 years of qualifying payments the remaining debt to waive is likely less.

njean777

are you fucking serious? I am about to try to apply as I work for the local county government in a community center.... fuck this

As somebody who did not come from a privileged background and has a shitload of law school debt to pay off.. this is scaring the shit out of me. I have been working in the public interest sector with the understanding that my debt will be forgiven. This fucking sucks if it happens.

Josh378

I say max exodus from public jobs if this passes. Why would I want to work for the public sector if I'm going to not get paid well and I'm not going to get student loan forgiveness?

My wife is a medical humanist and ethicist and has been sticking with a qualifying hospital to help pay off her student loans. Every single day is some new fuckery I fucking swear.

Linkura

I say max exodus from public jobs if this passes. Why would I want to work for the public sector if I'm going to not get paid well and I'm not going to get student loan forgiveness?

Yeah, it'll be fucking terrible. I've worked in admin at orgs that qualify for this program and I'm always happen to complete and sign the forms for people. Lots of talented people are utilizing this program to do great work in orgs that need them.

gwarm01

Someone once told me the loan forgiveness programs were written into the loan contracts themselves and that they couldn't legally remove people who were already on the program.

I have no idea if that's true, but as someone with 6-figure student loan debt who has been working exclusively in non-profit pediatric hospitals at a pretty reduced salary I'm hoping they can't just take this away.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm furious. I've been in the program for 8 years now. 2 years more and I'd have nearly $50,000 forgiven.

If this goes away, I can't afford payments.

Lev

Did DeVos also want to axe loan forgiveness for students who got burned from for-profit schools?

Zoe

My girlfriend is a teacher at a title 1 school and was set to have the rest of her loan forgiven in the next two years. I assume she's SOL now?

PSLF is a separate program.

Someone once told me the loan forgiveness programs were written into the loan contracts themselves and that they couldn't legally remove people who were already on the program.

I have no idea if that's true, but as someone with 6-figure student loan debt who has been working exclusively in non-profit pediatric hospitals at a pretty reduced salary I'm hoping they can't just take this away.

Nobody received a loan under one of the forgiveness plans. Your loan will be transferred if you complete the pre-qualification process, but nothing about the original loan changes.

Mookee

Republican politician waking up:

*yawn*
"Looks nice out"

"What absolutely awful evil ridiculous thing can I do today?"

"Ok! Lets fuck over millions of Americans that chose public service and based a zillion of their subsequent life choices on what I'm about to change!"

*What a day!*

I fucking loathe these people. Fuck. All. Of. Them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, looks like I have to change my loan repayment strategy...I'm 60+ payments into PSLF.

I wouldn't change it up quite yet--several lawsuits are forming around this and I think those of us in the program have a strong case. I know how you feel, though--I'm over 90 payments in :(

I would have definitely paid more over that time had this not been promised.

Zoe

This language didn't use to be on the ED's website :\

Even though the 10-year Standard Repayment Plan is a qualifying repayment plan for PSLF, you will not receive PSLF unless you make the majority of your 120 qualifying monthly payments under an income-driven repayment plan.

I hope that's not a hard rule and just there to emphasize that you will only have a remaining balance if you hadn't done the 10 year for the entire life of the loan.

Honestly I haven't even thought much about this. I'm on a income drive repayment plan, I pay $350 a month which is about $200 more than required. Do you have to do anything to set up the PSLF or just pay 120 payments?

Education, especially law degrees shouldn't be that expensive. It's unfair because it pulls the rug from out under the feet of people who have planned lives around PSLF, but something needs to be done. Perhaps adding in a long grace period would be helpful so you can telegraph this change, putting everybody on notice.

Kwixotik

Just in time for me to graduate from a professional in 3 months with six figure debt and a five figure salary. I was planning on using this program to pursue my profession without being controlled by my debt, but fuck it I guess. Life sucks.

It's not like I planned the rest of my life and my acceptance of this debt and entry into grad school based on this program or anything.

The Llama

Update:http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/05/23/trump_s_budget_would_kill_the_public_service_loan_forgiveness_program_for.html

According to language in the budget proposal, if it was to pass, "all changes to student loans would apply to loans originated on or after July 1, 2018, except those provided to borrowers to finish their current course of study", which effectively grandfathers older loans.
As someone hoping to use PSLF I'm relieved but still want to make sure the program stays in place for future generations.

There are still the Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Perkins cancellation programs.

Teachers are one important segment of course. But the current PSLF program covers pretty much all charities and all levels of government. That's a staggering amount of workers.

Furyous

Now, they've gone TOO FUCKING GOTDAMN FAR.

I am mad and dismayed at this administration's continued inability to a display a basic form of empathy to everyone that doesn't make $250,000+ per year. This could sink the economy faster than the cuts to the poor and flush whatever winning chances Repubs had going into next year.

Say what you want about Obama but he gave the common man a bunch of legislation that this administration refuses to support. This is what happens when you elect someone, Betsy Devos, to a position that they are truly unqualified for.

Zoe

Now, they've gone TOO FUCKING GOTDAMN FAR.

I am mad and dismayed at this administration's continued inability to a display a basic form of empathy to everyone that doesn't make $250,000+ per year. This could sink the economy faster than the cuts to the poor and flush whatever winning chances Repubs had going into next year.

Say what you want about Obama but he gave the common man a bunch of legislation that this administration refuses to support. This is what happens when you elect someone, Betsy Devos, to a position that they are truly unqualified for.

The PSLF was actually established under Bush.

With the amount of lawyers who are depending on this I hope that everyone affected can earn this. 10 years is a long ass time and you have to be on time with these payments.

Sessions probably wants to send grads to jail when they can't afford to pay their loans.

Top Bottom